Chapter Two: Moving Out, In, and On Part 1

Silence

Hyoyeon's POV

I awaken as the sun’s blinding rays sneak warily through the folds of the curtained window. My eyes itch with irritation as the light, now magnified in its intensity, rests solely on them. I rub my eyes roughly with the back of my hands, blinking back the sleep that threatens to consume me once more. Stifling a yawn, my aching body cries out in relief as I stretch and elongate the stiffened muscles. The dull throbbing I’ve become accustomed to creeps up my leg, the pain festering in my upper thigh and hip. I cringe slightly and grab the cream from the nightstand. I snake the waistband of my cotton pajama pants down to my knee, revealing the gruesome mark that has tattooed my skin.

It’s been years, almost five now, so I’m used to the dull ache that greets me every morning. But after last night, having spent an uncomfortable night of broken rest on this hardwood floor, the pain is excruciating. Squeezing a dab of the cream into my palm, I begin massaging it over the long scar. It smells of a soothing mint and my body breathes a content sigh as the warming sensation forces the wave of pain to ebb and eventually recede. I slide the clothing back on, hiding the scar once more, then close the cream and return it to the nightstand. That task completed, I eye the next with distaste, releasing an audible groan at the towering height of the bed above me. I grip the side of the nightstand, digging my nails into the wood for purchase. In vain I attempt to keep my leg stiff as I force myself up, a small yelp of pain escaping my lips as the leg bends and bucks beneath me.

This stupid leg. This stupid, useless ing leg.

I stand over the bed for a moment, allowing the joints to pop and settle as they adjust into their newly found position.

My eyes trail over the bed and observe the sleeping form beneath the covers. Taeyeon’s sleep is surprisingly peaceful, at least compared to the events of the previous night. She has the blanket pulled up to her chin, her hands resting snuggly under her cheek. A small grin graces her lips and I feel my own returning the gesture, glad to see such a vast improvement from our first meeting. She stirs slightly, a lose hair slowly falling over her delicate features. I reach out and gently slide it behind her ear, tracing a line on her cheek in my path.

She’s still a little warm but that isn’t surprising, I didn’t expect her to recover overnight.

I take a step back and trail my eyes over to the clock on the far dresser, 6:05. It’s Sunday so the restaurant doesn’t open until twelve. Krystal is opening for me today so I shouldn’t have to worry about that. The seafood delivery will come in at eleven but I trust her to sign for it. If I have time I’ll attempt to stop by today, but Taeyeon is my first priority at the moment. If she feels well enough I’ll make her some breakfast, it’s been awhile since she’s eaten anything.

I hope feels better. I could make some tea I guess, it might help loosen up those vocal chords.

I have multiple questions I’m dying to ask her but I also don’t want to push her, after all, we just met. I won’t force her to stay either, but she can remain here as long as she needs.

I just… I get this strange feeling from her. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but she seems lost. Not literally of course but just… like she doesn’t know where to go right now. This probably sounds like silly heroism but I think she needs me right now. Well, anybody really. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I shake my head slightly and chuckle at the notion.

It figures I would be the one repeating those words to myself.

Oh well, I shouldn’t mull over this subject so heavily.

Just go with the flow Hyoyeon, like always.

If she decides to hang around for awhile, I don’t think I’d mind that one bit.

Kim Taeyeon, she’s interesting, to say the least.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I awaken as the pounding sensation in my head demands my instant attention. I rub my temples in slow circles, easing the pain back into a dull throb. I lay back down into the bed; tossing fervently into as many positions as my mind can conjure, but it’s obvious the period of peaceful slumber I had enjoyed has passed. I throw the blanket from my body, releasing a huff of discontent. I hear a rattling and then a quite thud coming from the side of the bed. I attempt to ignore it at first but my curiosity peaks and I lean over the edge of the mattress. Hyoyeon’s sleeping bag is ruffled on top the inflated mattress but the girl is gone, a bottle of ibuprofen lying in the center of the dark green fabric.

So that’s what that noise was.

I reach out and pluck the bottle from the ground, a satisfied smile creeping up as I hear the familiar rattling of the contents. I silently thank the blonde as I tap the contents into my waiting palm.

Sweet, sweet relief.

I place a couple of the pills on my tongue and wash them down with the glass of water, that I’m assuming Hyoyeon left for me, on the nightstand.

I place the bottle and glass back on the nightstand and resolve that, with Hyoyeon absent, it must be past time to get up. I swing my legs over the nightstand and hop to my feet, letting my muscles stretch and awaken from their dormancy. I assume Hyoyeon wouldn’t leave me alone so I go out into the corridor to search for her. She’s not exactly difficult to find, the mouth-watering scent of some delicious creation practically beckoning me toward her. In my trek, I pass Jessica’s room and my cheeks flush in remembrance of last night’s events. As I draw closer I hear some type of music playing softly in the distance. The smell becomes more intoxicating and by the time I get to the kitchen I’m practically drooling from the scent.

When I enter, she has her back turned to me. She moves around the room with a strange rhythm, the music guiding her motions across the room with a sense of grace and purpose. She turns to the other side of the room and I go unnoticed as she opens the fridge door wide and she bends over to peer inside.

