A Year in the Making

365
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day One:

 

He sat on the couch in his home with his head in his hand. His parents were fascinated with whatever was on the television, but Kyung just couldn’t bring himself to do more than sit there with his eyes closed. His head was spinning and his stomach was doing flips. “I am going to be sick,” he groaned. There was slight hum of acknowledgement from one of his parents, but Kyung did stay there to see if they would say anything else. He ran to his room and slammed the door before sinking to the ground. He grabbed a shirt from the ground and screamed into. This couldn’t be happening to him. There was a picture across the room that caught his eye. When he looked at the two smiling faces of the seven-year-old boys nestled in the silver frame, a small tear rolled down his check. “Dammit,” he whispered.

 

Day Thirty-Four:

 

He was sitting on a park bench, watching small ripples form on the surface of the pond as the fish eagerly snapped up the insects that flew too low. The peaceful scene did little to calm his nerves. In fact, he felt quite a bit like the bugs above the pond, just waiting for the moment when he would be swallowed whole by the feelings he was trying so hard to restrain.
“Kyung-ah!”

He whipped around to face the direction of the sound, a grin spread across his face. Then a warmth spread through his chest and his smile faltered. Oh no, please no.

The boy – no…man - came and sat down next to him.

“Jiho-” Kyung started to say, but his best friend cut him off.

“So I met this girl today and man, she was…” He seemed at a loss for words so he settled for stretching out and putting his hands behind his head.

Kyung looked away when Jiho tried to meet his gaze.

“Are you okay?”

“Uh, yeah. So this girl?”

“She is beautiful...and she has the most amazing legs!”

Kyung sighed quietly.

 

Day Seventy-Five:

 

Kyung had his arms around his friends shaking shoulders.

“How could she, Kyung?” Jiho asked, his voice quivering with a mixture of anger and sadness.

Kyung didn’t know what to say so he just pulled his friend closer and held him.

“Was I not good enough to her, Kyung?” He asked, though it was obvious he didn’t want an answer. “Was I not enough so she had to find love in a different m-” Jiho’s voice cut off as a sob ripped through him.

Kyung’s heart ached for his suffering friend, but there was more than that. He knew that his feelings were more complex than he was willing to admit. He wanted to find this girl and scream at her until she felt half as bad as Jiho did. Or better yet, until she felt half as bad as he did. He wrapped his other arm around his friend and Jiho buried his face in Kyung’s shirt.

“Shh, Jiho,” he whispered as he tightened his grip. “You’ll be okay.”

Jiho’s shoulders shook with each sob.

“I’ll make sure of it.” Kyung whispered to himself.

 

Day One Hundred and Forty-Three:

 

Kyung was sitting on the floor of Yukwon’s apartment, a drink in his hand and a drunk Jiho passed out against his shoulder.

Everyone had succumb to the alcohol a while ago and most of them had fallen asleep sprawled across the couch and the bed, but he and Jiho were in the hall by the bathroom. Jiho had too much drink and had thrown up then begged Kyung not to leave him. He hadn’t moved since then.

He looked over Jiho’s sleeping face and small smile settled on his lips. Jiho was drooling a little, but this didn’t bother Kyung. The longer he stared a Jiho, the closer he moved toward him and it wasn’t until his nose brushed against Jiho’s blond hair that he realized what he had been about to do. Hesitantly, he planted a light kiss on his friend. The warm feeling spread in his chest, that same warm feeling he has been trying so hard to push back. He sighed into Jiho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter