003 — a strange encounter

Ruler's Throne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Jacqueline" a voice rang, "Your time is near."

"Who's there?" "You've been coming to my dream countless of times, you should have already shown your face!"

"I'm afraid this is not the right time," the voice continued, "Prepare yourself for a long standing journey."

"They are coming after you."

"Who? Who will come after me?" Jacqueline's voice cracked in nervousness, she then sighed, "Explain, can you? What is actually going on? Why are you telling me this?"

"It is not necessary. More importanly, you have to be aware of the situation," a glowing bright light can be seen accross the mysterious room, the voice rang through every thick walls that appear to be in there, "Your highness."

____________

"..line... Queline..." "Jacqueline! Hey, wake up!"

As Jacqueline opened her eyes, a short looking, round-faced girl stood infront of her very eyes. She lazily rubbed her eyes to get a more assuring view of the person, and then it hit her hard, "Tiffany! What the hell?!"

The latter sighed, flashing an unpleasant expression on her face, she crossed her arms as Jacqueline tried to figure out the ground she was at at the moment, "Oh, here."

"No 'Oh, here.' for you, young lady. Have you forgotten about today?" Tiffany puffed her cheeks rather funnily. Jacqueline had to hold herself back not to laugh at the latter infront of her.

"What? I remember I have done all of the tasks you have assigned me," Jacqueline carefully brushed the dust of her sleeves and made sure her hair was at the place. She then managed to stand and continued brushing her pants, "...I think."

"'I think'? YOU THINK WHAT?!" Tiffany screamed, for that Jacqueline had to cover her ears, "Sweetheart, you don't want me to remind you again, do you? We are all servants, we work not when we have to work, we work because we HAVE TO work. Apparently, it doesn't mean that when you're not assigned you can be lazing around the castle! What if representatives of the other cities see you?! For that the kingdom's name will be cruelly stained!"

Seeing the head of servants babbled like that, Jacqueline couldn't help but to chuckle. It was no surprise for her to receive such lectures, she was used to it, "You didn't even give me a chance to explain or to answer, Tiffany sunbae."

The woman put her hands on her cutely-oversized hips, and pouted unintentionally. She shook her head vigorously that her short curly hair fell and swung, blew series of cold wind to Jacqueline's face mercilessly, Jacqueline had to turn her body around to avoid that. Upon realizing her messy state, Tiffany tucked her maid-headband back to it's supposed place and coughed, "Y-You deserve that, okay? Stop acting like a spoiled brat when Lay is around. I'm serious, you should know your-"

"I know, chief. I know it well," Jacqueline yawned, "I was just having some rest, okay? I am a human too, I had my own limits. It's better to be seen sleeping than to be seen collapsed." And for that she ran away.

"Y-Yah! We're not done yet! Aish, that brat," Tiffany cursed. She tapped her chin, thinking seriously, "But I think she has a point there.... About sleeping.... "

 

____________

 

It's that dream again. It keeps on haunting me. The same dream I always have since I was a child, and I still don't understand the meaning of it. After made sure Tiffany wasn't following, she started to stroll around the front side of the palace, quietly thought to herself.

"Ah, what a bothersome," she shook her head, "But, I think I need to figure this out." Is there a chance that those voices in my dream belonged to my parents?

As Jacqueline started to reach the main hall of the castle, she saw a group of people, queuing to enter. She hid herself behind an enormous tree, try not to be caught wandering by those nobles around or else, she would again be scolded. Eventhough she was a mere servant, she tend to be rebellious towards strict rules, as she ridiculously believe that everyone is equal in their own way, but nevertheless can decisively prove it to the others even Lay himself. But as the time goes by, people started to dismiss the strange side of her.

"I wonder why are there so many visitors? It has never been this many," she mumbled to herself as she peeked, "So many unfamiliar faces. How odd."

"What are you doing?"

Jacqueline jumped in shock. Yikes. All of a sudden, a furious looking man was standing behind her, pe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter