001

Glitter and Musk

            "No, Minho! I’m not going in there!” Jonghyun yelled, yanking his arm out of the taller man’s grasp. “Jong, come on, dude. It’s not any different from a regular strip club! It’s actually, like… better.” Minho said, laughing like the prick he was at Jonhyun’s red face. “No! It’s weird. They’re guys that dress up like chicks. Chicks with , Minho. That’s so ing weird!” Jonghyun said, trying to lower his voice as some people walked passed them on the sidewalk. Minho shook his head, still chuckling. “Whatever, Jonghyun. Give it a try or don’t.” The taller man said, turning and walking toward the front doors of the club. Jonghyun stood there, having an internal war in his mind. As Minho disappeared through the doors, Jonghyun made a decision. “ing !” Jonghyun cursed under his breath, walking toward the doors Minho had just entered.

            Jonghyun made his way through the dim-lit club, finding Minho sitting with some other guys. He sat beside Minho roughly, throwing his body into the seat in protest. Minho turned, eyeing him comically. “Jonghyun, so nice of you to join us.” Minho said, the restrain of his laughter evident in his voice. “Yeah, you.” Jonghyun muttered, folding his arms over his chest. “Ouch.” Minho feigned hurt, a hand to his chest.  “Anyhow, this is Jinki and these are some of his friends.” Minho said, gesturing toward the few guys on the other side of the table. Jinki smiled, the expression making his eyes crinkle into little slits. Jonghyun smiled back politely, still not entirely happy about being here, but hey, Jinki was cute. “Do you guys come her often?” Jonghyun asked, question directed more toward Jinki than his friend. “Yeah! My boyfriend is a performer here, Kibum. Or…well, his stage name is Gwiboon.” Jinki said, correcting himself. Jonghyun’s smile faltered at that. Of course. “Yeah, Gwiboon is great. She usually opens, right?” Minho said, glancing at Jinki for clarification. Jinki nodded before the lights went out all together, the crowd cheering and hollering as the stage lit up. A spotlight focused on the black curtain on the back of the stage, before the beat of a y pop song pumped from the speakers. A well-manicured hand snuck out from the curtain, earning more hollering from the crowd as it snapped its fingers to the beat. Once the words started, the curtains ripped apart, revealing the said drag queen. Jonghyun figured this must be Gwiboon, if the look Minho shot Jinki was anything to judge by. As Jonghyun took in the lady on the stage, he found it hard to believe that it wasn’t actually a woman. The blonde wig looked unnaturally natural, curled expertly and falling past her shoulders. Her makeup wasn’t extremely heavy, but smoky enough to bring out her cat-like features. Jonghyun couldn’t do anything other than stare, as Gwiboon owned the stage in her stilettos and skimpy dress. Men were hollering, offering money at the edge of the stage, but Jinki just sat back, watching with an adoring look on his face.  

            The performance was over almost as quickly as it began, the diva strutting backstage with a flip of blonde curls over one shoulder. Jinki leaned across the table, yelling, “I’ll be back in a little while” before disappearing into the crowd.

            The next few performers were okay, a little over-done in Jonghyun’s opinion, Minho hitting his arm and whispering, “that’s what drag is all about!” Jonghyun just rolled his eyes, huffing lightly and sitting back in his seat. The lights turned a dark shade of purple, cuing the next performer. The crowd stirred up as a slender figure appeared on stage in the shadows. “Oh! This is Taeyeon.” Minho said, turning to Jonghyun with big eyes. “She’s soooo hot, dude.” Jonghyun scoffed. “Are you sure you’re straight, Minho? You’re drooling over guys dressed as girls.” He mocked, turning his attention back to the stage as the bass dropped. The figure turned around, a spotlight illuminating her figures and Jonghyun could have sworn his draw dropped to the table. Taeyeon was beautiful, no gorgeous, no absolutely ing perfect. Her brown wig looked too real, curled slightly and bouncing with her steps, the dangling earrings sparking in the stage lights. “Holy .” Jonghyun said quietly, earning a chuckle from Minho. Jonghyun fell in love as the drag queen turned around, leaning on the railing of the stairs to the stage and giving the audience a pleasant view of her shapely before smirking and twirling around. Her makeup wasn’t heavy; lips dusted a light pink and her purple eye shadow matching the sparkly purple leotard she wore, the expanse of her slim, perfect legs strutting with her every step. “Wipe your mouth, you’re drooling.” Minho chastised him with a smirk. Jonghyun couldn’t bring himself to look away until the stage lights went out, the crowd going wild. All that was heard was the click of her heeled boots on the wooden stage floor as she hurried offstage.

