I

If I Speak

“No one has to know.”

The cuckooing of his alarm clock gets louder by every second, his arm flails about to shut it or at least, hit the snooze button. Eyes still closed, he secretly hopes that something really urgent comes up so he doesn't have to attend the first day of school of the new year, the new semester— his final year. His mother's sweet voice rings in his ear, telling him to get up so he wouldn't be making his friends wait when they come by.

Kyungsoo still contemplates and thinks of every possible white lie he hasn't yet pulled out from the drawer of his ideas but as if the Gods from above resents on his thoughts; nothing seems to come out of his thinking box and so, he gets up anyway. Every movement he makes as slow as a turtle crossing a road and he wonders if they had a race, would he be the one losing or winning?

He enters the shower cubicle, twisting the water faucet anti-clockwise for warm water, he wonders what adventures await for the three of them or at least for himself— after all, Jongin and Soojung are an item and he's just a third wheel. The liquid runs down his brown locks to his milky skin, he hums softly to a tune of his favourite song as a start to his day but even so, he still secretly hopes somebody dies so he wouldn't need to go to school.

The pair walks in silence as they tread their way towards Kyungsoo's home, only the sound of their footsteps accompanied by the soft wind howling are heard, however; even from a mile apart, almost anyone can sense the tense atmosphere. Soojung clears , breaking down the walls as she says, "How was your winter break? Kyungsoo said you went to Osaka, guess you had fun, huh?"

Jongin shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly, not making eye contact, he replies, "Yeah, I guess you could say that— we went skiing." The lassie nods her head and it breaks into utter silence once again, she grabs hold of her backpack straps as though her life depends on it and wonders why the journey to Kyungsoo's house seem to be longer today.

All dressed in a white shirt with light brown khakis alongside a blue blazer embroidered with the school's badge, gold in colour and a red tie wrapped around his neck, Kyungsoo is already set to go. He takes a glance at the clock situated at the top entrance of the kitchen, it is half past seven and the pair still haven't arrived. Mrs. Do looks at his son, questioning, "Don't you want to have breakfast before you leave?"

The doorbell chimes and Kyungsoo shakes his head to the jingle, he lies, "I'm still full from last night's dinner," when he barely even touched his food. Kyungsoo makes his way towards the shoe rack and slides in his black All-Stars Converse sneakers, leaving the house. He plasters the brightest smile he can, greeting, "Good morning to two of my favourite people, how are you doing today?" and he swears that even he himself could hear the strain in his voice.

Soojung elicits a small titter, replying, "You sound like some sort of a salesman trying to get us to buy your products, Soo," shaking her head at the latter. Jongin looks at him, a faint smile curls up his lips, and Kyungsoo dismisses it as hi, nice to see you again too.

Out of pity, Kyungsoo walks in the middle, sparing the wall that the two possibly have built on their way to his house, he tries to think of a topic to talk about but to no avail. Instead, his brain silently plays back what happened during winter break and out of reflex, he looks at Jongin, then towards Soojung and he thinks, What did I put myself into?

Nearing the school gate, Kyungsoo stops his steps and looks at the two, after much thought and arrangement of his sentence, he fibs, "Look, I don't know what's the problem this time but spare the first day for me? I'm not in any mood to be your manager and clean your dirt for you, please?" though his plea barely gets any response from the two at least until a minute of silence.

Jongin looks at Soojung, slowly, he takes her hand and holds it, he says, "No one has to know." Soojung nods her head and looks at Kyungsoo, he repeats after Jongin, "No one has to know." Despite of the little pact between the three, the feeling of guilt coils in Kyungsoo's guts and he swears that he feels like throwing up when he actually has an empty stomach.

The trio enters the school compound, acting as though everything is fine, Kyungsoo looks at the two and whispers to Jongin, "Don't strain yourself too much, even a kid can tell you're fake." Jongin looks at the shorter, rolling his eyes, he relaxes himself and attempts to treat Soojung like he always do. Kyungsoo flashes a small smile and says, "See you guys for recess," making his escape from the two.

Thank God, Kyungsoo thought but the thought breaks into pieces as he sees Chanyeol, the school's basketball captain. The giant walks over to Kyungsoo, a small smirk curling up the latter's lips, he says, "I know what you did during winter break, Do Kyungsoo." Kyungsoo's breathing hitches, he forgets the mechanism to breathing for a second and he never knew his name could sound so poisonous when it slides from Chanyeol's tongue.

Out of curiousity, Kyungsoo looks at the taller and asks, "What do you know?" as he raises a brow. Chanyeol breaks into a fit of laughter, scaring the out of Kyungsoo and yet, he wonders how the giant gets nominated as the friendliest member of the student council when all Kyungsoo could see is a creep in disguise. Nonetheless, he still waits for the answer to his question eventhough he knows what Chanyeol implied on but there is no harm in confirming what he actually saw.

Chanyeol's face adorns a lopsided grin, flashing his pearly whites before he answers, "Why should I tell you when you perfectly know what you did, unless— you want me to let the whole school know as well?" Kyungsoo doesn't know if it was his imagination or if he didn't get enough sleep because he reckons he sees Chanyeol as a devil's spawn.

The bell rings, signalling the start of the first period and it just so happens to be a class that both Chanyeol and him shares. Casually, Chanyeol swings his arms around the smaller's shoulders and says, "Let's talk more about it, shall we? After all, it's not often to get dirt on a guy like you— teacher's pet, goody two shoes... They did say good girls are just bad girls that haven't been caught. Perhaps, you're a bad guy that haven't been caught yet as well. I always wondered if nothing ever happened between the ever so famous school trio, just my luck, huh?"

Kyungsoo exhales a sigh, though shortly after, his lips curl up a smile and nonchalantly, he says, "I'm not really a fan of sports but, I just wondered... What would happen if I told your basketball hooligans that you actually jacked yourself off for Baekhyun?" Chanyeol's steps skids to a stop, the heel of his shoes screech on the floor, emitting a high-pitched sound, he looks at Kyungsoo, amazed by the latter's get back.

Chanyeol gives in, he wouldn't want to have his reputation in basketball gets shredded when it's his final year. He needs a scholarship and he could barely maintain his pointers if he applied for academics scholarship. Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo and says, "Fine, I saw you walking out of the house, early in the morning— you looked like you stayed the night and everybody knows if you stayed over the night, you ed each other."

If only murder was legal, Kyungsoo thought, he could already imagine himself strangling Chanyeol or perhaps, steal his eyes from its socket just to delete what he saw. Kyungsoo finally says, "Not a word to anyone or I'll make sure you regret for even seeing what you saw." Although, he knows that the truth would come out sooner or later, he hopes that nobody finds out about anything— at least until they graduate.

Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo, unfazed, he asks, "What's in it for me to keep your dirty little secret? It's quite unfair if you get to keep your name slate clean when you're not even polishing mine," his voice clearly showing displeasure at the treatment.

Kyungsoo hums softly as he taps his chin, a smirk curls up his heart-shaped lips as he answers, "I'll get Baekhyun for you."