Candy, Jelly, Love

Candy, Jelly, Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Are you busy later? I heard from Jisoo that someone bought the house next to ours. We'll have to greet our new neighbors when everyone gets home... Hey, are you listening?"

"Yeah, that's nice..."

The younger of the two girls clicked her tongue at her distracted housemate, who was busy scrutinizing the boxes of instant noodles lining the shelves. Mijoo cheered under her breath as she lifted a box off of a shelf. "This brand finally has a spicy flavor?!"

Jin cringed, recognizing the bright, distastefully coordinated colors of the box. "Seriously? You might as well eat the box. Those noodles taste like cardboard. Can't you buy anything that tastes better?"

"You're not the one eating them; I am. Personally, college has been a very enlightening experience. Cardboard doesn't taste so bad when you're broke, and I've learned how to cook instant noodles in at least fifteen different ways since I started sharing a house with you girls."

Jin took the box out of Mijoo's hands and returned it to its place on the shelf. "Find a better brand, I'll help you pay for it."

"Awww, thanks Jin-Jin!" Mijoo exclaimed, hugging her friend from behind. "I'll pay you back whenever I get money."

"Don't worry about it. I'm gonna go grab some ingredients for tonight's dinner. I'll meet you at the checkout area." Mijoo nodded and Jin left, heading towards the vegetable section.

"Let's see, let's see..." Mijoo mumbled to herself as she walked down the noodle aisle, eyes scanning the rows of boxes. A particular red and white box caught her attention, and she immediately went to it, picking it up. "Wow, I haven't had these since I was living at home... Should I buy a box?" She slapped a hand over her chest once she checked the price. "Damn! They might as well take an arm and a leg from me! Do they think I'm made out of money?"

With an indignant huff, Mijoo prepared to set the box back on the shelf, until she noticed a girl in the next aisle over. The girl was searching for something on the opposite side of the shelf. The college student unconsciously stared at her fellow shopper, amazed by how cute the girl appeared as she earnestly studied each item. The girl was standing directly across from Mijoo when they finally made eye contact. Her thin lips curled into a warm smile, surprising Mijoo. Woah, she's cute. 

She responded with a toothy grin, prepared to initiate some conversation when she realized that the girl was wearing uniform - from the high school near her college. Ack, underage.

A panicked Mijoo slammed the box of expensive noodles onto the shelf, abruptly cutting off any further communication she could've shared with the younger girl. Nope, nope, nope. I'll just...get these. Mijoo seized the closest box of decently priced noodles and scurried toward the checkout area.

On her way there, Mijoo spotted her favorite feature of the supermarket - the sampling stand. She decided to take a quick detour and approached the man distributing the samples of the day. "Lovelyz Jellybeanz, the best brand of jellybeans you'll ever have. Get a bag today for half the standard price." That was exactly what Mijoo needed, a little bit of sugar to put the pep back in her step. She lost some faith in herself when she nearly flirted with a minor.

Unfortunately (not for Mijoo), there was only one remaining portion cup on the tray, and she was going to take the last one. She gave the employee a small smile as she reached for the paper cup, suddenly feeling soft skin brush against her hand. She looked down and saw a petite hand touching hers, reaching for the paper cup as well. Her eyes flickered to the side and she paled instantly upon seeing the underage girl she left behind.

"Oh, it's the pretty girl." The high school student observed, her ponytail bouncing on her shoulder as she giggled. "Hi."

"Hello again..." Mijoo hesitantly greeted, inwardly groaning. Maybe she should've went straight to the checkout but samples were pretty much free food, and Mijoo relished in all the free things in life. There was a reason why people called them the best, and she wasn't going to allow this girl to take the last portion, regardless of how cute she was. Mijoo subtly wrapped her fingers around the paper cup, tugging it toward herself but the girl surprisingly resisted, squeezing the cup and pulling it in her direction.

"I'm your unnie, you know?"

"Unnie, you don't really want these sample jellybeans, do you? You can buy a bag for yourself." The girl spoke sweetly, showing off her dazzling eyesmile which had no effect on a determined Lee Mijoo.

The older girl chuckled and shook her head. "Oh no, I definitely want these jellybeans. Why don't you have your parents buy you a bag, sweetie?" She applied additional strength in pulling the portion cup to herself, beaming at the younger girl.

"I really love candy, unnie, and I would really appreciate it if you let me have these jellybeans. My parents are growing reluctant about letting me have sweets, so I have to eat them in secret. It'd be a good idea if you let me eat them before they find me here." The employee in charge of the sampling stand slowly backed away, noticing that the tension between the two girls was increasing.

"Hm, that's unfortunate but I'm a college student struggling to survive and these jellybeans are going to be the first taste of sweetness I've had in a while. So I'm not planning on letting up soon."

