The Husband

A Mother's Choice

Author’s note:

this is an alternate end. you can read this one instead of the previous chapter, or you can read both.

if you would like to read another ending, please add me as your friend and tell me the details of your idea for the next chapter. thank you!

 

---

 

“I can’t, baby. Your appa is also sick.”

“But umma-“

 

Her eyes got teary, and I just… But my husband. Hyo Jong needs him. I need him. And even if I can’t save him, I want to see him one last time.

 

“Can I come with you then, umma?”

“…”

“Please? I want to be with you…”

 

Reluctantly, I agreed to her request, hoping that I could stop by a hospital then.

 

“Okay… I guess.”

 

She smiled ever so slightly, and I bundled her up. I wore my jacket, then slipped a raincoat over us. As I started to paddle my humble bicycle, I sang a sweet song to her, hoping that the child would sleep the whole way.

Everywhere I went, the screens were showing news of the earthquake, making me panic even more. If I weren’t carrying my daughter, then I swear I would've driven in a speed of a racecar.

I found a hospital, and dropped Hyo Jong there. She was sleeping deeply. I looked at her face, brushing the stray strands of hair on her forehead, then kissing her goodbye. I tried to savour her as much as I could; she was my heart, my soul, my pride and joy.

Then I got on the KTX, and slept the whole way to the city nearest Busan. I really can’t go straight there, because of the earthquake, and because of that, I panicked even more.

A train ride may not seem long at any other time, but this one was full of people’s cries and sobs. I could only curl on my seat and cry, worrying about my husband and my child I’ve left behind.

 

Will he be fine? Will she be fine?

 

Will I be fine?

 

---

 

I ran from the station, watching the endless carpet of ash in front of me. A young girl that I had known from the ride was next to me. She was beautiful, but her face was so traced with fear and worry that I can’t see the beauty that was supposed to radiate from her face.

She reminds me so much of my daughter somehow.

 

I hugged the child, hoping that my brain would successfully deceive my heart and tell me that this is my child.

I tried to run from reality.

 

We held our hands, and walked carefully around the debris littering the streets. Where could my husband be? I had never seen his workplace. I’m such a terrible wife.

I spent at least two hours scrambling around, and I eventually got tired. So we sat down on top of a fallen pillar.

 

“What’s your name?”

“Me? I’m Ji Hyo. Song Ji Hyo.”

“That’s pretty,” she smiled, “I want to have that name.”

I chuckled. “What’s your name, then?”

“Hyo Joo.”

 

What?

 

I stood in discomfort, feeling a little creeped out. Ah, but she’s just a child! It’s her name. She has her own father and mother. And I'm very certain there's a meaning behind it.

 

“Great then, Hyo Joo-ah. Do you want to start searching again?”

“Yeah.”

 

I checked my phone, noticing that the battery had died. Great, what now? I couldn’t imagine what will happen now. Is my husband alive? Dead? Injured? Ill?

 

I am sick of uncertainty.

 

Now I can’t really do anything. My voice is hoarse, my battery is dead, my eyes are tired, and my body is not that of a fit, young actress anymore.

Did my choice of living affect my family this bad? What if I never chose to leave the city? What if I never chose to live in a small village? What if I stayed an actress? What if-

 

“Song Ji Hyo-ssi! I think that’s where my father works!”

Startled, I watched her tug and pull my hand in somewhat a slow motioned movement before crashing into a part of the ruins. Hard.

Great. Just great.

I dusted my bleeding palms, then linked my fingers with her tiny, delicate ones. She looked so guilty that I had to whisper to her ears that I was fine and it was not her fault at all.

 

I really feel like I’ve betrayed my whole family.

 

Why am I standing in the middle of a ruined city, holding some other child’s hand instead of my daughter’s, and following her to search for her father instead of my own daughter’s father?

 

“Here. Come here, Ji Hyo-ssi.”

“Okay…”

 

We explored the rubble, hoping that our respective loved one will show up under all that wreckage. The SAR team has already arrived at the entrance of the city, the one I had passed a few hours ago.

 

“Ji Hyo-ssi! He’s here!”

 

I ran through, and Hyo Joo was pointing onto an area of the rubble, behind where I was standing. So I followed. This girl has kept me company, so I shall repay her.

 

“Ji Hyo-ssi, I’ll go find the rescue team, okay?”

“Alright.”

 

I watched as her tiny back slowly disappeared into the thick ash.

 

“Hyo Joo-ah!” I called. “Hyo Joo!”

“Yes?”

“Will we meet again?”

 

She smiled from the distance, and mouthed softly, “I hope so.”

 

---

 

Tearing up, I approached the remnants and tried to pull people out. As I pulled a middle-aged woman out, I saw a familiar face.

 

Him. It was him.

 

“Oppa…”

 

I cried over his chest, trying to find vital signs, but I was startled by a light and a warm, tingling feeling near my cheek. It was his phone.

 

21 missed calls from 여보 멍지~

 

My eyes instantly blurred from tears, but then I remembered that I had little time. So I checked his pulse.

He was alive.

I called with my raspy voice for the rescue team, and they came. What kind of miracle is this?

 

---

 

“May I help you, miss?”

 

I had arrived in the hospital barely seconds ago, missing my daughter so much I could die any moment now.

 

“I… I left my daughter here maybe… Maybe yesterday evening. It’s… 3 AM right?”

“Yes, it is 3 AM right now. May I know her name? Oh, miss, you are bleeding!”

 

“That’s not important,” I replied, “Kim Hyo Jong. Where is she?”

 

The nurse tried to get me to a doctor, but I refused.

 

“Where is my daughter?”

 

She pulled me into a room.

 

“NO!” Tears started streaming down, as I cried miserably for Hyo Jong. “I want her!”

 

She looked at me, piercing right into my soul.

 

 

 

“I'm sorry. She died, miss. 21.00 sharp last night.”