Someday

Text Message

At lunch on that very same day, I sat alone at the very end of a table, as expected. The canteen cafeteria was humongous. I’ve never seen anything like it. Well, I have seen American school cafeterias in movies and tv shows but you get my point. I took a bite of my crunchy red apple that tasted absolutely wonderful and fresh whilst reading my book from earlier today.

"Annyeong," a guy, who suddenly came up to sit opposite me, said. The only other korean person I know at this school is Jungkook and as I looked up, I was right. It was him. He was smiling really brightly which was getting a tad bit annoying. Also, I noticed his shirt. It’s different.

"You changed your shirt." Stating the obvious much, _____.

"Oh. Yeah. I spilled some orange juice on my shirt and had to borrow the school’s gym t-shirt," Jungkook explained. Another spotting: Jungkook talks fast. Faster than most people but not in a weird way.

He looks good in that shirt.

He really does. I have a thing for guys that look good in uniforms. Heart eyes everywhere. I didn’t realise I was staring until Jungkook asked me a question. In Korean at that.

"Which part of Korea are you from?" Wow.

He asked me in satoori(dialect) which is now my greatest weakness ever. Wow my gosh. My heart literally melted right at that moment. I understood what he was trying to comprehend but I just stared at him for a full 5 seconds as my heart melted like marshmallows on s’mores. The apple I was chewing almost fell out of my mouth while I stared.

"Seoul." That didn’t sound rude. Did it?

I could see him look a bit disappointed to my one word answer. He tried to ask me another question in Korean and that’s when I snapped.

"Can you please not talk to me in Korean?" That sounded rude. Really rude. .

I tried making things better by saying, “I’m not really fluent in my Korean.” His face lit up a bit as if saying ‘oh’. He continued to talk to me which made me feel like I should give him a chance. I don’t really accept friends that easily but since I felt lonely and pathetic, why not? We talked and it was getting interesting. I learnt that his blood type is A, his favourite colour is red, his birthday is on the 1st of September, he knows how to B-boy and he really idolises the KPOP idol, G-Dragon.

Amidst the laughter we both shared, I accidentally caught a glimpse of Colbie from across the cafeteria. She was giving me death glares like before. I concluded that she likes Jungkook and I’m messing with her boyfriend-to-be. Oh boy.

The bell rang, lunch time was over. Jungkook and I went to return our trays together as we continued our conversation. The next thing I knew, my t-shirt was stained with nacho cheese and tomato dip. How did this happen you ask? Colbie Hart of course. Who else would do such an immature thing. Good thing Jungkook was there to see it. Maybe not so good but here’s what happened.

"You did that on purpose."

"My finger’s slipped. Sorry," Colbie lied, with a malicious grin plastered across her face. It was so obvious that this whole thing was staged. Colbie’s so on my list. Jungkook glared at her which made her face turn innocent.

"I have an extra t-shirt in my locker," Jungkook dragged me out the cafeteria and to his locker. Colbie heard and she girly-groaned and stomped on her heels to class with her clique scurrying close behind.

"Isn’t this the t-shirt you wore earlier today? I thought you said you spilled orange juice on it?"

"Actually, I didn’t want you to feel uncomfortable about wearing the same shirt as me with all the coincidences and all," Jungkook confessed, with his hand rubbing the back of his neck as he looked down at the ground, avoiding my eyes.

Awwwwww. My heart nearly melted. It’s only the first day of school and a guy had already done something sweet for me. Jungkook actually thought about how I felt. I felt my cheeks flush a bright crimson red as I ran to the nearest toilet to change. I forgot to say thank you after the royal shyness suddenly chose to take control. His shirt still smelt like him. Smells like cologne and man’s deodorant. It was a bit oversized and it hung more loosely on my body than my own shirt. I tried to make it work by tucking it in my jeans and folding up the sleeves. I rushed out after one last mirror check, folding my revolting shirt as I walked out. A tall figure was leaning against the wall just outside the girl’s toilet. It was Jungkook. He was waiting for me.

Double awwwwww. Because 1) I never had a guy wait for me before and 2) Jungkook’s a real sweetheart.

“You waited for me?” I asked, with hopeful eyes.

“Um yeah. I don’t know where’s Room 143 Chemistry so…” Yeah right.

There’s a specific section of classrooms for chemistry lessons and everyone knows where they are, even I know where they are. Turns out, we have a lot of lessons together and that means I’m with Jungkook most of the time at school. Wonder how Colbie feels about this.

We went into Chemistry class together and all eyes were on us. Jungkook and I froze, awkward as ever. I immediately explained for the both of us and showed Mr Brawnson, the chemistry teacher, my shirt as proof. Luckily, he let us off with a warning. There were two empty seats and so we sat together and ended up being partners.

After school, we exchanged numbers and followed each other on Instagram, Twitter and even friended on Facebook although neither of us uses it as often anymore. That very night, I received a notification on Instagram that @jeonjungkook liked my picture from 22 weeks ago. It was safe to say Jungkook was stalking me on Instagram and probably on my other social media links too. I felt flattered and laughed at how flustered Jungkook must be when he ‘accidentally’ liked my picture which exposed his intentions. 

Stop being a creep Jeon Jungkook - I boldly texted him. I regretted it the next second.

Hahaha sorry my fingers slipped - he texted back.

You sound like Colbie from earlier today

Who’s Colbie? - Impressive Jeon Jungkook. I like your sarcasm.

Are you kidding me? She’s the girl that dumped her nachos on my shirt and also the girl that assured you that you’re in the right Math class - , did I really send that text?

You were eavesdropping huh. - He knows. I didn’t text for some time and thankfully he changed the subject.

How about someday I teach you Korean and you teach me English? - I screamed. That’s all I can express.

Sure. Goodnight :)

Goodnight :)

I ended the conversation because I was so happy because technically he asked me out. I think. I practically screamed into my pillow all night. I kicked the air out of excitement. Jeon Jungkook, what have you done to me. I’ll be waiting for that someday.