Chances

Oh, my High school! (extended version)

 

The next day, I was feeling anxious. I’ve practiced a lot of things to say to him, but there was no sign of him the whole day.

It’s 4PM, and I was arguing with myself if I’ll show up or not. I don’t want to look stupid waiting there for him, and I don’t want to see him freezing in the cold waiting for me. I don’t know what to do.

 

I was walking back and forth from where I stood.

“Ae Ra!” Sung Hyun, a friend of mine, called from the distance. I stopped and looked at his direction. “Let’s go,” he said. When he reached me, my brows met, “Where?”

“To dance practice. You forget again, didn’t you? It’s okay, good thing I always bring extra clothes with me,” he said, patting me at the back and smiled.

 

I smiled crookedly at him. He seemed to notice it, “What’s wrong?” I shook my head, “Nothing.” I shouldn’t worry about Shin Dongho’s offer, he wouldn’t show up anyway. I took my bag, “Let’s go, Oppa,” and we walked to the gym.

 

After dance practice, I started packing my things.

“Hey, you seemed out of focus today,” Sung Hyun approached me, handing me a towel.

“Thanks,” I ignored his question and took the towel to wipe my sweat off my forehead. “What time is it, Sung Hyun?” “Uh,” he looked at his watch, “9PM, why?”

 

“I have to go, Sung Hyun Oppa,” I smiled quickly and started towards the door. He ran after me. “What’s bothering you? Tell me,” he said, holding my right arm. “I told you, nothing. I just have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said and left him.

 

It was a cold night in Seoul. Good thing Sung Hyun lent me his jacket.

I was few steps away from my house. “Hey!” the familiar surprised me, almost making me jump. My heart’s beating faster again.

 

“Yah! Why didn’t you show up?” Shin Dongho approached me. I was speechless. I wasn’t expecting this. The street light made me see his face. He sounded angry, but his eyes, they looked more upset that angry. And I felt really guilty.

 

I tried to say sorry. I opened my mouth but words just won’t come out. “Tsk, do you know how cold it is outside? I’ve waited for five hours,” he continued. I just looked at my toes. I don’t know what to say to him. Just when tears are about to fall from my eyes, I felt his head on my shoulder.

 

I was taken by surprise. I realized he passed out… 

 

Just when I was preparing beef stew for him, I heard him yawning. I turned my head and quickly approached him.

 

“Good, you’re awake,” I said, and smiled at him. I took the towel soaked in water and put it on his forehead. He just stared at me. “You’re in my house, you went unconscious outside. You have a high fever.”

He sat up, and smirked. “I thought you’re gonna let me die outside. It’s so nice of you, Ms. Lee Ae Ra,” he said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

 

I pushed him softly on his shoulder. “You really thought I’m that bad?” I can’t help but grin. He just chuckled. I sighed and the grin faded. “Really, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I-“

“You thought I wasn’t serious,” he cut me. I looked at him, and his face turned serious too.

“No, I--” I let out a deep sigh. I can’t find the right words to say to him. I just pursed my lips.

“That’s okay, Ae Ra. Now you owe me a date,” he said, smiling again. “But…”

“No but’s, Ms. Lee. Just one date and I won’t bother you again.”

We both stared at each other. I broke the silence, “One date?” He nodded. I nodded back, “Alright, Dongho.”

 

He smiled and it reached his eyes, “You called me Dongho.”

I didn’t realize it, but I just chuckled and offered him the beef stew I prepared. It’s weird, but I think I have to give him a chance to prove himself. And I’m taking my chances too. I smiled to myself of this thought.