living in a love song

living in a love song

living in a love song.

 

two hearts on the getaway,

feels just like yesterday,

young love on the freeway,

singing louder than ever.

 

 

Kyungsoo woke up before the alarm clock – as he always does every morning. Everyone is convinced that he was just a morning person. But he was just in for the pleasure of watching Jongin’s sleeping face – his soft breaths, the way his lashes brush on his cheeks and the fluttering of his eyelids as he dreamt away. But yeah, let’s go with morning person.

 

He has his head propped up on his left hand as he lay on his side, eyes mapping every single feature of his lover’s face. He was beautiful and Kyungsoo doesn’t know how to illustrate the image into sentences. He could write a book about Jongin’s beauty and it still would not be enough.

 

Kyungsoo was so goddamn crazy about him.

 

A sharp intake of air from Jongin signaled Kyungsoo that the younger was waking up. His mouth opened before his eyes do in a massive yawn while his limbs stretched out as far as they possibly can without detaching themselves. He turned his head towards Kyungsoo as his eyes opened and blinked lazily, lips forming a small smile as if his entire body was still weighed down by sleep and he wasn’t exactly fighting.

 

“Good morning,” said Kyungsoo as softly as he could muster, not wanting to break the peaceful still of the morning air. His left hand reached for the younger’s soft brown locks and he kept raking his fingers through them, gently massaging Jongin’s scalp making him close his eyes yet again.

 

Jongin’s whine broke through their bubble of silence when Kyungsoo removed his hand from the younger’s hair.

 

“Why’d you stop?” he said voice thick with sleep and lips forming a small pout which prompted Kyungsoo to neglect his self-restraint and dipped down to give Jongin a soft peck. His chest swelled when he felt Jongin’s smile molding against his own. Wow he was in love.

 

A creak from the door caught their attention and Minseok ran towards their bed, reaching up towards Kyungsoo signaling his father to pick him up. He has his stuffed bunny against his chest as he crawled next to Jongin’s now closed eyes.

 

“Daddy?” he said trying to capture his attention, though not getting any sort of response which made the three year old climb on Jongin’s torso. He bounced while chanting “Daddy, wake up” like it was a mantra. It worked somehow.

 

Minseok proceeded to chatter with his father about his plans for when they reach the park later that day. Jongin had his full attention to the toddler, correcting mispronounced words as he listened with interest. Kyungsoo’s heart swelled with affection and undeniable love towards the two.

 

..

 

It was a nice day in spring. The birds were chirping and the flowers were in bloom giving a burst of color to the otherwise dull park. The temperature was just nice and Minseok was laughing happily as he and Jongin played with Monggu. Kyungsoo sat under a tree, content with watching his boys play around the field.

 

Jongin adored the little bundle of happiness – swore up and down the moment Minseok was conceived that he would dedicate his life to the well being of their child. A distant memory popped in his mind and crept into the vaults in his heart which brought a warm smile to his face.

 

It’s been almost a decade that he's known Jongin but it was still fresh in his mind, stored safely in the forefront of his memories, his favorite parts of life – the kind of memories you’d want to always get reminded of just so you wouldn’t miss a single detail. Like the day he first talked to Jongin or the day he found out that he was pregnant or the day he held Minseok in his arms for the first time.

 

Or the day Jongin decided that they should get married. That was his most treasured memory.

 

..

 

Kyungsoo’s attention was diverted to his cell phone when he heard the ding indicating an incoming message. Closing the book he was reading, he unlocked his phone to find a message from Jongin staring back at him.

 

From: Nini <3

Hyung I’m bored :( Go on a ride with me?

 

From: Kyungsoo

It’s almost midnight Jongin, you should be sleeping.

 

From: Nini <3

But I’m already at your door :(

 

Kyungsoo opened his front door to find a pouting Jongin standing before him, batting his eyelashes in an attempt to make the elder agree to his request. He looked ridiculous and Kyungsoo laughed hysterically at his stupid face which made Jongin’s pout grow.

 

“Yah! Why are you laughing?!” he said as he tackled Kyungsoo in his arms, fingers tickling the elder’s sides fueling his laughter as he tried to pry Jongin’s arms off of his torso. Jongin stopped tickling but he tightened his embrace and nuzzled his face at the back of Kyungsoo’s shoulders exhaling contently when he felt Kyungsoo leaning into the safe confines of his arms.

 

“Come on, baby, please? Just this once,” Jongin tried again. His muffled voice sent shivers down Kyungsoo’s spine. He loved it when Jongin calls him baby and the prick knows when and how to use it well. This is one of those moments. He knew Kyungsoo was giving in.

 

“Fine, but not too long, okay?”

 

“You’re the best, hyung. You’re gonna enjoy this, I promise,” he answered with a sloppy kiss to his cheek.

 

Kyungsoo would never admit it, but he did enjoy the drive. He loved the feeling of fast wind streaming through the strands of his hair and through the gaps between his fingers and he loved how the bass from the stereo moved in sync with the beat of his heart. He especially loved the view of Jongin in the driver’s seat – hair swept in random directions but still manage to look exceptionally good on him, head bobbing to the song playing on the radio, strong hands gripping the steering wheel and the easy smile plastered on his unparalleled features – he was beyond alluring.

 

They stopped where the road ended on a dirt path miles away from civilization, away from the intrusion of overly bright lights that bled through the sky obscuring men’s view of nature’s true beauty.

 

Jongin leaned on the door of the front seat as he looked at Kyungsoo’s awestruck face. The man didn’t realize just how beautiful he really is. Slowly, he reached for Kyungsoo’s left hand. The gesture made Kyungsoo turn to face him, eyes questioning and filled with curiosity. Jongin, however, just continued his hold on the elder’s hand, eyes not meeting the big round ones he has grown fond of.

 

Taking a large gulp of air, Jongin willed his eyes to level with the elder’s.

 

“Whatever you want to say, say it after I finished talking. Don’t interrupt because I don’t think I can do this the second time.”

 

Upon Kyungsoo’s nod, Jongin took his other hand and pulled him closer to his body. His heart was on the brink of challenging the speed of light.

 

“I’m not good with words and I tried to memorize a script but just looking at you wiped every single word I had prepared so forgive me if it sounds creepy or weird that it makes you want to run away. You’re the most incredible person I have ever come to know and you’re so beautiful it hurts every time I see you get close with anybody else that isn’t me. I get jealous because I know you can easily get someone better than me and I’m scared that you’ll leave me. I don’t even know why you’re still here and for that I am forever thankful.”

 

Dear God he was shaking so bad it was getting hard to speak, as though his entire being is being frozen bit by agonizing bit. Kyungsoo didn’t interrupt him though, just like he had requested. Another shaky gulp of air served as fuel for the next part of his speech.

 

“Kyungsoo, I love you – no, scratch that – I am in love with you. After all these years, I think it’s more than fitting to say that I cannot imagine life without you by my side.”

 

He pressed Kyungsoo’s palm against his chest where his heart was begging to burst out. “You feel that? That’s what you do to me every time you’re near. I want to feel that every day from the moment I open my eyes. I want to spend eternity with you. I want to marry you.”

 

Kyungsoo was at loss for words as he stared at the taller male with tears b his eyes threatening to fall down the moment he blinks. He wanted to tell Jongin that he too was inexorably in love with him, that he couldn’t imagine life without him either. He wanted to shout yes so loud that the whole world knows how deeply he loved the man in front of him. But he couldn’t find his voice. So he opted for showing Jongin instead.

 

He released his hands from the warm grips of Jongin’s hands and replaced them on the sides of the younger’s face to pull him down to the level of his own lips. He tried to put every single emotion into the passionate kiss hoping Jongin would feel all of the things he couldn’t put into words. They only pulled apart when air became of the most importance. Jongin leaned down to put a chaste kiss upon Kyungsoo’s now red lips before plastering their foreheads together both men trying to even their breaths.

 

“So I take that as a yes?” Jongin said hesitantly after a moment of silence.

 

“Shh… don’t ruin it,” Kyungsoo answered eyes still closed with a very content smile mirroring Jongin’s.

 

 

“Appa come play!”

 

Minseok’s high pitched voice pulled him out of his reverie. Looking ahead, he saw Jongin lying on his back and Minseok sprawled on top of him laughing like there was nothing wrong in the world. He walked to them and laughed at his husband’s pained expression.

 

“Ah, Appa help me. Minseokie’s got me down,” Jongin whined just as Monggu decided to claim a spot on his master’s face. Kyungsoo laughed harder, landing on his next to Jongin’s sprawled form. What he didn’t expect though, was his husband and son teaming up against him.

 

“Minseokie, get Appa now!” Kyungsoo was trapped in a tickle attack, squirming and laughing like a maniac, not caring about the weird looks people sent in their direction. He didn’t care about anything, truth be told, as long as he has his family by his side nothing else matters more.

 

This was what keeps him going despite all the bad times he’s gone through. The thought of coming home to the embrace of his loved ones fueled his will to keep on going. Kyungsoo might not have it all but he has a husband who never fails to make sure he knows how much he is loved each and every day and he has a cute little toddler whose laughs can wipe away all of his troubles. And that was worth much more than all of the world’s riches combined.

 

Kyungsoo was happy and that was more than enough.