First Snow fin.

First Snow
Please log in to read the full chapter

Shieun was not normally the type of person to wander about the parks around her neighbourhood. However, there was an exception: it was her favourite season now- winter. She loved winter- she didn’t know why- maybe it was because of the warmth you get from the cosy fireplace inside the house. Maybe it was because of the delicious, sweet hot chocolate she often made herself during frosty nights and mornings. Maybe it was because of the soft blanket that she often bundled up into that made her look like a snowman, but she knew there must be something stronger that made her like winter out of all seasons. Maybe that reason was because she’d met Myungsoo a few years ago, three years to be exact, around this time.

But despite the fact that she didn’t like wandering around the outside, she was. Because it was winter, she didn’t mind and plus, she was waiting for the very person whom she’d met at this time, at this exact place. It had been a cold morning- she’d always liked to write and take photographs with her little Polaroid so she could instantly print them and stick them into her little book of notes. She liked illustrating her writing with photos and nothing made her feel happier than to be able to take photos that portrayed her emotions accurately. And that was why she was out there that day, sitting on the lonesome park bench, writing. Although it was so cold that she had a thick woolly scarf and a warm coat on, the sun was glistening down on her and her surroundings in the afternoon and she didn’t mind the temperature one little bit.

It was then- a strange boy had approached her when she was taking her first photo of that afternoon to accompany her writing.

“There’s better lighting if you turn it that way,” he’d said, whilst pointing to his left. He was obviously referring to her camera.

“Thanks,” she’d lightly commented back and as she turned left to capture the beautiful scenery through the glassy lens, she noticed that indeed, he was right.

“I told you.” He’d smiled, as if he had read her mind. “Here, let me try and get that angle right for you,” and in an instant, he was trudging over to her in the snow, leaving a trail of footprints behind him.

“Thanks,” she’d mumbled again, as he’d gently taken her camera and squinted through the glass at the top.

“Ah, yes. Right about… now.” The snap of the camera could be heard, as the photo printed out and he shook it softly for it to show up clearly. It was a really nice scene- it made quite a big difference to the one she had carelessly took. Embarrassed, she didn’t know what to say back to him and instead, stood there awkwardly smiling and rocking back and forth on her heels. Just as it was getting a little too awkward, he’d spoken up, which she had been very grateful for.

“It’s a nice camera you’ve got there. Really brings the scene out well.” And as she’d looked up to catch a glimpse of his eyes, she’d found they were so much more mesmerising than she’d made them out to be before.

“Haha, thanks but no. Mine’s just an old Polaroid that was quite cheap anyways. I just use it to take a few snaps to accompany my notes. It’s thanks to your advice that this one really came out well.”

“Well, I’m not normally used to these- I haven’t used them in quite a while because I use my other digital ones now, but it’s been so long and when I saw you, I couldn’t help.” He smiled brightly once more, and Shieun had felt soft butterflies in her stomach from the gesture. Before she could answer him, he’d spoken again, “So… why do you accompany your notes with photos? I mean, normally don’t people take photos then write captions about that?”

She smiled, not surprised really. She nearly always received the same question every time. “I don’t know if I’m honest. I just really liked writing and whenever I look back at my work, it always looks so bare. Plus, I feel like I can express my emotions in my writing more accurately when I capture it with photos. It’s just to help me along, I guess.”

“Oh, that’s interesting. Do you mind if I have a look?” He’d noticed her light brown, vintage coloured book that was now tightly gripped in her hands. Shieun didn’t normally let strangers read her thoughts, especially after a few minutes of meeting, but for some reason she felt like this person would understand. He would know and appreciate her feelings and so, she’d decided.

“Sure.”

 

After this, one meeting had become the next- they’d introduced themselves and soon enough after a year or so of friendly then more intimate meetings, he had confessed his feelings for her and she had accepted, telling him that she reciprocated them. Since then, the two had been doing well and it was that winter day that Shieun had thought back to, and was the reason why she had decided to take a walk around the park now.

She opened her same small notebook and took in a breath of fresh, crisp air, before beginning to scribble her thoughts down. Once she had written around about a paragraph or so, she smiled and brought the small camera up to her eyes and had perfected her angle before: SNAP. Instantly, she pulled away and gently shook the photo that had just been printed out.

“Snapping at it again?” Shieun heard a playful voice behind her and she turned around to be greeted by Myungsoo, who was approaching her. He had a thick,

Please log in to read the full chapter