Reminiscence....

Reminiscence

You’re looking at your shoes making the pit-pat sound on the concrete pavement, also watching the water droplets fall onto the ground, making no sound but making little splashes on the ground. You look up, seeing your pitch-black umbrella almost camouflage with the maroon blue sky of the night. You then shiver at the cold, piercing wind blasting against your black coat. You fasten your steps, following the dim lights from the alley lamps giving you. The roads are silent in this time, and it just makes your steps fasten even more. You never liked the night much, and you’ve always been warned of dangerous people at the night in alleyways just waiting to ambush you.

Then, you hear another pair of shoes click-click. You look up, and find a tall boyish-looking girl just standing in the rain with no umbrella, her hoodie being soaked in the rain, having earphones in her ears and her shoes clicking to the assumed beats. She looks young, around only a university student, with her black bag swung on one shoulder. You furrow your eyebrows at her appearance. What was she doing? You go up to her figure, and as if she knew the whole time even with the music playing in her ears, she turns and smiles at you.

“What are you doing?” She questions, taking one earphone out of her ear, but what struck you is that her voice was familiar… too familiar.

“I could ask you the same.” You curtly reply, standing right next to the girl figure. “Even without a umbrella.” You raise your eyebrow at the empty-handed girl. The girl responds with a loud laugh, which surprises you. No one responded your criticisms with a laugh.

“You haven’t changed, at all. I bet you don’t even remember me.” She winks at you, making you even more confused as you frown at the reply. You search your mind for the girl’s figure, but you get nothing. You awkwardly rub your nape.

“Uh I’m sorry?” The girl laughs again at your little pleading and you had to resist rolling your eyes.

“Oh Sehun, this will be the first time you actually sound sorry.” The girl laughs again. “You have definitely changed, my friend.” She pats your shoulders, chuckling. “How about you dance with me, then I’ll forgive you.” The girl walks off to a soaked bench, and carelessly dumps her bag there. You watch at her in amazement. “I-in the rain?” She shrugs, grinning. “What’s wrong with you, Sehun? I thought you loved rain. Now come on.” She makes a follow gesture, and she unplugs the earphones from her phone and scrolls down for a song, while you close the umbrella and you shiver at the cold-water droplets splash against your skin. “Sehun, don’t act weak, I know you like the cold.” You frown at her comment. “I don’t like the cold.” She smiles at you. “Well you used to at least.” She stops scrolling as she looks at her choice of song, presumably. “Yes this song! You should remember dancing to this one.” And she presses onto her screen, and you can hear the faint music of the song you always loved: This Love by Maroon 5. She quickly turns up the volume, and you and her start to freestyle duo.

You are amazed by her swiftness, flexibility and how she fit with you so well in your choreography. It was as if she was another copy of yourself. You and her dance flawlessly, now you are unaware of the rain splashing against your skin, nor the cold wind that touches your skin. As you dance, you feel a strong emotion flow through your arms and body that surprises you. What was this feeling? Your heart was making that longing tug as you set your eyes on the girl dancing before you and you question in your mind: Who are you?

But nevertheless, the song ends and she laughs, that wild wolfish laugh that’s always been familiar. “That was such a nice time, Oh Sehun, I wish to see you again soon.” At those words, your heart pain, with no reason you seem to know. As she swings her bag onto her shoulder again, she salutes, winks and walks off, your body seems to act by itself. Your pace fastens as you pursue the girl, and you harshly swing her around to face you, and you press your lips onto hers. Then you realize the girl with that swift motion, the owner of those lips you painstakingly missed and ached for, the girl who had your same passion for dance, the one who managed to warm your cold heart with her kindness and optimism.

Yu NaRin.

As you realize, you hug her and push the kiss deeper, having missed the soft lips that always made you smile. She kisses back smiling through it, and she breaks it off, grinning.

“You do not greet your friend by kissing him or her, do you?” You take no heed in her saying and hug her tightly, nuzzling her neck.

“I missed you…” You whine hurtfully like a kid. She chuckles and hugs back, rubbing your back. “Sh Sehun-ah, I’m back, and that’s all that matters. I’m surprised you remember by kissing me.” She chuckles again, as you still nuzzle her and kiss her cheek. She looks at you with that oh-so-familiar loving look and she your hair softly. Oh, how you missed those touches. You smile broadly at her presence. You just wish time would right now; let you have infinite time with your first love again, her lemon-honey scent just engulfing into bliss.

But, time seemed to oppose with you, and the sun rises quicker than you like. She then whispers urgently to you.

“Sehun-ah, if you wish to see me again, come here, you know this place in your heart, at midnight sharp. I’ll be there, always, waiting for you.” As confusion settles into you, the world before you dissolve and you yell in anguish and the disappearance of your love.

You are encased in a world of nothingness, and you suddenly burst out, and you blink your eyes and take a deep quivering breath, and you find yourself in a white boring hospital room, surrounded by nurses who gasp at your movement. “Patient Oh Sehun is up!” The nurses simultaneously yell as they run out, and you frown at their actions. Then, a doctor familiar to you rushes to you. Dr. Xi.

“Are you fine? Do you feel anything?” The always calm doctor asked rapidly, and you frown, and reply, “I’m fine, Dr. Xi. What’s the commotion?”

“You’ve been in a coma for 3 months, son. Your parents having been so worried.” You scratch your hair as you look at the pitch-black night accompanied by the pit-pat sounds of the rain, which makes you recall the meeting of your love, and your head is struck with the memory. “What time is it, Dr. Xi?” You ask quickly. He frowns and looks at his watch. “11:45 my dear.” Realizing you only had 15 minutes, you set off, taking off the medical equipment on you and run to the exit, and run off to the place you knew so well. Your feet are now a rapid blur, and you hear nothing but your deep breathing and the sound of your shoes hitting the road as you run. You cannot feel the cold rain dripping on your shirt, but instead feel your sweat running down your face.

You finally arrive at the familiar place you had danced on, panting and holding your knees as you catch for breath. Regaining yourself you walk over to the bench, and another memory struck you on the head. Yu NaRin is dead. You remember the scene where you cried for your love again, painfully. You frown but sit on the bench, looking at the river that soothed you for so long that you do not remember with its swishes of water caused by the wind.

“Hmph, at least you’re punctual. I wish you were like that long time ago.” A familiar voice calls out from the back. “I cannot believe you sometimes, Oh Sehun.” You turn with glistening eyes as you look at the smiling hooded girl who walks towards you, and you stand up and tackle her with a hug, as you whisper blissfully:

“Yu NaRin…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“…You’re back.”