Chapter 2

Limelight

"

Kris

Sajangnim Lee Soo Man is sitting on his swivel chair with a grim expression. He's not happy obviously. This isn't the first time that I made trouble. But this is the first time that it got published. I'm pretty sure that Sajangnim wants to kick me out of EXO. But he can't. And he won't. My networth is too precious. In the end, it's all about the cash. That is why I agreed to that woman in the first place. I won't be affected by this issue. I won't get any hate from the articles. 

I was bored. There's not much happening the Hallyu industry. I didn't want the attention, hell no. With my popularity, I already got enough of that. I just wanted to have fun.


That day, I was dying because of boredom. We just came back from a concert in Taiwan. The members are all exhausted so they headed straight to the dorm. I am tired too but instead of going to the dorm to rest, I went to this old coffee shop that I used to go to when I was a trainee. I opened the door and I was greeted by the smell of aromatic coffee and... old people. It's been a year since I last went here. This is why it's my favorite place on Earth. Their coffee is legendary. It's really delicious. And there no one who knows me. I have my freedom. No blinding camera flashed. No screaming fans. Perfect. I headed to my favorite spot in the coffee shop. Beside the window, away from the old men playing mahjong and away from the ahjummas quietly drinking tea. 

I was baffled when I saw someone was sitting there. She's not an old woman. She's a lady who's about the same age as me. I never saw her here before. Is she perhaps my fan who stalked me all the way from the airport? Is she one of those sasaengs, I thought.

A cup of frappucino was placed on her table and a book on her hands. I sat on the vacant chair in front of her but she didn't even look. I cleared my throat and that's when I got her attention. She glanced at me and placed her eyes on the book once again, completely uninterested. That's not the usual reaction though. People would scream. Some would cry. I saw a few who fainted. For real. 

The two of us just sat quietly for five minutes until she spoke. "It's true then." She said.

I didn't know what to say. What is she suddenly talking about?

"Idols these days are rude. Didn't even greet someone three years your senior." 

I was confused. I didn't even know who this girl is. And now she's saying that she's my sunbae of some sort. How? Who is she? Or is she making up something just to talk to me? 

"Still not gonna give your respect? I debuted in 2009. When I was rookie, I would greet everyone. Even those who are younger than me." She said firmly with an arched eyebrow. 

I laughed mockingly, "Excuse me, but do I know you?" This girl is ridiculous. Debuted in 2009? Is she telling me that she's an idol too? I don't even know her. But I kind of recognize her face. Is she my fan? Is she someone who has been stalking? Have I seen her in fansign before? In a concert?

She smiled. The kind of smile that would make most people intiminated by her. But not me. "After School. Ring a bell?"

"You're from that group? How come I don't know you? Are you a former member who got kicked out?"

"You should do some research. I'm still active." I said. "You're from that flimsy group right? EXO? Saw your MR removed performance. You guys are really untalented."

"I don't have time to do research. I'm too busy singing in sold out concerts." Flimsy group? Untalented? At least, people know us. 

"You mean lip synching?" She said mockingly. I don't understand why people go to your concert just to see you dance and lip sync. Young people are really dumb."

"Yeah. I agree. There are about 40, 000 people who wasted their money just to see us in our concert in Seoul. About 50, 000 in Japan. 25, 000 people in other countries." I said, emphaszing the numbers. I'm not bragging. I'm just telling this girl to know her place. 

"Of course. You're from SM." She said. "You should be thankful to the doctors who fixed your face. Really. This is an advice coming from a senior. Take care of your face, that's where your money comes from."

Before I even got to speak, she talked once again. "And oh, what hospital do SM kids go to? I want to know how they turn ugly ducklings into gods and godesses." 

"Don't act like you didn't have any work done."

"I didn't."

"Figures. That's why your face is like that."

After what I said, she stayed silent. Did she get offended? Well, I don't give a . She started it. She suddenly smiled, "Let's date."

I was confused. We were arguing a while ago and now she wants to date me. Am I that good looking? She fell for me that fast? 

"Let's date. I want to be famous."

"Okay." I said. She was confused at first because she didn't think I would agree that fast. But I have my reasons. 

And that's what happened. We went out of the coffee shop and walked through the empty hallways. She spotted the paparazzi holding the camera who has been hiding all this time. And that's when she grabbed my hands. We held hands while walking, just to show off. From afar, I can see paparazzi smiling. Looks like he'll be promoted. He's really bad at hiding though. Must be a new paparazzi on training. 

"Smile. Look happy." She kept reminding me as we walked together. 

She stopped walking and faced me. "I''m gonna do something drastic." Before I could even talk, she cupped my face with her cold hands and looked me in the eye. She propelled her face near mine and gave a sly smirk. "Ah, the internet will be crazy. After School and EXO. Kissing and holding hands. Who would've thought?" After ten seconds, she stepped back and continued walking with me.

I was silent the whole time. Well, I didn't know what to say. And from here, I can still the paparazzi following us. "Why are you so quiet? Are you disappointed that I didn't kiss you for real?" She said.

I sneered at her. What's with this girl and her oozing confidence? She's not that pretty. She's tall though, I'd give her that.

"I'm sorry to get your hopes up but I prefer UEE." 

And when I thought of it, I don't even know her name. Or age. And I'm not sure whether she's really from After School or not. What if she's just another lunatic fan? Oh , I'm in trouble. 

"Are you really from After School? How come I don't know you? How old are you anyway?" I asked continously. 

"After School Nana. Google it." She said. I took out my phone from my pocket and typed in After School Nana in the space bar. I was relieved when I saw her profile come up.

"Let's end it here. My manager will pick me up soon. Don't stay here for too long. Fangirls might kidnap you. I got what I wanted. Don't worry, you won't have antis. They always attack the girls." She said and went back inside the coffee shop. 

I took time to read her profile.

 

Nana
Nana from acrofan.jpg
Background information
Native name 임진아
Birth name Im Jin-ah
Born (1991-09-14) September 14, 1991 (age 23)
Origin Cheongju, South Korea
Genres K-pop
Occupation(s) Singer, model
Years active 2009–present
Labels Pledis Entertainment
Blood Type A
Body Measurement 171 cm; 49 kg

 

Korean name
Hangul 임진아
Revised Romanization Im Jin-a
McCune–Reischauer Im Jin-a
Stage name
Hangul 나나
Revised Romanization Nana
McCune–Reischauer Nana
 
49 kg for 171 cm? Is that even a proportion of a human being? Do her company feed her? And, she's 23 years old. I'm 24. She should be the one giving respect. Senior, my . Age will determine everything. 

And that's how I had a girlfriend in one day.