FIN

One Last Song

 

“I have to let you go.”

That was her last words. She couldn’t think of anything but she knew she could never hold on to her love anymore.  She was supposed to let go but she just couldn’t. Love was just stupid like that.

The song kept playing in the background. She should have tried to keep her love but she knew she shouldn’t be the one dragging her ex down with her.

“Amber, can you please calm down?”

“That’s my pizza and Luna ate it!”

“I’ll buy again.”

“No! She’s a mean chick!”

“Oh come on, I thought you were out!”

“Well, you already eaten Krystal’s share so why are you still eating mine?!”

She could hear her house mates fighting just outside her room.

“Shh, Krystal’s sleeping. She’s not been sleeping well these few days.”

“Why wouldn’t she? She broke up with Yoona unnie.”

“Why did she do that when she loves Yoona unnie so much?”

“It’s because of Jessica unnie. You should know Yoona unnie’s relation with Taeyeon unnie.”

“But it doesn’t make sense. Why did she give up just because her sister asked her to?”

Krystal closed her eyes and their words kept haunting her mind. They were right. Why did she give her love up just because of a stupid family feud?

“She loves Jessica unnie. She respects her a lot. Maybe it’s easier to give up on the relationship than to lose someone with a blood relation.”

“If I were Krystal, I would never give up. If I love my special someone, I’d do what it takes to set things right.”

“Easier for you to say, Amber. Krystal’s not as strong as you are.”

Krystal shut her world; she didn’t want to listen anymore. Amber doesn’t know anything. She struggled to keep her love alive but it was not meant to be. Nevertheless, Krystal couldn’t stop wondering how her ex-girlfriend was doing.  She recalled that night when she had to break the news to Yoona that she has decided to give it up.

It was so heart-wrenching.

-

“Have you made up your mind?”

Krystal couldn’t lift her head up to meet with Yoona’s eyes. She nodded.

“So what do you want us to do?”

“I’m sorry.”

Yoona was crestfallen but she had already anticipated it anyway. Krystal loves Jessica a lot.

“I understand.”

“I wish I didn’t have to make this decision but you know how crazy the situation could get.”

“I know. Taeyeon unnie has spoken to me too. I feel like we’re trapped in our sisters’ fight.”

“I don’t know anymore. I don’t want to let you go but I have to.”

“It’s okay, I understand. Now, don’t you cry anymore; we’ll be fine.”

“You think we will? How should I live my life without you anymore? I would wake up in the morning and you’re no longer by my side. This is so hard for me.”

“I know. You’re not alone.”

“What should I do? I can never hear you sing for me anymore.”

“Then I’ll sing one last song for you.”

-

The day after the break up, Krystal woke up feeling empty inside. She recorded Yoona’s singing in her phone; she was listening to it again and again. Her heart was breaking into pieces when she heard Yoona’s quivering voice. This was so wrong.

Why were they the victims?

“Krystal, are you awake?”

Krystal looked up to find her older sister, Jessica at the door. She was angry at her sister. She was mad at her and Jessica knew. She knew Krystal has broken up with Yoona. Krystal returned drunk last night and Yoona sent her home. Jessica was the one who opened the door and Yoona told her they were through.

Jessica didn’t mean to hurt her sister or Yoona. She has always treated Yoona as her little sister so it hurt her when Yoona just walked away after sending Krystal home. There was no goodbye; there was nothing. Jessica took her sister back to her room and Krystal was crying. She was mumbling.

“I love you, Yoona unnie. I love you. I know I’ll regret this so much. But I cannot give up on my sister too. I’m sorry.”

She was guilty. She knew her sister would never be the same anymore.

“Krystal, it’s late now.”

“What do you want?”

“It’s almost lunch time.”

“I’ll get up whenever I like.”

“Krystal..”

“Are you happy now?”

Her little sister’s question was almost rude but Jessica knew her sister was mad at her.

“I’m sorry, Krystal.”

“It’s too late. I’ve broken up with Yoona unnie. She has slipped from my grasp, unnie.”

“Krystal, you’ll be fine.”

“I hope so. Now I’ve done what you wanted me to. So leave me alone.”

“Krystal..”

“Just go. Leave me alone.”

Krystal threw her pillow at Jessica and the older sister left the room. And Krystal kept playing Yoona’s singing voice in the background.

That was her only comfort for her broken heart.

-

Krystal decided to share a flat with her university mates. She couldn’t live under the same roof with her sister and her parents relented. Her family forced her to give up on Yoona so they decided to let her choose her way of getting her heart healed.

But they knew she wouldn’t heal.

“Krystal ah, we’re going out for dinner. Do you want to join us?”

That was Victoria unnie.

“No, I’m not feeling well.”

“Okay, I’ll buy back for you.”

“Thanks unnie.”

“Rest well, okay?”

Krystal heard the front door opened and closed. Her flatmates were gone. Krystal took out her phone and scrolled down the mp3 list. She stopped at “One Last Song – Baby”. It has been 9 months since Yoona left but she couldn’t bear to delete it.

She pressed the play button and Yoona’s voice could be heard.

