I miss him - Risa

A Shattered Heart

The next day I woke up, I saw Riyuu was sitting at the dining table with Dylan and his mother. “Morning Risa! Come, let’s have breakfast.”

I took a seat next to Riyuu and started to munch the food. I glanced at Dylan but he still has his cold face on without blushing about last night incident. “I’m done.” He said.

He set off to school and a few minutes later, Riyuu said goodbye to aunty and me. Riyuu said that he won’t be coming back this weekend so I’ll be on my own for two weeks. After the meals, I helped aunt with the dishes and decided to have a stroll around the neighbourhood.

The morning breeze is really refreshing and furthermore, the smell of the sea is relaxing. At least, I wouldn’t have to remind myself about school, busy city temporary and…. Sato Shori. I glanced at my cell phone but there is no message or calls from him.

I sat at the beach nearby and pressed Marius’s number. I think of giving him a short call before my schedule is packed with school tomorrow. Today is Sunday by the way. Oh wait, Sunday? Dylan has school on Sunday? Seriously? Then when is his weekend?

“Hello?” A voice from the other line.

“Hello, Marius. This is Risa, are you busy now?” 

“Risa! Hi hi! You haven’t been around for quite long! How are you doing?”

“Great. How about you?”

“I’m fine. Hahah, I missed talking to you, Risa.”A crooked laugh from Marius and suddenly he is silent for a while. I heard murmurs on the other line and probably he is busy.

“Marius? You seemed busy now. Sorry to interrupt your work.” I said, feeling guilty for disturbing his work.

“Oh no! It’s okay. I’m in the waiting room right now. We don’t really have much things to do.”

“We? You are not alone.”

“Yeah. Kikuchi san is here. Sou chan. And….”

And….?

“Everyone is there? Including the leader? I mean Nakajima Kento san?”

“Err no. He’s not here. Shori kun is here too.”

Hearing his name suddenly breaks my heart. I feel so hurt by just listening to his name chanted.

“I see.”

“Anyway Risa, Kikuchi san wants to talk to you.”

Okay…? I think he is with the long hair.

“Hello Risa!”

“Hi Kikuchi san!”

“It is quite a long time after your last visit. I missed sending you home with my bike.” He chuckled. Yeah, it is him. He always send me home when Riyuu is busy.

“Yes. I missed that too. Sadly I can’t visit you anymore. Because… Of certain things.”

“Risa, I have a few words to tell you. Do you mind if I open up? I’m alone right now. I went to an empty room.” Kikuchi said again.

“Sure.”

“I heard you left Tokyo because of Shori. Why is that?”

“Riyuu doesn’t like me hanging around with him. He thought that I like him and will get into a relationship so he is trying to prevent that from happening.”

“How about you? What do you feel about it?”

“I am happy to see him every day and share my things with him. Since the last time I went to the library, I saw he started to change as if he got a warning. But he didn’t tell me. The next day, someone framed me for posting our photos in my facebook account. I swear I didn’t do that. But Sato believed I was the culprit. Riyuu called and have me transferred to another school”

“To that extend?! Just because of Shori, Haru san made you moved to another school?”

“Yeah. How is he doing?”

“Shori you mean? I don’t know how to make it in words but he doesn’t look fine these days.” I heard Kikuchi san sighed.

“What do you mean? He is sick?”

“He doesn’t talk much since you left. When we met Haru san along the way, he bowed slightly and averted his eyes away; trying not to make eye contacts with Haru san. Well, he doesn’t get that much of lectures from our boss about revealing our identities but the main point is, he is broken.”

We fell into silence for a while. I didn’t mean to hurt him that way. “I never expect it would end this way. Sometimes I just feel of going back to the old times, before meeting him. But in the same time I’m happy to meet all of you. I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay, Risa. Cheer up. You can make up with him some day. Just don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault either. I believe you are not the one. I was wondering out of sudden you would post up about something like that whereas you can do it earlier.” Said Kikuchi san. His words brighten me up.

“Risa, what are you doing here?” Suddenly someone interrupted. I turned around and found Dylan was standing not far from me.

“Oh Dylan. Wait for a moment.” I told Dylan. Dylan frownded; curiosity strikes him and gazes at me impassively about who I am talking with.

