Gary Oppa

She is not my dongsaeng

Athuor's note : Seems there were a few questions about why Ji Hyo addresses Gary as hyungnim instead of Oppa. My apologies for the confusions. Looks my story wasn't properly laid and structured leading to all these confusions.

Thanks to isthemoon who helps to clear the doubts. Yes, "Gary hyungnim" is part of the plot. You can actually see that Ji Hyo does address Haha as oppa but to Gary, she calls him 'hyungnim'.

To avoid spreading the confusions, I had wrote a short chapter to clarify these doubts. Hopefully, your questions about 'hyungnim' and 'oppa' are answered. 

Thank you for the comments, am glad that so far I am seeing positive comments about this story. Positive or negative comments, these will keep me going.

A big THANK YOU again.


“Ji Hyo Eonni, why did you always address Gary oppa as hyungnim.” Min Jung asked as they were having breakfast at the hotel before leaving for airport to fly back to Seoul.

The 2 days filming in Bangkok had finally ended. It was time to head back to Seoul.

“Min Jung ar…you know…these members.” Ji Hyo pointed at the Running Man members. “They never treat me as a woman.”

“How can you call Ji Hyo noona a woman? She is much stronger than most of the men here.” Kwang Soo came over with his plate piling with pancakes and waffles.

“I totally agree. Miss Mong can easily defeat any of the men here, perhaps not Jong Kok. But the rest of us can’t hold a candle to her.” Jaesuk nodded in agreement. “But to me, she is still a woman and a pretty one.” Jaesuk continued to say.

“Jaesuk oppa, thank you.” Ji Hyo smiled shyly.   

“Ji Hyo, coffee.” Gary sat next to Ji Hyo. “1 cube of sugar?” Gary put the sugar in Ji Hyo’s cup and stirred the coffee for her before waiting for Ji Hyo to answer.

“These men, especially Kang Gary and Jong Kok. I always address them as hyungnim as they seldom or rather never treat me as a woman.” Ji Hyo took a piece of waffle from Kwang Soo’s plate.

“Ji Hyo, eat slowly. The waffle will taste better with maple syrup and butter.” Gary spread the syrup and butter on Ji Hyo’s waffle. “OK, ready to eat. Do you want me to cut it into smaller pieces for you?” Gary asked.

“No no, Gary hyungnim, I can do it myself.” While eating the hash brown on her plate, Ji Hyo was already eyeing on the waffle. She gulped down the coffee and was about to pig on the waffle.

“Look at her. Which part of her look like a woman.” Jong Kok made fun of Ji Hyo.

"Really? But I thought Gary oppa takes very good care of Ji Hyo eonni. Coffee, waffles... and another coffee again.." Min Jung had been observing the happenings between the Monday Couple for the past two days. 

"He takes care of me like a dongsaeng, like a little brother. This is what he always say. Min Jung, this waffle taste good, want some?." Ji Hyo tried to switch the topic. She snatched another 2 pieces of waffle from Kwang Soo's plate for Min Jung and herself.

"Ji Hyo noona, go and get your own!" Kwang Soo whined.

Gary kept quiet as he poured another cup of coffee for Ji Hyo. He was disappointed that Ji Hyo was still addressing him as hyunghim when the cameras were off. Gary thought that after what happened for the past 2 days, he had captured Ji Hyo’s heart. But seems he was wrong.

“Perhaps I need to put in more efforts to make Ji Hyo fall for me.” Gary thought.

Flashback

Gary waited patiently at the lift lobby. It was 6:30 am, Ji Hyo had totally waken up. She changed back to her clothes and ran down to the receptionist to get the spare key for her room. Ji Hyo was only gone for 5 minutes, but to Gary, it was like hours.

Gary grinned when he saw Ji Hyo coming out of the lift.

“Got the keys?” Gary asked.

Ji Hyo nodded. “Gary hyungnim, thank you for taking care of me last night.” Ji Hyo bowed.

“Let me walk you back to your room.” Gary offered. Ji Hyo’s room was at the end of the aisle.

“Hyungnim, my room is just a minute's’ walk away.  I can manage myself.” Ji Hyo was still feeling embarrassed for what had happened in Gary’s room.

“Ji Hyo ar…can I ask you for a small favour?” Gary asked.

“Why?” Ji Hyo tried to avoid Gary’s eyes.

“Can you stop calling me hyungnim? I am not your hyungnim. I am your…your oppa.” Gary was blushing when he said these.

The two of them stopped right infront of Ji Hyo’s room. “Alright. Hyun….op…op…oppa.” Ji Hyo suddenly found herself tongue tight. “Oh…this is so awkward.” Ji Hyo covered and laughed.

 “Ji Hyo ar….is GARY OPPA. Repeat after me, GARY OPPA.” Gary held one of Ji Hyo’s hands into his. “Gary oppa.” He repeated himself again with a poker face.

“Gary Oppa.” Ji Hyo pronounced the 2 words hard like this is the first time she learns how to speak Korean.

“Yes, good, Gary Oppa.” Gary said that again, this time holding both Ji Hyo’s hands into his and looking into Ji Hyo’s eyes.

“Gary oppa.” Ji Hyo whispered Gary’s name this time. Her face is now as red as an apple.

“Fix the camera here.” It was the voice of the running man crew coming from the lift lobby.

“, someone is coming. Oppa, I think we better go back to our rooms.” Ji Hyo panicked, she pulled her hands out from Gary’s immediately.

“Ji Hyo, see you later.” Gary pecked a kiss on Ji Hyo’s cheeks before he ran back to his room, grinning, smiling and beaming. 

The filming for the rest of the day was like a breeze to Gary.

End of flashback

“How can she forgets what she promised? She should call me oppa.” Gary started to get mad by the time the crew and members reached the Bangkok airport.

“Gary hyungnim, what is your seat number?” Ji Hyo asked as they were boarding the plane.

“Song Ji Hyo…..”Gary walked closer to Ji Hyo and pulled her towards him. “GARY OPPA. Remember? GARY OPPA.” Gary breathed these words into Ji Hyo’s ears. The next second, Gary released Ji Hyo and increased his pace to walk with Haha and Jaesuk.

Ji Hyo hesitated and got a shock by Gary’s reaction.  But soon, she also quicken her pace to catch up with the members.

“Gary OPPA., what is your seat number?” Ji Hyo shouted.

There were lights shining in Gary’s eyes even when his eyes had become a thin line as he beamed widely after hearing Ji Hyo’s “Gary oppa”.