Chapter 18-Halloween PT.1

H-POP

Pairing(s): xiuchennnnnnnnnn

Rating/Notes: PG excluding swearing; Part One of Halloween joys!!


 

With a ring of the bell, Chanyeol jumps out of his seat, hurriedly packing his things away (read: sweeping everything he had on his desk into the mouth of his bag). “So pumped~”

“Shut up people are gonna notice.”

“Right, sorry.” He mumbles quickly, before taking a glance around them at the rapidly emptying classroom. “Which corridor?”

“Transfiguration, you doofus.” Jongdae whacks him around the back of his head.

“Gotcha.” Chanyeol swings his bag over his broad shoulder and starts sort of hopping on the spot in anticipation with a stupidly wide grin on his face, flashing his rich teeth at his friend when Jongdae gives him an unimpressed glare.

And when Jongdae finally heaves his bag on his shoulder, sighing in the second hand embarrassment for his giant friend, Chanyeol enthusiastically hops after him like an overgrown puppy as Jongdae leads the way out of the room and down a level.

Chanyeol, unable to keep any part of him still, continues to mutter, “Oh man oh man oh man this is going to be great.” Chanyeol, as he’s bouncing down the last few stairs, hurriedly checks his bag, with huge eyes. “Okay so I’ve got the dung bombs, and the rope, and the decoys… did you bring that funky potion you were talking about?”

“Yeah, yeah of course, I don’t forget simple stuff unlike someone.”

Chanyeol doesn’t look too offended, instead trying to push ahead of the crowd. “Come ooooon!”

“Slow doooown long legs!”

“Keeeeeeeeep up shorty!!”

Jongdae grumbles a little, his turn to scurry along in Chanyeol’s wake as he uses his massive height to his advantage.

Quickly, Chanyeol side-steps into a quieter corridor. “Great now we can—” at that moment, his eyes find someone just rounding the corner from the stairs to the floor below and drops his voice. “Dammit we’ll have to wai—”

Jongdae, however, straightens up, stepping out of the shadows. “Wait… Baozi?”

Chanyeol stares at his friend with an air of exasperation. “What now??”

Jongdae grins wide, scurrying towards him, not missing Minseok’s mutters, “hey it’s that T-Rex boy.”

“Ayeeee baozi!!!”

“Wha—no—Jong—yah!!!” Chanyeol splutters in alarm, rushing after him in panic.

Minseok stops, blinking up at the dark-haired Ravenclaw. “Oh hey, errrm….” After a few seconds of thoughtful blinking, he ventures, “Jongdae?”

Jongdae’s smile grows impossibly wider, giving him a cheesy thumbs-up. “Ding!” and he turns to point at Minseok. “Minseok!”

Minseok returns his thumbs-up, giving him a smile, neither of them caring or noticing Chanyeol staring down at them in confusion.

“So uh…” Jongdae looks around awkwardly, a hand going to the back of his neck. “How do I look the right way up?”

Minseok stares at him for a little, a little confused. “Ummm you have nice cheekbones?”

Jongdae bursts out laughing, poking around his own face. “I do? Haha you’re cute.”

Minseok blinks at him. “Y-yah don’t downgrade your sunbae like that!”

“Sunbaes can’t be cute?” A devilish smile curls Jongdae’s naturally tilted lips, and Minseok can’t do much but pout.

“It’s the tone in which you say it.”

“How do I say it? Cuuuuuuuute?”

Minseok blushes, muttering, “Stop it.”

Jongdae, however, isn’t one to listen to orders, laughing at him instead.

Chanyeol, looking between them, clears his throat a little unnecessarily loudly, finally garnering Jongdae’s attention.

“Oh you’re still here?” and when Chanyeol gives Jongdae a somewhat pissed look, the shorter only laughs. “You look familiar,” he mocks, observing Chanyeol’s face. “It’s like I’ve seen you somewhere before.”

Chanyeol, poor guy, looks horribly worried. “Jongdae don’t go all loopy on me now, I have no idea how to set this thing up!”

At this, Jongdae rolls his eyes. “We went through it, what, 17 times?”

“Hey, you never told me how to do that stupid spell!”

Minseok glances between the two, blinking in confusion.

Chanyeol opens his mouth to retaliate to whatever Jongdae had snarkily fired at him before he glances down at Minseok, suddenly distracting himself from their scuffle. “Oh hey wait, you’re that kid Jongdae keeps talking abo—”

“WHAT WERE YOU SAYING CHANYEOL?” Jongdae’s on his tip toes, with a small palm clamped firmly over Chanyeol’s face smiling a wide, very shark-ish smile. Chanyeol, being dumb, doesn’t think very far ahead, so he still attempts speech, but everything comes out muffled.