"Don't you have better things to do than bicker with a high school student over a sample of jellybeans?"

"Don't you have better things to do such as studying and apsiring to get accepted into an excellent college like myself?"

"Jellybeans will give me just the motivation I need to do those things."

"It takes more than motivation to get into college, you need a good, healthy brain too. And someone with a good, healthy brain would know not to put up a fight."

The girl glanced at the white watch adorning her wrist. "Sorry unnie, but I can't afford to waste any more time." Mijoo's eyes widened in horror as the girl used her other hand to reach into the portion cup, scoop up the delectable jellybeans, and shove them into .

"You did not just do that!" Mijoo howled, pointing an angry finger at the victorious jellybean eater. 

"Wow! These are so good!" The latter chewed noisily, with delight and smirking at her fuming opponent. The high school student began to tease Mijoo, blowing her sickly sugary breath onto her scowling face. "Don't you wish you were eating these?"

"Ooh, you brat! Wait until I find your parents! This will be the last taste of sugar you'll ever have!"

"Find them, unnie, find them." The high school student goaded, flipping her ponytail over her shoulder.

"You just wait here, brat, I'll show you what happens when you mess with adults - "

"Mijoo, what the hell are you doing?" Jin called out as she finally found her housemate, currently quarreling with an obviously younger girl. She stood between the girls and muttered an apology to the younger. "Come on." Jin tugged on the hem of Mijoo's jacket and dragged the grumbling girl to the checkout area. Jin heard Mijoo screech one last time as the high school student stuck her tongue out, displaying all of its jellybean-dyed glory.

 

 

"I hate kids." Mijoo spat, loudly drumming her fingers on the counter as she waited for the water on the stove to boil. "They're evil. All of them."

"Are you seriously still fuming over that? It was just a stupid sample." Jin complained from the living room.

"Yeah, well that stupid sample symbolized my pride and dignity, the very essence of my life! And I watched that brat gobble it right down." Mijoo's hands curled into fists at the very thought of the deceivingly cute girl.

"You're so dramatic."

The jingling of keys right outside the door caused all the girls to pause as they anticipated someone's entrance. "Jiae is home~ And very tired~" The girl announced sleepily as she shuffled in.

"Alright, that's everyone! Let's go greet our new neighbors!" Before Jiae could even react, Kei ushered the poor girl back outside, where she had just been a few seconds ago. "Mijoo! Are you coming?"

"Yeah! I'm just gonna pour the water into my noodles first. I'll be there soon."

"Okay!" And with that said, all of Mijoo's housemates left, leaving her all alone. 

Mijoo leaned back into the counter, sighing as silence took over. Despite the fact that she was suffering from financial hardship, she actually enjoyed the college life: sharing a house with other students, doing work and studying whenever she pleased, and living independently. Her housemates were nice, and they all got along well. She felt as though her next two years in college would progress smoothly and peacefully.

 

 

"Sorry, I'm a little late. My name is Lee Mijoo, and I'm a second year at the college not too far from here." Mijoo introduced herself as she passed by her housemates to the family standing in front of their newly purchased home. "I was just - "

Mijoo's mouth fell open once her eyes fell upon a certain high school student, who appeared just as shocked. "You...!" Before Mijoo could say anything else, Jin nudged her sharply in the side and sent her a reprimanding glare. Mijoo quickly regained her composure and cleared . "Excuse me. Your daughter is quite lovely, so I was surprised." Only after those words had emerged from her lips did Mijoo realize how creepy it sounded.

Luckily for her, the couple laughed it off, patting their nervous daughter on the back. "Yes, our precious baby Yein is such a cutie, isn't she? We hope she can quickly adjust and make friends, please take care of her!"

Mijoo grinned at Yein, folding her arms over her chest. "Oh, don't you worry, we will." 

 

 

Although Mijoo was pleased that she would be given a chance at revenge, (because she was the type to become very petty, even over jellybean samples) she wasn't so sure about living next to the obnoxious girl. She didn't think they could reconcile after that incident at the supermarket. She stretched her arms, getting ready to collapse onto her bed when she saw something outside of her window - light.

Since the house next door had been unoccupied for so long, Mijoo's eyes were immediately drawn to the bright display, and she peered outside her window. Oh crap.

She definitely did not expect to catch Yein in the midst of undressing, the light from her bedroom window illuminating her fair skin as she slipped out of her uniform. Mijoo wasn't really thinking as she watched the girl. She raised an eyebrow. Bright pink and blue candies were printed on the girl's undergarments. What the hell? Who would wear that kind of pattern?

Mijoo didn't realize what she was doing until Yein's head turned and their eyes met. Out of reflex, the older girl ducked down. Mijoo crouched on the floor, feeling incredibly dumb. That was a suspicious action, wasn't it? Now I look like some kind of ert. At least I don't look like a shameless ert. She nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard light but steady tapping at her window. Must be the police. That was fast.

