Ch1. Trials

Fate

Ch. 1. Trial

 

Sungyeol mouth curved forming a frown, his eyes were red, and his expression gloomy. The 2nd Prince watches as the courts attendants uploaded boxes, parcels, silks, and many other treasured items the King and Queen had prepared for him on his long journey.

 

A long journey; that was what his mother called it, but in reality for Sungyeol it was a departure; one that he won't return from, at least not for a very very long time.

 

For the sake of peace.

 

For the sake of his kingdom.

 

And for the sake of his family.

 

War reached across the lands causing people to go into poverty and disarray; Many kingdoms had been lost in the chaos and destruction. His kingdom was no more powerful then the ones that had fallen, so there was no choice but to seek aid from their  greater, richer, and far more powerful neighboring Kingdom.

 

In exchange for military power and aid the King and Queen; Sungyeol's father and mother had no choice but to form a peace treaty with The Dark Kingdom; agreeing to their terms and conditions.

 

The kingdom whose majestic black flags bore a silver emblem of a half lion half falcon beast known as the Dark Kingdom holds strong central government, military power, and great riches that allowed it’s people to prosper amidst war, unaffected by the threats of war. This was soon to be Sungyeol’s new homeland. This   was where the young prince would be married off to. For, this was part of the pact of peace between the two countries; a young prince or princess would be sent as an offering to the Great Emperor  along with one hundred thousand gold bars in dowry, fine silk, and horses.

 

Sungyeol,  being the second of three siblings was chosen.

 

"I'll miss you mother and father, please take care." Sungyeol said softly embracing his parents one last time.

 

"My poor child, I'm so so sorry." The Queen cried, trying to contain her sadness.

 

"No, mother...it is an honor to...marry the Emperor...for the sake of our country, and our people. " Sungyeol replied,  keeping his calm.

 

"My brave, brave child...if...if only... " His mother his hair, her sad gaze still on him.  Loud footsteps trudged down the corridors.

 

"Brother!  You can't go!" The familiar voice of the third Prince rang through the corridors. His footsteps ended as he way next to Sungyeol now pulling the taller in a tight hug. His face scrunched up childishly.  

 

"Be good Sungjong ah... when brother get there I'll write you right away. For now be good, study well,  so you can help Howon hyung later, he will need your support while I'm not here..." Sungyeol the little one's hair.

 

"Uh uh!" Sungjong frowned, " I don't want you to go! "

 

"Sungjongie..." Sungyeol frowned holding tighter onto his younger brother while petting his hair gently.

 

"Promise me you'll win that Emperor's favor so you can quickly come back soon to visit me!" Sungjong commanded.

 

" Hehe, of course...  I promise. " Sungyeol sighed softly at Sungjong’s comment.

 

"Take care of yourself there Yeolie." A firm hand gripped onto his shoulders.  Sungyeol look over to see his older brother giving him a supportive smile.

 

" I will Hoya hyung. You take care of our parents and Sungjong for me ok? I know you’ll be a good King one day."

 

"I will...and... if you run into any trouble,  send me a message right away. I prepared a carrier hawk for you already. " The oldest prince reassured. Sungyeol nodded gratefully in response.

 

With a final goodbye to his family the Second Prince proceeded into the carriage for his long journey into the allying country.

 

They were all dressed in the best garments. Hair brushed and styled in the most trendiest fashion of the Capital, and decorated by the finest ornaments. Each potential consort were cleansed, pampered, and ready for an audience at the imperial courts. The candidates were then lined up outside awaiting orders to proceed further for selection time. They would be quizzed on both knowledge and skills on various topics to ensure that they’d be worthy to serve the Emperor as consorts.

 

Sungyeol posed in a kneeling position amongst the finest young Princes and most beautiful Princesses in the land, each were allowed to dress in their traditional cultural garments (provided by royal tailors); it was also for the purpose of identifying the royalties of each kingdom, most candidates were from smaller nations similar to Sungyeol .

Nervousness overcame him as he looked around the outer chambers at the other consorts. He took a heavy breath to calm himself down.

 

The Royal Court were built, decorated,  and  furnished by rare materials imported from different regions of the land; crafted by skilled artisans hired by royalties. Sungyeol found it to be far more grandiose than the Royal Court of his home country.

 

Governors were seated in two rows lined up in a parallel fashion lining up to the higher court. The higher court was sectioned off and elevated in the far center at the end of the grandiose hall. The young consorts all held their heads down not daring to look at the Emperor, until given the order to rise.

 

When the Emperor gave orders to rise, Sungyeol found that the distance where the Emperor and subject stood differ greatly. In-between the grand hall and the Emperor’s throne stood layers and layers of draped tapestries made from the fine silk, woven into a sheer material to veil the Emperor of his Royal Subjects. The only visible sight of the Emperor to Sungyeol was his silhouette, for the curtains made it impossible to see his face.

 

The Emperor waved a hand, signaling the events to proceed on exit on the side doors of the chamber room. Sungyeol gulped nervously at his surroundings once more as old scholars came around the front carrying long scrolls. The attendants began gathering the candidates around to the testing chambers. They were tested on various subjects such as art, music, literature, and other useful knowledge that would later be suitable to be with the Emperor.

 

Sungyeol sat quietly in the waiting room with the other consorts waiting for the results to come in. Everyone there seem to hope for a high mark, or they might be sent home.Unlike Sungyeol most were there for prestige; governors and kings of smaller regions want to place their children in the Imperial court to gain political favors, because who wouldn’t want to be Emperor’s in- laws, or potentially the father and mother of the future Queen (or King’s First Consort for male).

 

“Has anyone ever seen the Emperor’s face?” A princess asks another consort boldly. They were all anxious for the results, and had resorted to small talk in the process of waiting.  

 

“I heard the Emperor is very handsome.” A princess from a small kingdom neighboring to Sungyeol’s said with clear blush on her cheeks.

 

“I actually heard opposite. I heard nobody ever gets to see his face, because he’s actually really old, and hideous.” A prince interjected. Loud groans of disappointment rang in unison. They casted their mild mannerism aside and began to gossip like common youngsters in the waiting room. Sungyeol listened with curiosity while keeping his distance, however, it didn’t matter to him what the Emperor looked like (as scary as it sounds if indeed he was an old hideous ert still wanting to court youthful princes and princesses from different nations), his true priority remains with protecting his country, his people, and his family, so he couldn’t afford to fail and be sent off home.

 

A small bell rang lightly signally the princes and princesses to gather around. A figure came in carrying a long parchment roll. Results had came in. The Head Eunuch cleared his throat before proceeding to roll call, reading off the result lists granted by the Emperor.

 

Princess Song Ji Eun, of XX Kingdom, base on your results I the Great Royal Emperor grant thy the title of 5th Rank Consort.” The Eunuch announced reading off the scroll loudly. “ Prince Ren, of XX Kingdom, base on your results I the Great Royal Emperor grant thy the title of 7th Rank Consort… Princess Sooyeon, of XX Kingdom, base on your results I the Great Royal Emperor grant thy the title of 7th Rank Consort... Princess Jia ...I grant thy title of 7th Rank Consort...Prince Minwoo ... 6th Rank Consort...”

 

The list went on, and eventually there was a repeated pattern of either 6th or 7th Ranking with each name. Sungyeol listen earnestly for his name. His heart racing and thoughts running a hundred miles per hour. Being Consort doesn’t necessarily mean that they could easily see the Emperor.The chances of any consorts ever seeing the Emperor were based on how high up their rankings are. So far every consort that had been call seem to earned the base rank of any consort being at 7th Rank, from then they move up base on their actions and behavior, or if they were lucky to gain favor with the Emperor.

 

“ And Prince Lee Sungyeolof XX Kingdom” The Head Eunuch paused with deep interests ringing in his voice, “ Due to excellent achievements, I the Great Royal Emperor Grant thy, title of 3rd Rank Consort.” The head Eunuch finished eyeing Sungyeol with full interests with a glint in his eye. Sungyeol eyes widened with shock at the results. He had hope to score well, but he never imagined he’d score that well. His heart lifted in knowing now he finally had a chance.

 

The Head Eunuch now closed the scrolls, motioned the attendants to lead each Consorts to their newly assigned pavilion. He turned towards Sungyeol quickly with a smile.

 

“His highness was mostly impressed with your Archery results Consort Lee.” The Head Eunuch whispers before taking his leave.

 

Sungyeol could feel eyes burning on him. It wasn’t even a day and he could feel himself making more enemies than friends.

 

“Well Congratulations Consort Lee, it looks like you’re heading your way in winning over that Old Emperor.” Prince Minwoo said venomously.  

 

“Watch what you say Consort Minwoo! You should be addressing him as Your Highness, Consort Lee is a 3rd Rank Consort afterall!” Princess Ji Eun scolded the young 6th Rank Consort.

 

“My apologies Highness Lee.” Minwoo bowed, his voice still seething in sarcasm.

 

The other Consorts turn to leave, and Sungyeol found himself already feeling alone in the Grand Palace. Ji Eun turns to him with a gentle smile and a bow.

 

“I hope you don’t take Consort Minwoo’s words to harshly, he has much to learn.” Ji Eun said before taking her leave.  

 

Sungyeol understood, after all he had heard of some about some of the Prince and Princesses there already. He didn’t blame Prince Minwoo for his behavior since he did come from a more prestigious background. Prince Minwoo’s father is King to a larger country that only falls lesser to the Dark Kingdom, it was inevitable that he would feel irritated at Sungyeol who came from a more humble background for gaining a higher rank.


The royal attendants lead Sungyeol to his quarters in the West Pavillion. It was where the higher ranking consorts stayed. The West Pavillion was closest to where the Emperor stayed.