Bold stranger

Pizza Lovers

 I walked up to the chain restaurant which I visit every now and then, their deep dish was just absolutely delectable and I couldn't resist. Pizza has always been my favorite food, you can say it's almost an unhealthy obsession but I try to limit myself these days. Tonight, I decided I was going to treat myself to something special after such a long day at work, something I know I'll enjoy despite having no one to share my bliss with. It was alright though, I was used to it. I was used to eating alone, shopping alone, doing most things alone; You can say I'm accustomed to it, it's second nature at this point. 

 My fingers reached out to pull on the door's handle when a man with black shades and dirty blond hair had somehow gotten his hand onto the handle before me. It was an awkward moment of silence as I retracted my touch and apologized. 

"oops...sorry" I whispered before turning my face and walking in before him. As I turned back around I caught a silent smile on his face and my cheeks flushed a soft pinkish tone. How did I not see him? 

I walked up to the counter, still slightly flustered, and gave them my name.

"It's under _____" 

"Here's your order ma'am, enjoy!" The young employee behind the counter beamed as she handed me my box.

"Thank you..." I took a handful of red pepper packets and quickly bolted out the door, trying to avoid further eye contact with that stranger that was still behind me. 

I rushed into my car and opened the box to make sure my order was right. 

My facial expression dimmed. Ugh...damn it...

I sighed and smacked the lid down. This is NOT WHAT I ORDERED. WHO THE HELL PUTS PINEAPPLE ON A PIZZA. WHAT KIND OF ABOMINATION...now I have to wait until that dude leaves, ugh...

*knock knock* "Excuse me...miss...I think they switched our orders!"

I jumped in shock at the sudden intrusion on my thankfully silent rant and slowly lifted my head up. Oh oh , it's that guy from earlier...

"I'm sorry, did I scare you?" He took off his shades, revealing a stunning set of radiant chocolate-brown eyes. 

"Just a little..." I whispered, probably not even loud enough for him to hear me. I tilted my head downwards and unlocked my door as my cheeks heated up once again. I glanced at him as warning before pushing out my door. "Your pizza..." I balanced the box with one hand above my lap as my other hand was still holding onto the car door. He was smiling again, I wondered if my embarrassment was that obvious and if he was internally laughing at me or if he felt just as awkward as I did....

"You're very pretty..." He said softly as he leaned down and took the pizza box out of my hand. 

Wait what? Did he just say...? I did a bit of a mental double take before a look of confusion wiped my face. I refused to look up at him but I could hear a soft chuckle coming from his throat. 

"thanks...um..." I didn't really know what to say, normally I would be creeped out and speed off but for some reason that seemingly random compliment didn't come off like that. "you're pretty too..." what the heck did I just say... My mind just went on autopilot, I almost always return compliments and I just wasn't thinking WHY DID I CALL HIM PRETTY WHY. I instinctively turned my head to the side so he couldn't see my face. I'm so stupid, what the heck is wrong with me 

"Wow thank you! No one's called me pretty before!" The sound of his laughter filled my ears and I just wanted to bury myself underground. "Do you have a boyfriend?" He was so straightforward, it was almost shocking. I had to take a second to think about my answer....Should I lie or....

"Yea....no...I don't..." I answered quietly, still avoiding eye contact. 

"Do you maybe want to eat together?...like a pizza-lover's date...heh." I could see the genuine grin on his face through the opposite window. Damn, he's so cute....is he serious?

"Umm..." I really wanted to say yes but I knew this could be a bad idea. I knew I should just say no and drive home alone....but part of me was so tired of being alone...and when was the next time a guy this handsome was gong to come knocking on my door? well car door....You know what, I'm just going to do it "Sure..."

"Really? I didn't think you would say yes to be honest, wow....um, do you want to come to my house?" 

"You're house?" Oh god, this is sounding a bit dangerous why did I say yes, damn it! I knew looks were deceiving... 

"Or we can just eat inside or in your car if you're more comfortable with that!" 

I could feel my heart about to jump out my chest, I had to take a moment to think. 

"I guess...I guess we can eat in here. Yea..." I really hope I don't regreat this...I could feel my chest tighten up as he walked around the car and hopped into the seat next to me. 

"Your name was _____, right?" The question caught me off guard. How did he know me name...what the heck?

"Yeah...what was your name...?" 

"Oh, I just heard you say it to the pizza girl earlier. Sorry if that seems weird that I remembered it...and my name's Kevin!" He put out his hand for me to shake, I noticed how long and slender his fingers were. His hands are really warm.... 

"Nice to meet you, Kevin..." His hand latched onto mine for a second or two longer then it should have but I almost didn't mind. "How old are you?" I tried my best to keep the possibility of awkward silence at bay. 

"I'm 23. How about you...if you want to say your age...but you don't have to since I know some women don't like saying their ages..." 

"I'm __." I opened the pizza box in front of me and tore off a slice. I could feel myself begin to loosen up a bit as we got to know eachother. He mimicked me and tore off a slice from his pizza as well.