TWELVE

Bottled Hopes and Lullabies

CHAPTER TWELVE

“Welcome back, Mr. Wu” Meifen bows with a smile as she sees her boss enter the floor as he exits the elevator looking dashing as ever. He acknowledges the greeting with a mere hum as he heads straight for his office and his secretary begins to break down his schedules of the day.

 

“…a representative from Givenchy called in yesterday; she said that your suit will be delivered today before lunch time along with Mrs. Wu’s dress and sir, Ms. Wei has –” “That’s all I need to know, Ms. Peng” he cuts her off before she could finish, just the sound of the name already annoys him. “But sir…” Meifen tries to go on but Kris gestures her off with a wave, she purses her lips together and mumble a small ‘okay’ then leaves his office.

 

The dark-haired chairman sits down on his chair and leans back, letting out a tired sigh as he closes his eyes for a moment while ignoring the paper works that had begun to stack on his table. It was time to get back to the problems that he had momentarily left behind in exchange for a week in Seoul. The knock on the door disrupts his moment of silence; he shoots a glare at the door and the person behind it before telling them to come inside. Stephanie’s head pops in through the gap with a bright grin and she hollers “Hey!”

 

She steps inside her brothers office with files in hand, “welcome back, how was the trip?”

 

“Fun” he forces a brief smile then snorts “Luhan extends his hello

 

His sister pouts at him and raises a brow, “What’s with the snort?” Kris rolls his eyes at her and starts to get to work with the papers on his desk; he pulls the first one on top of the pile and clicks his pen before starting to scan through the documents “You both make it so damn obvious. Tell me, is that idiot asking you out?” he questions which catches Stephanie off guard making her fluster at his straightforward attitude, she stammers “W-what? Ofcourse not! Luhan-ge and I are not dating, we just happen to be good friends who talk often!”

 

“Ugh…” he grimaces “don’t call him GE if you’re going to date him, Stephanie”

 

The blush on her cheeks turn a deeper red “We are not dating, Yifan!” she emphasizes but Kris merely brushes it off with a smirk “Yeah, sure, if you say so…” he raises his head and looks at her with a challenging gaze “Look me in the eye and tell me that he hasn’t invited you to be his partner for the Gala”

 

Silence; Kris smirks at his sister in triumph as her blush turns a shade darker and she walks off “Idiot!” she yells while her brother chuckles in the background.

 

Meanwhile at CUBE,

 

Hana knocks on her boss’ door and enters at the permission given; she gives the lady a bright smile and walks inside with a briefcase containing the documents gathered from her trip. The chairwoman opens the case and reviews the documents one by one, her face –though stiff and stoic- seemed to smile now and then in a pleased manner which relieved the female sitting on the guest chair.

 

After a while, the lady returns the documents on the case and shuts it softly before turning to Hana with a smile then asks, “How did you find the trip, dear?” Hana was a bit surprised by the question, she felt like she was being interviewed for some reason “Uhm,” she searches for words to say “it was tiring to be quite honest but it was equally, erm, educating? I guess to experience what you experience is quite an eye opener, Madame” and the lady smiles, seeming pleased with her answer aswell.

 

“But you handled it well, yes?” she questions again and Hana answers with an unsure ‘yes’. It was tiring but it was nothing that she couldn’t handle; the Madame smiles, “as expected. My friends have given me a call while you were still in Paris; they say that they are quite impressed by how you carry yourself so professionally”

 

When you’re the wife of a famous businessman, you can’t help but to act in such a way almost every day, she quietly thinks to herself flustering at the words of her husband’s grandmother.

 

“I’m impressed aswell; tomorrow night is the Business Gala, correct?”

 

Hana nods, her eyes lit up after as she remembers something “Oh yes, and speaking of the Gala, your RSVPs have arrived at your doorstep as what the representative had told me, ma’am” the lady chuckles, “Yes dear, thank you for informing me but anyway, I would just like to tell you to do your very best tomorrow night.”

 

She nods then questions “Will I be assisting you there?”

 

“Oh no, not at all; you will be my grandson’s date for the evening so let us all just enjoy but as I have said, do carry yourself well at the Gala. It might bring a big change in your life” she smiles and Hana feels something bothering her, as if the words were just too cryptic to pass of as nothing.

 


 

Aiden had been running around the master’s bedroom where his dad was getting ready, he had spent a good hour playing around with his Ace-hyung and Kris was nowhere near stopping him as he was too busy himself getting prepared for tonight’s Gala. None of the two were allowed in the other room where Hana was getting ready as it was currently full of stylists, leave it to Kris to pamper his wife for one evening but it wasn’t like the Gala was just any other party so it was quite worth it to go all out on her. But, when did he never go all out for her?

 

“Alright kid” Kris pauses from buttoning his dress shirt and scoops the boy into his arms, Aiden erupts in a fit of giggles as his dad hauls him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and gently puts him on top of the bed, Kris attacks him with tickles which makes him squirm frantically on the bed and wrinkles the sheets.

 

“Baba! Noooo ~” he cries but continues to giggle. The tickle game was then interrupted by a knock on the door, “Mr. Wu, fifteen minutes before you leave; Mrs. Wu is almost done”

 

Kris doesn’t reply but instead lets off Aiden to continue running and jumping around again; he slightly regrets giving him ice cream this afternoon but that was the past and there was nothing he could do now. Going back to the mirror, he smoothens out the wrinkles on his shirt and puts on his bowtie and coat then fixes his hair in place. When he was just about done, he feels a pair of arms clasp tightly on his left leg and when he looks down he finds Aiden looking up at him with a confused look on his face.

 

“Yes buddy?” he bends down and gets in the boy’s eye level. Aiden looks at him for a good five seconds before the boy breaks into a toothy smile and hugs his dad “Baba! Peeti!”

 

Kris chuckles, “Handsome, right?” Aiden laughs and hugs his dad again.

 

A few minutes later, knocks land on the door again signaling their departure. Unfortunately, Aiden was not going tonight so he was going to stay at home with his aunt and uncle –specifically, Luhan and Stephanie because the man, for some reason, decided not to go and Stephanie had never planned to go. Upon exiting the bedroom, Kris walks into the living room and sees the two sitters for the night.

 

“Lu ~” Aiden coos in glee at the sight of his uncle and immediately reaches out his hands for him, Luhan smiles and takes him into his arms from his father’s “Did you miss me, Aiden?”

 

“You two are responsible for anything that happens to him tonight, I don’t want a single scratch on him, understood?” he instructs them and the two salutes in mockery but Kris brushes it off. He turns to Stephanie and smirks, “Also, no . I have CCTVs planted all over the place and the bathrooms are no blind spots” he chuckles in amusement at his sister’s growing red face, before she could scowl at him their attentions were caught when the sound of the other room’s door shuts and Kris is stunned at the sight of his wife appearing in the room.

 

Even Aiden was speechless.

 


 

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we are coming to you live from the red carpet of the 118th Business Gala where the most successful businessmen and women from all around the world are invited to take part in one of the most important and expensive celebration ever”

 

Reporters, photographers, commoners were flocking the front of the venue behind steel barriers. The flashing of the camera lights were continuous as celebrities to rich businessmen and women walked down the red carpet; it was similar to one of those awards night in Hollywood only that this one was intended for those belonging mainly in the business world. Millionaires Night as the invitation had said, indeed it is.

 

Hana grasps tightly onto Kris’s hand, the latter notices the pressure and turns his head to see the worried look his wife’s eyes as she looked out of the window, he gives her hand a light squeeze making her turn her attention towards him, he gives her a smile “You’ll do great, Hana” he assures her and for a moment she smiles at him, grateful for the encouragement that he never fails to give her at times like these. Even with all the parties they’ve been to, each one always feels new to her but she knows that the strange churn in her gut would soon disappear and Kris’s words would be proven right.

 

“I’ll be there and I’ll never leave you, not even for a second” he tells her, pressing a kiss onto the back of her hand. He always tells her this, always reminding her that she would never have to face it alone and Hana couldn’t be happier every single time.

 

“Thank you” she tells him, lightly pecking his cheek so as not to leave any lipstick stains on his flawless face.

