Leaving

Leaving

Junhong sighed into my neck as I rested against his chest.
"I'm going to miss this." he said to me.


"As am I..." I replied. Two years he'll be gone. A full two years. "I don't know how we'll make it without you." I cuddled as close as I could to him.


"You'll find a way. You're smart, that's one of the reasons I fell for you. Everyone needs someone with them, including you. But at the same time, you know how to be independent." he told me. I raised my head to look my husband in the eye.


"Two years is too long for me to be independent." I told him. He smiled down at me.


"No it's not. You were independent for years before you met me. Plus, you have our little angel to keep you company." I smiled back at him. Our daughter, Riyeon, just turned two...Now her father has to go off to the military and she won't be able to play with him until she's four.


"She's gonna miss you too..." I sighed, "We should've moved to America while we had the chance."


"Don't say that Sweetheart. If we'd moved, we'd leave everyone behind. Plus, you know how limited my English is." We laughed together.


"It's not that bad." I told him. Oh how I loved this man. Even in times like this, he still manages to make me laugh. Suddenly I remembered our days back in high school. I remembered tutoring him in English and how he had trouble pronouncing certain words. "Are you still having trouble with the word beautiful?" I asked.


"Nope! I got it." he answered with a smile.


"Prove it. Use it in a sentence. Describe flowers." He was silent for a second, thinking before he finally said,


"Beautiful flowers that once graced this valley are nothing compared to the beauty of my wife." He smiled again.


"You're so corny!" I said while laughing.
"Only for you Sweetheart. Only for you." Suddenly I heard the cries of our daughter. "She's up."


"I think she wants her dad."


"Ah ah ah. It's your turn." I rolled my eyes as I made my way over to Riyeon's room. She was laying in her crib crying and squeezing her teddy bear.


"Come 'ere sweetie." I said as I picked her up. I made my way back to where Junhong stood by the door.
She reached out her arms for her father and he took her.


"Hi RiRi." Junhong said as he took one of Riyeon's hands (more like she grabbed his finger), "I have to leave in a few minutes, but I'll Skype with you guys and I'll remember to write and call. I could never forget the two most important women in my life." he put an arm around me and pulled me close to him as he held Riyeon in his other arm. Five minutes, that's all we have left for this.


"We should get your stuff in the car." I said softly. He nodded and handed Riyeon to me and grabbed his duffel bag. We slipped on our shoes and jackets and walked to our driveway. He tossed his bag into the trunk and closed it. Wrapping his arms around us, he held Riyeon and I close to his chest. Neither he nor I spoke. Even Riyeon was silent. We stood silently, holding tightly to every moment spent together before the alarm on my phone finally went off. It was time for him to leave. He gave us one last squeeze before we let each other go.


"I'll miss you." I said to him with a heavy heart.


"I'll miss you too." he responded. He leaned down and kissed my lips softly, sweetly. We both knew that we wouldn't be able to have this moment again for a full two years, so we savored every second of it. He pulled away and looked me in the eye. "I love you, Haneul. I love you so much it hurts." I could feel the tears welling up behind my eyes, but I held them back for the sake of Junhong and for the sake of our daughter.


"I love you too Junhong." This was one of those moments when all things happy, or joyful, or sweet, or fun were forgotten and all that remained was the seriousness of the moment. I heard Riyeon yawn for she was still in my arms.


"You too Riyeon. I love you too." Junhong told her. He kissed her head and kissed me one last time before stepping into the car. "Bye Sweetheart. I'll be back before you know it." he told me. Thunder roared overhead, a storm threatening to drench us, "Get inside before you get sick. I won't leave until I see you in the window."


"Okay." I replied. He squeezed my hand through the window before I let go of him and headed quickly inside. Through the large window, I could see him. He was sitting with the car light on. When our eyes met, he smiled. It wasn't a happy smile, more a reassuring smile. As if he could see that I was hurting, that the moment he leaves and Riyeon is back in bed, I'll break down. I returned a sad smile to him. 'I love you.' he mouthed. 'I love you too.' I mouthed back. He then turned the car light off and pulled out. The first few rain drops began to fall. Quickly, I ran to put my sleeping Riyeon back in bed. I returned just in time to see the car lights disappear down the road. As they did thunder roared. I sunk slowly to the floor and pulled my knees to my chest. And as the rain fell, my tears fell also.