            Jinki came back a few performances later, looking ruffled up a bit, and glaring at Minho’s smug face. “Are you enjoying yourselves?” Jinki asked, choosing to ignore Minho and looking toward Jonghyun. The said man was speechless still, Jinki looked oddly at Minho. “Looks like Jonghyun has developed a bit of a crush on one of the performers.” Minho said, and Jonghyun didn’t even have to look to tell he was smirking like an . “Really?! Who?” Jinki asked excitedly. “Taeyeon.” Minho answered; Jinki’s smile faltering the slightest. “What? What was that?” Jonghyun asked, questioning the change in face. “Nothing!” Jinki said, smiling brightly again. “Do you want to come backstage and meet her?” Jinki asked, nodding toward a door off to the side of the stage with two huge men standing in front of it. Jonghyun looked at Jinki like a child on Christmas morning. “Really?” He asked in disbelief. Jinki nodded, getting up and bidding Jonghyun to follow him.

            Backstage was a whole different world, feminine faces atop masculine bodies running around frantically, clad in the world’s tightest compression shorts. Jinki led him down a hallway to one of the dressing rooms, knocking on the purple door lightly. There was a faint “come in” from the other side, Jinki turning the handle and opening the door. And if Jonghyun thought Taeyeon was beautiful from the audience, she was absolutely stunning up close. She turned, smiling up at Jinki. “Hi Jinki.” And then the whole façade was broken because that was one-hundred percent a man under all the makeup. “Hey Tae. Listen, this is Jonghyun and—“ Jinki started, Taeyeon giving Jonghyun a skeptical look before interrupting the other. “One of your friends?” The drag queen asked. Jinki’s smiled faltered a bit. “Actually, no. I just met him earlier.” Taeyeon frowned, a glare forming on her pretty face. “Hey, it’s okay. He’s one of Minho’s friends!” Jinki offered, Taemin sighing and turning back to the mirror and beginning to wipe the makeup off. “Great, you know, because Minho is just my favorite person.” Taeyeon said, rolling her eyes. “Yeah, yeah. We all know.” Jinki said, checking his phone. “Listen, Key is probably looking for me, so you two… don’t kill each other?” Jinki said, eyeing the both of them before leaving.

            The silence was beyond awkward, Taeyeon’s face now bare of any makeup, but still oddly beautiful and perfect. Jonghyun just stood by the door, trying to keep his eyes on the floor as the other changed out of the glitzy stage clothing and into sweatpants and a t-shirt. (He may have snuck a peak or two, no promises.) “Do you speak or…” Tae…Jonghyun didn’t know his real name, and it felt weird calling the other by a girl’s name now that he was void of anything feminine. “Uhm, I’ll just, uh…I’ll just leave.” Jonghyun stuttered, feeling that his presence was anything but wanted. The other sighed. “No, you can stay. I just… Minho and I aren’t really the best of friends. But I don’t know you, so I guess I shouldn’t judge.” The boy shrugged, sinking into the cushions on the couch, offering the space next to him to Jonghyun. Jonghyun slowly made his way to the couch, sitting down slowly. The other turned to face him, a soft smile on his face. “My real name is Taemin.” He said, offering his hand. Jonghyun shook it. “I’m Jonghyun.” He said, in a trance because Taemin was still so damn beautiful, even without the makeup and the wig and the outfit and damn. “Yeah… Jinki kinda said that a little bit ago.” Taemin said, laughing lightly. There was a brief moment of silence between them. “So, Jonghyun, what brings you to a drag club?” Taemin asked, raising an eyebrow at the other. Jonghyun frowned, looking pointedly at the cushions of the couch. “Minho forced me here, to be honest.” Jonghyun said, making the other scoff lightly. “You make it sound so terrible. …wait…are you not gay? Minho’s an , okay? He claims he isn’t gay, which he so is—” Taemin started, the slightest hint of worry evident in his voice. “No, no. I mean, I’m biual, so it’s nothing like that. I just really didn’t want to come. I…I don’t know why, but….yeah.” Jonghyun said, fidgeting with his fingers. Taemin visibly relaxed into the couch again. “Really? Hm.” He said, looking up at the ceiling. “I’m biual, too.” Taemin said then, after a few seconds of silence. He turned to Jonghyun then. “But, you know, you’re the only other biual person I’ve ever met. I don’t think there are too many of us.” He rambled, laughing a little at the last part. Jonghyun shrugged, smiling a little. “Yeah, I don’t know too many, either.” They slipped into a comfortable silence then, only to be broken a few moments later by Taemin’s phone buzzing on the table. “Oh, hey, I gotta run. I’ll uhm… I’ll see you later, Jonghyun.” Taemin said, smiling before grabbing his huge duffle bag and heading out of the room. Jonghyun didn’t even get his number.

 

            So that’s how Jonghyun found himself at the same club a few nights later that week, this time without Minho. Jinki was there, so it all worked out, slipping backstage after being mesmerized by Taemin’s performance. He couldn’t ignore the small tinge of annoyance that came over Taemin’s face when Jinki brought him backstage, though, even if it was only there for a millisecond. “Oh, hey.” Taemin said, face lighting up with an instant smile, and Jonghyun had a feeling it was all just show. Jonghyun shot a smile back, not moving from the doorway. “Hey.” There was an awkward silence then, Taemin removing the heavy makeup from the performance. “I just wanted to say you were amazing again tonight. Yeah…” Jonghyun said, gazing appreciatively at Taemin’s reflection before turning to leave. “You’re leaving?” Taemin called, making Jonghyun stop. He wasn’t expecting Taemin to say anything. “Uh… yeah. I mean, I don’t want to hold you up or anything.” Jonghyun said, resuming his position in the doorway and looking anywhere but at Taemin, who was now facing him. “Oh, don’t worry about it. I was going to grab a few drinks before heading out anyhow.” Taemin shrugged, finishing wiping his face clean. “Just give me a few minutes to look like a dude again.” He smiled into the mirror as he turned back around, his eyes meeting Jonghyun’s.

            When Taemin said ‘a few drinks’, he actually meant ‘however many it takes to get himself totally faced’. “I wannaaa go homeee I’m sleeeepyyy~” Taemin whined, practically falling onto Jonghyun from his seat at the bar. “Well, maybe you should cut yourself off for tonight, Taemin.” Jonghyun said, reaching for the glass of greenish-blue alcohol in Taemin’s hand. “Nononononono lemme finish just this one.” Taemin slurred, holding a finger to his lips and shushing what, Jonghyun didn’t know. Needless to say, Taemin didn’t finish the drink. Outside, the early autumn air was crisp, making Jonghyun debate whether the red tint on Taemin’s cheeks was from the chilly air or the alcohol. “This was sooo fun, Jonghoon.” Taemin said, smiling sleepily at Jonghyun, the said man laughing softly at the mispronunciation of his name. “But alas! I must be on my way!” Taemin exclaimed, holding his hand up and pointing in any general direction. “Woah, Taemin, let me take you to your house. You’re in no state to get there alone.” Jonghyun said, steadying Taemin as he stumbled a little. “ert! Get off of me! You’re not taking me home!” Taemin began throwing a fit, Jonghyun backing away with his hands up. “Hey, I just want you getting home safely.” Taemin blinked at him in mild confusion before shaking his head. “I live six blocks away. I usually walk though…” He said, sounding oddly sober now. Jonghyun side eyed him. “I drove here, so I can just drop you off on my way home.” Taemin seemed to contemplate things, before accepting the offer softly. “Just pull around back because I have to go get my stuff…”

