A Day From A Different View 1.7

My School Days [SUSPENDED]

* JR *

 

Today is..? I woke up and lazily resisted getting out of bed despite already being late. It’s only Tuesday. After somehow making my way to the bathroom, I the lights completely blinding myself for a moment then turned to the mirror to figure out what to do with myself today. Aside from my boxers, I had no clothes covering myself yet and my hair was a complete mess. I checked my breath and cringed – not exactly ready to go out in public yet.

When my mom called out a farewell to me, I had begun to scrub away the grime in my teeth. I made an effort to call back out to her, but there’s no way she understood me. After my breath was minty fresh, I scrambled to put on my uniform knowing the bus would be here any second then ran back to the mirror still unsure what to do with the furby my hair decided to cosplay as.

I played with it using my hands trying to figure out what I liked best, but before long, the bus had snuck up on me. The driver honked from outside my house, and I realized if I didn’t leave then they would leave without me. So, again, I scrambled this time to find my backpack and catch the bus on time. My mom said she’d kill me if I had to catch the late bus again.

Just as she closed the door, I came running and waving to stop them from leaving. Right on time. The bus driver cut a glance at me as I climbed aboard, but I smiled at her hoping my charms would give me a pass like it did with other girls and teachers. It failed, but I didn’t really care. I was more concerned with how bad my hair must’ve looked that morning.

Combing through it with my hands, I tried to at least make myself somewhat presentable, but around then, I started to notice the eyes and whispers of the girls on the bus. “His new look,” I heard from one. “It’s messy and cool,” said another. “Is this his new style? y.”  Even at my worst, the girls couldn’t handle me.

A confident smile twisted my face a little, tickling my cheeks. I figured if the girls liked it, I might as well embrace the look so I messed up whatever I had fixed with a quick ruffling of my hands and took a window seat near the back of the bus. Girls, girls, girls – what can I say? They love me.

My neighborhood was the last stop before heading to school so I didn’t have long to hear them fawning over me, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

The school was in sight. The bus stopped at the last spotlight – the intersection at the bottom of the hill which separated the school from everything else. At that moment, my eyes drifted out the window. I saw that guy Hyojin admitted to me had been on her nerves. He walked alone with his head down until he crossed the street to the apartments on the other side.

Hyojin told me that he waited outside for her every morning so they could walk to school. That must’ve been where she lived. As the bus drove away, I questioned to myself what would make him so persistent even though she obviously didn’t like him being around, but at the same time, I couldn’t help but respect him on some level for it.

Especially after everything that had happened yesterday, I didn’t expect for him to think they were on good standings. From what I hear, after Hyojin had fainted, coach took the initiative to carry her to the school’s infirmary, and apparently, she had quite the crowd waiting for her there. Amber and Victoria – the second years, Yoon Bomi – the daughter of the vice chairman of the school’s board of trustees, and then of course that kid – Park Jimin. The undetected presence of the Akdong twins allowed them in the room as well.

I don’t know how she made such an eclectic group of friends, but according to the grape vine, they were all very concerned with her. Jimin was the most stirred up of them all. The nurse wasn’t completely sure what was wrong with her, but diagnosed that the best thing would be to let her rest for a while. In the meantime, everyone that was there apparently had their own idea as to what would cause this to happen.

Bomi still went with the rumors that Hyojin was suicidal. “She probably purposely took prescriptions that weren’t her own but didn’t make the dose large enough to put her under right away. Her body is finally feeling the effects now.”

Victoria knew better than to believe some silly rumors though. “I think she’s just out of shape and was worked too hard too fast. She passed out because she isn’t athletic.”

“You really think that’s it?” Amber continued to debate. “I think it was the smell of all those sweaty boys around her. I swear, they don’t even know what deodorant is.”

Jimin was the only one without an argument to offer for the discussion. Apparently, he sat in the chair in the corner twiddling his thumbs just hoping Hyojin would wake up soon. The typical nice guy – and we all know what they say about nice guys.

When she finally came to, Jimin was first to notice and first to go to her side followed by the others crowding around her bedside. She was still a bit dazed and hadn’t a clue what was going on. She scanned the room then examined the individual faces of everyone around her.

