I Will Always Love You

I Will Always Love You

Eunsook was lying down on the bed waiting for Minho to finish his shower before they sleep. She loved to cuddle into him at night. They have been together for a year. She looked at the picture on the night stand. It was a picture from two years ago.

A picture of Eunsook, Minho and Taeyeon. Her heart hurt every time she saw it. It reminded her of their past. How she struggled to be with Minho. How she worked hard to reignite Minho’s will to live.

“Sookie what are you doing?” Finally Minho finished bathing and approached the bed. He sat next to Eunsook and wrapped his arms around her.

“I’m just looking at this picture. It’s been two years since that time.” Minho looked at the picture and in that moment Minho’s body became stiff. Eunsook felt it and looked at Minho. “Oppa?”

Minho took the picture and looked at it. His hand traced the picture for a while before he put the picture back on the night stand and lay down beside Eunsook.

“Let’s sleep Sookie, you must be tired plus tomorrow you have to go to your store early in the morning. You told me someone ordered 250 cupcakes for tomorrow. So sleep now, ok?” Minho kissed Eunsook’s forehead and pulled the blanket to cover them.

Eunsook looked into Minho’s eyes, “Night Oppa. I Love You.” She pecked his lips and smiled.

“Night Sookie. I Love You.”

Eunsook felt hurt. Every time Minho said those three words he never looked into her eyes. Eunsook knew that every night when he thought that Eunsook was asleep, he’d sit in the balcony and stay there for a long time while holding the picture. He’d cry silently while hugging the picture. Like tonight, Eunsook hid behind the balcony door and looked at a sad Minho.

“Taeyeon, why did you leave me? I’ve tried hard to forget you. I’ve tried to let you go. But I can’t. No one knows that I still love you even now. My love for you will never fade away. Tae I’m broken. I’m an empty shell without you.” Minho began to cry, “I miss you Tae. I miss you so much.”

Eunsook can only shed silent tears behind the door. She covered to stop herself from sobbing aloud and returned to bed. She knew that Minho was still deeply in love with Taeyeon despite the fact that they were together for twelve months. Eunsook cried herself to sleep once again, like every other night.

From early in the morning Eunsook pushed herself to work. She drowned herself in work to forget what happened last night. Once all cupcakes ordered were made, she sat near the coffee table and looked so tired and dejected.

“Sookie, are you ok? Have you eaten lunch?” Minjung, her best friend asked in concern.

Eunsook shook her head as Minjung sat next to her. “What’s wrong Sookie? Why you look so sad? Do you have problems with Minho?” Minjung patted her head and smoothed her hair in comfort.

“Nothing, actually. I just feel so sad. My heart hurts Minnie. We are in a relationship but it seems like everything is futile and meaningless. I know he will never love me the way I love him. He never looks me in the eyes when he says ‘I love you’. It hurts Minnie. It’s been two years since she left, but he never stopped loving her.” Eunsook cried on Minjung’s shoulder who hugged her and drew circle on her back in an attempt to soothe her aching heart.

“Sssshhh. Sssshhh. Sookie sssshhh. Calm down Sookie. I know how hard it is for you. I saw it myself, your effort to be with him. Ssshhh Sookie. You have me here. You have Key and Junghee also.” Minjung broke into tears while holding Eunsook. She knew how fragile Sookie’s heart was. She knew the pain in Eunsook’s heart.

Minjung and her friends wanted to ask her to leave Minho but when they saw Eunsook’s love for him they didn’t have the heart to suggest it.

“Just go home and rest Sookie. You need it badly. Leave the café with me ok? Call Minho to pick you up, ok?” Minjung said the only thing she could.

Eunsook nodded her head and did as suggested.

 

A week later

Minho and Eunsook were shopping in the mall. They were looking for clothes when suddenly Minho stopped. He saw a girl that really looked like Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon!” Minho was about to chase after the girl but Eunsook held his hand tight.

“Oppa please.” She began to tremble and that made Minho change his mind.

Minho took her to have lunch in a nearby Japanese restaurant. During lunch Minho just stayed quiet. His mind wondered about the girl he’d seen earlier. He didn’t realize the hurt in Eunsook’s eyes.

Then suddenly someone called him. “Minho-ya! How are you? Long time no see.” A man with dino-like face approached him and enveloped him in a hug.

“Hyung! Omo, long time no see. Where have you been?” Minho hugged the man back.

“I’m in Japan, working in one of my father’s company. I returned to Korea two days ago. My dad asked me to take care of the main branch.” He then looked at Eunsook “And she is?”

“Ah, sorry. This is Dong Hae hyung, my best friend in college.” He explained to Eunsook and then turned to Dong Hae, “This is Eunsook. My g-girlfriend.” Minho found it hard to say last word.

Dong Hae stretch out his hand “Hi, I’m Lee Dong Hae.”

