Fourteen

That Man's Child

Kibum never thought he would ever loathe somebody this much. He was a doctor. He always told himself that to be a doctor was to love others, to value others. He had been dedicated many years of his life to help other people, to always be nice, yet he couldn’t bring himself to do so to this specific someone. As an honest man, he couldn’t stand a dirty play like this. He didn’t like the fact that he was a helpless inferior that had no choice but to comply with his superior, his filthy and selfish superior he might say. If it wasn’t for the fact that he had an ill family under his care, he wouldn’t even agree on such things like this. He was violating his work ethic and what possibly could be worse than that?

Unfortunately, Kim Jonghyun was not only leaving him with the guilt of breaking his work ethic but also with an unending worry about what he might be planning on Jinki and Jongki. As much as he had told himself not to get attached to any of his patience, Kibum couldn’t help but saved a spot for this family. He cared for Jinki like a real brother and loved little Jongki like his own son. He was happy he stayed with them during their hard times and was the happiest person when things got better for them. Hell, how much he would have done to keep those smiles on their faces. Now, there was this douche bag called Kim Jonghyun came in and about to ruined the peace in this little family. He wondered why Jinki even befriended such person in the past. He guessed there must be something about Jonghyun that made Jinki kept everything to himself, not letting Jonghyun know the truth about his life which led Jonghyun to him. He never expected things to get this complicated with Jonghyun, though. No matter how he thought about it, it was odd how Jonghyun wanted a DNA testing on him and Jongki to find out if he was Jongki’s biological father. Why would he ever think that he was possibly Jongki’s father? The whole thing had him wondered if the two were actually a lover and broke up and somehow not in a good term with each other. He made a mental note to clarify this with Jonghyun when he got back from visiting his colleague.

 

On the other hand, Jonghyun casually made his way to the actual doctor appointment. Kibum was never the doctor in charge on Jongki’s case which explained why they had to meet another doctor.

“Where are we going, Uncle?”

“We are going to another doctor. He would see if everything is okay with Jongki’s head.”

“Doctor Kibum gave me a shot. Jongki’s head must be okay very soon.” Jonghyun could tell that Jongki was reluctant to meet another doctor.

“But we have to visit this doctor to make sure Jongki’s head will never hurt again.” Jonghyun explained. “Jongki-ah, can you promise me something?” Jonghyun stopped all of sudden and put Jongki down. He got on his knee and faced the boy. “Can you promise me to not tell anyone that doctor Kibum gave you a shot?” Actually Kibum wasn’t giving him a shot; he was taking a blood sample instead. Jonghyun had Jongki’s eyes covered so the boy didn’t freak out.

“Why?”

“Because Uncle is worried about Jongki’s health so Uncle makes a request to doctor Kibum to give you an injection. It will make you feel better. But if Appa and the other doctor find out, they would scold Uncle because you hate getting a shot, right?”

Jongki nodded and offered his pinky finger to Jonghyun. It was reliving and disturbing at the same time for Jonghyun. He was satisfied that Jongki would keep his mouth shut but he wasn’t feeling good for lying to the child. He then realized that this might be how his hyung always felt when he lied to Jongki. His feeling only went worse when he recalled how he was criticizing Jinki for that.

***

“This is when Minho hyung went to Jeju for a photoshoot.” Taemin said as he showed the older another picture on his phone. After Jonghyun left with Jongki, Jinki had devoted his attention to Taemin and Minho. He had them sat on the living room while he got them drinks; he insisted when the younger politely refused. He had Taemin leaning on him, wrapping one of his arm around his shoulder to keep him close. Minho sat beside Taemin, feeling contented just watching the two together. Jinki had asked for the updates on their lives to distract Taemin from turning into a crying mess one more time. He was glad when Taemin eagerly showed off his model boyfriend. He learnt that Minho enrolled in a film major and got casted to be the model for their college magazine and later consistently got offers for modelling. However, his photo-shoot schedule was the main reason why he hadn’t been graduated until now. Even if he wasn’t a big model yet, he managed to earn himself some jobs here and there to keep him busy. He wondered how he had missed his friend’s face when he had gotten himself some featuring on public magazines but then his lack of interest to keep himself updated with what was going on in the world answered the question.

“Cool,” Jinki simply commented. “Did you come to his shooting set?”

“No, never.”

“You should come, you know, especially when he works with pretty girls.” Jinki said his teasing tone was apparent.

“You’re far prettier than all of them,” Minho immediately assured his boyfriend, sending a glare to his hyung for ever mentioning this topic.

“If Minho hyung cheats on me with those models, can I live with you hyung?” Taemin innocently asked, making Jinki burst into laughter.

“Sure, Taeminnie, sure you can live with us.” He said; amused with how silly his favourite friend could be sometimes. “What are you doing now by the way?”

“I teach piano!” Jinki smiled at Taemin’s excitement. “I have students, hyung. I teach five kids on Monday-Friday, one student for each day. That way I can still have plenty of free time.”

“Nice to know you’re doing something you like.” Jinki couldn’t be more proud on Taemin. He knew Taemin loved playing piano and he was very good on it. He could join an orchestra if he wanted. Taemin was just that talented and Jinki would be sad if it ever got wasted.

“You’ve heard about us now it’s your turn to tell us about you, hyung.” Minho spoke up. From his voice alone, Jinki could tell that Minho had been holding up and he couldn’t avoid this anymore.

“I’m working in a small company, doing clerical stuff while raising my baby boy.” Jinki smiled at the mention of his son. He prayed to God that would satisfy the others but he knew they would demand more.

“Is he really your son? I mean –“

“Don’t you think we look alike?”

“He does look like you, hyung. A lot like you.” Minho sighed, couldn’t believe the fact that his hyung who had gone for four years already had a child.

“His eyes do not look like Jinki hyung and I hate that. I don’t like him.” Taemin blurted and that surprised the hyungs. Minho quickly elbowed Taemin and gave him a questioning look when the younger turned to see him.

“What are you saying, Taeminnie? He looks like a lovely child, I’m sure you’re going to fall in love with him after spending more time with him.” Minho tried to cover Taemin’s rude comment but Jinki only smiled and patted Taemin’s head as if he understood why he behaved like that. Jinki didn’t mind it, really. Taemin was known for giving weird, creepy comment but Jinki knew it wasn’t it. Taemin wasn’t an odd, he read people and his accuracy scared Jinki sometimes. So Jinki concluded, Taemin knew.

“Isn’t it a good thing that he doesn’t have my eyes? Hyung has small eyes, Taemin-ah.”

“He must get it from his mother.” Minho commented. “I never know you have someone you like. Mind telling us?”

“I don’t want to hear about that.” Taemin, once again, took the hyungs by surprise. Minho started to get frustrated with the way his boyfriend behaved so he gave up and let the younger steer the conversation.

“Alright, what do you want to hear from hyung, Taemin-ah?” Minho inquired, holding in his irritation.

“Why you just left us that day, hyung? Why you never told us anything? Why do you live here?”

“I was having a hard time. I thought it would be better if I went to some places where I could think of everything more clearly and I was right.” Jinki smiled. “It was something I should solved by myself. But once everything was settled, I didn’t know how to reach to you again. How I suppose to explain it all when at the same time I do not want you to know? For the last question, so I was looking for a place to stay and I found this place and here I am.”

“Why you don’t want us to know?” Taemin raised his voice, practically snapping at Jinki this time.

“It’s the best for you to not know.”

Taemin rolled his eyes on the lie. Minho had had enough with Taemin’s sudden discourtesy. He knew his boyfriend had mood swing sometimes but he did not know his boyfriend could go from a crying mess to an overexcited kid and then to a rude little brother in front of Jinki hyung, the hyung they hadn’t seen in four years, in matter of minutes. Didn’t want this to go overboard, he suggested them to go out and have some lunch together, believing that Taemin’s odd behavior was due to his empty stomach. So they all went down and walked around the neighborhood to see if they could find a good place to eat.

“You could move to some better place hyung, why staying here?” Minho wondered.

“This is what I can afford. My job doesn’t pay much.” Jinki chose to come clean with his current state.

“Then quit your job and find a new one with good paycheck, hyung.”

“There is a limited job for high school graduates, Minho. I’m grateful enough with my current job.”

“You didn’t continue your study?” Minho stopped on his track and looked at the older.

“Nah, when your job doesn’t pay well and you have a kid to take care, you’ll think twice about going on college.”

“You can move in with us.” Taemin spoke up for the first time after they left Jinki’s apartment. “like the old days.”

“He is right.” Minho agreed. But Jinki shook his head, convincing his friends that he was doing fine in this neighborhood and thanked them for the offer.

They didn’t want to push Jinki so they didn’t say anything and continued walking. They stopped at a Chinese restaurant and decided to have their lunch there. Once they picked a seat and scanned the menu, Minho excused himself to the toilet. Jinki used this chance to talk to Taemin.

“You know it, don’t you?”

Taemin thought for a moment before realising what his hyung was trying to say. He nodded his head.

“Promise me you won’t tell Minho. You know it wouldn’t end up well if he knows.”

“He will find out eventually.”

“He will, but not now, not from you. If the time comes, let me tell him myself.”

“That comes with a good price.”

Jinki looked up from the menu, finding Taemin still had his head down. He wished he misheard it. Taemin had never let him down before.

“I won’t tell him, but the next time I say move in with us, then you’re moving in with us for real.”

“If that’s what it takes for you to keep quiet, I'll do that.”


Hi :D