 

“And it seems that another guest has arrived... And oh my god, it’s one of the most famous businessmen in Asia –if not the whole world; ladies and gentlemen, Kris Wu Yi Fan has arrived at the 118th Business Gala”

 

Kris steps out of the car first and holds out his hand to his wife that had followed; the flashes of the camera had doubled and for some reason there were females screaming upon his appearance. Hana takes a deep breath and entwines her fingers with her husband’s tightly; she silently prays that she won’t fall on her face as Kris begins to guide her along the red carpet.

 

“The Chairman of Wu Corp. is looking handsome as always in a white coat and his date for tonight is no other than his wife in a very beautiful and very expensive diamond studded black dress

 

The couple had stopped halfway for a small photo session, Kris standing beside his wife with his hand on her waist and his eyes looking down on her in an almost very loving manner as if she was the only thing that he could see. A few seconds later, he parts away from Hana and steps away to give her the spotlight; she stands there for a moment and glances at him in surprise before they both crack a smile at each other which left the bystanders in awe. Taking her hand once again, he leads her away from the flashes of camera and stops over at the reporter for one of those mandatory interviews before entering the Gala’s venue.

 

“Good evening, Mr. & Mrs. Wu, you are both looking very fine tonight” the reporter smiles at the couple as they approach; Kris mumbles a small ‘thank you’ while Hana settles for a smile, “Do tell us about your outfit for the night; I had heard from a source that you are wearing Givenchy, Mr. Wu?”

 

“Yes, custom made for tonight’s event” Kris answers; “A suit well-fit for such a prestige party and I see that Mrs. Wu Hana isn’t missing out either. Tell us about your dress for the night, Mrs. Wu; it looks like you have just come from a sea of diamonds”

 

Hana chuckles a bit nervous, “Honestly, I had no idea I would be wearing this tonight, Kris had surprised me with this dress like he always does”

 

“I’m almost jealous!” the reporter jokes, “So, what made you choose this dress for Hana?” she asks Kris and he turns his eyes from the reporter to the beautiful woman standing beside who went by the name Hana, with a smile he answers “What can I say? I have found the woman that is worth more than the most expensive diamond in the world”

 

A series of squeals had erupted after that and shortly after, the couple moved on to the main hall. Hana takes a deep breath and turns to Kris, “Okay… I’m ready”

 

“You’ll do fine and for what it’s worth…” he leans close to her ear and whispers “You look very beautiful tonight, Hana” she laughs at the compliment and thanks him then begins to follow as he leads the way towards the ocean of business people.

 

HANA

 

Breathe; I tell myself, breathe Hana.

 

You would think that as the wife of Wu Yi Fan, who goes to every party he goes to, that I should be used to these kinds of occasions by now, that the spotlight should not be bothering me anymore nor would the public eye and all the attention I garner but it does… it still does and I think it’s one trait of mine that may never go away. My heart slowly starts to beat fast at the eyes that have fallen onto the both of us as Kris leads me along the way, I try my best to smile back at the attention and make sure that I never linger too long onto one person as they may take it the wrong way.

 

So far, so good and we make it to the first group of gentlemen for the night which –thankfully- happens to be Joonmyeon, Chanyeol, Yixing, Tao and Minseok.

 

“A glass of wine, milady?” Minseok extends a glass out to me and I take it with a smile, “and may I just say that you look stunning tonight, Hana” ah yes, Minseok being sweet as always; I chuckle at his compliment and reply “You look handsome as always, Xiumin” he grins widely at Kris and the latter rolls his eyes at him, typical of Kris Wu.

 

Yixing gives me an acknowledging smile before politely asking if he could have a word with Kris, “it’s a bit important and it certainly cannot wait” he emphasizes, giving me a hint of uneasiness as Kris lets go of my hand and leaves me under guard of his friends but I guess it’s better than being left with complete strangers. As the two had disappeared, I was left standing with the remainder of the group; Joonmeyon, who seems to have noticed my tensed state, gives me a smile and asks “Are you alright? You’re beginning to look a little lost, Hana”

 

“I’m fine” I fluster at his question, Tao gives me a light pat in the back “Don’t be. Remember, you’re one of the most powerful people in this room, Hana” he says and how I wish that it made me feel better but then, it just made me feel much more conscious of myself because what if people thought of me otherwise? The wife of Kris Wu is too nervous to act and too intimidated by other businessmen and women. I take a deep breath, “Thank you, Tao”

 

Looking around, I notice eyes still on me and some groups of women are even whispering among themselves while stealing glances at me. No, Hana… don’t let them get to you.

 

“Why don’t we go and meet some people?” Chanyeol invites me, offering his arm for me to take. I hesitated for a moment but after a good word from Joonmyeon how great of an idea it would be, I had set down my glass on a nearby table and took Chanyeol’s arm, he led me away from the group and for a moment we wandered aimlessly.

 

“Looks like it’s a full house tonight” Chanyeol mumbles and I nod in agreement, “A lot of people are here” “Ofcourse, it’s one of the biggest parties ever” he informs. We continue to wander aimlessly among the crowd, “I heard that you met Kris’s brother” he says all of a sudden which catches me off-guard, swallowing hard I breathe out a sigh “Yes.” I confirm then ask “who told you?”

 

Chanyeol shrugs and smiles, “I have my connections. So, how did it go?”

 

“It was okay but I would likely prefer not to cross paths with him… ever” I reply, Chanyeol chuckles then nods in agreement “I’m sure Kris would prefer it that way too”

 

The both of us come to a stop at an unoccupied tall table, Chanyeol waves over a waiter and takes two glasses of champagne, he hands one of the glasses to me and we make a quick toast before taking the first sip. I look around the room for a moment, scanning to see if there are any familiar faces however there are none. When I turn back to Chanyeol, I find him looking at me thus by some natural habit I fluster “Yes, Chanyeol?”

 

“I was just thinking” he shakes his glass a bit before taking another sip “when will you use the power that your last name has entitled you; moreover, how will you use it?”

 

I rose a brow at him “Is that a rhetorical question?” “You’re free to give an answer but if not, it’s okay. I’m just curious really” he says flashing me a candid smile then speaks again “will you excuse me for a bit? I need to go to the rest room” before I know it –heck, before I could even protest- he is gone and I am alone.

 

Now I am torn between staying where I am or getting lost in this ocean looking for Kris.

 

I sigh deeply taking a sip of my drink to calm my nerves; Look at the bright side, you handled talking to a lot of big bosses last week this should be easy as –“Correct me if I am wrong…” a voice cuts me off from my thoughts, I turn around and there standing before me was a woman smiling at me wearing quite a daring outfit. I swallow hard as she finishes her sentence, “You’re Wu Hana, right?”

 

I stared at the woman for a good five seconds before I mentally slapped myself to realize that it was rude to stare and immediately flashed a smile at her, nodding I answer “Yes, yes I am… I’m sorry, I don’t believe we’ve met before; you are…?”

 

“Vanessa” she extends out a hand for me to shake which I take, “it’s nice to meet you, Vanessa”

 

“So…” she scans me from top to bottom and smiles broadly “You’re the it girl that everyone is talking about, I must say that you are quite fascinating in person”

 

I was completely dumbfounded at the moment as to who this girl was or why the heck she was talking to me but considering that a number of people have reminded time and time again tonight as to how I’m known I guess that like everyone else I will be meeting later on, this must have something to do with business; Partnership, if I should be specific.

 


 

Kris stood motionless beside Yixing as they occupied the balcony leaving the bustling chatter behind the glass windows while they helped themselves with some wine and the cold evening breeze. Yixing seldom asks for chatters with of such urgency so whenever Yixing does, Kris knows that its importance is not questionable and he had proven it so upon the acceptance of the request.

 

“They’ve met, huh?” Kris sips on his wine. Yixing nods his head and takes a sip from his glass too, he mentally apologizes to Hana for speaking of the matter to her husband without her knowledge but for the record, he did not know that Kris had not yet been informed so he we pretty surprised himself when the chairman had suddenly fallen into antagonizing silence after he spoke of the said news. Although, it wasn’t like Hana had forbid any of them to tell him so and besides it was crucial and utmost important that Kris has knowledge of it.

 

Kris takes a deep breath “I guess we’ll have to do something about that”

 

Yixing quietly observes from the side how his friend’s face had suddenly turned callous; it was a look that he had long forgotten ever since the appearance of Hana into their lives. Yixing doesn’t mind it –maybe in the past, he didn’t but apparently this certain callosity that Kris was currently emitting was something different… almost menacing. The bad kind to be exact and he’s not exactly keen as to what the chairman means by doing something about it.

