What Dreams Do to You

Among the Clouds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Today had been a rough day at work. Well, everyday was a rough day. I sat my myself down on my bed, loosening my tie. I sighed and took my calendar in my hands. 

  "480 days," I whispered to myself and drew a bright red cross on the 22nd of December. How may days would it take for me to forget? I don't know. 

  I placed the red sharpie marker stained calendar down and held up a picture frame of her. 

  "It's your birthday tomorrow. Aren't you happy? But, I bought you cake to celebrate today! I'll visit you tomorrow," I smiled at her wide grin in the picture and placed the frame down, "I bought four slices of different flavoured cheesecake. I'm very sure you'd love it. You love cheesecake after all." I gazed into her dark chocolate brown orbs; the sheen of the plastic panel of the photo frame almost made her eyes shine. I stood with a moan and reached for the beautifully decorated box. The cakes were beautiful. I knew she would be delighted. 

  "You know, I got this from a famous patisserie shop across my office. They're extremely hard to get. But, they're worth it for you." I said as I took them out carefully, lighting the candles on each of them. For a second, I thought I heard her giggle. He knew he was only imagining. When the 21th candles came a lit, they were the only light source in the room. In that moment, they had beaten the sliver of moonlight coming from the window. 

  I watched the flames burn with grandiose like the chandelier of a grand ballroom and when I closed my eyes for a second, the imprint of them stayed in my vision. I began to sing and when I'm done, I blew the candles out. I hoped she made a good wish. I the light switch and the lights flickered to life. 

  "Happy 21st Birthday, you're finally as old as me!" 

  I chuckled at my own comment and caressed her face in the frame. I miss her. 

  So much. 

  "Well, cake time!" I dug my fork in and finished them all on behalf of her. She never liked people to waste food. "People are starving in Africa!" she would say. I could only chuckle at that memory and yearn for her sweet melodic voice. 

  God, I miss her so much. 

  I got up and cleaned the dishes, humming her favourite song as I did so. I huffed with pride at my clean dishes and took a shower before tumbling into bed. The ache of my shoulders from work began to resonate in my body, disturbing my mind from reaching slumber. I took her picture in my arms and cradled her like I used to. But, all I felt was the coolness of the metal frame. "Sleep," I told myself "Sleep," and as if it was a command button; my heavy eye-lids drooped and I fell into a dream. 

 

 Fog masks his vision as he squints around. Kyungsoo cannot be certain of where he is. The white nothingness seals his vision almost like going into a cave without a torch. 

 "Hello?" He cries out, his throat feeling dry, "Anyone there?" His heart is picking speed and beginning to race, as nervousness courses through his veins. He tries to shout but his voice felt trapped, going nothing further than a mere whispered. It's cold where he is and his white button down and black pants are not enough to keep him from the cold. He shivers and jerks, rubbing friction to his hands and wishing they would spark up a fire. He is scared and alone in this white misty clearing. He knows he's standing on a road for there was concrete below his bare feet. 

  Where in the world is he? 

  The fog began to clear and images begin to reflect into his eyes with the laws of light. He absorbs in the soft pink of the cherry blossom trees and the slopping black tar of the road. He knows where he is. 

  Somewhere he wishes he isn't in. 

  "Hello?" he cries out again in futile help. He stops rubbing his hands as his surroundings began to heat up like an oven being turned up. The weather felt like... 

  Spring. 

  The air is fresh and crisp of a clear early morning. He takes a deep breath of it. 

  Is this a dream? 

  Kyungsoo doesn't move, not really sure why he is afraid of doing so. But, he remains stagnant in his stop in the middle of the sloping roadway to his old high school. The misty white continues to clear and things in his surroundings become vivid in his vision, as so with the figure climbing up the hill. "A person!" his mind cries in rejoice. He waves with all his might and shouts excitedly at dark figure. 

  However, he starts to frown and his eyebrows begin to knit together. The person isn't answering at all! In fact, he or she is ignoring him. 

  Why? Maybe he or she can't see him. Then, where is he? 

  As endless questions formed in his head, the fog had cleared completely, revealing a girl in his high school uniform. He gapes and his dark eyes widens in fear and disbelief. He stumbles back, almost falling to his feet. The tar road scratches at his soles and yet he feels no pain.

  No pain?

  The girl sees him and smiles. She  pushes a stray strand of hair behind her ear. He freezes at his spot; tears are threatening to fall.

  No. He doesn't cry.

  But he crouches to his feet ad curls himself into a ball.

  No.

  "Kyungsoo?" He hears her voice; the voice he has longed for so long. Three years to be exact.

  Is reality playing with him?

  Where is he?

  He looks up to see her face right before his. The colours of the universe has muted to a soft shades of grey and she holds the colours of the world in her eyes. His

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter