001

ceramic figures

"That's all for today's lesson, remember to keep practicing the techniques we've learnt today! We'll carry on next week," Mrs. Park, their pottery teacher announced. 

 

Soojung placed her fingers on her braille watch and scurried out of the classroom with her new completed sculpture in hand. Her sister was about to end school and she was running late (again). Ah, how careless, she mentally scolded herself. She hated making her dearest sister wait. 

"Off to fetch Soomin again? Need a ride?" Mrs. Park offered, flashing her usual warm smile Soojung vaguely remembers from four years ago. She couldn't see, but she feels it. Somehow. 

 

Mrs. Park has been a mother figure to her and she cannot be more than grateful to have her around. It has been four years. Four years since that painful incident that changed her life forever. Not only did she lose her parents in that fire, she also lost her sight. 

After the incident, Mrs. Park was kind enough to allow Soojung to continue her lessons at her pottery class for free. She did not mind about her disability and even hired Soojung as her assistant at the pottery school. That's where most of the money she survives on comes from. She's our lifesaver. If it weren’t for her, there wouldn't be Soomin and me today, Soojung always thinks.

"No, no, it's alright! I'll see you tomorrow, Mrs. Park!" Soojung says as she scurries off. 

 

She bumps into a strong lean body (a male, she thinks) - quite literally - on her way and she cusses when the sculpture she was holding in hand drops onto ground, shattering into pieces with a loud smash. "What the hell? Do you not have eyes?" 

 

Slightly embarrassed, the male runs his hair down his hair, resting it on the nape of his neck. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" He asks in concern before noticing the girl already on the floor struggling to gather up all the shattered pieces. And when she looks up, Jongin sees the prettiest face he swears he'd ever did. Even after she just cursed at him. Even when her face was glistening with freshly shedded tears. 

 

It was a sculpture of her late mother. Made from every touch and every memory she has of her late mother's face. And there isn't many left. That sculpture was just so important to her. It was so much work and effort to Soojung.

 

He squats down to help and then he sees the long white cane lying on the ground beside her and it hits him - the girl is blind. "I'm extremely sorry I broke your sculpture, it must've been really precious," he says as he helps her gather the pieces together, putting it into a plastic carrier. Hearing that, she cries even harder. 

 

Jongin was all flustered and nervous by now.  "I- I- I- I- I'll make you one! I- I- I- I'll make you one, I promise!" He didn't know anything about pottery and neither did he know why he said that. 

 

"Ah," she felts the glass pricked her index finger, leaving a stinging and burning sensation. Jongin reaches out his hand to help but Soojung shrugs it off, "Save it, it's all your fault." She lifts up the plastic carrier and her cane and walks’ away knowing it’s not. 

 

Jongin's longer and faster leg managed to catch up with her. "Here," he checks on her injured finger and pushes a rectangular strip of paper (not exactly) into Soojung's hands - a plaster, she thinks. "Use this, don't let it bleed too much." 

 

That was the first time Kim Jongin met Jung Soojung.