BONUS: What if...

Don't Say Goodbye

What if...

 

AN/ This story has nothing to do with "Don't Say Goodbye" despite handling the same topic. "What if..." is kind of an alternative event to DSGB.

Soundtrack:

DBSK - Heart, Mind and Soul

Video:

Trans and Karaoke by s3adolphinJP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uH5coYNFbs

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

The two men visibly tried to even out their breathing, having finished their 25th song that evening – half of the list made of up-beat or dance songs with more or less difficult choreographies, which were exhausting their bodies now more than before.

The taller one of the two grabbed a bottle of water, drowning its content in one shot, while the older one motioned for towels to be handed to the two singers. Both of them seemed to be unaware of the thousands of people and hundreds of cameras focused on them. Every move was followed by more than 110.000 pairs of eyes, hungry for every glimpse of skin or toned muscles, but mostly eager to finally hear the artists speak up for what would probably be the last time that night.

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

Changmin casually disposed of his water bottle before carding a hand through his thick brown hair. He took a look around, absorbing the immense passion and power of more than 110.000 BigEast member, crammed together neatly in the Nissan Stadium in Yokohama, Japan.

It was their last day here, and the last stop of their Asia Tour – the fans especially frantic about getting hold of a ticket and the chance to see the Rising Gods of the East live and in person.

The youngest chuckled lightly at the determination of his fans, his head microphone immediately catching the vibrating sound for the fans to hear and acknowledge with a new wave of screams.

 

Yunho could feel how his body was slowly reacting accordingly to his advanced age – the 32 year old shortly hiding himself behind a towel to catch his breath. The leader was not in a bad shape at all, his muscles still prominent, his face more masculine than ever, but 15 years of dancing and barely enough sleep had proven to be quite the challenge for his body. But the leader of Tohoshinki loved what he did and he did it with pride, the sleepiness of his bones easily forgotten when he took a look around the concert venue too, absorbing the love and adoration like a sponge. Yunho lived for these moments, and he knew that Changmin loved them too. He heard the youngest snicker before he could see it, their head microphones carrying every little sound through the huge arena, making it impossible to be discrete. Yunho couldn't hide his own smile, throwing aside his towel and making his way towards his younger friend and brother, placing his left hand on the youngest shoulder while the other merely blinked at the gesture of affection.

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

Yunho adjusted his microphone one last time before addressing the audience directly:

“Hai (はい)....Well, that was some intense dancing, wasn't it? *laughs* I'm still kinda out of breath...Changmin-san, we're not getting any younger, are we? *laughs again*

So this was our song “Fated”, how did you like it? *approving screams from the audience* Ah, I see, you did like it! Thank you very much! We would like to thank you all for being with us today, it was really fun!”

The duo bowed in all directions, almost drowning in the screams of the fans. Changmin was the one to continue speaking:

“There is one last song to sing before this tour ends here. We would like to sincerely thank you all for coming! Thank you for making this an awesome experience for us!”

Another round of bowing from the artists - another round of screams and shouts from the audience, demanding much more than one last song from the duo. The youngest of the two continued with a grin: “Ahh~~ you can scream all you want. You're not getting any more.” The rest of his sentence was followed by laughter and a few puzzled looks as the singer introduced the last song of the evening by not introducing it: “Thank you all for being with us for the past 15 years! And thank you for waiting for us when we were in the army. Now...for the last song of this evening...we chose a ballad we haven't sung together for a long time.”

 

And with that, Changmin retreated backstage while the fans were literally left in the dark, most of them still mulling over the strange wording. But everything out of the ordinary was soon forgotten as Yunho took the stage again and started singing. His voice began low and almost frail as the first lines of “Heart, Mind and Soul” left his lips.

 

Furui eiga no you na koi ga dekitara ii na
Sou itte terete wa warau kimi
Itsumo no boku to kitara shabette bakari dakedo
Sou, demo ne kon'ya wa tokubetsu sa”

 

The singer held the last note far longer this time, giving the lyrics a longing, almost desperate feeling.

