Part 1

Where The Fairies Dance

Hongbin had always been able to see it. He saw the mist building in the fields, but he also saw the creatures dancing in it. Their long hair flowing as they threw their bodies around in a circle. When he was younger he was intrigued to walk into the field outside their house. His mother would always stop him before he got too the door. She wore a warm smile as she crouched down to look him in the eyes.

“The Fairies are dancing out there now sweetie. You cannot go to them, they would take you away from me and we wouldn’t like that would we?” She said in a soft voice and Hongbin would look at her with big eyes. She saw them too right? So he would believe her. He didn’t want to be separated with his mom.

Hongbin believed that his mother also could see the fairies but when he was older he learned that this was just stories she had heard when she was younger from her mother and she only used it to keep him from going out and play in the field when it was getting dark.

 


★☆★





Hongbin was sitting on the hard seats of the school bus, his eyes glued to the forest that was passing by outside his window. Besides him sat his best friend who was half asleep with the raven colored hair falling over his eyes as his head hung forward.

“Taekwoon, your neck is going to kill you if you sleep like that.” Hongbin said as he poked his arm. Taekwoon mumbled in his sleep and he opened his eyes lazily and glared at him.

“Spare your glares until we arrive at Hackyeon’s place.” Hongbin said, his mouth opened wide as he yawned. He can’t believe Hackyeon had invited his whole class to his house (Well it was more like a mansion) and take them hiking in the mountains as their last class trip before graduation.

He had decided this as Taekwoon had refused to come and visit him. Taekwoon sighed and placed his head back against the headrest.

“If you gone and visited him for a day or two we could have avoided this” Hongbin sighed, Taekwoon moved his hand and jabbed him in his ribs. Hongbin jumped and frowned at the other as he pushed his hand away.

He didn’t continue his one sided conversation instead he continued to stare out the window. Hongbin was used to these conversations and it may seem weird to some but it was comfortable. He understood Taekwoon very well in his silence and he would spare his words to when he really needed them.

The bus turned up on the driveway to Hackyeon’s house, it was a long narrow road going slightly uphill. It was rough as the bus jumped back and forth.

As they almost reached the top and you could clearly see the mansion, Hongbin looked out the window. There was a huge meadow besides the house and mist has slowly started entering it and from the woods they entered.

You could almost mistake them for real people, but there was a certain glow that lit them up. Hongbin knew that no one else on this bus could see them. And that was another reason why he knew. They weren’t human.

In the circle there always only females, but this time something was different. Hongbin’s eyes grew wide as he stared. Short blonde hair, white shirt with loose fitting white pants, he twisted his body as he danced around in the circle. He had Hongbin spellbound within seconds. And for the first time since he was a little kid he wanted to jump of the bus and join them.

“Something caught your attention?” Taekwoon’s soft voice broke him from his trance. He shook his head slightly before turning to face his friend.

Hongbin laughed nervously and the other raised a brow at him “It’s just so beautiful” he quickly came up with a small lie as he smiled at his friend.

“The way the sun sets over the forest and how the mist dances over the field.”

Taekwoon chuckled softly.

“It certainly is magical”

“My mother used to tell me when I was little that when the mist was out on a field it was because the fairies were dancing” Hongbin explained with a small smile “I like to imagine it sometimes”

“That’s new. Where did that story come from?” Taekwoon asked his eyes hinting just a bit of curiosity.

“I don’t know. My mother never told me.” Hongbin chuckled softly as he looked out the window with a small smile. His eyes immediately went to the man dancing around, Hongbin observed every move he made as he was drawn in again.



The bus stopped and he was pulled out of his thoughts once again, Hongbin sighed lightly as he stood up taking his bag that was safely stored under his seat. He walked out of the bus after Taekwoon and the two of them was immediately pulled into a bone-crushing hug.

“Taekwoon and Hongbin! Ah, I’m so happy you both made it here safely” Hackyeon shouted as he swirled around with Taekwoon and Hongbin stumbling after him.

“H-Hackyeon, we aren’t the only ones here” Hongbin hushed as he pulled out of Hackyeon’s crushing grip. The older backed away and looked around at the confused faces of the rest of the class.

“Aha, Sorry! I just got carried away!” Hackyeon laughed as he smiled brightly at the school kids.

“Well then let’s get you all settled in! Follow me kids!” He said cheerfully as he walked towards the mansion.

Hongbin sighed and looked at Taekwoon. The raven hair just smiled softly at him as he walked after the gray haired man that was talking to their teachers about something.

 


★☆★





Hackyeon provided everyone a separate room except for Taekwoon and Hongbin. Because all the rooms were occupied. Which both Taekwoon and Hongbin knew was not a big fat lie.

“Liar.” Taekwoon growled silently as they entered Hackyeon’s huge bedroom. Hongbin chuckled softly as he placed his bag on the floor.

The two of them would complain too Hackyeon a lot, Hongbin in particular. But it never bothered the older man and at times they did give him lots of love too. Which they knew he deserved for being such a amazing friend.

As they made themselves comfortable in Hackyeon’s room, Hongbin sat himself down in one of the large windows in the room. The windowsills broad had a soft cushion and the window was filled with pillows.

Hackyeon had learned one of the first times Hongbin came to visit he liked sitting in the window so he took the time to fix it up making it more comfortable for the younger.

Hongbin stared out over the field the fairies were long gone and so was the mist. But there in the middle of the field was a small ring of white mushrooms. He smiled as he looked over it. Fairies would sometimes leave a trace after their dance. Always in a ring, people didn’t care for it since science had explained it.

To Hongbin these circles meant everything, it was some sort of proof for him to know he was not crazy. That there wasn’t anything wrong with it, he had witnessed how they grew as they where dancing and he knew.

“Hongbin.” Hackyeon called softly and Hongbin turned his head to see him holding out a cup of hot chocolate.

“Why not coffee?” Hongbin asked as he looked at the older.

“This evening is just screaming for some hot chocolate right Leo?” Hongbin chuckled at the nickname Hackyeon had given Taekwoon many years back, when they were all quite young and Hackyeon thought he needed a new name. And so Leo was invented for him and it just stuck with him over the years.

“I wanted coffee.” Taekwoon stated and continued to sip on the hot beverage. Hongbin shook his head a little and Hackyeon grinned brightly.

Hongbin once again turned his eyes to the meadow outside though he knew he wouldn’t see anything, he still couldn’t help himself.

“Something always seems to catch your eyes.” Hackyeon said as he seated himself in the window opposite of Hongbin. He looked at the older with a small smile.

“You can borrow them for a day if you want.” Hongbin joked with a bright smile and the other laughed at him.

“I think I’ll pass.” He said with a small smile “You know… I believe that no person can see the world as another. We all look upon the world with different eyes.” Hackyeon said and Hongbin looked at him.

“I get this feeling. That the world you see is a scary one. Your just like a cat, you stare into empty spaces and I can feel my heartbeat speed up. Because I know that cat and I trust him well and he is staring so intensely at something. It’s freaky, but at the same time. I think how you look at the world must also be very beautiful. But I rather not find out” Hackyeon looked straight into Hongbin’s eyes and it kind of freaked him out how the other seemed to read everything so well.

“I like the way you look at people. It must be fun trying to imagine it” Hongbin said happily and Hackyeon chuckled.

Taekwoon had lied down on the bed and with a loud yawn drawn the attention to the other two.

“I guess it’s time we go bed” Hackyeon exclaimed as he pushed himself from the windowsill.

 


★☆★





They had stayed at Hackyeon’s house for four days now and were leaving later that afternoon. The previous days had been filled with hiking, kayaking and other activities that Hackyeon managed to get fixed (Hongbin seriously wondered how he had managed).

Hongbin was once again found sitting on the windowsill looking out over the meadow. The mist had started to creep out onto it.

Hongbin sighed heavily, they were leaving in three hours and so many of his classmates decided to go do one last event. Hongbin decided to stay at the house, he was so exhausted. He would probably need to stop in the middle of everything because he would be too tired to carry on.

Taekwoon decided to stay behind and keep Hongbin company and so did Hackyeon since he needed to organize their departure. Hackyeon was running around through the house checking all the rooms making sure nothing was left behind and that people had cleaned after themselves.

Hongbin looked out over the meadow as mist started to float over it again; he was surprised to see that only the one male had come out for a dance. Alone he danced around in a small circle, his body movements were like waves slowly creeping up the shore. He twisted and turned his body to a beat Hongbin couldn’t hear but he tried to imagine it. What beautiful tune the fairy must be dancing to.


A thought suddenly struck him. At first he tried to ignore it but felt himself fall deeper into it. He had always been drawn into the dances of the fairies but never like this. But he knows he can’t go to them. It would be all over if he did.

Somehow this time the thoughts didn’t stop and Hongbin sighed deeply. Taekwoon put down the book he was reading and looked at him.

“Something wrong?” he asked and Hongbin shook his head.

“Nah, it’s nothing. It’s just feeling a bit stuffy in here.” He sighed and looked over to Taekwoon who was sitting in a beanbag in the corner of the room.

