Chapter 5

Rose of Sharon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye was crying and wailing as she called out Min Ho's name when his hand that was touching her cheek, slipped off and fell to the ground. Her cries and screams were attracting the attention of the approaching group of people. Yoochun and Jaejoong had just came back from training up the guards and they were shocked to see the sight of Shin Hye crying and Min Ho laying on her lap. They rushed to her aid and they carried Min Ho all the way to the medicinal hall as fast as they could to receive treatment right away.

"Shin Hye.. You cannot panic now.. I need your help to stop the bleeding while I retrieve the instruments. So please.. get yourself together!" said Yoochun as he needed her help more than ever to save his friend, who was now lying on the wooden table before Yoochun walk away to prepare the necessary tools to stop the bleeding.

Even though Shin Hye was a wreck, she managed to calm herself down and wiped her tears away before pressing on his wound to stop the bleeding as instructed. Now in a properly lit room, she managed to take a closer look at Min Ho's face while recalling the symptoms he was showing earlier before he went unconscious, she finally realised that it was not due to the lost of blood that was killing Min Ho but at the fact that the blade has been tainted with poison. To check if her deduction was true, she quickly grabbed a small silver spatula that was lying on the nearby table and placed it against the blade that was still stuck to his back as they did not want to remove it earlier in fear that it would cause major blood loss. The reaction with the poison caused the silver spatula to be tarnished, just in time for Yoochun to witness what what happening. 

"Shin Hye! We need to remove the blade instead!"

"Arasso Yoochun Oppa..."

After many harrowing hours, they finally managed to successfully stopped the poison from overtaking Min Ho's body as a whole. However, they still needed to flush the poison from Min Ho's system. Shin Hye tried to recall the exact concoction of herb and plant based remedies to treat such poisoning.

"Shin Hye where are you going?"

"Will be preparing the treatment for Min Ho. His condition is still unstable."

Shin Hye spent time making the concoction to perfection before handing it over to Yoochun.

Yoochun had been administering the remedy every alternate hour into Min Ho via intravenous means as he was still unconscious. And a few days later when Min Ho's face has regained some colour, Shin Hye was relief at the sight as she continued to pray for Min Ho's quick recovery. He was finally brought back to the King's chamber to rest and Shin Hye kept vigil by his side without leaving the room. However, there was one instance and the only one when she did leave the room for a moment  - when they were preparing for burial of the attackers that had caused Min Ho to be in the stead that he was in.

That's how concerned Min Ho was for his people living in his Kingdom that every single one no matter how bad their deeds were, deserves a proper burial. Shin Hye wanted to see the faces that had ambushed them in the dark and also to forgive for what they have done. And to her surprise, one of them was a face that she had seen and talked to before - Jae Shin, as he laid there lifeless. It suddenly dawned on her as she connected the dots and the weird conversation they had the first time he had entered the palace's compounds and how the new rulings were affecting his work and such. She felt awful for allowing such events to happen. The maiden who had accompanied her before to the market suddenly burst out in tears when Shin Hye went to each of the lifeless body as she told them to rest in peace. When enquired, the maiden confessed to be the informant as she felt guilty after witnessing the act of kindness that Shin Hye was showing upon the attackers. Jaejoong wanted to have her imprisoned right away as she had caused such an incident to unfold but Shin Hye objected to it as that it would mean she would have to be imprisoned as well because she had brought him into the palace and befriending him thinking that he was a genuine person in thirst of knowledge in the world of medicine, just like the maiden who thought that Jae Shin's love confession to her was real. As a result, the maiden was spared but she was tasked to carry out act of kindness towards her fellow maidens instead which she readily accepted as she volunteered to carry out the kitchen chores and cleaning of the compound that not many of them enjoyed doing to prove that she is remorseful.

Min Ho had remained unconscious for the past week and Shin Hye had been staying by his side as she carried out the embroidery work on the blank handkerchief. With every stitch she made, she said a prayer for Min Ho to recover. She was almost done with the embroidery when Min Ho's finger began to move. She put the embroidery aside and paid attention towards him.

"Min Ho.. Can you hear me?" said Shin Hye as held onto his hand.

Min Ho opened his eyes slowly with a smile across his face as his vision cleared and saw Shin Hye looking at him.

"Thank you Shin Hye..." as Min Ho uttered each word slowly.

"I'll call Yoochun Oppa to check on you alright?"

"No.. Don't leave Shin Hye... I am fine.. I just need you here... Stay with me for awhile.. Okay?"

"Arasso..."

Min Ho lifted his other hand to hold onto hers as they smiled at each other after the painful ordeal that they had been through together.

* * *

When Min Ho was up and well. He walked round the palace's gardens and had Shin Hye to accompany him on his walks. As his condition got better, Shin Hye decided to confess to him about what had happened and the identity of the attackers.

"So they are not the spies of Emperor Yuan?"

"I don't think so... But I think from this incident there's a lot to learn from."

"What is it, Shin Hye?"

"That no matter how great a ruler is and how much he cared for the people, there are always bound to have individuals who will not be satisfied by the decisions made, even if the decision is for the good."

"I guess I have to learn to live with that.... To overcome it in the best interest of the majority and not based on small groups of people. I just have to prepare myself better this time around to prevent such things from happening again. And one more thing.. Stop blaming yourself for what had happened. Even if you did not let him in, he would have infiltrate into the palace all the same no matter what. It was just a matter of time." said Min Ho as he wanted to console Shin Hye. He then steered the conversation away from the topic that was troubling her heart and to focus it on them instead. 

"So... Shin Hye, you were doing some embroidery right?"

"Yes... And?"

"Can I take a look at it?"

"Nope..."

"But why?"

"Because I did such a bad job with it..."

"I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter