So Let Me Run to You

This Americano Is Cold (and tastes nowhere near the past)

“Do you want me to die that bad?”

Minseok watched the coffee machine whirring to life, letting the steady sound soothe his chaotic mind.

“Then grab a knife and stab it into my chest, you ungrateful kid! That way, at least I would not be crying blood in my grave.”

It had been a week, his disastrous wedding (or his could have been a wedding, to be precise), but the look in his grandfather’s eyes was forever engraved on Minseok’s brain along with how he had collapsed right after saying those words.

The church was in immediate chaos; even Yura was quick to help the old news magnate; didn’t even have a moment to look betrayed when she was supposed to slap Minseok to her heart’s content and spit on his face. Everybody was instantly on their feet while Minseok just stood there, horrified and lost at words and let the tears finally fall.

His phone beeped once and Minseok shook his head before he read the message.

 

Monday, January 15

05.13

From: Chanyeol, Park

Mr. Jeong from Arirang has asked for an audience. I wasn’t able to reach you all night so I kinda took the matter in my own hands and arranged one for this morning, 9 am. Tell me if you want any change. I’m sorry I didn’t consult first, hyung TT__TT

 

Minseok closed his eyes and exhaled.  He typed ‘no, it’s okay. You did well’ and stared at his phone for a minute.

He didn’t want this. He didn’t ask for any of this. He shouldn’t be drinking from a coffee machine that every household possessed. He shouldn’t be awake early to a reminder of meetings instead of prepare his coffee shop to life.

He shouldn’t be living in this penthouse alone.

 


 

“I didn’t realise that my personal issues are a commodity for news media that I run, Mr. Jeong. Had I known this from the start, I wouldn’t bother to ask everyone else to hunt for news and the truth; I’d just let them follow me for my whole life instead.”

Mr. Jeong coughed uncomfortably.

“Please, Kim Minseok-sajangnim, you have to understand that we do not mean any ill intent but the fact that you couldn’t even commit to a marriage doesn’t sit well with the board and the stockholders.”

Minseok crossed his legs; stance was relaxed and he molded into his chair but eyes shooting ice dagger towards a man who shifted on his seat every five minutes in front of him. He just stared and stared and stared.

“Sajangnim…”

“What marriage, Mr. Jeong?” Minseok asked way too calmly. “Whose marriage is this that we’re discussing about?”

“No, that’s—“

“Did I, perhaps, have a wife I wasn’t aware of that warrant me such title? What is it, again… Can not commit?”

“Kim sajang—“

“Rest assured, Mr. Jeong, that whatever happens in my personal life will not affect the business. The people care about the news we bring and how much truths weighed in them, not at all about me. Apparently the boards aren’t as smart as South Korea people, but I shouldn’t be surprised by that, of course.”

“Our stock had closed at 55,000—“

“—only to started picking up again by Wednesday and has finally managed to open at 57,300 this morning. Many companies have gone through even more volatile stock price movement so I don’t see why ours is special.” Minseok smiled. “Now, is there anything else you want to discuss about?”

 


 

“What’s for lunch?”

Minseok looked up from his laptop to see his assistant grinning from ear to ear; right hand holding a yellow tumbler.

“I don’t think I’m gonna get one.”

Chanyeol pouted. “What do you mean? Come on, hyung. I’ll treat you.”

Minseok waved his hand. “No, you go. I’m going to the hospital.”

Chanyeol casted him a doubtful stare which Minseok fully understood.

Chairman Kim had refused to see his face, no matter how long he waited outside his VVIP room every day. He had broken his heart, Minseok got that. But he really wanted to see how he was doing. His doctor had never failed to tell him his grandfather’s most recent condition, but to be informed about it and to see it himself was a different thing.

And he wanted to apologise, despite his conviction that he would never get that forgiveness.

“And by the way, I won’t be back until way later. I have an appointment.”

With his one hand, Chanyeol fidgeted to pick his tablet.

“No, you don’t.” he said, confused.

“Yes, I do. It’s personal.”

“What is it?” his assistant started to grin again. “A date?”

Minseok smiled fondly.

“With the most beautiful person I’ve ever met.”

 


 

 “You look beautiful with that new haircut.”

“I don’t think two weeks is considered ‘new’, but thank you.”

“I actually noticed!”

“Of course you did.”

“I just didn’t know how to address it.”

“That’s a bunch of uh, excrement.”

Minseok only stood there, on the side of the road, watching amusedly at the bickering that he enjoyed on a regular basis and never got tired of it.

“I’m sorry you had to see that.”

“No, it’s okay. I enjoyed it.” Minseok laughed before he pulled the person into his arms. “Long time no see, you pretty thing.”

Kim Joonhee squeezed his cousin back.

“I’m sorry we couldn’t attend your not-wedding.” She said in a hushed tone. “Actually, we’ve sort of predicted that would happen although not nearly as dramatic.”

Minseok pulled back from the hug.

“Have you…”

Joonhee nodded. “The first place we went right after we’ve landed. Grandpa’s fine, oppa.”

The reunion was cut rudely by the loud cough in the background. Joonhee looked at Minseok and rolled her eyes. Minseok chuckled but dived in for a hug anyway.

“How are you doing, Yifan?”

The taller man patted his head like a dad would his son. It should irked Minseok to no end, but Yifan was weird like that so he let it pass.

“I’m good. I suppose the wedding talks are a no-no?”

“Thank you for your understanding.”

Yifan was his friend during college before he flew after graduation to States to pursue his master’s degree and later returned mid-semester to Seoul to marry his cousin.

The couple had first met at Minseok’s birthday party (which totally was not his idea). Joonhee was the kind of woman who had men at her feet but not even thinking to spare them a short glance while Yifan was the kind of man who had women worship the ground he walked on and boy, had he walked a lot. Joonhee was also that friend of yours who knew that she was smart but still diligently studying and Yifan was your regular friend who acknowledged his own intelligence and so, would not bother to open a book.

A short ‘who is she’ from Yifan was enough to send Minseok to protection mode before Kim Joonhee herself turned him down, hard.

“So what’s for lunch?” Minseok clapped his hands.

The married couple in front of him suddenly looked uncomfortable and just exchanged glance with each other.

“She has been harping about Kim Ramyeon on the flight from Pittsburgh to here.” Yifan cleared his throat and Joonhee looked awfully guilty.

Minseok froze.

“Uh, come to think of it, I’m totally fine with other dishes. I mean, since we don’t have a lot of Korean food there in States, I shouldn’t be too picky here, right?”

Seeing Joonhee’s pitiful expression right now, Minseok didn’t have the heart to refuse. She hadn’t been in the country for a year, choosing to be by Yifan’s side as he finished his study.

Besides, the ramyeon shop didn’t mean anything to them now.

 


 

How long had it been since the last time he visited, two years? Three years? This place was exactly the same, inside and out.

They used to go here together. After class, before class, or whenever Lu Han couldn’t contain his hunger anymore, he would be willingly dragged by the Chinese to eat with him, never mind that he had just eaten ten minutes ago.

Lu Han had always complained he was too skinny, that kid.

“Are you what I think you are?” Kim Junsu, the shop owners peered from over his glasses at the group.

Yifan on his side grumbled about how old people always couldn’t be specific only for his wife to pinch his side.

“Still as energetic as ever, I see.” Minseok offered his hand. The elder shook it.

“And the most beautiful Joonhee-ya,” he winked and turned to nod curtly at Yifan, “with her ridiculous husband.”

Minseok wanted to laugh.

It had never been a secret for Kim Ramyeon’s regulars that the old Junsu had a grudge and (actually reasonable) distaste towards Wu Yifan. It had been going on for years, apparently. Started when Minseok and Lu Han tag Joonhee along to their ramyeon dates, back when Joonhee was still on the fence about Yifan.

Joonhee was the perfect description of Nation Daughter-in-law, as Lu Han had often said and Minseok agreed. She was filial, smart, diligent, and had a good head on her shoulders. So naturally, the old man had wanted her for his only son.

Kim Jongdae had had a long-standing crush on Joonhee and while Joonhee acknowledged it, she never really did anything about his feelings for her though that hadn’t stopped the ramyeon shop owner to promote his son before he finally moved to Pohang. Probably because of broken heart.

“I actually wasn’t all that surprised to see you here, kids.” Junsu started as he served them their order.

“You weren’t surprised to see me?” Yifan quipped unnecessarily.

Junsu didn’t even look at him when he answered, “I don’t even want to see you.”

Joonhee let out her pretty laugh but her hand patted her husband’s thigh lovingly.

“What do you mean, uncle? Did you have a vision or something?”

“Because your boyfriend had visited me like, a week ago. Oh. Maybe he is you husband now, Minseok-ah?”

The three of them rooted on their seats.

“What boyfriend?” Minseok asked, breathlessly. “When?”

“New Year’s Eve and what do you mean with ‘what boyfriend’? Of course that one with banjjak-banjjak eyes and ugly laugh. Lu Han, isn’t it? Yes, yes. Lu Han.” Junsu shook his head. “Though I kinda wondered why he came by himself. But his eyes were swollen like had just cried like a baby so I guessed you guys were having a fight.”

The old man didn’t stop his monologue about youngsters these days but now, none of them were listening anymore. The ramyeon were ready but none of them had the mood anymore.

“Oppa,” Joonhee lighly touched his cousin’s arm.

“He was here. He had wanted to attend my wedding, Joonhee. We were supposed to meet—I was supposed to see him.” Minseok didn’t realise he was gripping Joonhee’s hand rather tightly until Yifan pried them away with a harmless ‘you’re hurting my wife, Minseok-ah’.

But Minseok barely paid attention.

Meeting his cousin’s wary gaze head-on, Minseok knew he no longer cared. That if Heaven had finally been so kind to grant him one more chance, this was it.

And he wasn’t going to throw it away.


 How is this for a start? Getting messier at the end, if I say so myself. I'm sorry.