Maybe

Maybe

Well, this is not going as Joohyun has expected.

Her genie sits in her class, completely oblivious to the fact that her entire class is staring back at him.

“Get in the damn jar!” She hisses, nudging him secretly. She prays hard the ground would suddenly shatter and swallow her up this instant because nothing will ever top this. Nothing will ever.  

“Joohyun, would you mind explaining who that gentleman is?”

Joohyun forces a laugh from , suddenly getting self-conscious. The only time her teacher would ever call her is to tell her to give the class the right formula, not to ask her why a weirdly dressed man is playing with her markers. “It’s an interesting story actually.” She starts, getting up from her seat to push him into her seat before she stands in front of him, trying to block him.

“Yonghwa, I wish everyone is gone and never remembers you.”

“Sorry, I’m off duty.” Yonghwa replies, making paper balls out of her history worksheets.

Joohyun turns to glare at him. “What do you mean? You said you would grant me wishes whenever I wanted them!” Yonghwa replies by throwing a paper ball in her face.

“I’m going to kill you!” Joohyun screams, strangling her genie while the rest of her classmates take out their phones to take a hundred pictures.

 

“Okay, as promised, I’ve done it.” Yonghwa says, standing in Joohyun’s doorway, interrupting her studying time.

“What did you do?”

“I made you a giraffe!” He announces, moving to show her the human sized statue made of…

“Why?”

Yonghwa giggles, his eyes looking like crescents. “Because you love sweet potatoes!”

“Uhm, Yonghwa.”

“Look, Joohyun, isn’t it pretty?”

“Yonghwa.”

“Do you like it because I spent-”

“Yonghwa.”

“Yes?”

“That’s eggplant.”

“I swear you hate me.”

 

“Do you like it that much?” Yonghwa questions as he stares at the giggling girl on the couch with a bowl of popcorn in her hands after she ate dozens of chocolate bars topped with a marble cake.

Her laughter gets an octave higher and he thinks that it is enough candy for the day. “Give me it.”

“No.” She holds the bowl tighter, making barking sounds at him. “I’m not giving up this delicious invention.”

“Stuffing your face with popcorn is not cute. You’re going to get them in your nose if you don’t-“

“It’s up my nose! Help, oh, my god!” Yonghwa laughs, snapping his fingers as the bowl of popcorn disappears.

 

“Why haven’t you made a wish yet?” Yonghwa asks one night when they are eating leftover pizzas because they ordered too much and had to keep having pizzas for every meal. Yonghwa is not allowed to order food, ever.

“I did.” She picks a pepper out of her pizza, staring at it for a while just in case.

Yonghwa grabs the slice from her hands, mumbling a thank you making Joohyun stuff a peperoni pizza in instead, not wanting to go through the entire process of picking peppers out of her pizza. “I meant real wishes. You could have anything you wanted in the world, so why not just ask away?”

“You already granted it.”

Confused, Yonghwa looks over to her. “I wanted a friend.” She replies, grinning when her genie breaks into a smile.

“Do you mind if we become more than that?” Yonghwa mumbles to himself, thinking the girl is not listening.

She giggles, “Maybe not.”