evolecture

of sunsets and daisies (and occasional stupidity)

evolecture
Characters : Bangtan 

Word Count : 895
Genre : crack!bts, high school au
Written : 150313


Its been barely an hour, and Jimin has heard Jungkook yawn fifteen times. 

“Its important to know the difference between phylogeny and taxonomy.” The lecturer raises his laser pointer and the red dot rushes from one end of the screen to the other. 

“As though it’s more important than knowing how to breathe.” Jungkook lets out a soft sigh as he dug his hands further into the pockets in his black jacket before leaning forward to rest his head on the table. Its been a relatively long day, and he can only recall sitting in the same seat for six hours straight, having microbiology lectures and chemical kinetics lectures back to back – none of which stayed in his head. He had issues with remembering or registering information quickly, they had to be digested slowly, leaving him time to chew on the finest of details. And on the longest day of the week, he chooses to sleep because its better that way, he’d learn better on his own anyway. 

“It is, if you’re going to pursue biology,” Seokjin points out as he reaches over and pulls the younger boy’s hoodie down to cover his face, “Don’t drool all over your notes again.” 

“I don’t.” Jungkook huffs as he flips the hoodie off his head, his hair standing up in the aftermath of the older boy’s actions. 

“I’m pretty sure I’ll find the smudged spot in your notes if I just flipped this one page.” Jimin adds as he leans towards the youngest boy in the class, tapping his lips lightly with his black pen before noticing that he was holding the cap and the exposed tip was leaving black dots on his lips. 

“Please don’t tell me you’re putting on black lipstick, and no, excuse you.” Jungkook squints at Jimin for a few seconds before shaking his head and resuming to press his cheek against the table. 

“Listen to the lecture, kids. Stop being noisy.” Seokjin concludes, as he curses in his mind for failing this module over and over – if he had just worked harder to gain an extra mark last year, he wouldn’t be stuck in this stuffy lecture theatre with this bunch of immature kids. But he didn’t hate it that much, they were nice enough to be called friends, as close to camaraderie as he could find. 

The lecture then progresses rather smoothly before the lecturer pops the first question, “Now, you guys know what chimps are don’t you?” 

Fatality. 

With just fifteen minutes to the end of the three hour lecture, Jimin decides to be utterly embarrassing. 

“I do!” Jimin raises his hand and flails about and almost falls off his seat. But that’s not the end. 

“Really?” The lecturer raises an eyebrow with mock amusement as he nods slowly. 

In response, Jimin scurries out of his seat and as soon as he reaches the platform in front of five rows of students, he begins to hop about in an attempt to imitate the actions of a chimpanzee. As the students begin to laugh and rolls off their seats, Hoseok makes his grand entrance by jumping off four steps at once, landing with a tumble forward to stand right next to Jimin. And together they enjoy the impromptu stage, their arms swinging from side to side, their legs shaking throughout. The lecturer steps back as they do so, a frown forming on his forehead, but his reaction time isn’t quick enough. 

The boy sitting behind Seokjin, who was by now, covering his face with his notes due to embarrassment holds his hand up against his parted lips and begins to make high pitched sounds, mimicking the cries of a primate in the early mornings. 

“Yoongi not you too.” Seokjin sighs as he runs his fingers through his hair in frustration. The orange-haired boy merely smiles in response as he pauses for a few seconds, catching his breath. 

This carries on for five minutes until Namjoon slams his book against the table and opens it with one swift motion, “May I bring to your attention that orangutans are as closely related to chimps as they are to humans?” 

And everyone pauses, before returning to there seats. As Hoseok settles beside the tall boy, he tilts his head to glance at him and whispers, “Irrelevant .” 

The lecturer has barely taken a breath as he sighs and blinks at the clock, groaning at the fact that he was left with five minutes so wrap the lecture up. 

“As you all should know by the end of this lesson, homology is a similarity due to shared ancestry, which gives rise to analogous structures, like in this mole. Would someone kindly tell me more about where these moles live?” 

Taehyung’s arm shoots up for the first time in that month as he grins widely at the teacher. 

“They live in the sky!” 

Silence ensues as Namjoon drops his pen, which rolled off the table and onto Seokjin’s notes, leaving an unflattering trail of maroon ink. The older boy grunts and turns to glare at the older boy, only to knock his pens off the table and onto the floor. The pens roll down the tilted platform as Jimin watches the pens quietly. At the end of this chain effect, Hoseok laughs lightly and Jungkook snores. 

Jimin finds it a miracle that his counterpart’s still asleep.