“Kikuchi san, I’m afraid I have to go now. My cousin is already here.” I said.

“Sure. I know you missed him, Risa. Don’t you?” Suddenly Kikuchi san’s voice is echoing from the other line. I barely heard him.

“I am. Will talk to you again. Bye!” I said and hung up the call. It was odd? Echoes from the other line? Nah, whatever.

“Who was it?” Dylan asked, sipping into his chocolate ice cream.

“A friend from Tokyo.”

“Oh.” He roamed something into his bag and handed one ice cream to me. “Want some?”

“Yes. Thank you.” I took the ice cream and dig in. “Oh by the way, you have school during weekend? Then when is your break?”

“Friday and Saturday. That school is weird. Please get note about its rules. You don’t want to get drown in a river if you break one of it. And no gadgets is allowed in the school compound.”

Ehhhhh???

“Nobody had ever complain with the tight rules?”

“Surprisingly no. But I get used to it after a long time. Living without gadgets in school is really depressing.” He said. Well, yeah who doesn’t?

It was already one in the afternoon and I didn’t realise I’ve been strolling down town for quite long. And Dylan came back from school is quite early. I’m deeply into my ice cream when suddenly Dylan’s arm slung at my shoulders; pulling me closer to him. A car then sped next to me and my heart raced, adrenaline ran into the vein.

“Be careful.” He said and glared at me. For a second while, I blushed at his stares.

We reached home and greeted by nobody. Aunty is probably out to buy some groceries. “I have bought your uniforms. Try them on. Hope it fits your size and we have to go out to buy some shoes.” Said Dylan.

“Wait, I have mine. It’s still new.” I said and showed him my school shoes. His brows creased and shook his head.

“Keep them. You can’t wear that. No heels. You need heels to attend this school. I will show you which is suitable.” He said.

What?!  

I went into the bathroom and got change into my new school uniforms. It is only an ordinary school uniform but they have weird rules and schooling days. Seemed I have to get use to different culture here. I walked out of the bathroom and showed at Dylan.

“How was it?” He asked.

“Quite okay but isn’t the skirt is a bit… revealing?” I asked, pulling the skirt downwards.

“To me it’s fine. Don’t tell me you aren’t used to the miniskirts?” He asked again.

“No.” I said.

“You have to from now. And don’t get shock when you are going to have PE. They make you wear short pants or more likely the size of my boxer.” He said and raised his boxer in the air.

That’s short!!

“Go and change. We have to look for your shoes.” He said and walked out of my room. I quickly change into my casual attire; track bottom and a v-neck t-shirt and ran down the stairs to grab my slippers.

A few minutes passed, Dylan came down after changed and we walked towards the nearest footwear shop. I saw he picked a pair of dark brown shoes and gave the promoter in charged. After a while, she came with a box with the shoes that Dylan chose.

“Only this is allowed and black socks.” Dylan said and took out the shoes from the box. I take the shoes and wears it on my feet. It fits perfectly. He didn’t even ask my size and it just perfectly fit. I’m amazed.

“It’s good.” I said. The sales girl took the shoes and I paid at the cashier. I got new uniforms and a set of new school shoes. What else?

“After this?” I asked.

“It’s done. And you can still use your old exercise books for tomorrow.” He said and we stopped in front of an ice cream café. We had a little snacks and walked back home.

Aunty greeted us and we had a late lunch since we just got off to buy some things. “How was it? Dylan showed you the school and buy some stuffs?” She asked.

“Oh no, aunty. We just went to get a pair of shoes and had ice cream along the way.” I said. Dylan remained silent and his head always looked down. A passive human being?

“That’s great! I hope you two get along very well in school. Dylan, don’t forget to show Risa around the school and also keep in touch. Okay, dear?”

“Yes, mom.”

“Oh, Riyuu called me just now. He asked about you. He said he was worried.” Aunty said from the sink.

“Oh really?”

“Ah. I said you were fine. Right, Risa?” Aunty turned around and smiled at me.

“Yes. I like this place. Because I love to see the beach.” I said. Dylan finished his food and went into his room. I followed him after a while and start to pack my school things for tomorrow. A few minutes later, a message came in.