            The car ride was silent; Taemin’s cheeks still tinged red under the passing streetlights and the only talk being Taemin giving Jonghyun directions to his apartment. It was only a few minutes before they pulled up to Taemin’s small apartment building. Taemin was silent and unmoving for a few seconds. “Do you need help getting up there without falling and dying?” Jonghyun asked, chuckling softly. “No, no.” Taemin laughed lightly. “I think I’ll be fine. Thanks, though. For the ride home and all.” He said, reaching for the door handle before stepping out onto the sidewalk. “Yeah, hey, no problem.” Jonghyun said, smiling genuinely at Taemin, who was taking his time getting his things from the back of Jonghyun’s car. He stopped before closing the door, obviously contemplating something. “Hey…” He trailed after a moment. Jonghyun looked over his shoulder to Taemin, the other standing in the open backseat door. “Yeah?” Jonghyun said, giving Taemin no way out now. “Uhm, would you want to maybe hang out sometime?” Taemin asked quietly, eyes meeting Jonghyun’s, the said man feeling fireworks go off throughout his body at the words. Still, he played cool and acted as if he was in deep thought. “Hm, I guess so.” He answered, smiling at the other. Taemin reciprocated the smile, grabbing his phone from his pants pocket. “Cool! Here, put your number in my phone.” Taemin said, passing his phone to Jonghyun over the console. Jonghyun quickly typed his name and number into the boxes, handing the phone back to Taemin and bidding him farewell. “I’ll text you sometime.” Taemin said, heading into his building after.

 

           

            Jonghyun suffered through a long week and a half before Taemin texted him. A simple,

           

Hey, thos is Taemin

 

Only to be followed a half a second later with a,

 

*this (I hate phones)

 

Jonghyun chuckled, rolling onto his stomach on his couch, typing out this and that and erasing it, going with a simple,

 

Hey, how are things?

 

Taemin took a couple minutes to respond.

 

Busy, but I’m free today. Want to do something?

 

Jonghyun mentally went trough his schedule. He was pretty sure he was free for the rest of the day too, it being the weekend and all.

 

Yeah, sure. What did you want to do?

 

Taemin texted back almost immediately;

 

I didn’t really have anything in mind, but there’s nothing to do at my place...

 

Jonghyun frowned at his messy living room, looking over the back of the couch at the equally messy kitchen.

 

Did you want to come here? My place is a bit messy…

 

But Taemin texted back then, claiming he didn’t care and demanding an address. Jonghyun didn’t live too far from Taemin, as he found out from the drive back to his house several nights back. It was far enough that it gave Jonghuyn time to do a speed-clean, though. He was just putting the rest of the dishes into the dishwasher when Taemin knocked on his door. “Uhm, you didn’t tell me that you lived in like the nicest apartment building in this part of Seoul…” Taemin said, mock anger in his voice as he slowly stepped inside the apartment, his eyes wandering around the big open space. “Oh, it’s not—“ Jonghyun began, only to be interrupted. “What do you do for a living? Jesus, you aren’t a drug dealer, are you?” Taemin said, side eyeing the other with a smile. “And if I was?” Jonghyun joked, gaining an audiable laugh from Taemin. “I’d have to ask to be let into the ring. This place is so nice.” Taemin said, still gawking at the place. There was a silence then, as Taemin slipped off his shoes and dropped his bag on the floor, still in aw at the apartment. It was nice, Jonghyun had to admit that. There were three rooms for bedrooms, but one he kept as a guest room and the other was his makeshift office. The living room was spacious, a giant couch complex and a decent sized TV, and his kitchen was huge (not that he ever used it). “Oh, . You have a PS4?” Taemin said suddenly, eyeing the console near the TV. “Uhm, yeah… I don’t have that many games for it…” Jonghyun said, following Taemin into the living room. “No, holy , it doesn’t even matter. You have Grand Theft Auto V and Destiny. That’s all you really need.” Taemin said, and Jonghyun could see his hands twitching to just touch the gaming console. “Well, did you want to play?” Jonghyun asked, and he really didn’t have to, Taemin nodding like a little child as an answer.

            Three hours and a pack of beer later, Jonghyun heard Taemin’s stomach growl, figuring he could probably eat something himself too. “Wanna go grab something to eat?” Jonghyun asked, sitting back and sipping from his beer. Taemin nodded exaggeratedly. “I’m ing starving.” He groaned, setting the controller on the coffee table and shuffling over to put his shoes on while Jonghyun turned everything off. They left then, walking to a small restaurant that Jonghyun raved about. After stuffing their faces and Jonghyun refusing to let Taemin pay—the said boy’s face tinted pink as Jonghyun slid a shiny credit card out of his expensive wallet—they walked back to Jonghyun’s apartment slowly, taking in the glow of the autumn sunset. “So, what exactly do you do?” Taemin asked, watching his feet alternate as he walked. “Hm, I have a job.” Jonghyun said, laughing at Taemin’s offended scoff. “No, I thought that all of your stuff was just charity from someone.” Taemin said sarcastically. “Nah, I work for a music company. I’m a lyricist.” Jonghyun said softly, smiling at nothing in particular. Taemin nodded silently. “That’s different.” He said, falling silent. Jonghyun glanced at Taemin then. “And you? What do you do? I mean, other than the drag queen thing…” Jonghyun said, clarifying himself as Taemin gave him a confused look. The other’s face went normal then. “Oh… I go to college. I’m hopefully going to graduate next year.” Taemin said, the both of them falling into a comfortable silence again as they neared Jonghyun’s building. “Why do you do the drag queen thing, if you don’t mind me asking…” Jonghyun asked then, quietly, unsure of boundaries. Taemin shrugged as Jonghyun unlocked the door to his apartment. He’d been questioned before; it was nothing new. “I don’t know. I mean, it makes a lot of money so it’s helping me save up to pay off college. And I’ve been told I make one hell of a pretty girl.” Taemin answered, smirking at the last part. “Well, that’s 100% true, you do make a beautiful woman.” Jonghyun laughed, setting his keys on the island counter in the kitchen, turning to look at Taemin then. The other had some look on his face that Jonghyun couldn’t quite place. It looked akin to hurt, but a little angry too. “Hey, did I say something? I didn’t mean to be rude or anything asking why you do it, I just wondered…” Jonghyun began, nerves on fire at the fact that he maybe made Taemin upset. Taemin smiled sadly then, shaking his head. “No, no. It’s just that people only ever really highlight the fact that I look good as a girl.” Taemin responded, voice barely above a whisper. Jonghyun stayed silent, eyes trained on the other for a few seconds. “If it means anything, I was more amazed by the fact that you drink beer, play video games, eat like a teenaged boy, and you still look amazing out of drag.” Jonghyun said then, throwing caution to the wind. Taemin smiled then, laughing lightly. “Yeah?” He asked, glancing up at Jonghyun. “Yeah.” Jonghyun answered, smiling softly at the other. Taemin stalked forward slowly then, connecting their lips lightly once he reached Jonghyun. Even though Jonghyun was shorter than him, the angle was nice, Taemin chancing a swipe of his tongue across the seam of Jonghyun’s lips, in turn making Jonghyun gasp lightly and part his lips willingly. Their kisses grew more hungry then, Jonghyun sliding onto the counter to be at Taemin’s level, hands exploring the other’s thin waste. Taemin groaned lowly as he ground his hips into Jonghyun’s, pulling an equally frustrated groan from the other. “You better not have been lying, because I really want to sleep with you right now.” Taemin said harshly. Jonghyun tilted his head back, laughing loudly before regaining all seriousness. “Never. I’d never lie to you.” He whispered, reconnecting their lips.

 

--------------------------

A/N: Something I've been working on ever since the drag queen show at my university last month!!! I've got a lot of stuff in store for all of you hopefully by the end of the year, so be prepared!!!!