 

“What are you thinking?” but Yixing was just far too curious for his own good.

 

“For now, I just want to make sure that my family stays out of whatever mess Cho is planning to make and Yixing I need your connections and everyone else’s, your only concern will be Hana and Aiden’s welfare” he orders and Yixing nods with a deep sigh, “Okay but please… please” he pleads “don’t do anything that might get you thrown into jail”

 

Kris rolls his eyes then excuses himself to get back inside and get back to his wife’s side. Left to be alone, Yixing decides to linger a little more outside and enjoy the view for himself; it has been awhile since he’s had some time for himself and opted to seize the given opportunity at the moment. He feels a little nervous with the recent happenings and fears that bad may become worse in due time but he’s hoping that it wouldn’t, there were just too many at the time that he can’t help but worry for his colleague.

 

Kris who has always kept so much to himself, Kris who seldom shares his problems with them, Kris who never fails to keep a stoic expression thus making him barely to unreadable, Kris who always tells him that he’s fine, that he can handle it, that there’s no problem; sometimes, Yixing wants to beg him to share the burdens because it’s the man’s way of being so self-kept that makes Yixing feel like he’s a bad a friend, a useless and inconsiderate man who can’t empathize.

 

“There you are” came a familiar voice and as Yixing turned his head, he sees Tao sliding the door closed and muffles the noise again. He smiles at his friend and turns his attention back to view, “where’s Kris?’ he inquires while looking around “He went back inside, saying something about Hana?” Yixing answers and Tao shakes his head.

 

“He really loves her, doesn’t he?” Yixing comments with a smile and Tao laughs “Obviously, he does… why the sudden reverential, Yixing?”

 

Yixing finishes off the remnants of his wine before setting the empty glass atop of the balustrade “It scares me to think of what he would do for her, Tao… nothing is scarier than a powerful man in love”

 

“Don’t powerful men usually fall weak when they are inlove?” Tao quips with an arched brow, Yixing shrugs “Some do, some don’t… I believe Kris isn’t; to think that he knows that his brother has met his wife and we know that Kyuhyun is bad news, should he meddle with Hana I don’t think Kris will be able to hold himself back”

 

Tao swallows hard and takes a deep breath “Let’s just hope he doesn’t kill the guy”

 

“Why don’t we just avoid it, really? I mean, prevention is better than a cure and knowing Kris, he has every reason to kill that man” he suggests and Tao nods his head in agreement “Right. So, I guess we’ll just have to keep Hana safe?”

 

“Exactly.”

 


 

Kris was quite surprised to find his wife laughing at a table as she conversed with a female, he took note of how daring her outfit was but could care any less about it as he was too concerned over Hana to even bother. As soon as he spot her, he immediately marches towards her and takes his place right beside her with his hand landing on her lower back, “I’ve been looking all over for you” he says as soon as their eyes meet.

 

“Chanyeol left me here a while ago… oh! By the way, this is Vanessa from Wei Industries” she introduces the female to her husband and Kris’s ear had perked at the mention of the familiar last name that was named on the company; however, he found it albeit strange that he female showed him no such familiarity even as they shook hands. Wasn’t she supposed to give him some kind of knowing look because of the debt? Wasn’t she the Ms. Wei that had been endlessly trying to get him to meet up?

 

Then again, there are a number of businessmen and women who possessed the last name.

 

“Wow, seeing you both in person together is a hundred times better than in a magazine” she laughs heartily and Hana does the same “I was a little awkward during the magazine shoots, I was not born to be a model” “Au contraire, your photographs are worth the heavens” Kris compliments causing his wife to blush and the woman before them to go in complete awe at such affection.

 

Hana found it a little strange as to why her husband was being extra affectionate today but she wasn’t complaining, it was rare for Kris to show this much even when they’re alone so she was going to bask in this moment even though it meant that she would have to fluster every single time he says something sweet.

 

“Anyway, it’s nice to have finally met you Mr. Wu; I believe we have business to discuss?” and there it was, that last sentence that made Kris’s guard go on full and alert. He was right; she was the woman who had been insisting that they meet.

 

“Right,” Kris agrees “but I believe tonight is not the venue for such a discussion, I do apologize if I had to reject the appointments you’ve made but rest assured one will be settled this week where we can thoroughly talk about what needs to be done”

 

Vanessa nods her head, “I do appreciate it, Mr. Wu; well, I will be seeing you both around tonight as I also have other people to meet… it was very nice meeting you, Hana” the two shake hands one last time and Vanessa walks off, disappearing into the crowd of people once more. “That was nice” Hana smiles turning to her husband and Kris does the same, he nods in agreement “It seems like you’re doing fine without me…?” “Not true” she chuckles “she just happened to be one of those people that one can easily talk to”

 

Kris doubts it, he really does. There was something about that woman that just didn’t feel right but for the sake of risking an argument he just nods his head “whatever you say, Hana”

 

The night slowly grew old and by now, Kris had introduced his wife to everyone that he knew personally thus getting her involved in business discussions aswell. He had given her every insight she needed about a person and she was thankful for it because it had lowered the probabilities of her saying something stupid infront of the elites. By the time that dinner was served, the couple was reunited with Joonmyeon and the rest.

 

“Well, well, well, looks like someone is doing an impressive job tonight” Minseok smiles smugly from across the table as he wiggles his brows at Hana after Kris announces to them how well she had carried herself tonight “Lucky, Xiumin” she informs with a smile, cutting another piece of meat and puts it into . “You’re too humble” Kris rolls his eyes at his wife bringing laughter to the table. In the background, the music slowly turns into something sweet thus Kris turns to his wife and invites her to dance seeing as she had been long done with her meal and so was he.

 

The table erupts into mixed reactions –Tao rolls his eyes and shakes his head, Suho was trying hard to contain his glee and so was Lay while Chanyeol and Minseok snorted side comments; all of which Kris had ignored and pulled Hana along to the dance floor.

 

“Is it just me or is Kris extra affectionate today?” Minseok questions to no one in particular as he watches the couple take their place in the middle of the dance floor, “It’s kind of scary to see Kris this way” Lay comments swallowing hard.

 

“You know what’s scary?” Chanyeol quips as he waves over a waiter and takes a glass of champagne, “what?” Suho asks him and for a moment he stays quiet with his eyes fixated on the couple dancing before them, with a smirk he speaks “Kris Wu madly in love”

 

“Ah but there is something scarier” Xiumin protests with a gleam in his eyes and everyone turns to him “Kris Wu getting provoked”

 

KRIS

 

“You didn’t tell me…” I blurt out; Hana looks at me in confusion for a moment as her large brown orbs stare back into mine as if she’ll find the answers to what I meant “What do you mean?” she tilts her head to the side. I give her a quick dip backwards which takes her by surprise as her grasp on my shoulder tightens for a split second before she is flushed against my chest once more “that you met Kyuhyun” I answer and her eyes widen all of a sudden.

 

Hana was silent as she racked her brain for anything to say but when failed to do so and fear slowly crept onto her, I decided to drop my expectation of an explanation and sigh to the side “He’s not someone I would like you to get acquainted with, Hana”

 

“You didn’t tell me he was your bro –” “He’s not my brother” I cut her off before she could finish the sentence.

 

No. I was in no way to be related to that spawn of the devil, he is a heartless and ungrateful man, he was not a brother of mine for he, himself, had declared so when he walked up to my mother and shunned her in despair. It could’ve been better, it should’ve been but he chose to go the other direction; of all the people that have hurt my mother, he was the most unforgivable one along with his father.

 

Hana purses her lips together; I take a deep breath “I’m assuming that the guys have already told you something about him so I don’t need to further explain it and I know I can’t control the tides at the moment because my grandmother is obviously up to something for you but please… just steer clear of him whenever possible”

 

“I doubt that”

 

A chuckle from behind cuts me off of my thoughts then a tap on the shoulder makes me turn around and it was like seeing my worst nightmare come to life. There he was, standing in a fine custom-made suit flexing a smile on his face “Long time, no see… little brother”

 

Cho ing Kyuhyun and beside him stood Vanessa Wei.