“I could’ve sworn I had leftovers in here…”

A sudden idea crosses my mind and I silently approach her, the low music masking the sound of my resounding footsteps. I can no longer resist the urge as I lean close behind her, releasing a sudden attack on her midsection.

“Holy !” Hyoyeon jumps back in shock and barrels into me.

I wrap my arms around her waist to steady her as my back begins to press up against the wall from her added weight. She turns to face me and gives me a sharp glare when she notices my silent snickering and mischievous smile.

“So you think this is funny huh?” Her lips curve into a supple pout and her eyes soften.

I nod excitedly before she inflicts a sharp flick to my forehead.

My eyes widen in surprise and she laughs at my dumbfounded expression.

“That’ll teach you not to sneak up on me,” she taps her chin for a moment and a smirk dances across her lips. “Hey, if you really wanna scare someone, you should go wake Jessica.”

My cheeks flush once again and I cover my face to hide my embarrassment from the blonde.

“I knew it,” she takes my hands from my cheeks and giggles, “those two traumatized you didn’t they?”

I nod and try to regain my hands but she holds them tight and gives them a soft squeeze.

“Why don’t you go take a shower? You can try scrubbing your eyes to rid yourself of that horrid sight,” she snickers. “You remember where the bathroom is right?”

I nod once again and wait to see if she’s going to say anything more.

“Good. I’ll have finished breakfast soon so I’ll come bring you some clothes. If you have any problems just come find me alright.”

She finally lets go of my hand and I practically flee from the room. I rush back into Hyoyeon’s room and close the door behind me, leaning my back against the frame.

My heart… it’s ing beating out of my chest. What the Hell is going on?

I clench my hand to my chest but the beating refuses to cease in its rapidness.

She was just being nice Tae, calm down.

Maybe I’m having some sort of hero complex with her, some silly girl crush because she saved my life.

Yeah, that’s gotta be it. I’m just thankful to her and a little surprised after receiving such kindness after having to live without it for so long.

My heartbeat finally steadies and I breathe a sigh of relief.

There ya go Tae, nice and steady.

Finally calmed, I head to the bathroom, but strangely the light is on and the door is locked. I try waiting a few minutes but whoever’s inside remains and Hyoyeon appears to bring me some clothes.

“Taeyeon, you haven’t showered yet?”

I shake my head and point to the door. Her brow furrows with confusion and she turns to me again.

“Do you know who’s in there?”

I shake my head once more.

She heads back over to the nightstand and begins rummaging through the top drawer. She pulls a key from the drawer and smiles triumphantly at me.

That smile, she’s like a kid.

I touch my finger to my lips and trace the smile that lines them.

I haven’t smiled so much in a long time…

“I swear, if this is who I think it is, I’m going to kill her,” she shoves the key in the lock and throws the door open.

I cover my eyes from the shock of the lack of modesty in this house and just let my ears fill in the blanks.

“Hyoyeon! What the Hell?!” I hear the shower curtain ruffle and Sooyoung’s surprised shriek.

Ah, so Sooyoung was the one in there.

I feel the laughter bubbling in my chest but I silence it so I can hear the rest of the conversation.

“What the Hell?! Who are you to say that when you’re the one in my shower?! And what is… Are you eating a sandwich in the shower? Those are my leftovers from the restaurant!”

The poorly contained laughter I’d been holding bursts at this remark.

“I was hungry!”

“Then eat breakfast at the table like a normal person! There are ing crumbs in my shower! What kind of person does that?!”

“I don’t think you understand Hyoyeon. I! Was! Hungry!”

“Well if you weren’t in there with Jessica humping like rabbits then maybe you wouldn’t have worked up such an appetite!”

Oh my god… There is no shame in this house…

“I can’t help it that you have a crazed roommate! Maybe if you went out once in awhile we could…”

“That’s enough!”

The noises become indiscernible, as I’m sure a major conflict ensues.

“Keep your eyes closed Tae, I gotta throw the wretch outta here.”

“What’d you call me?”

“Come on, keep it moving.”

Hyoyeon must’ve clamped a hand over Sooyoung’s mouth because all I can hear are muffled ramblings before the door slams behind them.

My curiosity begs me to follow but I refuse, knowing my brain can only take so much more of this craziness so early in the morning.

The bathroom is an utter disaster. The shower curtain is completely gone, the hooks it was once clamped to dangling from the metal rod. The removable showerhead is still swinging limply as water drains from it and the shampoo and conditioner bottles have spilled open, coating the floor in a slippery film. I thought Hyoyeon was only joking about the crumbs but as I peer over the edge of the tub I can clearly see them, caking the drain closed in a thick layer. I eye the mess as a whole and shudder slightly.

I can’t believe Sooyoung was really eating in the shower.

I roll up the sleeves of my shirt and sigh.

Well, I guess I should get started.

 

Hyoyeon’s POV

 

“Let me goooo!” Sooyoung squirms violently within the slick shower curtain, kicking and splaying her limbs wildly.

“No way, I’m going to return you to your owner,” I hug in exasperation and tighten my grip on the shikskin.

“You can’t control me, I shall escape this prison and exact my revenge!”

She squirms even more vigorously and manages to escape from my hold.

“Yah! Sooyoung!”

“Freeeeeeeeedommmmmmm!” The idiot shouts triumphantly, sprinting off into Jessica’s room and slamming the door behind her.

“Hmph, oh well. As long as she’s out of my hair.”

As I turn to go back to my room I slip, soon meeting the ground with a solid thump.

“…” I hiss, gripping my leg in an attempt to alleviate the glaring pain.

“Hyo? Not that I’m going to complain about my girlfriend being wet and in my room, but could you please tell me what the… !” I feel Jessica’s hand cupping my head as the other moves to massage my throbbing leg. “Hey, you alright?”

I nod but she frowns at the way my mouth moves into a grimace when she brushes my thigh.

“You at lying ya know. Do you need me to get you anything? Do we need to go to the hospital?”

“No, mmm, I’m fine Jess. Just help me up would ya?”

“Of course,” she slides a hand behind my back and pulls me up with her, careful to keep my leg in check.

I mumble my thanks and she helps me to my bed.

“What happened Hyo? You aren’t one to be so clumsy,” as she talks she moves to the closet and grabs me one of the pillows, propping it under my leg and rubbing it gently.

“Your girlfriend happened,” I groan from the contact and she shies back slightly.

“She didn’t knock you down did she? Because if so I swear to God I’ll…”

“Of course not Jess. Your idiot girlfriend was eating in my shower. When I tried to pull her dumb out, she fought me and I had to trap her in the shower curtain so she’d stop squirming so much.”
Jessica snickers and I can’t help but laugh a little as well.

“Yeah, it was pretty funny. Then, when we were in the hall, she escaped and ran into your room. She was still dripping wet…”

Jessica smiles in that erted way of hers and I reward her with a firm smack to her stomach.

“Not like that ya nasty. Anyway, she must’ve gotten some water on the floor and that’s what I slipped on.”

“I see,” Jessica frowns and pats my leg gently, “That girl, she knows not to be so rough with you. I’m really sorry Hyo. As punishment I’ll make her clean the hallway for you. Can’t have you slipping again now can we.”

“I’m more sorry for Taeyeon,” I laugh. “Poor thing has had to see Sooyoung twice. She’s probably going to go blind.”

“Yah! Are you calling my girlfriend ugly?!” Jessica frowns and smacks me with the pillow she’s been resting on.

“No, I’m just saying that if she sees any more girls in this house she’s going to think we’re running a brothel or something.”

“Nice, first you call my girlfriend ugly and now a e. You sure know how to charm the ladies Hyo,” Jessica smirks and slides off the bed. “You know maybe if you got yourself a girlfriend…”

Before Jessica can finish, the door to the bathroom clicks shut as Taeyeon enters the room. She smiles shyly at Jessica but that smile evaporates the instant she lays eyes on me. Her brow furrows with worry and she quickly pads over to me. Her gaze is filled with so much fear as her eyes scan my body and a feeling of guilt washes over me.
She notices my leg propped up on the pillow and reaches for it but Jessica quickly grabs her wrist.

“Don’t touch that…”

“Jess,” I glare harshly at the girl and she responds with a tight frown. “I just fell.”

Taeyeon frowns and bores her eyes into mine.

“I’m fine Taeyeon,” I smile and pat her hand reassuringly. “The hall was wet and I slipped, simple as that. Jessica is just overreacting as always, I’m perfectly fine.”

I feel Jessica pinching my elbow but I twitch and force her to stop. I know she hates when I lie like this but she has to understand, I can’t simply share that secret with someone I just met.

“Jessica, why don’t you and Sooyoung go eat breakfast? Taeyeon and I will be there shortly.”

“Alright, but I can’t promise Sooyoung will leave anything for you two. You know my girlfriend’s appetite has no mercy.”

“She better not, that girl is already on my bad side and it’s only 7 a.m.”

“I know right, new record,“ Jessica chuckles and ducks her head out the door seconds before the pillow I hurled slams into the wall.

“Damn, missed.”

I had hoped my and Jessica’s joking would lighten the mood but Taeyeon’s expression remains burdened.

“Taeyeon, look,” I jump from the bed and walk in a circle around the room, gritting my teeth as the pain shoots through my leg. “I am perfectly fine, Jessica always overreacts like this to every little thing.” I reach for her hand like that of a small child and place it on my leg. “See, it works fine. I’m not going to break from a little fall.”

She pokes my leg a few times, assessing my expression with each prod. I maintain my loose smile, biting the inside of my cheek roughly. At last she smiles, obviously satisfied with my condition.

“Come on,” I grab her hand once again and pull her into the hallway. “We need to retrieve that shower curtain.”

After a moment, we return to my room with the shower curtain in hand. Taeyeon smiles as we return to the bathroom and I can’t help but tick my head in confusion.

“Oh wow…”

The bathroom is surprisingly spotless. I can practically see one of those little sparkle effects gleaming on the polished tiles.

What the Hell? I could’ve sworn Sooyoung and I had trashed the place during our little scuffle.

“Taeyeon, did you really clean this place so quickly?”

She nods enthusiastically, swinging our linked arms in her excitement.

Why is she so happy? I guess she must feel like this is a way to repay me for saving her.

“Thank you Taeyeon,” I pull the girl into an impromptu hug. “You didn’t have to do that ya know. You being well again is thanks enough for me.”
She squirms slightly within the hug at first but I can feel her body relax at my words.

