One

Misread

1.

 

            It took you a while to realize, but the sound that managed to wake you up in the middle of the night turned out to be your phone.

 

            It had completely slipped your mind that you switched to a new phone, and that you had yet to personalize it, so therefore you didn't recognize the new incoming text ringtone.

 

            Are you asleep?

 

            You scrunch up your nose in annoyance. What the heck?

 

            Typing a quick passive aggressive “not anymore” you threw the phone to the end of your bed and flopped back onto the bed. Whoever texted you better gets the hint that you were waken up by that text and stop replying.

 

            The room was pitch dark and filled with comforting silence. Your eyelids are heavier by the second and you were thankful that you are just about to get back to sleep. Whoever texted you can wait until tomorrow.

 

 

 

            Living alone wasn’t always the easiest thing. Especially about the cooking – there is rarely any motivation to make anything good since you will just be eating it alone.

 

            You end up picking at the scrambled eggs that you had half--ly wiped up in under two minutes. You remember you forgot to put the salt in it. The eggs tasted bland on your picky tongue.

 

            Suddenly, the phone started to buzz.

 

            A text.

 

            I’m sorry. I was just overly excited about the fact that you actually replied.

 

            ... Uh. What?

 

            Checking the sender, you realize it was from the same person who texted you last night.

 

            Your eyebrows must be so tightly twisted that they could form ropes. You were so confused right now. Since you had just bought this phone, no one had your number yet… So why would anyone be texting you… And feel super excited that you replied…?

 

            You put the phone into your bag, and get to leave to class.

 

            Whatever. It must have been a text sent by mistake.

           

 

 

            The bell rang, and while your classmates hurried to leave, you took your time. It wasn’t like you had anything to do other than go back to your studio apartment…

 

            “Hey!”

 

          You looked up. It was your academic advisor. She smiled prettily at you, pointing to your newly acquired textbook. “How are things going?”

 

            “… It’s alright.”

 

            She smiled again, this time harder, as if she was trying to rub all that prettiness into you. “I know how it is as a transfer student – it must be hard, eh? You can always talk to me if you need anything,”

 

            You nod and pretend that you will do that.

 

            “So…” She pointed to the phone that sat next to your notebook. “How is it?”

 

            … It’s phone – how good can it be?

 

            You refrain yourself from rolling your eyes and letting your sarcastic nature escape your calm face. No, she’s too nice – she doesn't deserve your mean lashes. “… It’s alright,”

 

            “…Oh,” For some unknown reason, she seemed to be relieved.

 

            “Yeah.”

 

            “Oh! I’m not saying there’s supposed to be something wrong it!” She shook her hands around, emphasizing on it. “I was just wondering if my phone was alright with you,”

 

            You nod and pretend to care.

 

            “Well, tell me if anything bothers you, okay? I’ll see you around!” She walked out the door, but not before blinding you with another one of her overly pretty smiles.

 

 

 

            Your lemon popsicle in hand managed to melt down your wrist as you stared at the phone in another hand for a good thirty seconds.

 

            Why are you not replying again? I’m not asking for us to return to before – I just want to talk to you again. Please don’t ignore me again. Please reply.

 

            … Uh. Again? 

           

            A pretty smile flashed before you mind. Your academic advisor’s unsure voice and uncomfortable gestures when she mentioned about how the phone is doing…

 

            Oh.

 

            It wasn’t a text sent by mistake.

 

            No wonder she was so quick as to giving you her phone when you mentioned that you didn't have one yet. Trying to get away from a persistent approach-er, huh.

 

            You the melting juice off your fingertips and throw away the wooden left over stick into the garbage bin near by.

 

            Oh well.

 

            It isn’t any of your business anyway.

 

 

 

           

            The clock ticked half past – only five more minutes to go until the professor was officially late – and therefore meaning class would be canceled.

 

            The cap attached to the end of your pen hit the desk in a steady beat, as your classmates around you already started making plans for the following hours if the class was canceled.

 

            “How about we go to that Chinese restaurant that I mentioned last time? I heard they had great dim sum~”

 

            The boy that had a backwards-placed cap on him clapped his hands eagerly. “Ohhhh! Good idea, YoungJae!”

 

            “Ehh, I wanted to try that dessert place we passed by last time…”

 

            “It’s okay, Jinyoung-ah, we can go next time…”

 

            You scrunch your nose together, unable to hid your disapproval at their carefree tone. There is still another five minutes to go and already they are planning their escape. They are so –

 

            “Yah, stop being so noisy,”

 

            You can’t help but try and catch a glimpse of who spoke the words on your mind.

 

            A boy, probably around your age…With brightest red hair you had ever seen.

 

            “Mark hyung! Stop thinking about that girl, she’s never going to reply to you!”

 

            Oh, just another boy drenched in a mud puddle named love.

 

            Mark narrowed his eyes and did a… Pout. For some reason, you managed to find that… Attractive.

 

            “Shut up.” He said stubbornly. “She’s replied before okay? She’s probably been just busy now.”

 

            And for some reason, his hopeful voice managed to stay in your head for the rest of the day.