    Come to my room. I have something to tell you.. –Dylan-

He can’t just knock on the door? I went to his room and found he was sitting at his study table. He turned around and asked me to seat at the corner of his bed.

“I want to tell you that we have to go out of this house at 7.15am. School starts at 7.45. You don’t want to be late and get drown in the river on the first day. I’ll send you to the office for your class placement and if we are not in the same class, meet me in front of the canteen. We have a break and I’ll show you around the school.” He said.

“Uh. Okay. Anything else?”

“No. You can go now.”


“Mom, after breakfast, we want to go to the beach. My friends are waiting for us in half an hour. I will take Risa with me as well.” Dylan said after his first munch.

“Oh. Okay. Take care then.” His mom said; her eyebrows arched and exchanging view of us.

I went into my room and putting on a linen shirt and short pants. I grabbed the bag and shoved my clean clothes for me to change after playing at the beach suddenly Dylan knocked at the door. I went to the door and unlocked it.

“Yes?”

“Do you have any swimming suits?” He asked, tilting his head to his side. I shook my head. I didn’t expect we would go out for a beach trip. Duh, Riyuu has never tell me about this and I stupidly didn’t remind myself about the swimming suits, just in case.

“I think I will just go with a pants and a shirt.” I said.

“Okay. I’m done by the way. I will wait for you outside.” He said and his heels, walking down the stairs with a sport bag slung at his shoulder.

A few minutes later, I already left the room and grabbed a sandal with me and seeing Dylan waited for me patiently at the gate with another bag. It looks stuffed. A picnic bag? Aunt has packed us snacks? I like it…

“Dylan, do you need a hand? I can get one of those.” I said, pointing at one of the stuffed bag that he is holding. In total he has 3 bags with him. One is his sport bag and another two are for food. Woah, what has Aunt Aya has packed for us?

“It’s okay. Are you done? I’m aging here while waiting for you.” He said bluntly. Oh? Keep your face straight Risa. Don’t let Dylan’s bluntness put off your guards.

He was nice yesterday and suddenly a hidden pang and his mood swings just came back. Okay…. Okay…

 

We reached at the beach and one of his girlfriends waved at us. They have set up a few big umbrellas for shelters and laid a big mat to sit. Dylan set his bags off the mat and the girls peeked and cocked their heads; wondering what is in the bag.

“Food. Beverages.” Dylan muttered. His guy friends grinned at they started with their boy’s conversation and I’m here, sitting oddly at the side or more likely starring at the open sea. The girls have already ran into the water, flapping and splashing waters at each other in their bikinis. Oh wow. Their perfect S-line is really impressive.

“Risa, don’t you want to join us for a short time in the water?” One of Dylan’s friend asked me. I think his name is Shigeru. He smiles—making me flushed crimson.

“Hey Dylan! Don’t let your cousin here all alone. She looked dumbfounded. Invite her to play with us.” He screamed, making me startled a little but none of them realise. I am so close to him, even he is sitting next to me, he don’t have to shout at Dylan. Gosh, I’m not deaf or can’t speak.

“Risa, do you?” Dylan asked. His body shifted and bent slightly forward to peek at me. His other friends turned to me as well and their lips curved into a smile that doesn’t reach their eyes.

“Er. It’s okay. I’m good here.”

“Aww, don’t be that way. I’m hurt.” Shigeru fisted his hand on his heart—making a pitiful face. “Okay I know how to solve this. You are hungry, aren’t you?”

Eh..? My stomach grumbles. Yeah… Enough for him and myself to hear. He chuckles and grabs the stuffed picnic bags, placing them at the center of the mat.

“Girls! Let us eat. And we can rock in the water later!” His other friend called, waving his hand up and down in the air. The girls saw him and they ran out of the water and walked to us.

I saw there were sandwiches—varieties of sandwiches. His friends took out fried chickens, grilled sausages and French fries. Oh my goodness, it is mouthwatering. A sign that I’m hungry. Shigeru took out an egg sandwich and opened the plastic fold. He then gave it to me without his smile slide from his face.

