Fight For Your Vision

Fight For Your Vision

 

Taemin's POV Perspective

I'm blind. Well, not completely I'm considered legally blind though. I have some vision and my glasses are insanely thick, and life was average. Until my latest doctor appointment. My doctor broke some horrible news to me. I had always thought that the disease in my eyes would just stay the way it was- never changing, never growing. Today, my doctor told me that it was indeed worsening and that I have at most a year of vision left.

I went home disappointed and when I was hit with anger I couldn't help myself as I threw everything- probably the worst idea I ever had. I broke my glasses. The only thing allowing me to see something more than a smear of colors- broken. The arms were bent and the glass was shattered. I was given a year, and I turned it into an hour. My family has nowhere near enough money to purchase a new pair, and why bother when they would only be able to be used for a year. A year until all I ever saw again was black.

This was my day to make mistakes though, so I made my second mistake. I ran. I ran from my house, my parents, my brother. I ran until I was out of breath and I felt grass beneath me as I threw myself onto the ground. I released a laugh- I drew the end to my own sad tale. I made myself blind. I closed my eyes so I could no longer see the happy blues and greens that made up my vision, why should I mind them when they would be gone to?

Someone decided that this would be the best time to interrupt the pathetic being laying on the grass in the middle of who-knows-where.

"Hey, are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." They were quiet, did they decide to leave? That's fine. Everything is bound to leave me.

"If you're fine, why are you laying in the middle of the park just a few feet away from the evil goose?"

"What?" The evil goose. I heard about that. There were stories all over the place about a goose that attacked anyone who came too close to his home. My eyes shot open- I still couldn't see the stranger in front of me. I sat up and looked around until I saw a white smear- the goose?

"Come on, let's get out of here before the goose determines that it's time to attack." I could hear the smile in the voice- but I still couldn't see it. The knowledge of my rushed blindness hit me again and I silently nodded. The stranger helped me to stand and took my hand in his and led me away from the place I had ran to. Eventually he stopped and made me sit down on what felt like a bench. I heard the bench creak a bit under additional weight.

"I'm Choi Minho." I heard the deep voice again.

"Lee Taemin." I nodded.

He started talking about light topics and I felt myself beginning to open up to Minho. After a while he noticed the time- it was about 6:30 in the evening.

"We should get going, Taemin. Where do you live?" I gave him my address, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, we've lived there my entire life."

"Alright then. I'll give you a ride home." I thought about turning him down, but I wasn't in the best situation to do so. I followed Minho to his car and he helped me inside.

The ride home seemed to take a lot longer than I thought it would be. "Minho, how long until we reach my house?"

"Taemin, I wanted to tell you sooner, your house is still another half hour away by car."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." He repeated my address back to me "I live only about two streets away from you, I should know."

"Oh. I don't know you though."

He laughed, "I wouldn't expect you to, going by what you told me earlier I'm two years older than you and I didn't really hang out with anyone who lived near me. My friends from school stayed at that and I never had a relationship outside of that."

"Oh. Then, Minho-hyung, shouldn't you be in college?"

"I was. I came back home earlier this year to get a job and help with expenses. My sister was sent to America for a surgery."

"Surgery?"

"Yeah, for her eyes."

The rest of the ride went by quickly after that and I didn't even have time to think about my own blindness. I just closed my eyes and focused on the conversation. Minho dropped me off at my house with the promise to come by tomorrow and hang out.

We continued hanging out almost everyday for the next month and a half. Until one day Minho's voice sounded strange- maybe nervous?

"Taemin. If I could give you the ability to see, even just a little bit, would you continue to stay friends with me or would we grow apart?"

His question took me by surprise. "I would have no reason to stop being friends with you, Minho-hyung. The only thing I want to see right now is what you look like. You are the first person who talked to me willingly, and I would love to see you." I smiled.

I heard him sigh. "Tae, close your eyes." I did as he asked, and I felt a familiar pressure land on the bridge of my nose and the top of my ears- glasses?

I opened my eyes and looked at the dark eyes in front of me. "Minho-hyung? These glasses..." I touched the frames that he had placed there.

"They were my sisters. She had that surgery in America and she can see again. You went to the same school as her, Choi Sulli."

"No way! Your sister was my only friend?"

"And you were hers. She always spoke of you, it was like I knew you myself. That day when we first met, as soon as you said your name I knew you were the same person. Taemin, do you want to see again?"

"I can't Minho-hyung. This is it for me." I took the glasses off and closed my eyes. "If I could lose my vision now, I think I would still be happy, Minho-hyung."

"What? How? Why? Minnie?"

"Minho-hyung. You have made me really happy in the past month. You don't even know. When you met me, I was at a really low point. I felt sorry for myself because I wouldn't be able to see anything soon. I gave up hope on ever seeing again that day. Yet, you decided to befriend me, and you were persistent to. You befriended me without any limitations. You made me want to see one more thing before I lost my vision completely- and that was you." I felt his hand come to my cheek and rest there ever so gently.

"Minnie, please don't give up just yet. There is so much more to see in this world. It may not all be beautiful, but how will you know if you don't try?" He took the glasses from my hands and put them on my face again. I opened my eyes.

"Why would I want to see anything the world has to offer when I can just feel."

"Feel?"

"Minho-hyung... I'm afraid. Not of losing my sight- I know now that sight loss is bound to happen. I'm afraid of losing you. Over these past weeks the times we spent together were so beautiful and I didn't have to see that- I felt it. I also felt something growing within me during that time. Please don't hate me for this, hyung, I started to like you more than I should. I know it's wrong and that I shouldn't feel this way but-" Minho cut me off. He simply placed his lips over mine and it felt like all was right in the world. I closed my eyes because I didn't need to see to understand this. I could simply feel and completely understand what was happening.


I fell for Minho-hyung.
 

"And I fell for you." His deep voice hit my ears and I opened my eyes.
 

"Did I-?"
 

"Yes, you said it out loud. You fell for me, and I fell for you. Please, Minnie, fight for your vision?"
 

I looked into his eyes and saw the sincerity there and simply nodded my head. I would fight. Not for me, but for us.
 

~*~*~
 

*Several Years Later*

I looked at Minho-hyung and he smiled. After the surgery I could see again. My vision wasn't perfect so I had to wear glasses still- but they were much thinner lenses than my old ones. We just came to pick up my newest pair and this made us both happy. I could see again and I didn't have to worry about what would happen to me anymore. I had Minho, and I had his love. During my darkest moment he found me, and my brightest moment came when I found his love. The day the bandages were removed and I could see again, we both faced the future with smiles on our faces.
 

Not only had we found each other. We found the most beautiful thing a person could ever find- love.