Beautiful Mess

Beautiful Mess

Working in a big supermarket that doesn’t sell a lot, since everyone else had chosen to go shopping at the other mall a few miles away from where Kyuhyun is standing, isn’t much of a catch. Come on, if you were Kyuhyun you would probably threw your name plate that says 'Hi! I’m Kyuhyun. My mission—your satisfaction!' away and look for another job—again, if you are Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun works as a cashier at Lee Donghae’s big, big supermarket. Basically, Donghae is his boss yet he acts so dense and weird that thoughts would rummage inside his head and it makes Kyuhyun feel uncomfortable, at times.

So he sighs as he steps inside the supermarket and went straight towards the employee’s room and went to change into his white collared polo uniform. He set his bag inside his locker and went to his spot as he waited for customers to come by and if luck was on his side buy something even if would count as out of pity.

“Good Morning,” Donghae chirped as he bounced behind the lanky man and grinned widely. “Eunhyuk’s not here yet?”

Kyuhyun threw him a look and sighed, “No he hasn’t arrived yet, and I am the first one who got here.”

Donghae bounced and flashed another blinding grin and patted Kyuhyun’s head. He had to tiptoed way, way up because he’s too small for the other man. Kyuhyun looked at him annoyed but he could care less, he was his boss. Donghae pays for him.

So he let out another sigh and waited for time to pass by so quickly. Eunhyuk arrived, two minutes late. Donghae and he started talking inside their own world. They work as crew and fix everything in order and Kyuhyun was stuck right in front of the cash register staring blankly at the high pile of tissue papers right in front of him.

“Excuse me,” a voice interrupted his thoughts and he averted his gaze. He looked at the man right next to him. The man was smaller than him and looked younger. He had black soft hair, puffed cheeky bones, shy grin on his face and he sure look fragile. But Kyuhyun took it as one of his best assets. He sure is cute—no he is pretty for a man.

“I was wondering where the cold meat section is?” the man asked and Kyuhyun can’t help but just stare. He was wearing a buttoned up blue shirt with a white vest on top and neatly ironed pants. The man kept on staring on him too, wanting to know where he could grab some cold cuts; well, he is a bit in a hurry.

Kyuhyun shook his head when he heard the latter let out a cough and tried his utterly best where the cold section is. So he think and he thought of well. And when he was about to open his mouth to stutter out aisle 7, at the left most part, the man was already walking away from him and looked for the meat cuts, himself.

Kyuhyun felt a bit embarrassed when the man came back carrying a basket of ribs and loin meat. He can’t even look straight to his eyes and he sure felt that the whole ground is eating him up. When he had checked and counted all the packages, he went to grab a big paper bag and placed all of the packs of meat in it.

“That’ll be 2,500 won, sir.” He said feeling a bit sweaty and he had laughed inside him, why would he feel so embarrassed and shy right in front of this man he barely known. He sighed, that he didn’t know.

The man took his wallet and grabs some cash before handing it to Kyuhyun. He flashed a half smile and carried the paper bag with his frail arms and walked away. Kyuhyun wanted to offer him help, carry the bag perhaps or open the door for him. He sighed when an old woman came next and started placing the cans of thin tomato soup on the counter.

+

“Good Afternoon sir,” he smiled, as to what Eunhyuk and Donghae had instructed him to do. He flashed the content of the push cart under the laser beep and placed them in a paper bag after. “That’ll be 750 won and 45 cents.”

“Here, keep the change.” His customer said as he walked away and Kyuhyun bowed and muffled out a, “Thank you, please come back again.”

Donghae, approached him and gave him a light pat on his back. “Kyuhyunnie,” the older man said and Kyuhyun wanted to roll his eyes dramatically.

“We were asked to promote Purple Juice, so I’ll stack some bottles right here, be sure to sell them.” He sang song and trailed back to the toiletries’ section where Eunhyuk was busy sorting brand A from brand V of bath soaps.

“Since when did I become a salesman?” he cursed under his breath and he suddenly hitched when he saw the same man who was asking him about the meat section the last time. Kyuhyun flashed a fidgety and wide smile as he greets the man with his deep, wonderful voice.

They stood there in silence except the sound created by the cash register and the music playing in the background. He placed them all inside the paper bag and about to tell him how much he had caused when he saw the neat stack of Purple Juice bottles at his side. So maybe this is a good opportunity to start a conversation out of Purple Juice?

“Sir…I, no—we are… well,” he stuttered as he tried his best not to blush furiously right in front of the young man. The man looked at him and leaned closer figuring out what this cashier had wanted to say.

Kyuhyun gulped and looked at him with big round brown orbs, “We want you to try our new product,” he said as he grabbed one bottle and showed it to the man. The man looked at him and at the bottle next. He grinned widely, and nodded at him.

“Oh, okay, give me one of that then,” he looked at the name tag, “Kyuhyun-sshi.”

Kyuhyun smiled; at least he’s in a good pace with this man. Then he grabs his cash and placed it on the counter, Kyuhyun collected them and waited for the receipt to process through. He was smiling widely and his heart started thumping faster inside his chest.

“Here you—” he was too drawn into his thoughts that he didn’t notice the bottle and accidentally bumped it making a loud and messy crash. Good thing he hadn’t hurt or made the man’s clothes dirty because he swore he was in good track a little while ago. So he hurriedly looks at the man’s worried face and slightly felt embarrassed—yet again.

“Ugh, I’m so sorry, ow,” he was panicking that he had cut himself. The man instantly draws near and grabbed his wounded finger and wrapped his handkerchief around it. Kyuhyun tried to hide his blush yet failed.

So he had made a mess out of him, again.

+

It was his night shift and he wondered if he had missed his favorite customer’s presence a lot. Well, he had their exams this week so he had to take shifts. So he stands here again and sighs. It was near their closing time and there wasn’t much crowd so leaned against the counter and wait for the hand struck time.

“Hey,” he literally jumped and looked who had called out his name.

The man laid some tissue papers and bath soaps on the counter. “I didn’t expect to see you, no, I-” Kyuhyun mentally slapped himself. Why the hell does he always stutter right in front of him?

So he just zipped his mouth close and started counting and getting each item’s prices.

“550 won,” he blankly said. He noted himself to just shut up and don’t even bother offering any new products. He had learned. Just shut up Kyuhyun.

“Hey,” the man whispered, “Kyuhyun-sshi?”

“Yes?” he mumbled as he registers in the cash and laid the change.

“How have you been?” he said as he grabbed the paper bag of his things and flashed a warm smile, “I haven’t seen you around, I had always thought you’re in the morning shift but then I guess…”

Kyuhyun’s eyes went wide, so he still drops by? Don’t get him wrong, Kyuhyun, of course he would drop by, he needs to buy things that is related to household—of course. But did he stutter? He sure did and Kyuhyun sort of liked it, he looked cute mumbling incoherent words.

“I was busy?” he more of asked himself. The man smiled shyly and carried the paper bag.

“Well, see you around?” the man asked. Kyuhyun nodded, amused at what he just did and let out a cheeky smile.

The man was still looking at him as if waiting for Kyuhyun to do something but after a couple of seconds he decided to start walking. And when he was about to reach the handlebars, Kyuhyun had rushed quickly to his side and opened the door for him.

At least he had something right this time, Kyuhyun thought as he looked at the man and smiled.

“Here let me help you,” he offered as he looked at the paper bag and lightly reached it out from him. The man allowed him and they walked out of the store and stood by the bus stop.

“I can take it from here, thank you.”

Kyuhyun nodded as he handed back the bag and turned around to get inside. Donghae might get paranoid for him being gone for a while. So he sighed and then felt a bit tensed, again. He shook his head and heard the bus arrived. He was feeling weird. When he glanced back he saw the man already climbing inside he didn’t know how but his body started running and stopped the man even before he can fully went inside.

The man looked at him, shocked, “Kyuhyun-sshi?”

Kyuhyun scratched the side of his head and let out a low breathe, “Hey, I’ve been thinking,”

He can feel the driver’s death glare on him but he didn’t care. “Will you go out with me?”

He looked at the man with hopeful eyes. The man smiled and grabbed something in his back pocket and handed it to Kyuhyun before tracing a finger over the side of his face and smiled.

“I’m Ryeowook, pick me around 7. I’m free this Saturday.” and Kyuhyun can’t help but nod and let him get inside. He throws the driver one last look before he stepped down and took one last glance to Ryeowook and waved goodbye. 

When he got inside the supermarket, he scanned the paper and realized that Ryeowook has been his neighbor all along. Kyuhyun sure is a mess.