Slowly, Mijoo stood up, somewhat relieved to see a dressed Yein standing outside of her window. She tried to behave as naturally she could, unlocking and opening the window. "What?"

"Don't 'what' me. You were totally spying on me while I was changing." Yein immediately accused, narrowing her eyes.

"It was an accident. I didn't even know that your room was right across from mine."

"You ert. You didn't have to stare."

Mijoo scoffed. "There's nothing I'm interested in staring at except for those ridiculous undergarments of yours. You're in high school, what are you wearing?"

The light from Yein's bedroom revealed the violent shade of red on the latter's face. "Th-That's none of your business! I'll wear what I want! You're the problem here, ert."

"Get some curtains so nobody else will see."

"You already saw more than enough, ert."

"Are you gonna keep calling me that?" Mijoo poked her head outside to glare at Yein, realizing that she and the younger girl could easily climb out of their bedroom windows if they wanted to escape without alerting anyone.

"Yes I am, ert! ert, ert, ert - " Mijoo clasped a hand over Yein's mouth as she continued with her muffled exclamations of 'ert'.

"Seriously, are you trying to start something? What do you want from me?" Yein yanked Mijoo's hand off of her face, gasping for air.

"You don't tell my parents what happened at the supermarket." Yein offered in a hushed tone, glancing back at her house.

"Ahaha, I see. So you do have a bit of a good, healthy brain. Well, whatever, that's fine. So you have nothing on me, and I have nothing on you. Truce?" Mijoo held out her hand, and Yein gladly accepted it.

"Truce."

"Okay, now go to sleep, small children like you need to sleep in order to grow strong and healthy." Mijoo retreated into her room and slammed her windows shut, laughing at Yein's offended reaction. She couldn't hear a thing but saw the girl's lips move before she trudged off to her bedroom, climbing inside and closing her window.

 

 

Mijoo groaned like a reanimated corpse, dragging her feet up the path to her house. She had just finished attending her lectures and now she was finally back home - where homework would be waiting for her. She glanced to the side and noticed that there were curtains hanging in front of Yein's bedroom window. Curtains with a lollipop design. Of course. That brat really does love her sweets.

Mijoo unlocked the door, flinging herself through the threshold. "I'm ho - What is that face for?" Mijoo's housemates were sitting in the living room, grinning widely. A little too widely for her comfort. "What is going on here?"

Smiling, Jisoo lifted up a large gift basket filled with all kinds of sweets and treats. 

"What?" Mijoo uttered, unimpressed.

"This is yours. Guess who left them for you~ Hint: He's in your Humanities Core class."

Mijoo's eyes never rolled back as far as they did once she made the realization. "Are you kidding me? I told the guy, loud and clear, that I am not interested in him in the slightest. What does he not understand?"

"He even came here to drop it off for you, isn't that sweet?" Jisoo teased, making smacking sounds with her lips.

"Ugh, he's so annoying." Mijoo reluctantly took the basket from Jisoo and marched into her room, setting the unwanted gift in the corner of her room. She didn't really know what to do with it so she just left it there, hoping it would maybe disappear after a while. She pulled her sweater over her head and threw it on her bed. Then she plopped down in front of her desk, grabbing a hairtie and tying her hair into a ponytail. I'll just do a bit of homework right away.

 

 

After about an hour of devastatingly tedious chemistry problems, Mijoo decided it was best to take a break before she lost her mind. She whirled around in her swivel chair, thinking about what she should eat. She eventually glanced outside of her window and saw a familiar high school student leaning against the side of her house. What is she doing?

The younger girl was still wearing her uniform and even had her backpack strapped onto her back, although school should have ended a while ago. Yein stared at the grass blankly, sighing and fiddling with the straps of her bag. Mijoo usually minded her own business, (and she wasn't exactly eager to dive into Yein's) so she wasn't sure what prompted her to stand up and open her window to talk to the obnoxious younger girl.

"Hey brat, why are you loitering on my lawn?"

Yein looked up and Mijoo swore she saw the girl's expression brighten for a split second before she frowned. "This is my lawn too."

"Yeah, yeah. So what are you doing out here? You're making me nervous. I feel like you're gonna TP my house or something."

"My parents are at work and I just got back from school. I forgot to bring my keys." Yein explained sourly, curling the end of her ponytail with a finger.

"I see. What time are they coming back?"

"My mom will be back in two or three hours, depending on traffic." Wow. That's late.

"So what are you gonna do now? Stand there and wait until she comes back?"

Yein shrugged, and Mijoo admittedly felt bad for her. "What

Please log in to read the full chapter