CHAPTER 1: Down the rabbit hole

My Neverland

CHAPTER 1: Down the rabbit hole

 

When you're a kid is all easier. Jiyeon would do anything to go back to her childhood. At that childhood made of fairy tales that tell of errant knights with shiny shields and fairy godmothers. Where monsters are defeated and the princess marries prince charming to live happily ever after.

That childhood made of fantasy and happiness where no pain is unbearable, so different from the pain of reality.

The incident of the morning had taken her by surprise. Not that she was not used to it, only she had hoped that ignoring the pain long enough this would disappear.

This was not the first time that such a thing happened, but it had been a long time since the last episode.

Do not think had given her the illusion of feeling good but it was not. Often at night Jiyeon could not sleep because of suffering. But she didn’t cry. Not anymore because she had run out tears and partly because she had made a promise to Him. “Do not cry anymore you’re ugly! You better smile, got it? I love it” foolish she kept that promise even thought he wouldn't ever comeback.

After all, she was used to such incidents and she had learned how to compose herself to not worry others: fix the uniform, comb hair, check that make up is ok, put an upbeat song in the iPod, take a deep breath, smile and walk head-to school.

Done, the show is up.

 

«An other A+ to Miss Park! Worthy of you indeed!» the teacher hand her the test with the big red mark on it. She just nods before the bell rings marking the end of morning classes.

Time has passed so fast, she didn’t even noticed. She has an empty mind. She didn’t pay attention to any lessons.

«Wow Jiyeon-ah! Did you hear the teacher? Daebak how did you get such a high score in math? Jiyeon-ah congratulations! Indeed is you! I’ve always thought you were a genius you know? How is it even possible understand all those numbers and mathematical formulas?? Yah yah Jiyeon-ah you have to tell me your secret! I’m not gonna say to anyone I swear!! Hey Jiyeon-ah? – Hyemi snaps her fingers -  Earth call Miss Park Jiyeon! Hey are you listening? Oh right, do you wanna eat lunch together? They said today there’s fried chicken and I know you know how much I love it, and you too!! » 

The river of words said by Hyemi manages to wake up Jiyeon from trans «W-What? » 

« Do you wanna eat lunch together? » 

« Ah.. right! Yes, sorry Hyemi-ah I was lost in my thoughts...» 

«As always hehe. Don't worry it's ok but hurry up or those hungry people will finish all the good things!» and saying this she disappears in the hallway swallowed up by the crowd of people.

«Mmm, ' coming!»

For many people hang out with a person like Hyemi would be tiring. But not for Jiyeon.

Sometimes she'd like to be more like her friend, a free spirit, always smiling, spontaneous and excited for everything. Maybe life wouldn't appear so "gray".

 

The canteen is very crowded, Jiyeon is unable to reach Hyemi to their usual table so she vagues with the tray looking for a free spot.

Suddenly someone passes by causing her to lose her balance.

She fells on the ground and spills the food on her uniform.

*oh.. well stranger you could at least help me..*

The culprit turns around with an apologetically face and runs to help her, looking for a tissue.

«Omo, I’m so so so sooo sorry! I didn’t mean to ruin your uniform! I’m so sorry I was in a rush and... » he tries unsuccessfully to clean Jiyeon’s jacket.

 

Embarrassed she tries to stand up and stop the guy who keeps spreading oil on her poor uniform «I-I’m ok, don’t worry.. please can you stop, it’s ok, please.. stop! »

«oh.. yeah sorry.. it was a little awkward wasn't it? I’m... » the tanned guy doesn’t have time to finish the sentence that a tall boy with black hair approaches them.

«Yah You! Hands off my little sister! Don’t dare to touch her! Jiyeon-ah are you alright? Aish.. what happened? »

«Nothing Jinyoung-oppa, we just bumped into each other and I spilled my food all around.. not big deal I’m ok, don’t worry... »

The stranger bows «Sunbae I’m sorry it was all my fault.. I was in a hurry and didn’t pay enough attention.. I’m really sorry, if there’s something I can do.. »

Jinyoung puts his jacket on Jiyeon «No, really you’ve already done enough! Be more careful next time! Ah Jiyeon-ah look, I’ll ask Hyemi to help you change and later I’ll bring you food, go she’s there »

«Neh oppa.. thank you.. » she wanted to thank also the guy but when she turns around he's already gone.

 

The sound of the bell wakes up Jiyeon who has fallen asleep at the end of afternoon classes. The class is empty. Everyone looked forward to get out and see the last ray of sunshine brave enough to break the blanket of clouds.

She puts the books and pens in the backpack, put the headphones on and gets out of the classroom.

Another dull and gray day, at least for her, has come to end.

Jiyeon is walking in the hallway when in the distance she sees the chicken guy of that morning.

*It must definitely be him.. he is such a hurry, always running*

She decides to follow him, to thank him for the help he has given her in the morning ... and also because she is curious.

He leaves the school and runs to the bus stop; sure she could go back and thank him the next morning but for some reason she decides to follow him.

They get on the first bus.

 

The trip seems endless. She doesn’t know where they’re going. For some unknown reason Jiyeon is hiding behind the seat.

That guy with silk skin is so .. so special in some way. Different, she has never seen anyone who might look like. And .. it’s the first time that she stops to observe someone. Jiyeon didn’t do it anymore since a lot time ago.

Recently her world is all gray, no color, nothing. Every action is mechanical, pausing to watch the sunset or sunrise doesn’t interest her anymore. Jiyeon always walks with her head down.

Why bother to see a world now that for her has lost all the colors and every importance?

The bus stops abruptly. «Where are we? » she whispers.

The guy goes down in a hurry and heads towards a dark alley. On a nearby sign it reads Hwanghakdong Flea Market.

Jiyeon is now very far from home... she could come back now but there's that little feeling deep inside her soul that says her to keep going.

Jiyeon doesn’t have time to get off the bus that the boy has already disappeared. She goes running down the alley.

She finds herself squeezed among lots of stalls of second-hand goods... there’re vinyl records and LP players, old music tapes, vintage phones, necklaces and rings rusted and aged by time.

It seems as if time has stopped. Those strange objects have a strange aura, like they have a story to tell.

Lost in her thought Jiyeon spots the guy in distance between the stalls. He’s going into a shop with tinted windows. She then starts to run to catch up with him.

As soon as she sets foot inside the shop a strange strong smell of old books and tea hits her. She is in an old bookstore.

There are endless shelves crammed with books with faded covers that reach the ceiling. An unimaginable number of aisles in the dim light overhung by piles of books.

She goes into one of these hallways and continues to walk by sliding the look through the covers titles.

Suddenly she hears a loud noise. She turns and sees the boy. Jiyeon decides to chase him.

After a moment she freezes. It’s a dead end.

«W-who are you? You scared me to death! » Here she spots the guy who turns to look at her with a shocked face.

«I-I... I’m sorry. I just wanted to thank you for this morning... you know the incident at lunch.. » Jiyeon says while lacing fingers nervously.

«Oh I remember... but thank me for what? It’s actually my fault. But wait a minute. Did you follow me only to say this? » a little smile cracks on the guy's face.

«I guess.. well yes. I mean you came back»

«I see.. nice to meet you by the way! My name is Kim Jongin.. and you are?» he holds out his hand with a big smile.

«My name is Park Jiyeon... do you really not know me? »

«Well not really? Why shoud I? I’m sorry I’d like to keep you more comapany but I’m late. Sorry gotta go! »

«No you don’t have to.. well bye... » and with this the jongin guy disappears.

Not that Jiyeon is so self-centered to think that everyone in the school knows her, just she thought it was impossible to find someone who really doesn’t know who she is after the past events.

Her story was the top of rumors not long ago...

*What to do now?*  she keeps thinking while she wanders among the ranks of books.

A half open book resting on a small stool catches her eye.

On the old and damaged dark red skin cover is engraved with gold roman fonts the faded title.

“Neverland”.

 

It was curious that a book named like the island of Peter Pan was there. It was strange because for some reason the Peter Pan one was her favorite fairy tale since she was a little child.

Even strange was the fact that there wasn’t the author’s name.

Jiyeon opens it, with caution for fear of crumpling the pages that seemed very fragile.

 

"Are you sure you want to continue?" Ok it isn’t normal find such a sentence on the first page, but it was still less than what followed on the second.

"If you continue to read you may regret. Make your choice."

 

Choice. Jiyeon always hated that word, but she surprises herself when she decides on impulse to turn the page.

Suddenly a strong wind appeares: the book’s pages begin to fly everywhere.

A big vortex of sheets projects Jiyeon into the air and her into a dark hole.

It's a moment, she has no time to think that maybe it's nonsense.

She had been very curious and hadn’t listen to the little voice telling her to put down the book because of a bad feeling.

 

Lewis Carroll in his story had always been right about his Alice and perhaps even Jiyeon should have think more to her actions, but how could she had know.

 

“Alice gives herself very good advice, but she very seldom follow it”

 


AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hello everyone! Finally I can show you the very first chapter! I apologize for the long wait but the editing wasn't easy.
I hope you enjoy at least a little ^^

In the following chapters (for which I swear you won't wait so long) we will meet other characters .. like a certain fire-haired. Who will be?

Let me know your thoughts. Do you like the story? Are there some misunderstandings or mistakes? Feel free to talk to me, I'm actually quite nice ^^

Comment, subscribe or upvote if you like *throws cookies*


Stay tuned and thanks,

See you next time, love ya all ♥

ps: Last but not least a very big thank you to Bleak_night for subscribing and the upvoting! You don't know how much this means to me ♡♡ *I hope not to have disappointed expectations*

 

[edited on 2015.01.10]