Time of my Life

Time of my Life

Jinki wasn’t the best dancer. He was only a novice at the dance school, and most of his friends were far more skilled. Despite that though, he loved to accompany his friends to the free dance nights of their dancing school and they always enjoyed taking him along. It was only now and then that they came to regret their decision, today happened to be one of them.

The moment the next mambo song was announced, the people in his direct area cleared out, all his friends pretending they had never seen him before. He didn’t mind though, as he confidently walked out to the middle of the dance floor where he was now surrounded by unsuspecting couples. The moment the music came on he opened up his throat and started singing out the text that he knew like the back of his hand:

Now I've had the time of my life

No I never felt like this before

Yes I swear it's the truth

and I owe it all to you

 

When he was about to start singing the next part he was interrupted by a hand on his shoulder. As he turned around another voice started singing the following text as he came eye to eye with another man: shorter, with broad shoulders and a slim waist. Some people might have expected that he would be annoyed that someone tried to steal his moment, but in reality he was overjoyed. He had always wanted someone to sing this song with him. And the other man actually managed to belt out the lines with great skill.

A grin spread across both their lips as they made eye contact and started dancing to the music, Jinki leading in both the song and the Mambo that came with it. They kept the dancing simple, but neither of them seemed to be the least bit bothered. Instead they were more focused on each other and the way their voices seemed to meld together on the duet parts. Jinki also couldn’t help but be lightly distracted by the feel of the man’s waist and hand as he held him in the proper dance hold. It was different to dancing with a woman, and he quite liked it.

When the song reached its last part he was convinced that they would just continue with their simple steps throughout the song, just like they had up till then. Nothing seemed to be less true though, as the shorter man released himself from the dance hold and walked away from him. Jinki was just about to doubt himself when the man turned around, a eating grin on his face. It only gave Jinki a second’s warning before the man launched himself at him and took a jump.

Jinki wasn’t the best dancer. And that also became clear when the two men lay spread-eagled in the middle of the dance floor. They gasped for breath as laughter shook their bodies, the song coming to its end. It took a while before they finally managed to get up and make their way off the dance floor.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Jonghyun.”