Take my hand, touch my face
Let me feel your embrace
Let me see in your eyes
That you won’t say goodbye
Just tell me how you feel
I don’t know what you’re thinking anymore

And if you need me, you’d kiss me
Then tell me how you feel
And if you want me, you’d show me
That your love is for real
And if you love me
You’d hold me in your arms where I belong
So while I’m feeling strong
I sing you one last song

Let me ask time has passed
Do you feel this could last
If you don’t, why then stay
Take your wings, fly away
I love you way too much
To wanna be the one who brings you down

And if you need me, you’d kiss me
Then tell me how you feel
And if you want me, you’d show me
That your love is for real
And if you love me
You’d hold me in your arms where I belong
So while I’m feeling strong
I sing you one last song

One last song I sing for you
Like I always did
This time it’s for real
I never come to you like this
Expecting you to turn my kiss
Oh no no no no no

And if you need me, you’d kiss me
Then tell me how you feel
And if you want me, you’d show me
That your love is for real
And if you love me
You’d hold me in your arms where I belong
So while I’m feeling strong
I sing you one last song
Oh yeah
I sing you one last song
I sing you one last song

Tears fell immediately. Yoona’s voice resounded on her mind. She knew she hasn’t gotten over her ex-girlfriend. It was so difficult and she hasn’t seen Yoona for so long. She wiped her tears away.

“I miss you, Yoona unnie. I miss you so much.”

-

Krystal decided to head out. She was a little hungry and she knew her flatmates would take a long time to return. So she went to the nearest food stall and bought some snacks. Suddenly a familiar perfume kept lingering nearby. It was the same as Yoona’s perfume. Her heart skipped a beat.

“Yoona unnie, hurry up!”

“The food stall won’t go anywhere.”

“Yes I know but the food might!”

“Since when you turned into a shikshin?”

“It was your fault.”

“Okay, okay. So what do you want to eat?”

Krystal saw Yoona with a girl. She was holding Yoona’s hand as they made their way into the stall. Yoona hasn’t seen Krystal yet but it was enough for Krystal.

Yoona has found another.

It hurt like hell.

Krystal couldn’t control her tears so they fell profusely. She was about to leave when Yoona finally noticed her. But it was too late.

Krystal ran out.

“Krystal!”

She heard Yoona screaming her name but she ran as fast as she could.

She needed to get away.

-

“Krystal, what’s wrong?”

Victoria was home when Krystal ran in and bumped into her. She fell onto the floor with a thud and Victoria was horrified to witness Krystal’s eyes turning redder and swollen.

“Krystal? Where did you go? Did something happen?”

Amber and Luna rushed out from the kitchen and saw Krystal on the floor. Amber got down on her knees and held on to her.

“Krystal?”

“Amber, I saw her.”

“Who?”

“Yoona unnie. And she’s with someone new now.”

“Are you serious?”

Krystal was crying bitterly.

“I regret leaving her, Amber. I want her back, Amber!”

“Krystal, calm down.”

“I cannot live without her! I need her, Amber!”

“I know, Krystal.”

“Amber, please.. please ask Yoona unnie to come back to me. I don’t care anymore. I want her back right now!”

Krystal was pitiful. Her flatmates felt sorry for her; they wanted to help her but they couldn’t put comforting words for her. Just then, someone appeared at the front door.

Krystal was already crying her heart out.  She didn’t even look up.

“I cannot do without her. I need her. I don’t want to sacrifice my heart just because of my family. I love her; and I’ll do anything to have her back in my arms.”

Someone was hugging her from her back. The person’s chin was on her shoulder as pair warm hands circled around her waist.

“I want her back.”

The person nodded.

“Can you help me?”

“How do I help you?”

Krystal was stunned; that voice was so familiar. She glanced over her shoulder and saw the girl she needed so badly was hugging her.

“I heard you. I want to help you. So how do I help you?”

Yoona smiled at her.

-

“You ran away before I could explain.”

Krystal was stupefied. Yoona explained the whole situation to the girls including Krystal. The girl Krystal saw with Yoona earlier on was her cousin.

“She’s Seohyun. Don’t you remember her, Krystal?”

“What? That’s Seohyun unnie?”

“Yes, that’s her.”

“She looks different.”

“Yeah, she looks more like a lady than a girl, right?”

“Okay, let me get this right. Krystal saw you with Seohyun unnie and then assumed you’ve met someone new. And then stupidly ran all the way back to our flat in tears; begging you to come back to her?”

Krystal was embarrassed. Luna was giggling away and Amber rolled her eyes at how dumb Krystal could be.

“I was blinded by emotions!”

“You could have just greeted Yoona unnie before running home like a mad woman!”

“I couldn’t bring to show myself to her!”

“And so by crying to us would bring Yoona unnie to you?”

“Well, it did. She was hiding behind the gates all the time.”

The girls turned to Victoria.

“YOU SAW HER?!”

“Duh, I saw her running behind Krystal when this girl bumped into me and fell onto the floor but Yoona put a finger on her lips. So I just shushed.”

Krystal’s face was flushing red. She couldn’t believe how stupid she was and how dumb she must have looked.

“Why didn’t you give me the heads up?”

“I just wanted you to lash out at us. You’re so broken but yet you carried the burden to yourself. Your heart needed a scream so this was the best time.”

“Oh my god, I’m so embarrassed.”

Krystal covered her face with her hands but Yoona gently pulled them away. She leaned closer and hugged her tightly.

“I’m so glad you did. Now I know the truth of your heart. Honestly, I couldn’t put you away too, Krystal. I didn’t throw you away; I thought myself I should quietly wait for the day that you’d be mine somehow. This is just a phase of time that we needed to get through.”

Krystal looked at Yoona earnestly.

“You’re still waiting for me?”

Yoona nodded. She wrinkled her nose.

“You still love me?”

“I’ve never stopped.”

“You said you want to help me?”

“Yes, tell me what I should do to heal your broken heart.”

There was certain radiance on Krystal’s face.

“Can you return back to me?”

“It’s my pleasure.”

-