Chapter 17

The Road Less Traveled

The rest of the week went as well as it usually did, though with less people running off in the middle of the night thankfully. By the time they reached Yesan, everyone seemed a little happier, less tension brewing around the campfire at night.

 

"I think I'll sit this out," KyuJong told YoungSaeng quietly when they rode up to the gates, rubbing at his forehead as he got up to go sit inside the caravan.

 

"Okay," YoungSaeng frowned up at KyuJong. The younger man still looked pale and sickly. "Get some rest." He sighed and faced front again, shifting to sit up straighter as they approached the gate. It was barred shut, guards posted outside. "KyuHyun, come out here please."

 

"Yeah?" KyuHyun poked his head out of the caravan after KyuJong had gone inside.

 

"Take the reins while I talk our way in," YoungSaeng said, and KyuHyun dropped onto the bench beside him. He stopped the caravan a good distance away from the gates, handing the reins over and dropping down to the ground. "You coming, Min?"

 

"Sure thing boss," JungMin said, riding close behind on his horse. Gun across his lap, he made sure it was visible to the guards posted outside. Long as they didn't start any trouble, neither would he, but he wasn't taking any chances.

 

Walking up to the gates, YoungSaeng flashed the pair standing outside it a smile. "Hello, we're traveling merchants hoping to do some business in Yesan. We'll only be staying for a day or two, depending on how well trade goes."

 

"What kind of men are you?" One of the guards asked. "We don't want no vagrants or troublemakers. How many you got in your caravan?"

 

"Including myself, eight," YoungSaeng didn't lose his smile. "We don't want to cause any trouble for yourselves or for us, sir, we're just here for the trade. Our current wares are from central and eastern Korea, and of course we'll be giving some of your own shops business while we restock on supplies."

 

The guard frowned, conversing with one of the other guards who then went to the gate to open it. "You, and two others are allowed in. The caravan and the rest of your group must stay outside. You talk over your trades with the shops first and if they like what you have to say, then we'll let your caravan in."

 

YoungSaeng's brow furrowed slightly at that, but he nodded his consent. Typical of the more closed-in compounds; there had been some he'd been refused away from all-together, but thankfully they had a chance here. They really needed the trade. "Understood. I'll let my men know," he smiled at them before nodding at JungMin to return to the caravan with him, turning to walk back.

 

"And?" KyuHyun asked once the two were back. "We're in?"

 

"Not quite," YoungSaeng replied. "I'm taking two inside to bargain with the shops, and if they like what we have to offer, we can go in. JungMin, I want you and Joon to stay out here and guard the caravan, I'll take KyuHyun and Wook in with me."

 

"What? I'm not staying out here," JungMin frowned. "I don't like the look of this place boss, I want to go in there with you."

 

"I know you do, but I need you looking after the others," YoungSaeng lowered his voice. "I'll be fine, but I need you out here if things go to hell. You'll come along next time."

 

JungMin frowned, but nodded. "Alright, even if I don't like it. You're the boss."

 

Smiling tightly at him, YoungSaeng looked to KyuHyun. "Get RyeoWook and be ready to go." The archer nodded and stood up, passing the team reins to Kevin before going into the caravan. "Don't let them run off, Kevin."

 

Kevin laughed a little nervously, not entirely sure how he'd ended up with the reins: he'd just been closest to the caravan.

 

"You think this is going to go well?" RyeoWook whispered to KyuHyun as they left the caravan, righting the pack on his shoulder a little better.

 

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst," KyuHyun smirked, adjusting his quiver on his shoulder and holding one his own pack with the other hand. "You still have your gun, right?"

 

"Yes, but..." RyeoWook's shoulders slumped a little. "I really hope it doesn't come to that, I'll probably miss and hit you or something."

 

"Don't think like that or you will," KyuHyun snorted, following behind YoungSaeng back to the gate.

 

YoungSaeng nodded to the guards, cheery smile back. "Would you care to point us in the direction of the marketplace?"

 

One of the guards looked the three of them up and down, his expression grim. "Down the first street you come to, then a left. No trouble now you understand? We'll have people watching you. Get on with your business then get out."

 

"Of course, thank you," YoungSaeng replied, not offering them anything they could use against them. The trio walked past the gates, YoungSaeng leading the way to the marketplace.

 

"Well, they weren't kidding about watching us," KyuHyun murmured, seeing eyes following their every move.

 

"Didn't think they were," YoungSaeng hummed. "Watch our backs, KyuHyun. How're you doing Wook?"

 

"I'll be better when we're done here," RyeoWook said, sticking close as possible to KyuHyun as they walked. He did his best not to look any of the townspeople in the eye, though it wasn't hard since everyone seemed to be walking well away from them.

 

"Remember, we need to make a good impression here so we can get the caravan inside," YoungSaeng said.

 

"Well that'll be easy, no one can say no to RyeoWook," KyuHyun grinned, looking down at the shorter man.

 

"What?" RyeoWook blinked at KyuHyun in confusion. "What do you mean? Are you making me do all the negotiating?"

 

"I'm pretty sure YoungSaeng didn't bring me along for my negotiating skills," KyuHyun chuckled. "I'm your bodyguard."

 

"But what about him?" RyeoWook protested. "Saeng, is this true?"

 

"It's true that I'm not expecting KyuHyun to win any negotiations," YoungSaeng looked back at them. "I'll be talking with them too, but you know our supplies better than any of the others."

 

"Fine," RyeoWook huffed a little. "Just so you know, I'm going to be getting what I think we need, not what you want, KyuHyun. So don't even think about asking about books."

 

"But I know if you see a nice book you'll think about it anyways," KyuHyun teased.

 

YoungSaeng chuckled quietly, listening to them as they walked. "This looks like the place," he stopped by a couple stores on what looked to be the busiest street in the compound.

 

Taking a deep breath, RyeoWook lifted his chin a little and marched up to the store in question. If he was going to be made to be the buyer, then he was going do the best job he could at it.

 

By the time the trio returned to the caravan, it was late into the evening. Despite a chilly reception and attitude from all of the people in the compound, they were able to secure trade for some of their goods. Enough that they would be able to get the things they needed for the trip to Seoul. RyeoWook was rather pleased with how well he had done inside, but he told YoungSaeng he really didn't want to do it again.

 

"You did fantastic," YoungSaeng clapped RyeoWook's shoulder lightly as they walked up to the caravan. The compound was closing it's gates for the evening, but the guards had agreed to let them in once markets opened the following morning. Which was fine with YoungSaeng anyways; he knew none of them would have felt comfortable sleeping inside those walls. "No trouble out here, JungMin?" he asked once they arrived at the caravan.

 

"No sir," JungMin said, lips pursed as he looked the three over thoroughly. "I take it things went good inside? They going to let us in?"

 

"They will once markets open tomorrow morning," YoungSaeng replied. "Let's find a good spot to camp for the night." Hopping up onto the front bench, he took the reins back from Kevin who gladly gave them up.

 

"KiBum found a good spot little ways away," JungMin said, nodding towards a copse of trees nearby. "Clean stream and good cover with some good looking grass for the horses."

 

"Good, lead us there," YoungSaeng nodded, settling down with a sigh. The group moved out, YoungSaeng glancing back at the guards at the gate as they went. He wished they had the luxury of avoiding that compound, truthfully, but there was no hope for it.

 

Reaching the spot KiBum had found, YoungSaeng stopped the caravan and got down to unhitch the team horses. "Min ah, I don't want to stay here longer than tomorrow," he said as the others started setting up camp and taking care of chores. "We're going to push as much as we can trade, and leave well before sunset."

 

"Sounds good to me boss," JungMin said, dismounting. He glanced around as he drew closer to YoungSaeng, his brow furrowed a little. "Is KyuJong okay? He passed right out and hasn't woken up yet."

 

YoungSaeng's brow furrowed in worry. "He's been feeling tired all week. It started right after RyeoWook was sick…" He glanced towards the caravan. "Would you mind getting these guys set up?"

 

"Not at all," JungMin said, following YoungSaeng's gaze. "You think he caught the same fever Wook had? We should be careful about everyone else falling sick, there's only so much of that medicine to go around."

 

"I know, and I don't know if we'll be able to come by more." YoungSaeng passed the team horses off to JungMin before turning to head back into the caravan.

 

No one else was inside besides KyuJong on the bench when he got in there, YoungSaeng walking over and crouching beside him. "Kyu yah?" he murmured, brushing sweaty bangs out of the younger man's face.

 

KyuJong's eyes opened slowly and he blinked at YoungSaeng for a moment before he smiled and tried to sit up. "Hey.. that was quick," he murmured, his voice tired sounding.

 

"Not really," YoungSaeng said, eyes worried. "It's just about sunset, KyuJong. How are you feeling?"

