I

Painting Flowers

Minwoo never expected to see something stupefying in his life.

He had a day off from work; a day off from his colleagues whose pondering faces he saw every day, a day off from his paper work that demanded to be checked every minute. The brunette instantly made plans for himself the moment he came back home from work the previous day: hang at Donghyun's house in the morning, spend time dancing(his favourite pastime) by himself in the afternoon, and then going to the park alongside his home before making dinner. 

It was 6pm after 5 hours of warming up and learning new choreographies, and he was getting ready to go to the park. Minwoo only expected relaxing time by himself, basking in the refreshing cut grass as the sun sets to dusk. However, he had only walked for 5 minutes when he spotted someone– a guy? he couldn't really see–about to climb over the rails of a bridge nearby. 

Minwoo knew the place well to know that underneath it was just water, and something made him dash across to the bridge.

He leaped across shortcuts just to get there, and by the time he was metres away the guy? had already climbed over the rail, and was holding on to it, head tilted down towards the sea. Did Minwoo see fear in his eyes? 

"Stop!"

Minwoo halted himself right in front of the guy– well, in front of the spot where he climbed over at. The latter whipped his head around to look at the brunette, and Minwoo prayed he wouldn't let go of the railings.

There was a short moment of silence as they stared at each other. 

"Can you climb back over..?" the brunette finally spoke, a pleading tone Minwoo didn't even know was there could be heard in his voice.

"You won't call the police?" the male's voice quivered, and Minwoo almost felt sorry for him.

"I won't."

The male was hesitant for a while as Minwoo could see him chewing on the inside of his cheek, before he decided to get back on to the sidewalk with the brunette's help.

Now that Minwoo could see the male more clearly, he observed his visage. He was a blond– Minwoo was unsure if natural, but the color looked good on him(Minwoo noted). He had a facial shape that articulated his jaw line, and had pretty double eyelid eyes that were the highlight of his face. He also had a pretty nose! And pretty lips– wait, what?

There were beads of sweat on the sides of his head, and the blond was blatantly panting. A lot. From the nervousness, probably.

The brunette shook himself off the thought, and focused on the blonde in front of him. He put both his hands on the latter's shoulders with a firm grip, and looked him in the eye. "What's your name?"

"Youngmin," the blond responded, eyes darting on the floor and not meeting Minwoo's.

"Well, Youngmin, let's take this to your home and sort this out, okay?" Minwoo tried to sound as convincing as possible, but the look on Youngmin's face was reluctant.

"You won't understand," Youngmin was quivering, and the brunette could see tears slowly welling up in his eyes– it had been months since someone cried in front of him.

"I'm sure I will, okay? We can talk this out, and maybe we can have a meal after this."

The blond was still uncertain of where he was leading himself into, but he turned around to the opposite direction to his own house, and Minwoo followed.

The latter had to cancel his plan of eating dinner alone that night. 


"So, what do you actually do to earn a living? Since you're living alone for now?"

Youngmin had explained to Minwoo that the former had a twin, but he went overseas to pursue his studies, and since their parents had died not too long ago, his twin thought it would be better for the both of them to part then. The blond accepted it regretfully, and described his current plan. "The bridge.. You know? Where I almost jumped off?"

The younger male nodded.

"I sell paintings there," Youngmin confesses. "And, sometimes, even play instruments. It's hard to earn money from it, but I do it anyway."

Minwoo actually finds interest in this, and asks, "What do you normally paint pictures of?"

Youngmin smiles. "Usually of things that has a special story behind it. Maybe in hopes that one day, someone will buy one that has been through my situation before, and sympathise with me." 

When the brunette didn't respond, the blonde continued. "I used to draw portraits of Pikachu, the pokémon. They remind me of my twin brother as he used to have plushies of it lying all around the house, and with them gone, I feel empty. It's one of the eccentric things I'll remember about him. Little kids would buy my pokémon paintings a lot," his lips pursed at the thought of the memory. Minwoo just looked at him the whole time he was explaining, and the feeling he could hear in the hyung's voice was setting him in a position where he wanted him to be happy and continue doing what he loves.

When Youngmin turned his head to look at him and finding Minwoo grinning at him;

It was the first time the blond smiled that week. 


The two of them eventually exchanged numbers, and Minwoo would find himself looking at his phone occasionally during work, impatiently waiting for the next time he could text Youngmin again to make sure he's okay and safe. He even has to apologize to his colleagues when they ask to spend some time together in which Minwoo excuses himself by saying "I have to rush off to a friend's house again, and it's important! Sorry!" only to spend the rest of his day with Youngmin, the brunette taking him to places he has never been to before. 

During this routine Youngmin admits he feels happier, but notices that on some days when he's been triggered, he finds himself thinking about the bridge again. Minwoo would apprehend this, and it usually took him the first move, to pull the blond into a hug. The blond tries not to cry, although Minwoo reassures that it's okay.


They shared their hobbies with each other. Youngmin would teach Minwoo how to paint("That's really pretty!" "The color blending is nice,") and occasionally they would playfully argue on who painted better on a certain drawing, and this often led to paint fights which ended up in both of them just sitting in their stools with their faces coated in paint. Minwoo would energetically teach Youngmin dance routines, and the brunette could sense he was uncomfortable with it at first as he usually sits as he paints or plays instruments, but when Minwoo shows a choreography he created himself he was impressed by how fast Youngmin would pick it up.

Before long, the walls of the duo's houses were taken up by their silly paintings, and Minwoo would always visit Youngmin only to find him either practicing a dance Minwoo taught him, or learning new dance steps probably from YouTube. 

"Are you okay?" Minwoo walks into the house and sits on a sofa near the dancing blond. 

"Hmm?" Youngmin removes the earpiece that was plugged into his ear, and went to sit beside him. "What do you mean?"

Minwoo hesitates, probably to get his words right. "Uhh, your condition and all. Are you feeling better? You know.. Much happier?" 

Youngmin smiles. "Yes, Minwoo-ah. Thank you." 

Minwoo returns his smile with a grin and an eye smile, with the blond laughing afterwards.

"I never understood how you were able to do it.. To bring me out of my misery, my grief." The blond laments, propping his elbows on his thighs and looking at the ground. "I could never tell anyone else. Not my closest friends, because they were happy-go-lucky and fails to sympathise. Not Kwangmin, because I didn't want him getting all worried sick and using his money to hop on the next flight back to Seoul just to check on me. I really wanted the best for my brother," Youngmin could feel his eyes welling up, and he put his face in his palms, to stop the tears from falling. "And then I met you."

Minwoo was struck, but he managed to give his friend a side hug. "Yah, don't cry. I'm always here, okay?"

Youngmin just sniffles. "I'm so thankful to have met you." 

The brunette laid his head on Youngmin, his arm around the blond's shoulders, fingers lazily rubbing small circles on his back to hopefully soothe him down. Youngmin then sat up. "Minwoo-ah,"

"Yes?"

"Can I draw a portrait of you in one of my next paintings?"