Chapter 1

Thousands of Footprints

She sat on the cold window railings, looking at the snowy streets outside.

 

Her eyes were blank and lifeless as she remembered her dear boyfriend’s face during his most recent visit. She cringed as she remembered the image of him, pressing his hand against the small window.

 

Ji Hyo tried to touch it. Instead of his warmth, she only felt the coldness of the glass welcoming her pale hand.

 

She longed for him. It’s been exactly 2 years since she last felt the secureness of his hands draped against her body. Although he visits her everyday, she still wanted him to hold her. She had always felt safe in his protective hug. His touch was addicting to her, his scent so pleasant as she snuggled against his chest. His orbs met hers as she adored them; so tiny, yet so beautiful. She couldn’t even express how much she loved this one man, how much she wants him to be next to her.

 

Yet she can’t.

 

This illness had taken her life from her. It didn’t allow her to see the love of her life. It was like a curse; like she had committed an unforgivable crime against life. The only thing she wanted was him, to feel his touch just once more.

 

---

 

Fate is kind.

 

That night was beautiful.

 

As the nurses opened the locked metal door to her ward, her savior came rushing to her. He slipped into the prison-like room, which seemed like a huge barrier that separates him with his other half. A barrier that made his life meaningless.

 

For such long days, he had only been able to see her through a tiny window, which was a snuggly fit to her face. For such long days, he had only been able to touch cold glass instead of her skin. For such long days, he had only been able to mouth loving words to ease her pain.

 

For such long days, he had only been able to cry as his other half was hurting.

 

She had waited so much for that moment, and she was engulfed in a wave of happiness. His fingers had never touched her for so long that she trembled. He pulled her into a tight embrace, holding her so tight he could barely breathe.

 

The man was choking on his own tears, drowning in his own feelings as he could feel his girlfriend clutch onto his shirt, somewhat overjoyed that she couldn’t hold back.

 

He just couldn’t hold it anymore. He can’t hold the desire to be able to lock her in his arms forever, the desire to be with her forever. And he knew that what he was going to do can’t be reversed or undone, he knew that his action may destroy his life. He knew that what he just did was a daring thing to do, and he knew he couldn’t turn back at this point.

 

“Give it, Song Ji Hyo. Give it to me. I’ll take it. I’ll live with it. Share it with me. I’ll be with you. I love you.”

 

---

 

Somehow, Ji Hyo felt glad. But somehow, a sense of remorse shadowed over her. Why would he choose to live inside this prison for life, instead of living his happy life? Why would he choose to face the thing he most feared of? Why would he face such pain just for her?

 

She knew he feared pain the most. He despised it. He never wants to feel it. But now, it’s like he reincarnated to a different him. He was willing to take that risk, to face his biggest enemy to be with her.

 

She still remembers clearly how his lips felt against hers. She remembered how she hungrily kissed him, longing for that feeling she hasn’t even experienced yet. It was her first, and his first, but that first one will cause him everlasting pain. And he felt it. He felt what he wanted.

 

No, not the kiss. No, not the pleasure. No, not what you’re thinking of.

 

The illness.

 

---

 

She looked at him and leaned her head against the cold glass separating her and her prince. He did get ill. He did get placed in the room next to her. But why is something still shielding them from each other’s sincere love?

 

They fought with the doctors just to let them change the walls separating their rooms into glass, and that alone took 5 months to negotiate. They would never let them have the only thing they wanted; each other. Ever.

 

Until that day.

 

They were mouthing words to chat as usual, when his eyes brightened up. He told her he had an idea. She was weak, and he was too, but she still took genuine effort to do what he instructed. It was simple:

 

"Move as far away from the glass as you can."

 

She was confused. What was he trying to do? Break the glass? No. Impossible. He would try, but he would never be able to. The glass is too strong to break. He’ll never-

 

The sound of glass shattering woke her up. She shook her head; her eyes looking as if it was about to pop out of her head. Tears were flowing down her cheeks as she saw her lover collapse on the floor, panting heavily, right fist bleeding badly, but smiling.

 

She ran to him and hugged him tight like never before. She showered him with kisses, not caring about the glass shards that punctured the sole of her foot. She then dragged him to her side of the now joint room, laughed, kissed, and cuddled.

 

He seems to have noticed glass pieces sticking out of her thin foot, and he worriedly took the bloody shards out carefully one by one, as his girlfriend did the same to ones stuck on his back when he collapsed. When the last shard was pulled, their eyes met each other, and time seemed to have frozen while they stared at each other.

 

It was so beautiful. His eyes were so captivating. She felt joyous at an instance, like a shot of euphoria has been released into her blood. Her heart beat wildly, her ears humming the sound of her blood rushing around her body, and she could hear the same thing happening on her lover’s body.

 

Yes, they were ill. But no, it was not enough to keep them apart.

 

---

 

Ji Hyo smiled, as the man of her dreams stood at the far edge of the hall. The lights were dim, but it didn’t affect her at all. The hospital was closed for that very special day of hers.

 

Memories rushed through her head as she walked down the hall. The floor was lined with an old carpet, but some generous patients helped them stich up more fabric onto the moth-eaten cloth so that the aisle could be stretched longer, giving her more time to cherish time being unmarried.

 

And maybe reminisce a bit.

 

The man looked as pale as a bed sheet; he was shaking hard because of his worsening condition and the nervousness didn’t help. But still, he stood straight, waiting for the woman of his destiny come into his welcoming embrace. It seemed like forever, but as she drew nearer, he knew that this will bind their love forever.

 

She arrived next to her to-be husband and held his trembling hands. She faced the same direction as him and eyed the priest, dressed in a complete attire to prevent the illness spreading. Across the hall, the patients were gathered, watching the first gleeful event happen in that dismal building despite the mourns of pain that echoed through the halls.

 

Despite her pale, skinny figure, she looked exceptionally beautiful, dressed in a fluffy white dress her parents picked for her. And despite his even paler face, he looked dignified in a suit of his parents’ choice. And there they are, the proud parents of the couple, crying in their own green isolation attire, trying to not get the disease while still seeing their children’s special day.

 

When it was time to say their vows, the hall grew silent. Even the groans and moans stopped, as everyone’s eyes were pinned on the couple, waiting for them to finally accept each other as husband and wife.

 

With their wedding kiss, the crowd roared in gaiety, happy for the couple that managed to get through everything and still love each other, who managed to be jubilant despite having their wedding in a hideous place.

 

She looked at him. He looked at her. She smiled at him. He smiled at her. She was happy. He was happy.

 

She loved him. He loved her.

 

They were one.

 

---

 

They walked secretly outside the horrific building. It was tidy, but you would definitely loathe it if you have to be locked up in there for years with not even a crime as a reason.

 

Is an illness a crime?

 

The question lingers in their head, but they shrugged it off as they ran to the beach. Both exhausted themselves as quickly as they got ecstatic, but they continued their journey to the waterline, hand in hand.

 

They arrived at the coast and threw their shoes far away, landing on the golden sand. They exchanged glances, and started going barefoot into the sand. Her dress brushed against the sparkling ground, and she ran to the water.

 

She felt the sea water brush against the sole of her feet, followed by the soft touch of her husband against her bare arms. She instantly felt a wave of elation down her spine, and bolted through the sand, running as if there was no tomorrow. He was slightly shocked, but seconds later was already running after her.

 

They got out of breath soon enough after that, and just started to walk around excitedly, teasing each other. Both landed on the soft sand, their bodies sinking into each other’s embrace. They joked, laughed, just like what a normal couple would do. But if you look more closely, something was indeed different.

 

They were exchanging last words.

 

---

 

Strong wind blew over the two bodies, but they lied still, as if they were bound to the sand. Tears started to stream down their pallid faces as they detected that it was coming on each of their bodies.

 

Death. It is finally coming.

 

She her lips wet. was too dry to talk, but she tried. At first, her voice came out as a vexatious croak, but she managed to softly whisper words into his ears.

 

“The journey with you… It had been priceless. From when we first met, then our first date. When I got sick, you came to me everyday like a loyal puppy. You chose to live with something you are petrified of just to be closer to me. You… You did everything. You did everything to make me happy… I cannot put into words just how much I love you.”

 

She paused. There was a lump on she couldn’t get rid of, and she tried to talk.

 

“Thank you,” she murmured softly.

 

Without hesitation, the other being started talking as well, but no voice came out of his depleted throat. With all his might, he forced his squeaky voice to come out, and started talking.

 

“I love you, Song Ji Hyo. You are my one and only. You are my love, my life, my heart, my soul, my everything. And right now, we are bound to be husband and wife. I love you. I’m sorry if I made you cry. I never meant to make tears flow out of your eyes. And for now, all I can say is I love you with all my heart.”

 

She had always loved the words “I love you.” So simple, yet so beautiful. Such innocent and simple love, two people who wish to be bind together in an everlasting relation. And she thought that those words could only be said to the right person.

 

He had always been careful with the words “I love you.” It was perfect. It was so bewitching; captivatingly beautiful. But as much as it could make the person who receives it merry, it could also break someone if not used carefully. And he never wanted to say it to anyone but his family and his lover. Not because he was selfish, but because he never wanted to break someone with it.

 

And now, here are these two people, laying side by side and hand in hand, whispering the words “I love you” so much that it rings in the other’s head.

 

“I love you, Song Ji Hyo. I will always do…”

 

Ji Hyo could feel his hand relax, his face gradually grew peaceful. She nuzzled to his neck, and felt his last breath huff against her hair. She hugged the deadened body of her late husband and a tear dropped out of her eye.

 

Losing someone you love is hard.

 

But begging for that someone to stay is even harder.

 

Especially when you know that someone is hurting.

 

She looked back and smiled dearly. She gazed at the sand behind her. She profoundly eyed the footprints she and her husband made. Some were washed down, some were blown away, but some remained.

 

Just like her memories.

 

Some were painful. Some were beautiful. And this man, laying lifelessly with shut eyes and limp body, the man who passed away next to her, had washed down and blew away the painful ones, and imprinted beautiful ones in her heart and mind.

 

“I love you, Kim Jong Kook… Thank you for these thousands of footprints you made with me…”

 

 

 

Her last breath blew against his neck.