 

"Is it really? Hm, was more tired than I thought," KyuJong chuckled, managing to get sitting up and leaned up against the side of the caravan. "I feel better though. How did it go?"

 

"It went, we're heading in tomorrow morning." YoungSaeng shifted to sit on the bench next to him. "You don't look any better, your skin's pale and clammy." He brushed one hand against KyuJong's forehead.

 

"I was taking a nap in the day time," KyuJong shrugged. "Maybe I'm not eating enough." Pulling away a little, KyuJong took YoungSaeng's hand in both of his and smiled. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine."

 

"You know I'm going to worry," YoungSaeng murmured, looking into KyuJong's eyes. His brow furrowed and he opened his mouth when there was a loud shriek and thud from outside, quickly followed by loud peals of laughter.

 

"…" YoungSaeng got up and went to the front of the caravan, leaning out. "What was that?"

 

KyuHyun just pointed at where HyungJoon had gotten his foot stuck in the stirrup and fallen off his horse, the archer practically crying with laughter. Poor HyungJoon was trying to free his trapped foot without spooking the horse into trampling him, yelping as he was dragged a couple feet.

 

"KyuHyun, I have yet to see you sit on a horse without falling off so I suggest you quit laughing," JungMin said, going to help HyungJoon by steadying the wayward horse. "You okay there Joon?"

 

"Just…great." HyungJoon fumbled with the stirrup and finally freed his foot, lying flat on his back to catch his breath.

 

"I'll have you know, I made it all the way to that compound and back without falling off once," KyuHyun snorted, still trying to stop laughing. "I didn't know his voice could go that high."

 

HyungJoon mumbled something about sticking KyuHyun's arrows somewhere uncomfortable as he started to climb to his feet, only to faceplant back on the ground when the ankle that was stuck gave out.

 

"Why don't you sit down a minute, get your boot off and make sure that ankle isn't going to swell up," JungMin said, passing the reins to HyungJoon's horse off to KyuHyun. "Yah, take care of his horse since you're being so nice."

 

"Oh fine," KyuHyun snickered, pulling the horse off towards the stream. "Yah KiBum, your brother's a klutz."

 

"You okay Joon?" YoungSaeng asked, walking over. "Need help to get inside?"

 

"I'm fine," HyungJoon shook his head, trying not to wince as he pulled his boot off and tried to make himself comfortable where he'd fallen.

 

"We can get Wook to look at it, make sure it isn't sprained," JungMin said, crouching down next to him. "Take it easy though okay? We can get the camp set up tonight without you, just stay off that ankle."

 

"I'm not useless, I'll just take a moment then go back to work," HyungJoon frowned at the ground.

 

"No, you're not doing anything tonight," YoungSaeng sighed. "It'll just make that ankle worse." He shook his head before heading back to the caravan. "I don't think I need to tell you to make sure he doesn't move, right Min ah?"

 

"No sir, I think I can do that just fine," JungMin grinned, winking at HyungJoon. "If you move, I'll kiss you. Got it?"

 

HyungJoon squawked at that, face turning red when he heard YoungSaeng laughing as he walked away. "Don't…don't even think about it!"

 

"Oh, but I think about it all the time," JungMin grinned at him. "But I won't do it long as you don't move from this spot. Put your foot up, relax, and you can go back to your daily chores tomorrow."

 

The younger man scowled at him, unhappy at being made to stay still. "…Fine, only because YoungSaeng said so." He rearranged his legs so he could be at least a little more comfortable, hissing quietly when he jostled his ankle.

 

JungMin tilted his head slightly at that, his eyes narrowing. "I can't tell if you genuinely like YoungSaeng, or if you only follow his orders because you have to."

 

"I don't see how it would matter either way," HyungJoon frowned at him. "I might not want to be here, but since I am, I'm following his orders."

 

"Yeah, but it's not like you listen to me, and I'm technically just as important for following rules as he is," JungMin said.

 

"But you're not the owner of the caravan, are you?" HyungJoon replied. "You're it's bodyguard, and I don't need a bodyguard, I can take care of myself."

 

"Can you? So the next time your brother's in trouble are you going to take a second to think about the situation before doing something stupid?" JungMin asked.

 

"You and I have a very different idea of what's stupid," the younger man's eyes narrowed. "I do what I have to do, that's all."

 

"Right, and I do what I have to do," JungMin said. "My job is to keep you all alive. So I'd appreciate it if you listen to me half as much as you listen to Saeng."