“I’ll head out for a moment. I’ll be right back.” He said smiling softly at his friend raised an eyebrow as he left the room.
“Okay, see you soon.” Taekwoon lifted his book again and continued to read.

Hongbin walked out of the house, his feet steering him towards the field. He was walking on autopilot. He didn’t want to think about his decision, he was too curious. He couldn’t control himself anymore. He was already stuck in their spell.

As he walked up to the field he could hear the music in the background. The soft beating of drums and the flowing melody from the flutes. As he walked closer he could hear the low humming from the fairy as he danced, his eyes half closed as he twisted his body around. It seemed as he was flying as he took another step around and threw his arms around. It looked so controlled, so graceful but still so wild.

His blonde hair flew with the gentle breeze and the dancing. Tangling into the flowers he wore on his head. They were all in different colors but still seemed to be carefully chosen. His eyes were half open revealing his dark brown eyes. As he turned again his ears were exposed. They were pointy and golden rings bounced from his earlobes.

His body followed the rhythm of the music and Hongbin froze. He stood just meters away from him and that’s when he realized. He was caught in his spell, his body didn’t listen to anymore. He was completely frozen where he was standing.

“.” he whispered and lowered his head too look down at his feet as he tried to calm his hysterically beating heart and gather his thoughts. He couldn’t let himself be fooled by his tricks. It didn’t matter that he was super attractive on top on everything. He knew their tricks (Or so he thinks he does). He looked up to meet the fairies eyes filling himself with self-confidence.

The fairy continued to dance his eyes never leaving Hongbin’s and he came closer and closer. Reaching his hand forward and caressed his cheek softly. That’s when realization seemed to hit him as he stopped in his tracks and the music abruptly stopped.

“Can you see me?” he looked at Hongbin fear showing in his eyes.

“I’ve always been able to.” Hongbin answered as he tried to keep a neutral expression on his face.

“Impossible… I can’t-“the fairy spoke slowly and he lifted his hand from Hongbin’s face as he turned his hand over. In his palm dust started to sparkle and dance and it swirled upwards. Hongbin looked at it fascinated but before he could say anything the substance was blown in his face and everything went black as he hit the hard ground.

 


★☆★





Hongbins thoughts slowly returned to him and he relived his recent memories. Really if he wasn’t 100% sure that everything had actually happened it seemed like a dream or a very good movie. He groaned and he heard something rustling beside him.

“He’s waking up.” A voice whispered. It sounded like, Hackyeons? Hongbin was hit with a sudden headache as he tried to squeeze his eyes open.

“Hongbin? Hey man, how are you feeling?” Hongbin forced his eyes open to look at Hackyeon that was smiling softly at him. He was so damn close to his face. Hongbin mumbled something, he didn’t even know what he was trying to say as he lifted his hand and pushed Hackyeon away from his face.

“Ah, he seems fine!” a new voice that hadn’t even been with them at the mansion. Hongbin turned his head slightly to meet a blonde haired kid that was smiling brightly at him.

“Sanghyuk?” Hongbin whispered as he couldn’t really gather any strength yet.

“Yup! Who else?” he said cheerfully and Hongbin smiled a little as started to push himself into an upright position.

“Careful.” Taekwoon’s soft voice came from the opposite side from where Hackyeon was sitting and Hongbin turned his head to look at him and the raven haired man smiled softly at him as he helped Hongbin into a sitting position.

“What happened?” Hongbin asked as he looked around the room. He wasn’t in a hospital he could tell, it seemed to be one of the smaller rooms located in Hackyeon’s mansion.

“You tell us, we found you passed out in the field.” Hackyeon said with a concerned look on his face.

Hongbin sighed, he really can’t tell them what happened. It was a one-way ticket to become the crazy guy and locked up.

“I really don’t remember.” He lied and looked down on his hands. “I went out into the meadow but then, I really don’t seem to remember what I did that made me faint.” Hongbin laughed nervously as his friends listened to him.

“Told you we should’ve brought him to a hospital.”

 


★☆★





Hongbin looked at Taekwoon with a happy smile and hugged his friend.
“Hey! You finally made it! We graduated!” He said happily and the other smiled softly at him.

“It took you some time, Taekwoon!” Hackyeon said with a bright smile as they all sat around a table in the small apartment Taekwoon and Hongbin shared. Truthfully Taekwoon was older than Hongbin, but he never seemed make a big deal about being behind in class.

Well mostly because he had a huge car accident a couple years ago, which made him have to start in the same class as Hongbin that was two years younger. It was kind of weird in the beginning. To have someone older than you in class but Hongbin liked him from the beginning.

