Rain

Rain

  We were just ten years old when we first met. He just moved here from L.A. Guess what? It’s raining and I’m on my way back to my house and he was standing there, in front of the gate without moving an inch. He was drenched, totally. Not to mention he was holding his robot toys in his hand while his gaze his own shoes. Me? Of course I’m under my own umbrella. It’s raining monsoon in Taiwan.

  So I approached him, and offer my umbrella. I guess he realized that the rain stop hitting him so he looks up. It was the first time I saw his face properly. He’s cute pointy nose, and those quiver lips, quivering from cold and it makes him looks even cuter. His brown orbs were staring at me. I think I blushed when he did that. I don’t usually that kind of friendly type of girl. But I guess I took pity on him, for standing alone outside in the rain.

  Our mother ushered us in. He reluctantly followed. His mother apologized to us, saying that he didn’t talk much. He still misses his home back in L.A. He was quiet at first. Well, I’m kind of silence type as well so basically we just communicate by eyes, which our mothers found it’s funny. That was the day I learn his name. Mark. His name is Mark Tuan…

  We become pretty close over time. That’s when I learn who Mark really was. He only talked to someone he grew comfortable with and seldom pay attention to other things around him. He loves spending some times with skate boarding and of course dancing. He loves doing that. He makes me smile easily with his goofy smiles. Yeah, we share a lot of things together considered that we’re at the same age.

  Seven years of being as his best friend, he asked me out. No more friends… but lovers. Our parents were the happiest people alive when we told them that we were dating. I think that was the happiest day of my life. I remember that day. I was avoiding him. I was upset. He totally forgot my birthday or so I thought he was. It was on May 05. My father use to tell me that the day I was born, the rain had welcomed me into this world, as if giving me a blessing for being born.

  But he totally ruined that. We’re throwing a small gathering for the birthday party but he excused himself, saying that he had another errand that he needs to take care off. I was pissed and I practically ignored him for the whole day. And guess what? It’s raining. Perfect time! For the first time, I hate the rain and I hate him for forgetting his promise. His promises that he’ll be celebrating my birthday until I turn 100 years old like my great grandmother. I know… silly right? We’re just ten back then when I had my birthday.

  But that’s not the case right now…

  He chased me, totally ignoring the rain and left his stuff back at school. He caught me, trying to talk sense out of me. I think I shout way too much, but hey I caught him laughing his off at me, and then his signature smile. That goofy smile…

  “Gotcha…” I was in daze until I realized what I just said to him. A fifteen years old girl just confusedly confessed blindly when she was angry.

  And Mark caught me. I don’t remember how or when I begin to like him. I don’t know. Maybe when we’re just lying around on the roof counting stars together? Or maybe because of his goofy smiles that got me addicted? I don’t know. But I have learned to like him ever since then.

  His confession under the rain was just perfect. I know it’s just simply “I like you too, Claire,” but that was enough. At least I know he likes me back. And the so-called errand was actually just him building up that thing behind our house. The gazebo. I was dumbstruck by his idea of giving me a surprise present for my birthday.

  I kept on commenting about the gazebo for weeks until I learned what it was for.

  “A gazebo? Really? What were you thinking off Mark” I looked at him, with my unfazed face.

  He chuckled, before taking me into his arms. “It’s going to be a perfect place to get married…”

  I froze under his arms. I remember looking at him, with my eyes turn wide. I thought he was joking with me. Knowing Mark, he loves teasing and plays some nasty jokes with me. But nothing. He looks so serious that night. He let go of me, before he took something out from his left pocket and kneel down before me. “Clary… would you like to be my wife?”

  I just stood there, as the silences fill the air. Did he just? It took me awhile to answer his question. “B-but Mark…we’re just seventeen. We didn’t even finish high school yet,”

  “I know. But I want us to get married as soon as possible,” he stand before me, taking my hand. “Please say yes Clary,” his face was weary. I could see that something was troubling him from the very start. He was hiding something.

  “Tell me the truth Mark. Did something happen?”

  “I’m leaving Clary. Papa is sending me off. I want something that can tie me with you… I don’t want to lose you to someone else…” his words touched my heart. He was so afraid that I’m going to forget about him when he was away from me.

  I know the fact that he’s leaving. His father is sending him back to L.A to further his studies. But I thought that he’s going to leave after us graduating from high school. Not this…fast.

  “Mark… you know how I feel about you,” my right hand reach his cheek, and caressing his. “I love you. Always…” it was like an oath, saying what I truly meant. I love him. I love Mark more than anything.

He grinned. “I’m taking that as a yes then,” I was practically rolling my eyes off, with an annoyed expression on my face but it didn’t cease the over bundle happiness within us both.

  “Oh!” the first rain drop fell on the ring before he put it on my finger. We both look up before we end up looking at each other. “Rain…” before we both end up laughing. The monsoon was alive that night, chiding along with our happiness.  

  The Tuan was so happy when they heard the news, but mine weren’t. We’re too young, they said. Sure they want us to be together but my parents wanted me to finish high school at least before getting married. But Mark managed to sort things out. They give their blessing.

  As it turns out, I found out why he wanted to get married off early. He’ll be leaving for summer school before starting his high school in L.A. I was devastated, but Mark was always there to comfort me. It’s going to be a while but when I’ve graduated, I’m going to L.A to be with him. He promised me that. And I hold that word of him…

  The wedding was simple. Just between the family… and under the gazebo like he wanted. Ugh… don’t cringe. I’m cringing more than you did with his cuteness when he talk me out for this. We held traditional Chinese wedding, because of his grandma’s request. But we didn’t mind. At least we got what we wanted… together at last…

  A week after the wedding, he left for L.A. I cried so much that day, thinking that he’ll be away for at least a year and a half. He promised to call whenever he could. He warns me not to get close to other males. I’m his now, and I should remember that. I really want to slap him but all I could do was chocking on my own tears. That’s him. That’s Mark, my husband…

  I remember his last hug. It was warm, but also cold at the same time. I felt like I’m losing him. Those words that he said…those promise… its all gone cold…

  I really did lose him…

  I laughed at myself. Five years… five years has passed… the same monsoon had arrived… and him too… had come home.

  Five years of disappeared… Mark Tuan comes back, asking for a divorce...