 

"…Now you're just taking advantage of the fact I can't get away from you, aren't you," HyungJoon muttered, cupping his ankle with cold fingers to ease the throbbing.

 

"You just can't stand the idea that someone besides yourself wants to look after you," JungMin said, shaking his head a little.

 

"I'm not gullible, no," HyungJoon replied, not looking up at JungMin. "Not anymore. You not understanding that just proves that we're nothing alike."

 

JungMin's expression softened a little at that. "Trusting someone else isn't being gullible HyungJoon. It takes a lot of courage to trust someone else."

 

"For me and my brother, it also takes a death wish." HyungJoon's gaze flicked up to JungMin's face from under his bangs. "Just leave it."

 

"I'll leave it for now Joon, but I'm very serious about you listening to me," JungMin said. "It's like I keep telling you. You're part of a team now, and if you can't take direction as part of that team... then you're a liability and could put every one of us, including KiBum, in danger."

 

HyungJoon's lips thinned. "I won't put anyone in danger. Least of all KiBum."

 

"Good, I'm holding you to that," JungMin said, getting back up to his feet. "I'll bring you something to eat when supper's ready. Just think about what I said."

 

"Yeah." HyungJoon glanced around before spotting a tree to sit against not far away, scooting himself towards it while trying to avoid putting weight down on his ankle.

 

The night went on without much excitement. KyuJong picked at his food, unable to keep his eyes off of YoungSaeng as the leader talked and joked around with the others. By the time everyone else had bedded down for the night, KyuJong was feeling much better than he had during the day. When YoungSaeng was done talking with JungMin who was on guard duty for the first half of the night, KyuJong motioned YoungSaeng over to just out of the firelight. "Hey, let's go."

 

"Hm?" YoungSaeng blinked before smiling softly. "Oh, right…you wanted to show me something. I'll just let JungMin know before he sends out a search party, okay?"

 

"Your call," KyuJong nodded. "But if he says no, we're sneaking out anyway."

 

Grinning in amusement, YoungSaeng leaned in and kissed him lightly. "I'll talk to him, don't worry." Turning, he headed back to where JungMin was on the other side of the camp.

 

"Hey, Min ah," YoungSaeng stopped beside him. "KyuJong and I are going for a walk, we'll be back in a couple hours."

 

JungMin frowned at that, glancing to where he could see KyuJong leaning up against a tree across the camp. "You sure about that boss?" JungMin replied. "He still doesn't look too good to be taking any kind of walk."

 

"I know," YoungSaeng said, lowering his voice a little. "I need to talk to him alone, where he can't keep avoiding my questions. We're not going to go very far."

 

"Alright," JungMin nodded. "Don't take all night, if there's trouble call for help. Try to be back before it's KyuHyun's turn to stand watch."

 

"We will be, keep an eye on things here," YoungSaeng smiled at him before turning to head back to KyuJong. "See? Told you it would be fine," he took the younger hand's hand, lacing their fingers together lightly. "Now, where are we going?"

 

"Somewhere I think you'll like," KyuJong said. "When we were just kids, we followed some of the older kids out of the compound through the sewers. Not sure where they were going, but we ended up lost. Had no idea where we were going or how to get back. We'd never been outside the compound before. We found this small pond surrounded the oldest, gnarled trees you can imagine and we hid there. Eventually, one of the hunters from the compound found us and took us back. Every spring after that, we would sneak out and go to our little pond and go skinny dipping."

 

"Sounds like fun," YoungSaeng grinned, following KyuJong away from the camp and through the trees. "No one else has ever found it?"

 

"I'm sure someone has by now, but for me it'll always be our secret spot," KyuJong said, smiling sadly. It wasn't a far walk, the light from the campfire still visible when KyuJong pulled YoungSaeng up to a thick twisted tree and peered around the side. "There it is... just like I remember it."

 

YoungSaeng leaned over to see around KyuJong's shoulder, lips forming a wide smile as he took in the pond. "It's gorgeous Kyu yah." He stepped around the tree, brushing his fingers through the reeds along the pond's edge. A small laugh escaped when he startled a few fireflies into the air, his eyes following them.

 

"Probably too cold to go swimming today," KyuJong said, following YoungSaeng down the steep bank. "But it sure is nice to look at." Sitting down on an overhang, he looked up through the trees at the night sky above. "I'm glad I got to see it one more time."

 

YoungSaeng sat down next to him, brow furrowed. "You never know…we could pass by here again, some day."

 

KyuJong's eyes dimmed a little, drawing his knees up to his chest. "No.. Saeng I don't think we will." He took a deep breath before looking over YoungSaeng. "I... I think I made a mistake."

 

"What's that?" YoungSaeng asked softly, watching him.

 

"I promised myself after I lost him, I wasn't going to let myself fall in love again," KyuJong said. "I never wanted to put someone in the same position I was in. I didn't want anyone to have to watch me die."

 

YoungSaeng was quiet for a long moment, swallowing painfully. "…Kyu yah," he murmured, fingers brushing against the younger man's knee. "Show me."

 

"I don't want you to see me like that Saeng," KyuJong whispered, turning away. "I... I just wanted one more night with you before you left."

 

"…What are you talking about?" YoungSaeng tugged lightly on KyuJong's shoulder to turn him back around. "I'm not going anywhere without you."

 

"I'll just slow you down," KyuJong shook his head, meeting YoungSaeng's eyes. "You know what's going to happen Saeng. I don't want to put any of you at risk because of me."

 

"Let me decide what's going to put my caravan at risk. We're not leaving you." YoungSaeng cupped KyuJong's cheeks with both hands, leaning in to kiss him softly.

 

KyuJong returned the kiss, almost desperate as his arms went around YoungSaeng's waist. Pulling away after a moment, he looked into YoungSaeng's eyes, tears b in his own. "Saeng... I love you."

 

YoungSaeng's lower lip quivered slightly. "I love you too," he whispered, resting their foreheads together. "You told me when we met that you were afraid of dying alone. You're not going to go through this alone, Kyu yah…I promise."

 

"It's not fair," KyuJong said. "I just found you, I don't want to die now... I don't want to leave you."

 

"The virus doesn't care about what's fair or not," YoungSaeng replied quietly, trying not to cry. "We'll just have to make the best of what time we have, won't we?"

 

KyuJong nodded, closing his eyes again. "Do me a favor, please? Don't tell the others.. not yet anyway."

 

"They're going to start noticing sooner or later," YoungSaeng whispered, running his fingers through KyuJong's hair. "Especially when the mark starts spreading…how long since it turned?"

 

"When Wook got sick, that's when I felt it," KyuJong said. "It hasn't started to spread yet, which I guess is good for now."

 

"Let me know when it starts spreading," YoungSaeng murmured, wrapping his arms around KyuJong and leaning back against the tree truck. "And let us take care of you, okay? Don't pretend it doesn't hurt."

 

"It doesn't hurt yet," KyuJong said, making himself as comfortable as possible. "I don't know what will happen tomorrow though... which is why I wanted to bring you here, so we could be alone."

 

"Well…we're here," YoungSaeng looked down at him, nose brushing against KyuJong's hair. "Thank you, for sharing this place with me."

 

Sitting up a little and leaning over YoungSaeng, KyuJong's lips quirked a little. "It'll be a nice memory I think... one you can look back on before it gets bad."

 

"Every memory with you is a good one," YoungSaeng returned the soft smile. "I treasure each and every one of them."

 

"Thank you," KyuJong murmured softly, leaning in to press his lips against YoungSaeng's again.

 

Returning the kiss, YoungSaeng's eyes closed as he ran his hand along KyuJong's back in slow circles. "Don't thank me for that, it sounds weird," he whispered against KyuJong's lips. "I…don't want you to strain yourself."

 

KyuJong chuckled a little at that, pulling back enough to lightly mouth at YoungSaeng's neck. "If I'm going to die Saeng... I want to die happy."

 

Exhaling slowly, YoungSaeng opened his eyes to look at the younger man. "I won't let you go any other way," he murmured, his hand slipping under KyuJong's shirt to rest against his lower back.

 

Forgoing any more conversation, KyuJong pulled YoungSaeng into a heated kiss. He hoped desperately that this wouldn't be the last time they were together like this, but it could be. He didn't want to rush this, wanted to enjoy and savor every kiss and every touch of skin. Maybe it was a little desperate the way they clung to each other, KyuJong could see it in YoungSaeng's eyes even if the older man wouldn't voice it.

 

It may have been too cold to jump in the water, but it wasn't so cold that pulling off articles of clothing was going to hamper them. KyuJong tried not to look down at his chest, knowing the spot would be there. He did his best to not let YoungSaeng even see it, his back pressed up against YoungSaeng's chest as the man held his hips. Neither of them really bothered to keep their voice down, it didn't feel right to do so at the time.

