The new boy

Mid-Summer Stars.

 

"It began when I was in grade 7."

The little girl sat down ready to listen to Jongin's story.


Mum and Dad, I loved them and they love me, but I was starting to think that they didn't love each other anymore. Most morning's and evenings they start arguing,  most of I was too young to understand.. But this morning was particularly bad.

I had just woken up, half awake when I heard a smash, coming from the room. I bolted right up and headed to my door. I slowly turned the handle and pulled the door open, not making a sound. I tiptoed down the corridor and entered the living room. I quietly peered round the corner, glass was scattered on the floor, I saw mum crouched on the floor, crying, and dad stood in shock,

"Hunny, why did you break your favourite varse?" I heard my dad say, and watched as he went over to take the half broken vase from her hands. Mum smacked his hand away,

"ITS ALL YOUR FAULT, ALL YOUR FAULT, WHY DID YOU HAVE HIS JOB!!" She shouted, making me scared a little, as I hated hear my mum raise her voice like that.

"I know, I know, but its not my fault I got this job, I have to support our family as your just a housewife" dad snapped back

"Your away for months and months, leaving me alone to take care of Jongin, I can't have fun anymore, I want a divorce."

Divorce, the word everyone hates to hear, both for the couple, and also the children. I step back in shock, stepping on a bit of glass, I yelped in pain, mum and dad both turned to face me. Mums expression was shock and guilt, she didn't even ask if I was ok, she just got up and stormed into her room, slamming the door behind her. The sound of things being thrown could be heard and dad was looking worried. He looked at me with sorrow,

"Jongin, you should go to your room, i'll be there later, I just got to check on your mother." And dad also headed into the room, again shutting the door. They started to argue again, I couldn't take it anymore, so I ran back to my room, threw , myself under my duvet and burst into tears, why couldn't it be like before?

I must at some point fell asleep, because I woke up and I was tucked under the covers. A breeze made me shiver,  bringing in the sound of bird songs. Always calms me listening to bird songs. I knew it was dad, and I smiled, he really did come check on me. I got up, wanting to check how dad and mum were feeling, but a mellow melody could be heard around my room, stopping me in my tracks. I suddenly felt nostalgic as memories came flooding back of my dad singing me lullabies as a child.. I walked towards the window and peered out to see who was singing, and what I didn't expect to see was a boy,  a boy that sat on the window ledge of the house opposite to mine, gazing off into the distant,  a sort of loneliness was coming off him.

He voice touched me, went straight into my heart sending goosebumps up my body, and a warm sensation inside. I closed my eyes and listened, hoping it was never going to end, but he sang the last line. A tear rolled down my cheek, completely out of the blue. A knock at my bedroom door snapped be back to reality and as my dad spoke behind the door, I wiped away any sign of tears.

“Jongin? are you awake? can I come in?” my dad said

“Im awake! come in!” I said back.

My dad opened the door and looked directly at me,a gentle smile appearing on his face, he opened his arms out wide “Come here my son.!” My heart sank, and the tears started to fall, I ran into my dads arms, falling into his embrace, crying into his chest. He rocked back and forth, gently my hair, humming a lullaby, to calm me down. We stayed like that until I had stopped crying,

“Dad, are you and mum getting a divorce?” I softly asked, my head resting agaisnt his chest, hearing the *ba dump ba dump* of my dads heartbeat.

“Oh Jongin, i’’m sorry you had to hear it that way, but we’ve decided it’s for the best, we just don’t love each other the way we used too, and for your sake too, it must be hard on you having to here you parents arguing all the time. Of course it is entirely up to you, who you want to stay with!”

“No, no, it’s alright, i can cope, just please don’t split up” I pleaded I hated the idea of having to choose between mum and dad, it just wasn’t fair.

“Jongin, when your older you’ll understand that some decisions have to made and we can not go back on them.”

“But why, that !”

“Life does Jongin, so make the most of it!” My dad pulled me off him and looked into my eyes, still my hair “Your a good son you know, the best one ever! I’ll always love you, and so does your mother, I have to go to work now, so i’ll see you soon, bye bye”

“Don’t go...Dad...Please…”

“I’ll be back I promise, and then I can read you our story, so be happy ok!” A smile lit up on my face,

“Ok Dad, i’ll be happy, have a good day at work” and with a kiss to my forehead, my dad left for work leabing me alone in the house with my mum. I remembered about the boy, and went to see if he was still there, but no he wasn’t, I really hoped I would get to hear him sing again.


The next day was a monday, which ment I had to go to school, i'll be in seventh grade this year, the last grade of elementary. I was a little sad though because my parents were spliting up, so my head was down low as I made my way into my classroom and sat down.

"Hey Jongin! did you have a good weekend?" my friend Sehun asked, but I didn't reply, I didn't want to speak, was not in the mood. "Hey?Jongin? are you listening? Jongin?" Sehun continuted to get my attention, so I was glad when the bell went and the teacher walked in.

"Good morning class, now before we start we have a new student joining us today, he just moved here with his mum, please make him feel welcome." a new kid this late into elementary? a bit weird I thought, I looked up to see who the person was. A small boy entered the room, his jet black hair and big'owl' like eyes, were his distinctive features. I felt like I'd seen him somewhere before, but where? 

"H...H..Hi! I'm Do Kyungsoo, I hope we can get along!" The new kid stuttered and bowed to everyone in the class. The teacher then told Kyungsoo to sit at the desk at the back. I followed with my eyes as he walked past me to his desk, and I continued to watch as he sat down and got his things out, still not quite knowing why he seems so familiar. Then it clicked as I saw the distant lonely look in his gaze, this boy Kyungsoo, was the same boy I saw singing yesterday. My eyes lit up with excitment, I had to make friends with him, I wanted to here him sing again, and be touched by his lovely voice. Kyungsoo everted his gaze to look at me, as I was still staring. I sent him a big smile and a small wave, but I got nothing back in return. What a mysterious boy.


"Why did you stop there?" the little girl asked Jongin "I was getting into the story"

"Sorry my throat is dry, i'm old you see, don't have the same energy that I used to have, would you like something to drink?"

"Mm, I'm ok, just hurry up, I want to know how you became friends with Kyungsoo!" 

Jongin smiled, glad that this little girl was enjoying his story, but the best was still to come.