Two: The Bad News

Living for the Night

The place was packed. Must be a Friday... I squeezed past a couple feverishly making out and ducked behind the bar. One of my coworkers nudged me to roll his eyes, most likely because of the boy and girl swapping saliva without a care in the world. I laughed and pushed him back towards the impatient customers hounding him for a drink.

Yes, this is my less-than-glorious night job - bartending with the occasional entertaining. Sounds fun, right? Well, it can have its perks, I guess. But at the time, it was just another way to scrape together enough money to barely pay off tuition. I guess the saying goes "It's not much, but it's a living." Or maybe I'm getting that one wrong.

"Sam, heads up." Jungshin gestured in the direction of the club entrance.

I glanced up to see three familiar figures walking through the front doors. Crap! I quickly ducked behind the bar and scooted closer to Jungshin. Of all places to go, Sungyeol had to bring Myungsoo and Hoya to this one? Just my freaking luck. My coworker laughed at my behavior and pulled me back on my feet.

"Relax, it's not like they're going to see you all the way over here." He patted my back reassuringly.

"Yes, but what if they decide they want a drink?"

"If that happens, then I will happily shove you into the back and take their order personally."

I nodded, satisfied. No matter what, Jungshin always seemed to come through for me. Well, he came through for just about every female staff at the club. I assumed he believed the guys could take care of themselves, which they usually could.

"Incoming."

We barely had enough time to scoot out of the way before Eli came walking backwards through the back doors, carrying two very heavy-looking boxes.

"Restocking." He didn't bother to look at us and started unpacking his cargo. Jungshin and I exchanged a look and shrugged. Eli wasn't a man of many words. He still isn't, actually, last I heard from him.

My shift lasted for three more hours, and I spent the entire time nervously glancing back to watch Sungyeol and the other two while trying to please our demanding customers. After what seemed like ages (in reality it was only an hour or so before my shift ended), they left, and I could breathe normally again. Jungshin only had to follow up on his promise once, and shoved me into the back - right into Eli. He awkwardly asked if I was okay before resuming his work.

Jungshin and Eli had the job of cleaning up that night, the poor boys. I waved to them and practically shuffled out the front doors. My feet were killing me. Why did our boss require all the girls to wear heels? That was such a painful rule.

Somehow, I managed to make it home without being followed or hit on by drunken idiots. I closed the door to my dorm and slumped to the floor. This was one of the times I was grateful I didn't have a roommate. I was too exhausted to deal with any other person. The rest of the night was a blur - all I can remember was falling onto my bed and drifting off to sleep thinking, as always, how long I'd be able to keep this up for.

 

I remember the feeling I had when I woke up the next morning. Somehow, I could tell that something wasn't right. I had timidly shuffled out of my bedroom and into the main room. Sure enough, a letter from the housing department was lying in front of my door. It must have been dropped through the mail slot while I was sleeping.

I took the letter into the kitchen and set it down on the counter. I didn't want to open it. I was scared to. Truth is, I had been keeping up with tuition, but not with housing costs. I had figured it wouldn't be long until they kicked me out.

God knows how many hours passed before I finally picked up that darned letter and ripped it open. My hands were shaking as I quickly scanned over the contents. I started to crumple the paper before I could read the head of the department's apologetic words and scribbled signature. My knees gave out, and I sunk to the floor.

I had one day to find a new place. One measly day. This couldn't be happening. But it was just my luck. My brain felt foggy and I barely remembered to grab my keys before stumbling out of the door in a daze.

I don't know where I was going, or what I was even doing out of my dorm. As if you couldn't already tell, stress and I don't get along so well. Everything had been perfectly fine for two years- two years - and now this happens. Thank you, world, I'll be sure to return the favor someday.

I blindly allowed my feet to go where they may. After what must have been hours of aimlessly walking around, I happened across the local park and slumped onto the first bench I saw. What was I doing? I was supposd to be looking for another place to live, not wandering around like it was the end of the world.

"Sam? Is that you?"

Woohyun's voice snapped me out of my self-pitying thoughts. My head shot up to find him jogging towards me. It seems he had left one very confused girl standing on the sidewalk. Oh great, now she'll be glaring at me too.

"Hey Woohyun."

"What are you doing here? Lost?" He snickered playfully. I sighed, exhasperated. What was I doing there again? He seemed to notice my far-off look and grew concerned.

"Hey, are you alright?"

I squeezed my eyes shut. For once, I wanted to be honest. So I did what seemed to be the impossible - I shook my head and told him everything.

"I'm being evicted. I can't keep up with housing costs, and they're giving me a day to find a  new place on or near campus. I don't know what to do, Woohyun." I glanced up at him before burying my face in my hands. I must have looked pathetic in his eyes. He, on the other hand, seemed to be thinking seriously about something.

"Do you have to give details to the school about where you'll be living if it's off-campus?"

"No, I don't think so. Why?"

"I have an idea."

Without another word, he said goodbye and apologized to his date and dragged me back to his dorm.

 

"So she can stay here until she gets enough money to pay her housing costs. We'll just say she's found a temporary apartment off-campus and everything will be fine." Woohyun smiled broadly at the other boys. He had gathered them all to the dorm room he shared with Sunggyu, Hoya, and Dongwoo.

I bit my lip. This was a very, very bad idea. I could only think about how hard it would be to keep the night job a secret if I was living with them. Yes, it was crucial the school board didn't find out, but I would rather the Crazy Seven didn't know either. Sunggyu seemed to be deep in thought, and Hoya and Dongwoo exchanged a look and shrugged.

"It's fine with us. We don't have an extra room though." Hoya briefly glanced in my direction but quickly turned back to Gyu, who sighed and looked up. Here it was - the verdict. Wait, didn't I get a say in all this?

"She'll have to sleep on the couch. And the RA absolutely cannot find out about this, understand?" 

And that was that - I would be sharing a dorm with four other boys for who knows how long. Woohyun let out a sigh of relief and hugged his older friend happily. I was still standing there, dumbfounded as to how this had all just happened.

"Okay, we just have to make sure that nobody notice you're living here." Dongwoo smiled brightly at me and Hoya nodded.

"So, does this mean I'll have to climb out of the window to get to class?" I raised my eyebrow at him. I was being sarcastic, but Woohyun seemed to be taking me seriously.

"You know, that's not such a bad idea..."

"Woohyun!" Sunggyu lightly smacked him across the head. He turned to address me, the slightest hint of a frown still on his face. "We'll just have to be careful and avoid the RA. There's a few more people on this hall, but they're never here."

"Except the RA. He's always here." I frowned and Dongwoo shrugged. I could stop the sigh from escaping. Why did I agree to this? Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. A broke idiot.

Someone knocked on the door, and the room went into panic mode. "Guys?" An unfamiliar voice called through from the hall.

"Crap, it's Hyoan!"

"Who-an?" I was totally lost.

"The RA! Hide, hide, hide!"

I barely had time to squeak out a protest before Hoya and Dongwoo shoved me behind the couch and sat down on the top, shielding me from view. Sunggyu answered the door, and the RA walked in, glancing around the room suspiciously.

"Hey, Hyoan hyung. What's up?" Woohyun tried to act as casual as possible, but his palms were sweating.

"Nothing I just wanted to ask you... Hey, did I hear a girl in here?"

Sunggyu and Woohyun quickly exchanged looks and turned desperately to Dongwoo and Hoya, who did the same.

"Uh... it was Sungjong!" Hoya quickly sputtered and pointed an accusatory finger at the boy. He had a shocked expression but quickly feigned embarrassment.

"Sorry, I was imitating someone."

"Oh. Okay. But Sungjong, please stop confusing other residents. People are going to start thinking this is a co-ed dorm!"

Sungjong laughed sheepishly and rubbed the back of his head. Woohyun seemed to notice how sweaty his palms were getting and jammed them into his jean pockets. Sunggyu cleared his throat. Hyoan coughed and glanced around the room. It had quickly taken on an awkward atmosphere.

"So, you needed to ask us something?" Dongwoo seemed desperate to relieve the tension.

"Oh yeah. I wanted to ask if you remembered the bonfire next weekend? Everyone in the junior and senior class will be there."

"Yeah, we didn't forget. We'll be there." Gyu quickly ended the conversation and practically pushed the RA out the door, closing it behind him and leaning onto the wood for support.

"That was too close."

The other boys nodded and sighed in relief. I stood up from behind the couch and huffed.

"If it's going to be this chaotic every time, it is not worth it."

What had I gotten myself into?

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And thus we get the ball rolling! A quick thanks to all who subscribed. I will try my best not to disappoint!

Peace!