Jongdae turns to smile at Minseok, and this time, he looks more kitten-ish rather than fishy. “Uh…. You have… Transfiguration?” Jongdae attempts, releasing a grumbling Chanyeol, mostly because he was getting tired from tip-toeing.

“Yeah,” the senior nods. “How did you know?”

“Because he’s completely memorised you—”

Jongdae aims an incredibly loud smack to the back of Chanyeol’s head. The giant drops to the floor whimpering, both hands cupping his head, glaring at his short friend.

“Nevermind that,” Jongdae says briskly, prodding his best friend with the tip of his boot. “Come on Yeol, lets clear out. Maybe charms corridor? See another time baozi?”

Chanyeol stumbles to his feet, muttering darkly under his breath, continuing to glare the best his large puppy eyes could. “You just don’t want to do it here because of your stupid…” he catches a look from Jongdae, rubs the back of his head, and decides to shut his mouth in fear of getting hit again.

Jongdae raises both his backwards-slanting brows. “My stupid WHAT?”

“Nothing, nothing! Hahaha haha,” Chanyeol laughs loudly, eyes wide, grabbing his friend by the shoulder. “Come on let’s go pull the bloody prank.”

“Okay, okay,” Jongdae twists back to flash a smile at Minseok. “I’ll see you—”

“Oh come ON!”

Chanyeol pulls Jongdae by his collar, the latter throwing “see you”s over his shoulder, and turns a corner, leaving a very puzzled Minseok waving uncertainly after them.

“Wow you’re really ing obvious,” Chanyeol lets go of his friend’s blue robes.

“Obvious about what?”

“You totally have a crush on him. Seriously, how has he not noticed yet?”

Let’s not forget that poor Chanyeol is kind of in the same situation.

“Bull ing giant,” Jongdae hisses like a cat in a bath, slapping him on the chest.

“This is the one who you keep hanging upside down isn’t it, the one with the, quote-unquote, ‘really soft squishy adorable cheeks’?”

Jongdae rolls his eyes, decidedly ignoring his steadily reddening ears, and starts down the corridor to head to Charms. “Yeah yeah whatever.”

Chanyeol’s large crazy eyes, however, don’t miss anything, and his lips stretch out into another crazy smile, revealing all his teeth, mercilessly striding after his friend and poking him in the ribs. “You should have seen your face when you were looking at him, and the way you kept calling him cute,” he laughs, loud and echoing, the portraits on the walls covering their ears, disgruntled.

“YAH!” Jongdae shouts, equally loudly, before squinting up at his giant. “But honestly what was I like?”

“Completely obvious, but since it’s you you’ve probably confused him because it might just be another prank.” Chanyeol babbles, waving his hands around as he talks, and narrowly missing a random ghost that must’ve come through the wall from an adjacent corridor. He looks at Jongdae thoughtfully, “do you think that’s why Sehunnie won’t notice me?”

Jongdae glares at him. “Took awhile for you to get it in that head of yours,” he mutters, striding along, fuming out of his ears.

His best friend grins wide, running after him. “Okay I’m sorry I teased you about your squishy crush. Come on lets go set this up!”

Jongdae leads the way around the corner and down a flight of stairs, but even though Jongdae skips the bottom step, that still doesn’t stop Chanyeol from stepping right through it, letting out a strangled yelp and falling on his face. Jongdae rolls his eyes, muttering about whether Chanyeol will remember the false steps by the time they graduate.

Jongdae strides into the charms corridor, where he’s pretty sure there’s a class going on, so he whips out his wand and watches uninterestedly as sound barriers weaves themselves into the air around the corridor.

Chanyeol, meanwhile, turns his bag upside down, coils of rope falling out—as well all his notes and parchments crumpled at the bottom of his bag and chewed quills and dusty textbooks (says something about how often Chanyeol uses them) and ink bottles that crack a little more when they hit the ground.

Jongdae pulls a face, but doesn’t bother tidying up after his best friend—when those ink bottles finally break, he’ll let Chanyeol wail about the ink all over his homework essays before he helps him out.

“Okay what do I do?” Chanyeol says, shoving all his parchments and textbooks back into his bag, his quills bending a little more.