“Hey, we’re friends now okay. You don’t have to treat me like some sort of savior. I’m just plain old Hyoyeon, got it?”

She squeezes me more tightly so I’ll take that as a yes.

“Good. Now why don’t you finally take that shower you’ve been pining for? You still smell like sickness.”

I laugh and release my hold on the brunette. Her smile is beaming and I ruffle her hair slightly.

She’s just so adorable, like a little kid in a way.

“I better go. If I don’t hurry Sooyoung will devour both of our meals.”

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I crank the dials of the shower, watching as steam billows from the showerhead and blankets the room. I step into the hot water, hoping the heat can help wash away the last of this sickness still clouding my senses. As I go through my normal routine, I can’t stop my thoughts from trailing to Hyoyeon.

Friends… are we really friends? Is it really that easy?

I mean, we just met, but it’s like I can feel her sincerity.

She’s such a good person; I don’t want to hurt her with my presence.

Mother, father, Tiffany, anyone who has ever claimed me always pushes me away.

Is my heart really up for this?

Even if it is just friendship, could I handle another rejection?

But… she’s so kind and caring towards me. She treats me like we’ve been friends for years.

Maybe she’s just the sort of person I need in my life.

Then there’s Jessica and Sooyoung.

Well, at least I know she’s not a homophobe.

She seems to joke with the two so easily, they must have a long friendship behind them. I wonder if that makes them my friends as well.

Is Hyoyeon’s friendship a package deal?

They’re all so crazy and excitable, maybe they can help bring out that side of me once again, the one she used to bring out in me.

But, oh gosh…

I really don’t want to see those two again. I mean, I know I’m clearly a lesbian and all, but having two women so brazenly display themselves…

I mean technically I did barge in on them.

I chuckle slightly at the memory as I strain the shampoo from my brown locks.

That’s true; I can’t really blame them for that.

I really do like Hyoyeon though. Even if we haven’t known each other for long, I feel this urge to get to know her better.

When I thought she was hurt earlier, it felt like I was the one who was injured. I care for her and I couldn’t bare to see her in pain.

And then there was the bathroom incident.

I’m not normally a cleanly person, so why was I so willing to do that for her?

Why was I so happy when she was thanking me?

Is her happiness really that important to me?

I’m not sure; I just know that her smile felt like some sort of energy pill. It’s like I was using her emotions to fuel my own.

I don’t really know how to handle this sudden influx of emotions but I’m willing to explore it if it means becoming a person again.

I’m tired of always being submerged in this darkness. I want to feel something again and maybe Tiffany just wasn’t what I needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love her. I’ll always love her. Feelings between two people, especially those with our history, those don’t disappear so easily. I don’t think they ever do really.

But she threw me away, just like everyone else.

So maybe… maybe I just have to pick up my pieces on my own this time. I shouldn’t have put so much pressure on tiffany. I couldn’t expect her to supply all my happiness for me. I need to find something that makes me whole again and friendship with these insane girls sounds like an exciting new beginning.

I guess I won’t know unless I give it a shot.

 

Hyoyeon’s POV

 

After leaving Taeyeon, I carefully tread down the hallway to the dining room. Surprisingly, Jessica was true to her word, as the floor has been thoroughly dried.

Upon entering the kitchen, I take notice of the compromising position of the two. Jessica has Sooyoung straddled, pinning her arms beneath her own. Having Sooyoung completely restrained, the two continue to exchange a series of passionate kisses.

I cough loudly, “So are you two going to continue this or do I have to eat all this delicious food by myself.

At the mention of food, Sooyoung’s ears twitch and she immediately breaks the kiss.

“It’s called a distraction Hyo,” Jessica winks, running a hand lovingly along her girl’s hairline. “It’s a genius idea really. I get a hot makeout session with my love, she gets temporarily pacified, and we all get to eat together for once.”
“Wow,” I clap, “That must have been a tremendous sacrifice.”

“It was,” Sooyoung sighs. “I’m starving.”

“Shush,” Jessica laughs, finally climbing off the taller girl. She places a kiss on her girlfriend’s cheek before padding over to me, “You’re welcome.”

“So Hyoyeon, how’s our guest this fine morning?”

“No better thanks to you,” I laugh lightly. “She sure does have a talent for finding you two in the buff. I’ve lived with you guys for years and I usually only see that horror about twice every month.”
“Not my fault you have such a y roommate and a curious guest,” Sooyoung smirks. “Now where’s the food? I’m wasting away here,” she gestures to her stomach and whines pitifully.

“Can’t you at least wait for Taeyeon? It would be rude to eat without her.”
“She might already be here. That girl is so quiet, she could’ve come in at any moment unnoticed.”

“Sica’s right. Has she said even a word to you yet?”
“Not a one,” I sigh. “I don’t know if it’s or if we just scare her. And when I saw we I mean you two,” I jokingly glare at the two and they smile proudly.

“You know Hyo,” Jessica adds, “She could be mute.”
“You think?” Sooyoung asks.

“I mean it’s plausible. Let’s just give it some time. Asking might make her uncomfortable. If she doesn’t speak after a few days then I think we should just assume that’s the case.”
“A few days? What do you mean by that Hyo?”

“Yeah, is she staying?”
“If she wants. Either way I told her that we’re friends now. I have this feeling we’ll be seeing her quite often.”
I hear light footsteps echo down the hallway and turn to face the brunette.

“Speak of the devil. Good morning Taeyeon,” Jessica smiles. “I heard my girlfriend gave you quite the scare this morning.”
“What’s so wrong with being ?” Sooyoung grumbles.

“Shush. Why don’t you go sit between Hyoyeon and I. We’ll go get the food.”

Jessica leads the brunette to her seat while I trail behind her. I shoot Sooyoung a glare, hoping she’ll behave herself, and she returns the glare with a sly smile.

Aish, that kid.

I grab four plates from the cabinet and balance four glasses on top. Jessica tosses silverware in the cups as I pass. I set Taeyeon’s place first and she nods her thanks. Sooyoung practically rips her plate from my grip, mumbling something about how she was going to starve to death if I didn’t move it. I smack her on the head with the dish, earning a slight chuckle from Taeyeon and even more of Sooyoung’s grumbling.

“Coming through,” Jessica stumbles out of the kitchen, several trays balanced haphazardly in her grip.

“Seriously Sica?” I laugh, quickly relieving her of some of the dishes.

“You know I’ve always been a firm believer in single trips,” she grins.

“Yeah yeah, just sit your down before your girlfriend devours the whole table.”

By the time we sit down, Sooyoung is already well into her third pancake. I hurriedly save a few for Taeyeon and I, much to Sooyoung’s discontent.

“Here Tae,” I slide a couple of pancakes onto her plate.

I quickly scavenge more food for the two of us, leaving Jessica to fend for herself.

I eye Taeyeon out of curiosity. She looks skeptical at first and I soon realize why.

“Sorry Taeyeon, this must look strange. It’s American breakfast food. Sica likes it because it reminds her of home and Sooyoung will eat just about anything. Trust me though, it’s super delicious.”

She nods in confirmation, warily taking a small bite. Immediately, she stops chewing and stares at me incredulously. My initial thought is that she finds it disgusting but that idea is quickly dissipated as she hungrily shoves the rest of the pancake into .

I catch Jessica staring as well and she can’t help but chuckle lightly at Taeyeon’s reaction. “It’s good right? Hyoyeon is an amazing chef.”

The brunette looks up for a mere moment to nod excitedly at the comment before continuing. She reaches for another pancake, her hand brushing against Sooyoung’s. Surprisingly, Sooyoung actually pulls back, allowing Taeyeon to snag the final pancake from the plate. I shoot her a look of confusion and she merely shrugs, continuing to pick off the other trays of bacon, eggs, toast, and various sliced fruits. Jessica pats her on the thigh and plants a chaste kiss on her cheek.

“Thanks babe.”

“Yeah yeah, just make more next time alright. You know I can eat at least eight of those by myself.”

“Trust me, I’m more than aware,” I huff in exasperation, earning a smirk from the giant. “So, what are the two of you up to today?”

“Well I have a photo-shoot for High-Cut today. Soo is going to come along to keep me company right babe?” She nudges the younger girl slightly.

“Of course. I’m not going to leave you alone with that lecherous beast they call a photogra-“

“He is not lecherous! A little creepy admittedly.”

“Oh no, don’t you stick up for that guy. I’ve seen the way he zooms in on your chest like that.”
“I was modeling a necklace!”

They both huff in annoyance, crossing their arms and facing the opposite direction. Taeyeon eyes me with a look of concern but I wave her off. They do this sort of thing all the time and I won’t give them the satisfaction of an enthralled audience.

Without missing a beat, they exchange brief glances, then return their gaze to their individual laps.

“Look I’m… I’m glad you wanna protect me and all Soo…”

Sooyoung’s lips curve into a bashful smile as her eyes meet Jessica’s, “And I know you’re more than capable of taking care of yourself Jess. I just don’t like anyone looking at you the way I do.”

“I love you.”
“I love you too.”

They begin to lean towards each other and I hear myself groan loudly, “Alright alright, break it up you two. Geez, the only things you two know how to do is be either corny or .”

Taeyeon’s face flushes a deep scarlet, causing Sooyoung to burst into boisterous laughter.

“Well Hyo, there is another thing we know how to do,” Sooyoung pushes back her chair and saunters over to Taeyeon.

Jessica seems to catch on as she steps behind Taeyeon’s chair, draping an arm over her shoulder and leaning into her ear. “That’s right Soo. You see we can be quite the temptresses as well.”

Taeyeon visibly shudders as Sooyoung leans onto her other shoulder. “What do you say love? The two of us have been known to entertain a guest or two in our time. You seem like you need to loosen up a bit.”

A trickle of blood drips down Taeyeon’s features as her face transcends the color spectrum.

“That’s enough.”

The two devils look up with a supple pout, upset with being deprived of their plaything.

“Jessica, go to your room and take that thing with you before I throw her out on her . Oh and trust me, after that little stunt you won’t be far behind.”

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

“Jessica, go to your room and take that thing with you before I throw her out on her . Oh and trust me, after that little stunt, you won’t be far behind.”

The way she says those words, so soft, yet so utterly terrifying. I mean, her voice is smooth and calm, but the words go down your throat like acid. A smile is spread across her lips but you almost expect to see fangs poking out, the sheer venomous nature of her demeanor.

I feel their grips release from my shoulders as they slink into the hallway; their shoulders drooped in disappointment.

My eyes trail back to Hyoyeon as she pushes her hair back in frustration; the long blonde locks falling back into place with ease.

“I’m umm… I’m really sorry about that. Those two can be rather mischievous and… oh.”

Suddenly she’s so close, her hand on my jawline, elevating it within her fingertips.

“Aish, those kids,” she dabs my nose with a napkin, the blood seeping into the white cloth. “They love to pick on the sensitive ones.”

 

Am I really sensitive? I mean, they were suggesting a for crying out loud! Is that not something to be sensitive about?

Oh gosh, when did Hyoyeon get this close?

 

“Hey, you okay there? You look like you stepped out for a second. I’m really going to have to set those two straight if they truly affect you this badly.”

She tucks the chair back under the table and begins clearing the dishes. I finally manage to awaken from my stupor and follow her into the kitchen with a few trays balanced on my arms. She looks shocked at first but gladly takes them from me, placing them in the sink as she begins running the water from the faucet. We repeat the process a few times until the table is clear and I begin to wipe the surface with a wet rag, removing even the most minor blemish.

“Thanks Tae. Those two never help me clean up after always leaving such a mess.”

I feel myself smiling again and she returns the gesture.

“So, now that you seem to be feeling better, what are your plans for today?”

 

Plans? Well, I mean, I don’t know. I would usually be at the studio by now but I couldn’t bare running into Tiffany.

Tiffany… Our apartment. Do I still live there anymore? Do I have to move out now that we’re through? We did share the rent and all, but it was her place in the beginning. The décor, the furnishings, the majority of the possessions are hers. I don’t see her allowing me to hang around after that display.

 

I reach to check my phone for the time and quickly realize it must still be lost in the snow.

I grab a pen and paper from the kitchen counter and pass the message to Hyoyeon.

 

I lost my phone in that alley yesterday where you found me. I should go look for it.

 

“Oh, I’ll come help.”

I try to refuse but she is already adjusting a maroon scarf around her neck. She pulls on a black overcoat and begins lacing up her boots.

I trail my eyes over my attire and frown.

These are the same clothes I was wearing yesterday; Hyoyeon had had them thrown in the laundry and waiting in the bathroom after my shower. A thin button down white shirt, jeans, and a black pair of converse that are a little worse for wear.

 

How was I even alive when she found me? What was I thinking wearing this outside in twenty-degree weather?

 

“Here,” Hyoyeon pulls a black scarf around my neck, intricately tying it so that it wraps around multiple times. “There is no way I’m letting you almost freeze to death a second time.”

She passes me a navy blue coat and urges me into a pair of boots more suitable for the several inches of white powder outside. The last few items I receive are a blue knit cap and matching gloves to officially cover every inch of skin.

“Much better.”

With her gloved hand in mine, she leads me out the door and onto the stairwell. While she turns to lock the door behind her I take in my surroundings. Hyoyeon’s apartment is number 708, which should mean we are on the seventh floor. I glance around for an elevator but the only one around appears to be out of service.

 

Does that mean… Did she really carry me up seven flights of stairs?

 

As we descend the stairs I let this newfound information process. We’re around the same height but she does seem to have a more muscular build. My breathing has become quite labored by the time we reach the bottom but she doesn’t even demonstrate a sign of exhaustion.

“I’m pretty sure it was this way,” we turn left out of the building and head down the street.

It’s slightly more crowded than yesterday, most people still preferring the indoors to braving the elements. Our hands are still interlocked for some reason so most people are going around us, only a few, mainly foreigners, give us questioning glances.

“It’s right around here and… Found it!”

She pulls me into the alley adjacent to a coffee shop, mumbling a slight apology when she realizes our hands are still connected.

The snow has piled up considerably overnight but Hyoyeon shows no hesitation in diving in. I drop to my knees beside her and start fumbling through the dense pile.

After thirty minutes or so I start shivering. I still feel pretty weak from yesterday and even these thick clothes aren’t keeping the chill at bay. Hyoyeon looks at me worriedly, her nose glowing a light shade of pink as her cheeks flush from the cold. I wave her off but she still eyes me a couple more times.

“Is this it?” Hyoyeon pulls out an all black iPhone with a devious grin.

I nod enthusiastically as she helps to raise me up from the ground.

“That was at lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I didn’t think we’d ever find it.”

She places the phone in my hand and I press the power button but to no avail. It’s either dead or broken from being submerged in the wet snow for so long.

“Is it dead?”
I nod and she frowns with discontent.

“That’s too bad. Do you have a charger at home that we could go get?”

 

Home… Do I have one of those anymore? Father has kicked me out, I’ve been banished from Tiffany’s life, where do I go from here?

 

She notices the change in my demeanor and moves to take my hand.

“Don’t sweat it. Maybe someone in the coffee shop has one we could borrow.”
I nod halfheartedly as she leads me by the hand once again, taking me into the adjacent shop.

It’s incredibly cozy inside, the warm air scented with a mixture of ground beans and hundreds of strange delicacies piled behind the glass casing. Hyoyeon gestures for me to take a seat near the window while she goes to ask the owner, a personal friend I’m assuming, if she could lend us a charger.

I see her stop to talk to a raven-haired girl that’s considerably taller than her. She smiles in that cute, almost smirking way she does as the darker haired girl talks, making animated gestures with her hands, which earn a laugh from the blonde. Hyoyeon turns to look at me then back to her friend. She seems to nod before they both turn and walk towards our table.

“Taeyeon, this is my friend Seohyun. She’s the owner and a rather talented musician I might add.”
“Oh shush,” the taller girl nudges her shoulder playfully. “You know I only play here in my free time.”
“Speaking of which, no live music today?”

Seohyun frowns and releases an exasperated sigh, “Sadly no. I’m too busy to play today and the girl who usually comes in is on a trip to Paris with her boyfriend. I try to play when I can but its gotten so cold lately that the customers are just rolling in here and I just can’t seem to find the time.”
“That’s too bad Seo. You know how much I love to hear you play when I come here. Really adds to the atmosphere ya know.”

“I’m really sorry Hyo. But hey, I did get that charger you were asking about. You wouldn’t believe how many people come asking for these. I have a whole bin of them in the back. Usually I charge rent on these babies but any friend of yours is a friend of mine. Here you go Miss Taeyeon,” she extends her long, incredibly delicate fingers to place the charger in my hand.
She is so incredibly nice to me but I can’t seem to shake this weird feeling in my gut. The way she makes Hyoyeon laugh and smile so easily, it’s like there’s a rock sitting in my stomach, something just so achingly gnawing at me.

 

Hyoyeon’s POV

 

“Well sorry to cut our time short Hyo but the line is really starting to get long. Miss Taeyeon,” Seohyun bows slightly and Taeyeon immediately jumps up to return the gesture.

“Later Seo.”
I watch as Taeyeon plugs the charger into the wall and powers up her phone. Thankfully the charging icon pops up, I had been worried the snow had damaged it, and Taeyeon sets it back on the table.

“Seohyun is a friend from high school,” I begin as I take the seat across from Taeyeon. “She was originally going to be a musician but her parents needed help financially so she went into the workforce instead. Her parents are better off now, with the shop’s income and all, so I’ve been trying to push her back towards her dreams. She’s just so stubborn though. I mean, when you can actually achieve your dream, why not right?” I laugh in an attempt to cover up what I’m sure is a rather sad smile. “But yeah umm, we’ve been friends for a really long time. Jessica and I were actually headed here yesterday but we found you instead. Right place right time I guess.”

Taeyeon caresses my hand in a soothing motion, a reassuring smile combined with those endlessly deep and mysterious brown pools.

“Sorry, I know I’m sort of rambling. How about I get us something to drink while your phone charges.”

She looks like she’s about to protest but I quickly slide her a napkin and pen, not allowing her even a moment to refuse.

“Just write down what you want okay. Seohyun has an awesome menu so you can’t really go wrong with anything.”

She turns to look at the menu, her hand tucked under her chin as she rests her arm on her knee. She must spot something familiar as she scribbles her order down in mere seconds.

 

Peppermint Hot Chocolate

 

“You know they have coffee here right?” I giggle at the childish nature of the order and she pouts slightly at my reaction. “I mean it’s fine. It’s just sort of, cute I guess.”

opens in some adorable sort of gaping motion as I hurriedly swipe the paper from the table and traipse over to the counter. Seohyun was right in saying this line is ridiculous. There are at least fifteen people in front of me but I know it will be worth the wait.

The line moves rather quickly, Seohyun adeptly handling the crowd, and, within a few minutes I’m face to face with her once again.

“Oh, hey Hyo. You know you could’ve just skipped the line right?” She asks as she continues scribbling names on the decorative cups.

“Yeah I know, but that just doesn’t seem right, especially when you’re so busy. Halloween cups?” I pick up the cup and swivel it around in my palm.

There are three kinds, one orange, another purple, and the last black. The designs vary from pumpkins and bats to half moons and vampire fangs.

“You know it. We’re having a party on Halloween night so I figured we should get in the spirit. This one is my personal favorite though,” she reaches behind the counter and pulls out several Jack Skellington cups. “I’m holding these babies for Halloween night though. Gonna be a sort of ‘day of the dead’ kind of thing. Let customers doodle on them and the fan favorite design wins a prize. You’re going to come right?”
“Eh, I’ll have to see. I mean I’ve got the restaurant to loo-“
“Oh no, you are not opening the restaurant on Halloween. Who goes out to eat on Halloween? Everyone is going to a party so therefore you have to come to mine. You can bring your girlfriend if you want.”

“Would you shush? I already told you about her. We aren’t dating I’m just-“
“Just what Hyo? Taking care of her, bringing her out for a drink, spending a day with someone you just me? You can’t fool me Hyo. You should see the way she looks at you. Plus, you should’ve seen her glaring at me while we were talking. You better make sure she knows we are not an item or else she might just bite my head off.”

“What are you talking about? She was super polite to you.”
“Only because we’re friends and because I was nice in return. Just think about it Hyo, give it a shot. Bring her to my party this weekend; see if you still think that way by then.”

“Maybe Seo, alright. I still need time. Can you just take my order and we’ll talk about this later?”

“Promise?”

She extends her pinky, her eyes meeting mine, lingering with an abnormal potency.

“Of course,” I fulfill the childish promise and relay my order.

Seohyun chuckles slightly at Taeyeon’s request as she scribbles her name onto the cup. “And for you?”

“I’ll have an amer-“

“Wait, do you hear that?”

 

No One’s POV

 

The tinkling of the piano keys is soft at first, drifting along as it battles the noise of chatty customers and grinding machinery. As the melody increases in volume, more and more people become enthralled, the chatter ceasing to a low hum. The machinery growls just as loudly but the room has become so silent, save for the resounding melody, that no one pays it any mind. Seohyun and Hyoyeon exchange looks of confusion, Seohyun jumping over the counter and following Hyoyeon, who is already half way around the counter.

The coffee shop has a rather magnificent piano, one that Seohyun brought personally from her own home, and it pairs rather beautifully with the young brunette at the keys. The instrument is a stunning shade of ebony, reflecting the dark depth of Taeyeon’s eyes as she her fingers across the ivory keys. The song is slow and calming, laden with deep, depressing emotions as each note resounds in a melancholy tone. At times Taeyeon closes her eyes, relinquishing herself to the familiar motions and reveling in the melody that slides from her fingertips.

Seohyun leans into Hyoyeon’s ear, near silently whispering, “That’s Yiruma’s Kiss The Rain.”

Hyoyeon isn’t familiar with many piano pieces but this one does strike her as familiar. She’s heard it once before but the memory is long since forgotten, only vague images passing through her brain in a reminiscent stream.

“Did you know she could play piano?”

“No idea,” Hyoyeon responds, inching ever closer behind the girl.

She decides to take a seat at their table, which is thankfully directly next to the piano, able to watch Taeyeon’s every motion and expression. She notices the way Taeyeon tucks her hair behind her ears as she plays, how she seems to respond to every note with a flick of the wrist or a slight change in expression. It’s quirky and strange but absolutely adorable and endearing, so much so that she doesn’t even lift her eyes from her as the waitress places her and Taeyeon’s drinks on the table.

Seohyun sat for a moment but eventually had to return to her waitressing duties. She told Hyoyeon the name of the new song Taeyeon had started but the name didn’t strike a chord with Hyoyeon’s memory the way the last one had.

Taeyeon had caught Hyoyeon’s eye between songs, an embarrassed smile and blush creeping up her features, but Hyoyeon had urged her to continue and she readily complied.

It was something about the way she played, Hyoyeon decided. It just left her transfixed. Maybe it was how she seemed so at peace or the way it conveyed the emotions she didn’t seem to be able to speak, it was just so… so beautiful and amazing.

After four songs, Taeyeon pushes back the bench to get up and Hyoyeon jumps up to begin the applause. The entire coffee shop erupts in boisterous applause and Taeyeon covers her face in embarrassment before being pulled back to their table by Hyoyeon.

“Why didn’t you tell me you liked playing the piano Tae?”
She just shrugs sheepishly and takes a sip of her cocoa.

“That really was amazing though. I mean you just… you honestly blew everyone away. It was astounding Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon’s face flushes again, earning a laugh from the blonde.
“Oh come on, you can’t blush every time you get a compliment. You must get compliments all the time with that kind of playing. Seohyun loved it too. She says you’re more than welcome to come play anytime. She could definitely use the help during the holidays. She pays pretty well too, plus tips. Sorry, I’m rambling again aren’t I?”
Hyoyeon takes a sip of her coffee in an attempt to hide her embarrassment. Taeyeon frowns at this, pulling another napkin from the tray and scribbling a message before passing it to Hyoyeon.

 

I like hearing you talk. You’re not rambling, trust me.

 

Hyoyeon smiles before passing the napkin back to Taeyeon.

“So where’d you learn to play piano from?”
Taeyeon twists the pen between her fingers, thinking back to the days of her childhood and living with her parents in their stately manor.

 

I taught myself. There used to be a piano in my father’s study and I would practice when he was at work or out of town.

 

“Wow, you really learned all by yourself?”
Taeyeon nods as she takes another sip of her drink. The chill from their earlier adventure has almost dissipated as the warm liquid fills her with an all-consuming heat.

Before either can continue the conversation, Taeyeon’s phone buzzes and the new message icon flashes across the screen.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

Of course, having a pleasant conversation with Hyoyeon would be interrupted by more of my bull life.

 

New Message:

Tiffany: I’ll be out all day at the studio. You can come and collect your things. Make sure you leave the key I gave you.

 

I try to blink back the tears forming in my eyes but Hyoyeon has already reached across the table to wipe them away.

“Hey, you okay? Can I do anything?”

 

How did I find someone that cares about me like this? She’s more than I deserve in a person.

 

I try to deny it but she gives me that, ‘and don’t you lie to me look’ and I begin relaying the story on another of the coffee shop napkins.

 

It’s a message from my ex. We broke up yesterday and she wants me to come get my stuff while she’s out.

 

“I’m sorry Taeyeon. Do you umm… have anywhere to go now?”

It takes a moment too long for me to come up with a convincing lie because I can already see the cogs turning in her brain as she formulates a plan.

“Well… How about coming to stay with me?”