Winter Kisses

FanForYeol Christmas Fest 2014 Edition!

Title: Winter Kisses by yong-star
Genre/Rating: PG
Warning: none!
Word Count: 1046
Description: Christmas was always Chanyeol's favorite holiday.
Author's Note: Just a really short oneshot I wrote because who doesn't love Krisyeol and some hot chocolate? Special thanks to J who will always be my fanfic partner-in-crime :')

 


 

Christmas was always Chanyeol’s favorite holiday.

 

When Chanyeol was nine, he met a boy who had just moved in with his mother into Chanyeol’s neighborhood. Chanyeol found out that the boy was Chinese, but his Korean was decent enough to understand. His name, though, was a little hard for Chanyeol to pronounce; the boy’s name was Yifan, and he was two years older.  They had fallen into conversation as their mothers were, and Chanyeol felt a little awkward. Was Yifan always angry, or were his eyebrows just naturally shaped downwards?

 

Chanyeol shared his excitement and love for Christmas, especially when he bakes cookies with his mother to leave with a glass of warm milk for Santa. Yifan stayed quiet (just like he did for most of their conversation) and suddenly said the most shocking news Chanyeol has ever heard in his nine years of existence.

 

“What are you talking about, Santa Clause isn’t real.” Yifan quietly said before he could think. His eyes widened as he turned to the boy beside him, unable to think of a way to save the boy’s innocence. The look on Chanyeol’s face said it all: it was too late. Chanyeol looked like he was about to cry as he ran to his mother, Yifan quickly following with the most apologetic look he had.

 

The next day, Chanyeol found Yifan at his doorstep with cookies, freshly made hot chocolate, and an apologetic expression that mirrored that of a kicked puppy. Within two hours of hot chocolate, snacks, and games, Chanyeol had completely forgotten about the Santa Claus’ non-existence. Just when Chanyeol thought Christmas was ruined, it was saved by the friendship of a silly, angry-looking, Chinese boy who had just moved in next door.

 

---

 

When Chanyeol was fifteen, he was in the midst of a growth spurt that made him tower over every single kid in his neighborhood and school, save for Yifan. Yifan was seventeen then, and he had already gotten used to the gawks and stares as he walked past everyone; Chanyeol wasn’t, and wished his height had never shot up so surprisingly instead.

 

Apart from Yifan, Chanyeol had friends, though maybe he’d never call them real friends. When his classmates pointed out how his ears looked a little larger than usual, they called him elf, especially because the winter break was fast approaching. Chanyeol hated the elf jokes, saying he was too gigantic to be one of Santa’s elves, and claiming there was something wrong with him. When he expected his friends in class to at least discourage the others from ridiculing him, Chanyeol was met with silence – or even worse, apathy. Chanyeol walked home, trying his best to ignore the insults as his classmates followed him, and in his mind he labeled this Christmas the worst of all time.

 

Christmas is Chanyeol’s favorite holiday? Not anymore.

 

Until a tall, intimidating, young man stops all of Chanyeol’s classmates in their tracks, coolly asking them what the matter was.

 

“What’s your business with his ears?” He had asked, and no one dared to answer. When he raised an eyebrow to imply he was waiting for an answer, the bullies dispersed as quietly as possible. Yifan tugged Chanyeol home that day and made him the famous Wu Family Hot Chocolate – a Christmas staple for Chanyeol since he was nine years old – and Chanyeol thinks Christmas just might be his favorite holiday again.

 

---

 

When Chanyeol was twenty-one, he couldn’t feel the Christmas spirit at all, and he hated it. He blamed everything on school requirements piling up before the semester ended. He had final exams, papers, reports, and compositions all waiting to be accomplished and submitted before the winter break comes along. He was trying to finish all his requirements all while scrambling to find the perfect gift for Yifan.

 

He was swamped with schoolwork, almost dirt poor, and had no idea what to get Yifan this year. Chanyeol hated everything that seemed to throw a bucket of water to his burning Christmas spirit.

 

Chanyeol decided he would tell Yifan when he arrives that he’ll buy a gift once the semester is over, when he’s done with all of his schoolwork and when he gets a little extra money from his parents.

 

When Yifan entered his dorm room, Chanyeol couldn’t find the words to tell Yifan anything. He knew Yifan always gave him something nice (and a little expensive) every Christmas (because Yifan is a rich bastard with a high-paying job) and this year was no different. Chanyeol stuttered as he tried explaining how much work he had to and still has to do, and was about to go on about how guilty he felt when Yifan gently pressed his lips to Chanyeol’s.

 

“When did I ever mind?” Yifan said after he pulled away. The only response Chanyeol gave was a tiny pout that made Yifan chuckle the way that makes Chanyeol’s heart beat only a tad bit faster. “I do have a suggestion though.” Yifan reached into his bag and pulled out a big ribbon, putting it on Chanyeol’s head with a wide grin. Chanyeol looked up as if he could see the ribbon on his head then looked back at Yifan before lightly punching his shoulder.

 

“Why are you so lame?” Chanyeol says, rolling his eyes and taking the ribbon on his head and shoving it back to Yifan. “And don’t tell me it’s part of your charm, because it’s not!”

 

Yifan laughs through all of Chanyeol’s complaints and pulls him into a kiss before handing a jewelry box to Chanyeol. Chanyeol takes it and his eyes go impossibly wide (much larger than the usual size Yifan is used to) as he opens the box and finds a shiny silver bracelet. Chanyeol finds himself at a loss for words again and just looks back and forth between Yifan and the bracelet. Yifan leans in to kiss Chanyeol’s cheek before holding up his left hand to show an identical bracelet on his wrist.

 

“Happy anniversary, love.” Yifan says and Chanyeol tackles him, the living room suddenly becoming a mess of limbs, kisses, and hurried I-love-you’s and thank-you’s.

At this point, Chanyeol thinks, nothing can ever ruin Christmas for him as long as Yifan is there by his side.