“Okay so you have to connect the rope over here, and then tie it up so when the thing is activated it pulls up.”

Chanyeol nods, his head of fiery curls bouncing, scurrying off to set it up.

Jongdae keeps an eye on him whilst twirling his wand in the air, mouthing words under his breath. “Yah Chan if you stuff it up…” he mumbles between spells.

“I won’t don’t worry mate! Jongdae I’m done!” Chanyeol announces loudly. “How much longer do we have until lunch?”

“Half an hour. That should be okay.” Jongdae turns, and his eyebrows disappear under the mess of hair that flops down on his forehead on some days. Today is one of those days. “Huh not bad.”

Chanyeol grins at his work, directing his grin towards Jongdae for a moment.

“We don’t want them to fall on their face though.” Jongdae mutters, finishing up his spells but Chanyeol’s already pulling out a very, very large cushion (or is it a bed mattress) out of his shoulder bag.

“That undetectable extension charm you put on my bag still hasn’t worn off,” he huffs, dragging the mattress underneath the work done so far.

Jongdae’s brows furrow. “How long has it been??”

“Like. Months.”

Jongdae snickers. “Though you could’ve just brought a regular cushion and enlarged it. Where did you get this anyway?”

“Shrieking Shack,” Chanyeol mumbles around a mouthful of rope, dragging around the pile. “Stuff’s still there you know, and the whole ing place was ing moving it was like the house ate me and I was in its stomach.”

Jongdae laughs. “Did you carry this around ever since Hogsmeade? Merlin’s beard, Yeol. What else did you steal from the hungry house?”

“Cobwebs. In case you didn’t know how to make them.”

“Chanyeol,” Jongdae stops his hands to stare at him, deadpanned. “I take that as a personal offense.”

“Okay, okay then, now go do your funky magic then, my short part leprechaun friend.”

“I dare you to say that one more time.”

“What, short part leprechaun fr— AAAAAHHHHH JONGDAE”

A moment later, Chanyeol’s hanging by his ankles, suspended in mid-air, held by the ropes.

“Hmm seems like this is working very well then.” Jongdae mutters, before unceremoniously dumping Chanyeol away from the cushioned floor, the giant hitting the ground with a crash and a long groan.

“,” Jongdae suddenly grabs his friend by the edges of his crimson robes, tugging him behind a wall of curtains.

“Wha—” Chanyeol sputters, tasting the mouthful of velvet furriness of the curtains and tries very hard not to gag.

“Someone’s coming,” Jongdae whispers, poking Chanyeol’s elfish ears, which twitch.

“I hear someone,” the taller whispers before Jongdae slaps him upside the head.

“No I can hear that too. Who is it?”

“Can’t tell…” Chanyeol sticks one large eye and one big ear out to see, and is met with a high pitched scream. “Hey we caught someone!”

“Wait—” Jongdae starts at the same time as Chanyeol steps out and says “Hey isn’t that—”

“Baozi!” Jongdae gapes, before tumbling to the ground in a laughing mess.

“J-Jongdae!” Minseok splutters, looking around wildly with the ropes holding onto his ankles, trying to keep his shirt from falling.

Jongdae wheezes. “Don’t you just love hanging upside down,” he wipes a tear from the corner of his eyes. “Why is it always you?”

“It’s Minseok, not ‘baozi’, and I.. I can’t say that I do, no,” he mumbles, salty. “Uh. Would you mind letting me down?”

Jongdae lies himself down on the mattress, staring indulgently up at the hanging boy with a cat-like grin curling his lips. “Why, what’s wrong? Usually you’d last way longer.”

“Yes well usually it’s not in the middle of the day and just the two of us. Someone could walk up any moment! Or worse, my professor’ll stick her head out and ask me why I’m not in class,” Minseok babbles fervently, blood rushing to his cheeks.

Jongdae blinks. “And that matters because?”

“Because—because it’s embarrassing!” Minseok glances at Chanyeol, who is, unfortunately, still laughing.

“What embarrassing?”

“Me. Hanging upside down??” Minseok gapes at Jongdae, who only giggles.

“You’re cute, not embarrassing.” The heat under Minseok’s skin flares up for a moment, and Jongdae sits up, poking at his face. “Wow you’re way red!”

Minseok adverts his eyes. “Y-you’d be red too if you were hanging upside down!”

“Oh yeah,” Jongdae turns to Chanyeol. “Hey maybe we should call that friend of yours, Kris, Yifan, whatever, over. He can…” Jongdae glances at Minseok. “Join him.”

Chanyeol can’t scramble to his feet fast enough.

When he’s gone, Jongdae hops up, shrinking the cushion a little, Minseok watching as Jongdae literally works his magic in setting up another one, the boy continuing to softly chuckle as he strings ropes together, exactly three times faster with magic than with Chanyeol dragging things around previously.

Jongdae finishes with a flourish after seemingly countless spells strung together, noting how half an hour is probably almost up, but sits and stares up at Minseok again anyway, absentmindedly staring at the boy, who looks away, finding it awkward keeping eye contact. But Jongdae’s brain chooses this moment to remind him about how Chanyeol called it a crush.

The heat under Minseok’s skin begin to resurface. “Y-yah, what’re you staring at?”

“Nothing much,” Jongdae yawns, leaning back against the mattress, counting down the minutes. He hopes it works—although everything works if it’s Jongdae, Minseok came along before he set everything up perfectly, so he couldn’t even test it out on the hamster boy.

Any minute—and perfect timing, Jongdae’s ears pick up Chanyeol’s talking (read: shouting) and dives behind the same maroon curtains as before.

Jongdae watches as Chanyeol and company turn the corner, the even taller blonde immediately spotting Minseok. “What.”

“Uhh. Hi.” Minseok glances at the curtains where he watched Jongdae disappear behind, and decides as a spur of the moment, and he’s here already—he may as well help. “Could you, you know, help me down?”

“Oh, um yeah sure,” Kris takes one step forward. “WHAT THE .”

A few things happen at once. For one, Chanyeol collapses. Jongdae falls out from behind the curtains, clutching at his stomach. Kris’ top half of his body disappears.

Minseok is in shock, before confused laughter makes its way out of his throat. “Join the victim club,” he says, observing Kris’ very long legs that are hanging in the air, and almost nothing else. Slowly, the confusion begins to ebb, and the absurdity of everything begins strengthening Minseoks laughter. Just. Don’t question Jongdae and Chanyeol. “I can see why you do this all the time Jongdae,” he giggles.

Jongdae stops to smile at him, watching Minseok laugh at the blonde’s screeches and flails before turning around, and catching the ‘right he’s not your crush’ look Chanyeol’s sending him.

“WHATEVER YOU’RE THINKING IS WRONG,” Jongdae yells, whipping his wand out to send a pot plant after Chanyeol, who ducks unsuccessfully.

“OW YOU JONGDAE I’M TOTALLY RIGHT.”

“NO NO SHUT YOUR LARGE MOUTH,” Jongdae hurls the cauldron that dropped out of Chanyeol’s bag earlier that he didn’t get to pack up when Minseok turned up.

The taller boy actually manages to duck this time around. “TELL ME I’M WRONG KIM JONGDAE.”

Kris is silent in horror. Minseok is shaking in laughter.

“YOU ARE GODDAMN WRONG! WHEN HAVE YOU EVER BEEN RIGHT?!” A suit of armour springs to life at wand-point, charging at Chanyeol, who flees down the corridor screaming.

“I AM RIGHT AND YOU CANNOT PROVE ME WRONG!”

Jongdae’s scowling, until the idea pops into his head. Perfect for what’s to come.

“Hey,” his attention snaps to Minseok. “Could you let me down now?”

He shrugs good-naturedly. “Sure.”

With a gentle flop, Minseok lands on his back on the mattress, nice and comfortable, smiling up at him. “Thanks.”

“Oi what about me?” Jongdae and Minseok simultaneously turn to the headless Slytherin.

“Can he still see us?” Minseok asks genuinely.

“Yeah,” Jongdae answers over Kris’ “wait what do you mean, why wouldn’t I be able to see you?? What’s happening??”

Minseok then turns, shaking his head very slightly; Jongdae, in turn, extends his hand out to help Minseok up, grinning.

With a flick of his wrist, the mattress disappears, replaced by a puddle of ominously red liquid underneath Kris’ half-body, and Jongdae sprays some of the red water onto the walls, where it drips down.

Then he takes Minseok’s arm, and walks off.

“W-wait,” Kris splutters, legs kicking uselessly in the air, wand on the carpet. “Where do you think you’re going?!”

Minseok turns and waves over his shoulder.

Jongdae points his wand over his shoulder and shuts Kris up.

 


A/N: and that's the first part of what I've done for Halloween, the other parts are coming super shortly, like today or tomorrow. look forward to it

Sorry Yifan?

~Bunny