But, isn’t today special? ♪

 

And special it was, as 110.000 people were virtually blown off their seats when not Changmin's but the voice of another man picked up the song. They had listened to those voices together only on CD or old videos for the past eight years, a lot of them losing hope to ever hear them harmonize again.

But here he was. His voice as soothing and strong as it had sounded in 2009 when he had last sung this song together with his bandmates, his friends, his brother. When everything had been all right.

 

Oh why... Kokoro wa mata karamawari kanjite
My heart, mind and soul
Oh why... Sonna ni sunda hitomi de boku wo miru no?
Nani mo ienaku naru yo“

 

I’m unable to speak

 

And unable to speak they were. There were no screams as every sound had died the moment Kim Jaejoong had stepped on stage to continue the song. The normally politely silent Japanese fans were completely paralysed.

Unbelievable.

Shocking.

Heartbreaking.

With mouths wide open and tears flowing down endlessly many cheeks, thousands of emotionally loaded fans watched on as a second person joined Jaejoong on the stage soon after.

 

Furui eiga no you na serifu wa ienai kedo
Sou, demo ne kon'ya wa tokubetsu sa?”


But, isn’t today still special? ♪
 

And while the (former?) lead-singer of Tohoshinki continued the ballad, Park Yoochun looked into the cameras for the first time, his face reflecting a turmoil of emotions. And like old times, the singer-turned-actor was crying.

 

Oh why... Kotoba wa mata toomawari todokete
My true love to you
Oh why... Sonna ni nureta hitomi de boku wo miru no?
Nani wo omotte iru no”

 

I’m unable to think

 

And unable to think they were, as every coherent thought had said goodbye.

Changmin eventually joined his older brothers too, delivering his part as strong and confident as ever.

 

Donna koi mo owari ga kuru to iu kedo
Futari no kizuna wa kono mama kienai
Don't ask me why
(Don't ask me why?) Why? (Why?) Why? (Why?) Why”


♪ But our destiny will not fade away ♪

 

Oh why... Kokoro wa mata karamawari kanjite
My heart, mind and soul
Oh why... Kon'ya wa boku ga mahou wo kakete ageru”

 

♪ I will make tonight magical

 

And magical it felt when the wonderful voice of Kim Junsu brought the song to an end. The fans felt out of place, like they were interrupting a really beautiful, but also intimate reunion between two shy lovers, who had not seen each other for a decade. The scope of the whole event just wasn't comprehensible even for the most devoted among them.

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

The media and the fans had sat through countless of press conferences for this tour – the reporters having focused on the scale, the fans having focused on the pictures of Yunho and Changmin in tailored suits. And there hadn't been a single word to hint at this large surprise; not even a twitch of an eyelid.

But both, the media and the fans, felt far from being cheated or played with – the first more than just happy with the headlines they now had for at least a month, the latter mentally too unstable to comprehend what had happened.

 

♪ Each time you blink
I will make a wish come true ♪

 

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

~~~ ::: ~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AN/ I always lose focus towards the end~~ :< But ain't it pretty? :3 This somehow turned out to be a song-fic, didn't it? I originally chose "Heart, Mind and Soul" beause Yunho starts to sing and not Jaejoong or Junsu (otherwise it had totally ruined the surprise if one of the two had started singing, right?), but when I looked up the English lyrics I was all like 'WTF?! Why do they fit so well??!!'

I'm kinda proud of myself as I wrote this in one day.

Do you hate me now? I was crying too! Still am.

Well, haters gonna hate anyway~~ xD

I came to one important conclusion while thinking about WI and DSGB: I'm probably never going to write about the boys talking about their reunion.....Why? Because I just don't know! Every damn scenario I thought of seemed totally pointless and lame after I wrote it down...so, I'm gonna leave all the talking to Yunho when the time has come~ :D Pretty smart, eh? XD

So you won't see any backstage footage of DSGB in a bonus chapter, sorry not sorry

 

Thanks for reading!!! <3

(Best gif EVER!!! Dedicated to my lovely friend Emma ;))

 

 

Oh, and a Happy New Year to you all!

NO COPYRIGHT INFRIDGEMENT INTENDED!