Still trying to put everything together, she sat up and rubbed her head around the part that first made contact with the ground. There was without a doubt still aching of some kind tremoring within her skull. Around then, Jimin started to get really excited right asking a bunch of general questions that you might hear had it been you to have fainted.

“Hyojin! You’re awake!” a declaration of the obvious. “Are you okay? Does anything hurt?” – questions like that, ones of genuine concern. The only difference is they hit her like a machine gun; she had no time to respond.

As questions continued to bombard her, Hyojin’s face continued to scrunch more inward – which probably meant she was giving a pretty intense stank face. “We should probably give her some room to breathe,” Victoria insisted trying to pull everyone back.

The sickling continued massaging her temples, and despite Victoria’s advice, Jimin continued interrogating her relentlessly. “What’s wrong does your head hurt? I’ll get you some water! You want some water?”

“No!” Hyojin shouted abruptly.

Everyone just stopped for a moment. Then Jimin was back to his questions. “Are you sure? Cuz if you need anything I can get it for. Just tell me what you need and I’ll get it.” Victoria attempted to step in and calm him with a few words, but the boy was much too wrapped with nerves to hear her.

“I need you to shut up and leave me alone.”

Once again everyone stopped as if at the drop of a dime – probably shocked that Hyojin could still be so straightforward and cold-hearted in her state of mind. However, it didn’t take long for Jimin to recover. “Are you sure?” he asked a bit hesitant. “I’m sure you must want something, and I can get it for you – no joking! What do you need? Is there anything bothering you? I can ask the nurse for some medicine or something. You just say the word and I’ll—”

And, at that point, the next words out of Hyojin’s mouth made it painfully obvious to everyone she had had enough. “Jimin!” she shouted over his incessant chattering. “The only thing that’s bothering me right now is you.”

For a third time, everything in the room was paused like a video playback suddenly stopping. Jimin’s bright eyes dimmed for a moment before he went to open his mouth once more. “But I…”

“You’re annoying,” Hyojin continued. “You’re so annoying. I don’t know why you’re so obsessed with me, but you have to understand I can only take so much before my head explodes.” Her words finally broke through. “I think I’ve had enough for one day so just leave.”

Needless to say, those words crushed him. For a moment or so, he stayed close to her bedside kneeling on one knee hoping she would at least turn to face him. It didn’t take long for him to finally take the hint (or what might be considered in this case the full answer) and his leave along with it. Everyone only quietly watched as he went to the door then abruptly stopped. “I hope you feel better.”

When I first heard the story, I seriously couldn’t believe it. I mean, what a pansy! If he actually thought he felt something for her, he should have just came out and said it. Not that Hyojin would go for a guy like him anyway. From the sounds of it, she didn’t like him very much, but to keep his feelings to himself like that just to get crushed. I would never let myself get caught in a situation like that.

I didn’t waste too much time thinking about him though especially not after knowing all the girls still eyeing me and murmuring about how handsome I was. I couldn’t help catering to their infatuation. A few of them clung to my arms as we walked in school which I didn’t mind much, but I still like my elbow room.

Other than the unshakable feeling that I’m not looking as good as I could, everything so far had been like a normal morning. Five minutes before the first bell, I was taking my seat in class. The girls of course were still fawning over me.

“Is this your daily ensemble?” my trusty friend asked me.

Mark Tuan – an exchange student from America with messy hair like a bird nest. He liked it that way. I turned to him and smiled as we knocked our fists together. “Not the normal ones, no,” I replied. “What made you ask?”

“Didn’t recognize them ones right away,” Mark answered. “Where are the others?”

“Who knows and who cares.” I turned back toward the girls who stood conversing at the front of the room and trying to sneak glances at me. I winked at them, and they were set ablaze with giggles and the rest. “What do you think if I let you have the others for yourself?”

Flirting from afar, I wasn’t really giving him a thought, but after an extended silence, I turned back to Mark wondering why he hadn’t answered. He didn’t smile or even respond to my question. “I think I’ll have to decline on that very generous offer of yours.”

Not the answer, I expected either. I went to ask what exactly he meant, but was surprised to hear the voice of our instructor as he entered the room. “Ladies, this isn’t your homeroom,” obviously referring to the girls that had followed me in. “You should be on your way now or were you hoping to get a very personal invitation to detention from me?”

As anyone might be, the lot of them were turned off by his cold statement. I shared one last smile with a few of them before they left then watched their frowns return to smiles as they went on their way out. Girls just love me.

The moment they reached the door Hyojin came storming in. I could almost feel the earth quaking with her every stomp. I guess she wasn’t happy to find Jimin outside her apartment especially after yesterday. I almost laughed at the thought of how she responded.

The girls all filed out a bit confused by her, and Jimin himself made his way in with his head hung in some kind of melancholy I can’t fully describe. Hyojin couldn’t even look his way as he brought himself to his seat despite that fact that he sat right behind her. I almost laughed again. I’ve never met a girl so hostile or rather not as hostile as her.

Or, maybe, I should say I had never met a get like her at all.

The tardy bell rang and our mundane morning routines began just before class could kick into gear. I can’t say I ever paid much attention to lectures or even tried very hard. There was no point. I never got below a C on any of my tests, and if I needed to raise my grade, I could always talk my teachers into giving me extra credit.  School wasn’t a challenge at all.

Without much of a challenge academically, I suppose that’s why I was always after girls and playing around all the time. It was definitely my main motivation for running for class president. I’ve been dying for something different, something out of the ordinary compared to my mundane, morning routine.

Maybe that’s why I like Hyojin so much. She didn’t try to be cute and “pretty” like all the other girls. She wasn’t desperate for other people’s attention or approval, and she never tried to sugarcoat herself or filter her true feelings. She was open and upfront about everything, and she had a brilliant mind. On top of all that, she was just gorgeous. I fell for her. Even now, from a few seats away, my eyes are glued to her.

Miss Lee Haeri, our English teacher, chewed me out on it in the middle of class actually. It was a bit embarrassing, but she didn’t know that I was staring at a girl. She just assumed I was daydreaming. Hyojin knew better though. I caught her glancing back at me after the fact – that’s how I know. Even without trying, she was adorable.

I decided that I would have her at lunch today. We always met together away from everyone whenever we had the chance. I could never get enough of her, and I wanted to make sure she felt the same about me. I didn’t want anyone else to have her.

Not a second passed after the bell rang and I had already shot up and went to her desk. “You wanna get outta here?” was all I could say in my aroused state. I stared into her eyes earnestly and smiled hoping she’d pick up what I was putting down.

She looked back at me, and the spotlights in her eyes shone and twinkled as if reflecting off sparkling pieces of glass. Just as she opened , I knew for sure she’d reply accepting my offer. I knew that we’d escape together like we always did, and she would kiss me the way I liked it. She was mine. And then, she touched my arm and her eyes drifted down. “Not today,” she said just barely loud enough to be heard.

I was shocked to say the least, but all I could do was swallow her answer like a huge pill. I couldn’t believe she rejected me, but I knew that she for sure had a good reason for it. I smiled at her and nodded. It was stuff like this that kept me coming back to her. She’s so different.

Dealing with rejection wasn’t exactly something I was used to, but I knew I could always count on Mark to be at my side. I went to him and asked where he wanted to eat lunch today. He was beaming just after the question left my mouth. Anyone would be able to see why, too. I spent most of my extra time in with Hyojin; it had been a while since we hang out.

We took to the halls looking for somewhere to eat lunch and have some quality bro on bro time which ended up being pretty hard to go through with. Just as we walked through the halls, girls stared and made moves on us. There could only be two reasons for it, as far as I could tell. One: we were the most attractive guys they had seen; or two: my bed head was more of a lady killer than I thought. Either way, it was a while before we found a place secluded enough to eat in peace. Ironic that it was the same place Hyojin and I came upon just yesterday.

The rooftop – looking down from here made everything seem so distant, almost nonexistent. The troubles and responsibilities of the world were miles and miles away and didn’t require any attention from me. Up here, I felt like I could be myself and without worrying about what people think of me. It was freeing.

We sat in near silence for quite some time aside from our normal banter, those everyday jokes we had shared since the day we met. I might have attributed it to the fact we were eating and trying to focus on our food, but I had a feeling something was up. Mark’s a quiet person, but I haven’t known him to be this quiet before.

