Gift Card Syndrome

Christmas Drabbles

pairing: taohun, read into it as you please

rating: G

 

🎁

 

"Just get him the CD. I'm pretty sure he would like that, considering he asked for it specifically, by name."

 

Tao glares at Sehun from the corner of his eye, then goes back to weighing his options, the JJLin CD Minseok asked for in one hand and the novelty barista themed coffee cups in the other. "But that's not personal at all."

 

Sehun sighs exasperatedly. "Hyung would like it, it's the thought that counts."

 

"You have to put thought into the gift for thought to count, Sehun." Saying this, Tao shook his head at his hands and put down the CD, deciding finally on the cups.

 

"You see everyone always getting flustered when they're asked what they want for Christmas right?" Sehun barely shrugs in response. "Because they're expecting to be surprised! Just because hyung had to come up with an answer doesn't mean he wouldn't rather a sentimental gift."

 

Sehun lifted an eyebrow from where they were knit together in concentration, trying to avoid getting separated from tao in the busy mall. He'd be damned if he didn't get to prove Tao wrong just because he had to call him up at the front desk like a lost child. "So you're a mind reader then? What if Minseok hyung was waiting all year to ask for that CD?"

 

Bringing a pause to the argument, a little girl run straight between them, clipping her shoulder on the shopping basket of filled with gifts that Tao is holding. He sways on the spot a little, more focused on keeping the gift mountain steady than the crowd around him. With one last wobble from Minseok's cups at the top, it stabilises, and Tao looks up with a relieved smile at Sehun. He opens his mouth to say something, and is so hit hard on the back he falls straight over, landing with his facebarely a foot from the ground, thanks to Sehun's hold on his upper arms, and his stomach crushing down on their shopping basket.

 

Sharing a look of relief, Sehun tightens his hold on Tao's arms and Tao pulls hisnknee up, making to stand up before his keans are ruined on the floor. Sehun laughs, about to ask 'are you okay,' when the cups fall as soon as Tao lifts his stomach.

 

🎄

 

They still staring at the floor when a sales associate comes bearing a broom and dustpan to startle them out of it.

 

Tao looks up slowly, fearing what he'll see on Sehun's face.

 

A disgustingly smug smile greets him, eyes mischevious. "Guess I'll go grab that CD then."

 

🎄

 

While checking out, Tao keeps tight lipped and expressionless, not giving anything away to the needling Sehun trying to get hints for his Christmas present from Tao.

 

Truth be told, until today he had no idea what to get Sehun. But now it's come to him, and he thinks the thought behind it will count by both of their definitions.

 

Sehun is getting a whole bag full of coal this year.

 

a/n: idk personally i prefer getting gift cards and giving thoughtful gifts its christmas everythings good~ 

& despite tao's personal style i feel like he would give rly dorky gifts in effort to be cute & sehun would give things asked for/gift cards bc he would also only think of dorky gifts if left to his own devices