CHAPTER 1

The Love Project

The strong smell of perfume coming from her best friend made Choi Hyu Bin's head pound. And the more her pile of assignments seem to be growing every second, the worse her headache got.

 

Hyu Bin closed her eyes and massaged her temples. The university finally had the decency to ring the bell, signalling the end of today's lesson. Even the slightest of news is enough to make the students of Seoul University jumped up from their seats and rushed to get home.

 

Hyu Bin and her best friend, Park Hye Jin, took their own sweet time to descend the stairs while talking animatedly about plans for a study group this weekend.

 

"Teachers nowadays are so mean! They thought we are robot geniuses that can finish all assignments in just one day. Ugh!" Hye Jin vented out her anger, stomping her foot to emphasize her frustration.

 

Hyu Bin can only smile at her at her BFF's antics. What else can she do? She, too, agrees with Hye Jin. Teachers are just so annoying. That fact cannot be changed even in a thousand years. And yet, they said teachers exist to help students gain knowledge. Pft. What a lie.

 

Hyu Bin turned to her best friend, squinting under the blinding rays of sunlight, "You know, Baekhyun is not all that bad. He is quite cute - if you look closely enough. And he is nice too. So the fact that you rejected him whole-heartedly without thinking over the confession, is mean," she said.

 

Hye Jin's face turns into a frown upon hearing Hyu Bin's statement, "Mean, you said? Is being rejected kindly be considered as mean? I don't know that. Besides, I have no time to think over such a stupid matter," she said, scoffing while saying so.

 

Byun Baekhyun, the nerdiest nerd in this whole university, has a big crush on Hye Jin. And he cannot hide it well. Their first meeting in the library that Hye Jin thought of as a new friendship immediately turned into something else.

 

Hatred.

 

His desperate need for her is so-o-o obvious that Hyu Bin cannot stand it anymore and encouraged him to confess to her. To try and take risks. And he did it. Only to be faced with with disappointment.

 

Hyu Bin just cannot understand her best friend. What's so bad about him? He's quite good looking - only if he gets rid of his big glasses. And to top it all off, she is being asked out. Like, how much more luckiness does she want? Hyu Bin doesn't even has a single guy confessing to her. Let alone like her. So she really thought that her best friend's action is beyond horrible.

 

"Hey, chill. I was only suggesting my own preference. You know I am not deliberately doing that to make you fall in love with him right? I mean, come on!" she tried to persuade Hye Jin.

 

As a result, Hye Jin gave her a stop-all-this-acting look, "Choi Hyu Bin. You may be my greatest friend ever, but you still have your limits. Don't bother my own life. Bother about yours instead," she innocently stated.

 

Hyu Bin bursts out laughing, her body shaking so much that she has to take a couple of minutes to calm  down. What is she thinking? Bother about her life? What's there to bother about?

 

"Park Hye Jin. You trying to be funny here? I mean, my life hasn't been ruined . You see, I really think the problem here is you," she said, chuckling to herself.

 

In the end, Hye Jin admits lose, "Ugh. Fine, you win. But, don't ever think this is the end of it. You will get it back from me later," she said and stormed off to the parking lot, leaving Hyu Bin alone.

 

She shook her head at their silly "fight" and cannot help but to laugh again, earning her a few weird looks from the passerbys. After calming herself down, she took a seat at the bus station and there, she waited for her bus.

 

It finally arrived after she has to wait for almost one hour, fully packed - much to her annoyance.

 

She frowns upon seeing the unpleasant sight. Dejectedly, she forced herself to climb into the crammed bus. And after much difficulty, it finally drove off. Luckily for her, many of the passengers alight at the next stop and it leaves enough space for her alone.

 

She finall chose to stand beside a man who is wearing blue-and-white striped hoodie, since all seats have been occupied. She stood at the same  spot for a few looong minutes until her legs are about to burn from exhaustion for standing for so long. She massaged her thighs, hoping that the cramps just won't attack right this second.

 

"You know, it is not healthy for a woman touch her legs out of nowhere," a deep gruff voice spoke out, startling her.

 

She stood upright, immediately stopping her actions. She looked around to search for the source of voice. Somehow, it sounded strangely close. Like it was coming from right beside her...