And that’s also how he met Hackyeon who had been in same class as Taekwoon before the accident. And thus their trio was created; well it didn’t stay a trio for that long.

“Ah! You are all so lucky I still have two years to go!” Sanghyuk complained as he stuffed his face with the snacks in front of him.

 


★☆★





Being alone at Hackyeon’s mansion was weird. Hongbin looked around as he placed his bag on the floor of the hallway. He was surprised to see that Hackyeon let him come before their planned party because he wanted to start preparing. Which was a lie

It’s been over six months since he saw that fairy and he had a lot of things to think about since then. He knew he was very attracted to the fairy and if his mind was ever going to calm down. He needed to do this.

He couldn’t leave it alone he had to talk to the fairy, he had to be with him and even if this world meant everything to him. He wanted to learn about the other world too.

He learned from a very young age to trust his gut and trust his heart and so these past months he had been thinking. Very hard about what he wanted to do and wanted with his life. So many questions in his head and no one from his world could ever answer them. So he knew whom he had to ask.

It had been quiet for the past days, no mist, no fairies, and no nothing. But that was fine. It let Hongbin take it easy and like he had told Hackyeon, prepare for the party.
It kept his mind occupied and not try to overthink his decision. But he had thought through this for many months and even now it was clear to him what he wanted.

Hongbin sighed as he looked around the mansion, it was huge. He chuckled as sat down in the TV room and switched on the television. He switched between the channels not finding anything to watch and finally he stopped on one of those sport channels. He spread out in the couch as he was watching some horse sport he guessed. They were jumping over trees and what not. It looked quite dangerous, he couldn’t quite figure out why they would even compete in that?

An hour later Hongbin was sitting up a huge glass of coca cola in front of him and his eyes glued to the television. It was still same horse competition on the television but this time they were indoors and they were jumping these huge jumps.

“Come on” Hongbin whispered as he looked at the screen intensely and as the bar fell to the ground he threw his hands up in a disappointed action. “DAMN! So close!” he exclaimed and went back to watching as the horse was galloping towards the last jump and the rider preparing herself and then they flew.

“Man, I never thought I would get so involved in a sport” he mumbled as the competition ended and Hongbin turned the television off. He sighed as he rested his head back against the couch.

It’s so lonely he thought as he sat there. He really felt so alone at that moment and he wished he had stayed with the others until they all left.

“I can’t regret that now” He laughed and stood up quickly from the couch. He needed to do something to tire himself out so he could go to sleep.

That’s when he heard it, the soft song that traveled through an open window and into the house. Hongbin turned his head too look out over the field and sure enough the mist was there and there was the circle with fairies also.

“Here they come.” He mumbled as he stood up and walked to the window. He looked out over the field and their happy dancing and there hewas and Hongbin smiled unconsciously.

When he caught himself smiling a bright red color spread over his cheeks and over his ears.

He sighed deeply as he looked over the field and as he watched the male fairy dance he became even more determined to go through with this. His curiosity was growing larger by the second and without a second thought he went out into the hallway and grabbed his coat and pulled on his shoes before running outside.

He carefully approached the circle. This time there were so many more than when he just meet with the blonde one. He studied them carefully and listened to their happy song. He felt himself wanting to move closer but he reminded himself that it was only their magic. He wasn’t going to be fooled by their magic.

With careful steps he walked closer and he saw one of the fairies turn her head and eye him quickly. She pushed her feet to make the circle move closer and closer to Hongbin and he wanted to take a step backwards but he forced himself to stay where he was. He tried to dig his feet closer to the ground as the circle enclosed around him.

He heard a giggling that spread around the circle and he tried to keep his eyes steady but they started to follow the blonde around the circle. Before he knew it he was turning around following him, he blamed it on the magic. It probably was partly the magic but there was something else also. He felt his heartbeat speed up, a slight redness spread over his face and his eyes were locked with the blonde.

“Do it right this time ~”

“Take him for her.”

“He is perfect.”

“Do it.”


Voices sang out and Hongbin had no idea where they came from. But they kept repeating and he felt dizzier and dizzier as he spun around his eyes not leaving the blonde fairy. He took a step towards him. Then another, and another. He was so close and Hongbin held his breath as he held up his hand and dust started swirling around just like the first time.

But before he got the time to blow anything at him his sight started to darken and his vision went blurry. His legs felt weak and suddenly his body falling towards the ground. He reached out trying to grab whatever he could. He grabbed the fairy’s shirt and tried to keep himself up but he kept falling and everything went black in front of him.

 


★☆★