“Well how about those cuties from before?” I couldn’t stand the silence anymore. “I can’t remember the last time so many hot girls were all over me, you?”

He glanced up at me awkwardly and didn’t answer – just on with his eating.

Playing hard ball, huh? “It’s been a while since you put yourself out there, don’t ya think?” He looked up at me again. “Why don’t we head to 2U Garden after school?”

“2U Garden?” he questioned. It’s just like him to be out of the loop.

“Yeah, it’s a new café that opened up just this past summer right down the street. They have a special on Tuesdays. Students eat half off. I actually haven’t been myself, but I hear it’s a pretty chill place and the food is good. Annnd~! There will probably be a lot of hot girls there!”

Even with my emphasizing that most important point, it took a second for Mark to understand what I meant, but once he did, I saw it in his eyes. “Yeah, hot girrrls, right!” he chuckled nervously his face blushing slightly. If that wasn’t the most insincere response I had ever heard, then I’ll be waiting an eternity for the next.

Mark’s attention slowly went back to his lunch. I knew now something was definitely up, but when it came to Mark getting it out of him would be about as easy as walking across a tight rope while balancing ten beach balls on my nose – that is not at all.

Even without his input though, I could already see the idea of a hot girl wasn't as exciting to him anymore. We’ve been friends since junior high so I could read him pretty well at this point. He'd been chancing girls and girls have been chancing him for the longest time, but those relationship rarely lasted more than a month give or take a few days. Most of them ended because of lack of , and it wasn’t Mark who was ending them.

He’s a fifteen year old guy just like me, but he acts as if he never had a dirty thought his entire life! Maybe he just thinks he isn’t ready for it. If that’s it, he probably thinks he never will be, but how could he possibly know after a month long relationship? If it were me, within the first week, I would have gone all the way with every one of the girls he had been with.

That thought reminded me that I hadn’t even come anywhere close with Hyojin. I couldn’t help, but wonder what made her reject me as much as I wanted to avoid pondering it. I thought hard as I could, but not a single answer came to me.

Suddenly, right around then, the door slammed open. Mark and I turned all the way around as the knob sung some off key tune after hitting against the wall like a clapper might knock against the inside of a bell. The agonizing note however was overcome by the bellowing laugh of some bulky looking jock as he paraded through it his hands carrying his lunch and his mouth full of food.  He was followed by the sibling duo Hyojin and I had come across just the other day. They had apparently just finished with the end of some hilarious joke, but that was nothing more than a random guess on my part.

After noticing us, the huge lummox quickly attempted to stifle his laugh probably to keep from further disturbing us, but we didn’t mind – or, I didn’t, at least. Mark, on the other hand, seemed a bit taken aback to say the least.

“Sorry,” the lummox continued to chuckle awkwardly. “We didn’t expect for anyone else to be eating up here.” I didn’t expect anyone to come yelling at the top of their lungs up here either, but again, I didn’t mind.

I was planning on responding with something along the same lines, but was beaten out by Chanhyuk. “Aren’t you that guy that came up here with Lee Hyojin yesterday?” he asked curiously. It was hard to believe he was serious. Was his exchange with her really more memorable than seeing me, or was he pretending he had forgotten me in attempt to play coy? I was always into the hard-to-get types, but I could never envision myself with another guy…

“Flattering that even guys want to flirt with me.” I wanted to with something along those lines, but was once again beaten to the punch.

This time it was the lummox who talked over me – not surprising. “You know, Lee Hyojin?” he said with genuine, outstanding interest. If I didn’t know better, I’d think she was a celebrity and he was a fanboy yet still I was surprised that she was so popular suddenly. “Aw man! You have to introduce me!” Finally taking the time to chew and swallow his food, he paused, set, aside his lunch, and brushed off his hands before offering one to me. “I should probably introduce myself first though, right? I’m Jackson Wang.”

“Jr.,” I slowly replied as I just as hesitantly shook his hand. Gesturing toward Mark, I continued, “And the quiet guy’s Mark. If you don’t mind: can I ask why you want to meet Hyojin so badly?”

“Are you kidding?” he exclaimed suddenly. “She’s a total hottie! Did you hear about how she totally beat all the other girls in the sprints yesterday during P.E.? Athletic girls are just my type.” I guess the part where she fainted was lost in translation when people started fussing about her. “She’s pretty brainy, too! She scored with the top people who took the entrance exam. Plus she’s all reserved and quiet. The shy type are so cute! She’s perfect~! It’s like she’s secretly some kind of celebrity or something!”

So, that was how he thought of her after all – weird. Is this what other guys thought of her, too? I guess she hasn’t met as many people as I thought yet still she’s apparently a lot more popular than either of us were aware – so weird. I was tempted to tell him about me and her and us, but what could I say? It wasn’t as if what we had was anything official. What are we, anyways?

“What do you say, man?” Jackson exclaimed once again bringing me back from la la land. “Think I could meet her?”

I wanted to say something. I should have said something, but I couldn’t find the words. At least, not as soon as Soohyun did. “Actually, I think the two of them have a thing going on. Isn’t that right?” she questioned cutely.

For some reason, I had a sort of foreboding sense that they had planned out this meeting a bit in advance. I couldn’t tell if it was Chanhyuk’s crooked smile, Soohyun’s attempt at being petite and sweet, or if I was just full of it, but Jackson seemed genuine enough. I doubt anyone could fake the disappointed look smeared across his face.

Of course, it wasn’t long before he bounced right back to the jaunty guy he was when he first interrupted our lunch. “I guess I should’ve known a girl like that wouldn’t stay out on the market long,” he said just after a deep sigh. “There’s sure to be a lot of girls at 2U Garden tonight though! You guys thinkin’ about goin’?”

“Actually, we were just talking about that,” I said in some kind of surprise. “The place is starting to get kinda popular now so there’s definitely going to be a lot of girls there. I’m just trying to convince Mark to go.”

We all turned to him, and he seemed a bit lost in thought – staring straight into Jackson’s eyes. After realizing all eyes were on him, he was shaken awake and speechless. “What?” he questioned with worry.

The two siblings snickered while Jackson replied to him, “2U Garden! You should come tonight!”

“I don’t know if I want to,” Mark trailed off in response.

The sappiness seriously didn’t fit him. I was getting frustrated. “Come on, man! You’re being such a downer! It’s not like you have plans or anything; why don’t you want to come?”

He looked at me, his eyes drifted down, and his lips parted slightly as he tried to figure out how he was going to reply. Right about when he was ready to say something, the bell screamed as loud as its clinging tongue would allow. We were all surprised; lunch seemed abnormally short today.

I still wanted an answer, but Mark seemed resolved not to give one especially now that it was time to go back to class. Yet still, his head bowed with a similar gloom I saw from Jimin this morning. He must have been upset with himself for not being able to answer, but honestly, I never know what’s on that guy’s mind.

Jackson came closer to him and patted his head softly with the palm of his hand saying “Don’t worry, man. You just think about it, and if you decide to come, we’ll hang out there, alright?”

Just then, the way Mark looked at him reminded me of something – a child seeing a rainbow for the first time after a storm, or a baby bird staring up in helpless wonder as someone lifted it from the bottom of the tree it fell from. Yeah, I can picture Mark as a baby bird.

He nodded back to Jackson and weakly replied, “Okay.”

After that, Jackson smiled said a quick farewell and went off to class. The twins were long gone – spirted away so quickly as if they had only come to instigate this meeting, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I don’t think of them as the conniving type.

When the two of us had finished gathering our things and went back to class, I returned to find the once depressed, pale countenance Jimin wore on his face only a few hours previously had brightened up a bit. The entire room seemed fresher because of it. Hyojin’s shoulders weren’t as tense as before either; some large sum of weight was lifted from them. I didn’t know for sure, but if I had to guess, they must have resolved whatever differences they had between each other in the time they had together.

I wasn’t going to ask about it though. I walked up to her and leaned over her as she looked up to me and smiled gently saying, “Hey.” It was probably the sweetest I had ever seen her. The room was twice as refreshed now, and my heart played hopscotch against my chest.

“There’s a new spot everyone’s talkin’ about recently. It just opened up like two weeks ago – 2U Garden. Mark and I were planning on going tonight since students eat free and all. You think you’d wanna come?”

As I spoke, I could see her shoulders once again seizing up. It was as if she was withdrawing into a shell the same way she had been earlier today. I could only wonder if I had said something wrong. Did I misspeak?

She sighed deeply. “I took a job their last weekend. I already know all about it don’t worry.”

“Don’t you already have a job?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be able to cover college expenses with it. I can barely pay for my living expenses now. I didn’t take into account that I don’t have my parents helping me afford college anymore so it’s only logical that I take up a second job. I’ll need as much money as I can get.”

I wanted to share a few words of sympathy, but as they crawled up my throat, our teacher came in bringing the class to attention and calling us all to our seats. There was no time to talk to each other throughout the day, and I came to think it was for the best that we didn’t go together after all. I’m not sure what would come of us being seen that way.

Either way, she would be there so at least I would get to see her. That evening, just before leaving home, Mark called me. I expected him to cave in, but I didn’t expect him to get there before me and ask where I was. I couldn’t tell if he was excited or nervous, but I tried to get there as soon as I could.

As expected, the 60’s-themed diner was crowded as could be. Inside and out, there were high schoolers munching and mingling amongst themselves. It seemed like fun. Especially since the girls couldn’t take their eyes off me. I had done my hair a different style for the third time this week, and the ladies were swooning off their toes about it.

When I found Mark (or rather he found me), he was wearing a sleeveless top and a nervous demeanor with his hair combed cleanly to accent the whole lost puppy look he must’ve been going for. The girls were whispering on and on about how cute he was, but he didn’t pay any attention. The aloof guy strategy, huh? I suppose it works for some people.

The two of us went inside together to find the diner blasting at the seams with rock-and-roll music, a bubble machine, and high schoolers yelping and hollering left and right. The interior was brightened by a technicolor composition of furnishings and accented by the lacings of neon light threads which traced the crown of the wall as well as the tables. It was a unique arrangement that seemed too surreal to be more than a fantasy.

The whole time I was looking to see where Hyojin was, but I couldn’t find her. “Hey, over here!” Mark and I turned to find it was Jackson calling out to us at a table by himself. He was probably overjoyed he finally found someone to see with him.

“So, is this a party or a diner?” I asked him as we sat down.

“I can’t really tell myself,” he chuckled. “Whatever it is, I like it!” I wasn’t sure how I felt about it.

Given, today there was a special for the high schoolers, it was still a lot louder than I would prefer of an eatery. My feelings would probably change once I got something to eat, but it seemed the place was a bit short staffed so my wait for food would be extended.

“How ya doin’, Mark?” Jackson spoke up again after we left the conversation hanging. “Do ya think you like it here?”

Mark glanced at me before mustering up the nerve to answer. “It’s cool.”

He never was a good conversationalist. “You don’t talk much, do ya, Mark?”

“Not really,” he replied.

“Well, I guess that’s where you and I differ. A lot of people might describe it as liking the sound of my own voice, but I think it’s more that I dislike the sound of silence.”

We all paused for a second. “The sound of silence?” Mark questioned.

Jackson was taken aback for a moment while he rethought what he had said. “The sound of silence?” he questioned before laughing loudly. “I guess that doesn’t really make much sense, huh? It made sense in my head, okay!!”

Just then, as I heard Mark laugh for the first time in a while, I turned to laugh with them and saw her. Passing by in a rockabilly waiter’s getup with a short skirt and tray of drinks, Hyojin with a ponytail – a bit higher than normal – walked gracefully to a booth in the corner near the windows.

For that ephemeral moment in watching her ethereal being buoyantly skim across the floor and passed us, I realized while completely allured and fascinated by the sight of her the way by which she had completely infatuated me. I couldn’t understand it before, but just then I saw just how beautiful she was. That silky dark hair which flowed like a river from her head; her slender, delicate shoulders and her physique – busty yet not too plump; that small back which tightened to an even slimmer waist line; those strong, wide hips and the gap their distance created in her legs which her thighs just barely overcame. Even her ankles, she was perfect from head to toe.

As spurious as the sun is brilliant, her smile had been forged behind closed doors and plastered over her face like wallpaper. Yet still, with its rarity and illustrious gleam, it was beautiful nonetheless. In any case, as dazed and distracted I was, I could see that this wasn’t her favorite job. I can’t say I’d like being a waiter either especially if I had to deal with customers like these.

It wasn’t enough that she had to wait on the girl that was spreading all the vicious rumors about her, but her friends and groupies were surrounding her. Hyojin did her best to keep her professional smile and serve the tables well, but very few people would be willing to deal with a girl like that not to mention all the guys turning up her skirt and making passes at her. I might have stepped in, but I couldn’t do it.

After making note of everyone’s orders, Hyojin was once again zipping passed us. For a moment, we made eye contact, but she was too ashamed by her job and current circumstances to keep up the exchange. She bowed her head to avoid sharing glances with anyone else as she made her way to the kitchen.

“You’re one lucky guy, Jr.,” Jackson commented. “To have a girl like that? I don’t know how you did it, but I’ll tell you what: if you manage to lose her, don’t be mad if she falls in love with me. What I wouldn’t do to have a relationship that meant something.”

“Yeah,” Mark said looking at him so completely entranced by the piper’s melodic voice. “I know what you mean.”

Me, on the other hand, I was still trying to figure it out. A relationship? Who ever said anything about a relationship? I mean sure we were having fun together, but a “relationship”? It wasn’t until hearing someone say it out loud that I realized how mixed up I was about my feelings for that girl. Hyojin – what are you to me?

Few minutes had passed by and she was out again with platters of food for her most obnoxious table. Meanwhile, ours still hadn’t even met our server. We tried to distract ourselves with meaningless, shallow conversation, but with every lull, we realized how bored we were of it. The only thing on my mind was food and, of course, her.

I glanced back to watch her and the way she moved. Those pigs had no idea how lucky they were to be so close to perfection. “Is there anything else I could help you with?”

“Yes, actually, there is,” Jessica replied with literally unbelievable enthusiasm. “My water?”

Perplexed by the statement, Hyojin examined the full glass and questioned, “What’s wrong with it?” In the moment of her asking, Hyojin found herself drenched by ill will.

Wiping the water from her face, she opened her eyes just soon enough to see Jessica smirk and pour the rest of the water onto her foot. Hyojin’s jaw hung in disgust traumatized by a new level of embarrassment she likely hadn’t met before. “I don’t have anymore,” Jessica answered. “Do you think I could get a refill?”

Everyone around her laughed, and Hyojin took in a breath likely as an attempt to keep from snapping like a twig. She turned to retrieve the pitcher of water from the counter and shared a few words with the server there while everyone still teased at her expense. I could see her sigh and her shoulders drooped wearily just before she nodded as if in confirmation of what he had said.

Taking the pitcher, she turned back toward the table stopping only for a moment as our eyes met. I could see her true feelings in her eyes and how restricted she felt, hopeless with no other choice except to abide by the rules of her job. I knew she wouldn’t want it of me, but I pitied her. She glared at me for a moment then forced a smile as she clenched the pitcher of water closer to her body.

Jessica held out her glass expectedly as Hyojin approached their table. Hyojin once more looked over her shoulder rather pitifully. I wanted to help, but what could I do. It was hard to believe Hyojin could find such patience, or maybe I had spoken too soon. In moments, I would witness her taking vengeance in a similar fashion as what Jessica had done. She had the whole pitcher completely poured over her head, and everyone who was watching was completely at a loss for words.

Hyojin seemed satisfied, but it wouldn’t be long before her boss would quell the silence with a ruckus of his own. She assured him that he wouldn’t need to worry about her any longer and handed over her apron very gratified by the actions she had taken. Taking down her ponytail, she passed by our table just one last time that night, and just like that she was gone and out the door. I wanted to follow her, but I couldn’t.

I stayed to eat with Mark and Jackson, and we had a somewhat enjoyable time; if not because of each other then I’d say watching Jessica’s meltdown was entertainment enough. It would’ve been better if she was there, but what’s done is done. Before long, we finally had our food and with our bellies full we had no more reason to waste our time there. The sun set on that eventful day as I made my way home and I couldn’t help but wonder where the moon was that night. Without the moonlight, I suddenly felt lonely.