 

The hard part of it came afterwards, laying curled up together as their breath evened out and the air fogged with their body heat. Even in the dim light, KyuJong could see the spider-like threads of the spot over his heart, an angry red now unlike YoungSaeng's muted black.

 

"You ever think they'll come up with a cure?" KyuJong whispered softly, breaking the long silence.

 

YoungSaeng ran his hand slowly along KyuJong's , choosing to look into the other man's warm brown eyes rather than down at the mark that had begun to kill him. "One day," YoungSaeng murmured, lifting his hand to thread fingers through KyuJong's hair. "A few lifetimes from now. All the technology from before the plague that could have stopped it was lost…it will take a while to get it back."

 

"You would think, if the stories are true about how advanced people were before the virus... you would think they'd have been able to stop it," KyuJong said. "How did it get like this?"

 

"I don't know," YoungSaeng whispered. "I don't even remember my grandfather, he died well before I was born, but my father told me the stories he used to share. He said it was a world gone mad. Governments fell apart, people rioted and killed in the streets..."

 

"It doesn't make any sense to me how that happened," KyuJong said. "If only people knew how the future would be, you think they would have tried harder to save themselves."

 

"No one can see the future though," YoungSaeng sighed softly. "Not even with all the technology in the world. It does no good for us to be bitter about how things happened…I don't know if we would have done any better in their shoes."

 

"Maybe, maybe not," KyuJong replied. "It's hard for me not to be bitter right now Saeng."

 

"I know," YoungSaeng whispered, leaning in to brush his lips against KyuJong's. "I'll be right beside you no matter what."

 

KyuJong returned the kiss, though it was hesitant. "Can you promise me something?" he whispered, looking into YoungSaeng's eyes. "I don't want to die from this... I don't want to go out like that. Promise me that when it gets its worst... you won't let me die from this."

 

YoungSaeng's eyes widened, looking back into KyuJong's own. It was the quiet request that finally caused a few tears to fall, trailing down to drip into the dirt.

 

"I promise," he whispered, voice catching.

 

"Thank you," KyuJong murmured, closing his eyes again and nuzzling into YoungSaeng. There wasn't much left to say after that, and he knew YoungSaeng understood the request. "We should head back, before JungMin worries."

 

"He's probably ready to send out the search party," YoungSaeng replied quietly. That and it was getting cold, and he didn't want to push KyuJong just then. Leaning in, he pressed a kiss to KyuJong's lips before slowly sitting up.

 

Redressing quietly, KyuJong was thankful when his shirt was back on and pulled down. Stretching out his arms, he cast one more glance around the small pond before climbing back up the embankment. "I know JungMin's worried about me, he keeps giving me a strange look. What are you going to tell him?"

 

"I can't lie to them, Kyu yah," YoungSaeng followed after them. "I won't tell him if you don't want me to, but it's only a matter of time before they figure it out."

 

"I... just want a few more days of not being treated like a walking dead person," KyuJong said. "I'll tell them before it becomes too apparent, if I can."

 

"All right," YoungSaeng nodded. "It's your choice, just let me know when you're ready to tell them." He laced his fingers with KyuJong's.

 

"I think I was wrong," KyuJong said, lips quirking a little. "It wasn't a mistake falling in love with you... I just wish I had found you sooner."

 

"Me too," the older man murmured, looking down at their hands.

 

It didn't take long before they were back in camp, stepping out from the shelter of the trees. "All's well here, Min?" YoungSaeng smiled at JungMin as he walked to his bedroll, not letting go of KyuJong's hand.

 

"Nice and quiet," JungMin said, watching them. "At least now it is anyway. You're lucky no one else woke up. I'd have to lie and say there was a dying animal out there."

 

"A very convincing lie that would be." YoungSaeng did turn slightly pink in the light from the campfire. He unrolled his bedroll and kicked off his boots before slipping inside, leaving enough room for KyuJong to join him.

 

"Night you two," JungMin chuckled, turning away from the campfire and looking out amongst the trees.

 

Sliding into the bedroll, KyuJong burrowed down as close to YoungSaeng as he could get. "I'm a little surprised you and he have never hooked up," he murmured. "Maybe you should consider it next time you're feeling lonely."

 

"…I know what you're trying to do, and am ordering you to stop," YoungSaeng sighed, brushing his lips against KyuJong's forehead. "Sleep well, Kyu yah."

 

"You too Saeng," KyuJong said, closing his eyes and trying to will himself to sleep. Unfortunately, it took a few hours longer than he would have liked.