I gladly thank him and my face are heating. How can he gives me an effect by just smiling? I smiled back and my ‘thank you’ is barely audible. He turned his gazes at his friends and started to munch at his food. I shifted my gazes and caught Dylan is glowering down at me.

What is his problem? Do I look like a boyfriend snatcher here? I bite the last piece of the sandwich and finishes off my water from the cup that Shigeru has poured earlier in two shots. I clasp my hands and rub together, dusting off the bread crust from my palm.

“Erm, please excuse me. I need to find a toilet. Do you know where it is?” I asked, looking at each of them one by one.

“I know.” Shigeru replied with his mouth full of food. I smiled at him when he offered me to follow him to the toilet and again I caught Dylan is frowning at my back.

 

We were walking together and suddenly my hand brushed Shigeru’s hand and it brought me back from my own universe. “Oh, I’m sorry.” I said. He shakes his head and smile at me.

“I want to ask about your sudden move from Tokyo.” He started. I raised my neck, acknowledging his next word coming out from his mouth. “Why did you transfer here? Isn’t Tokyo is much better with complete facilities?”

Oh he is starting. Should I open up my real intention? Riyuu’s intention, duh freak.. Should I? Should I tell him? Will it be okay?

“Some family matters that I have to move in.” I said, trying to be solid, hesitating to answer his digging information project.

“Your parents are not here? Shouldn’t they be here too because you said family matters? Your dad or mom is transferring departments?” Oh he is persistent!

“My dad is still in Tokyo. Riyuu has his work unfinished in Tokyo too. So I had no choice to move first.” I said. Cut it! Cut it! No more digging for information!

“Hmm, I see.” He said. Yes! He rubs his cheek with his fingers. His eyes is still waiting to find a good time to indulge more information from me. What is he up to if he gets the info? “I find you quite interesting in the first place.” He added. Okay, he has change the topic! Where is he going with this?

“Am I?”

“Yes. I really want to talk to you so bad when Dylan brought you to the festival but then he have you for himself. Suddenly he said he is going back home. I was anticipating to see you in school the next day but after I heard you answered Matsumoto’s question, I’m a bit disappointed.” His tone changed. His voice is getting slow.

“I’m sorry for that.”

“But now I got the chance, cherish every bit eh?” He turned to me and I can feel my eyes are slightly wide at his word. He sounds like a playboy. He knows how to flirt with his sweet and soft-spoken voices!

I smiled as a reply, ignoring that he is trying to flirt with me. We reached at our place and we didn’t find the others on the mat. We turned to the sea and they were all already in the water. Shigeru yanks his shirt over his head and toss it on his duffel bag and he jogs towards his friends but then he stop at his tracks.

“Are you joining? Don’t miss this gold chance. You might not have another once you have started with school.”

I took off my sandals and followed him from behind towards the others. “You know how to swim?” He asked again. I nodded my head. He gave me an assuring smile and grabbed my wrist with him into the water. We approached the others and I still stand there, like a stone, watching the others playing. I just don’t know how to socialize myself with them.

They are happy playing with each other and I smiled at thoughts seeing how cute they are together. They have a wonderful friendship and I shouldn’t interfere. I swim further from them and start my routine swimming. Woah.. The waves are quite sturdy eh..

I was swimming lively through the waves and suddenly my left leg cramped. It feels like electric runs through the vein and I lost my balance. I was too scared and panic and don’t know what to do. It is so frightening that I might die of drowning in concentrated salt water.

I kicked in the water to launch myself up, to get the others attention. They are so far away. The won’t realise me drowning here. Oh my goodness, I just choke a full mouth of seawater. I raised my left hand, waving in the air and my other free hand massaged my calf to relieve the tensions in my muscles. I’m drowning. It’s too deep. The waves are getting stronger and bringing me further from the shore.

Choking lots of water and I can’t breathe properly. “Help me!” I shrieked and the last word bubbled in the water. Help me… Dark is slowly consuming me…

“Risa! Hold in there!” I heard voices mixed with the sloshes of the water and the sound of the waves.

Will this be the end of my life? Drowning and died just like that in a sea? Who will look after daddy if I am gone? And who will accompany Sato when he plays basketball? I don’t want to die young… Help….

…. Me.