Eunsook shook his hand, “Hi, I’m Lee Eunsook.” She tried to smile at Dong Hae.

They sat down and chatted when a girl approached them. “Dong Hae Oppa! Where have you been? Your father is going crazy looking for you.”

Once Minho saw the girl, he stood up in shock.

“Taeyeonnie! You’re here!” Eunsook sounded just as shocked. She then looked at Minho who was staring wide eyed at the girl.

“Eunsook unnie and Minho oppa! Er, how are you?” Taeyeon looked at them in bewilderment.

“All of you know each other?” Dong Hae dumbly asked.

Minho couldn’t say anything. He just stared at Taeyeon.

“Oh, ummm, Minho oppa and Eunsook unnie were my best friend.” Taeyeon explained to Dong Hae. “Oppa let’s go back, your father is about to explode. See you later Minho oppa and Eunsook unnie.” She pulled Dong Hae out of the restaurant.

After a few minutes of standing like a statue, Minho suddenly exploded into action and chased after them.

“OPPA!” Eunsook cried after him as he left her alone. She felt broken. “Oppa, am I that meaningless to you?” She whispered to the vacant seat in front of her.

She waited for a long time but Minho did not return. Finally, she went home alone.

Since that day Minho changed. He no longer returned home early. He often went out and the worst was he seemed to have forgotten about Eunsook.

Eunsook was always alone at home. Her days were no longer filled with joy. She stopped smiling. She spent most of her day crying her heart out. She even cried herself to sleep because Minho stopped holding her in bed.

 

December 09 was Minho’s birthday. Since early morning Eunsook kept reminding Minho about the night. They were going to have a romantic dinner in one of Eunsook’s favorite restaurant. Minho only nodded and pecked Eunsook’s lips before he went to work.

In the evening, Eunsook dressed nicely and put on simple make up before she went to the restaurant. She was so nervous, afraid that she looked bad. She lovingly hugged her present for Minho and waited for him to come. Their reservations were for 6.30, but she came thirty minutes earlier. As she waited for Minho, she smiled at the thought of Minho’s reaction to her present.

Fifteen past the fixed time, Minho hadn’t showed up. She tried to call Minho but no one answered the phone. “Maybe he’s stuck in a traffic jam,” She tried to remain optimistic.

When it was 7.00 Eunsook started to fidget in her seat. Minho was nowhere to be seen. Her heart started to break into pieces. “Oppa, did you forget?” She again tried to call Minho but couldn’t reach him.

At 7.30 pm she decided to leave. She couldn’t reach Minho and there was no call from him. She was afraid of a mishap with him. She walked slowly and looked around.

As she passed Minho’s favorite restaurant, she stopped in her tracks. She saw a couple having romantic dinner together. It was Minho and Taeyeon. She couldn’t believe what she saw. Tears flowed like river from her beautiful brown eyes. Then she tried to call Minho one more time. This time he answered the phone.

“Hello! Sookie?”

“Oppa, happy birthday!” She sobbed as she spoke, “Seems like you forgot that we were to have dinner tonight. I bet you’re really having a good time now.” She sobbed harder, “I–I’ll be waiting for you at home. Please say my regards to Taeyeon.” Unable to control her sobbing, she hung up before Minho could respond.

Minho was dumbfounded on hearing that. He looked outside and found Eunsook looking at him and crying hard. He’d totally forgotten about their appointment. He watched as Eunsook turned around and walked away. Minho felt guilty to see Eunsook like that, but for him at that moment only Taeyeon existed.

The next day Minho found Eunsook sitting in the balcony, hugging her knees to her chest. He sat next to her.

“Oppa, do you love me?” Suddenly Eunsook asked. She couldn’t hold it anymore. She needed to know.

“I, I.” Minho’s words stuck in his throat.

“I knew the answer already oppa. I knew from the very beginning you only love Taeyeon. Your heart was and always beat for her and never for me. I know I forced myself to replace her and I failed. Do you ever see me oppa? Do you ever love me? Even if only a bit? Do you know oppa, lately you’re rarely home. Every time I miss your presence I’ll close my eyes and pretend that you are here hugging me and loving me like I love you. I know oppa I’ll never have your love. Even when we are together I feel so lonely because I know that though you’re here with me, your heart and your mind is always with Taeyeon. Lately, when I cry you don’t even move, you don’t even try to wipe my tears. I know every night before Taeyeon’s return you always sat here and cried your heart out. Called her name, whispered how much you missed her. I kept quiet though it was slowly killing me inside. I hoped that given enough time you will realize how deep my love for you is. But those were false hopes which slowly faded away. Oppa look at me and say that you love me please? I’m begging you oppa.” Eunsook told Minho about all her feelings.

“I, I love you Sookie.” Minho hugged Eunsook tightly. He didn’t have the heart to add more scars to her heart. He knew she did a lot for him, but unfortunately his heart never belonged to her. And especially since Taeyeon’s return, he knew it never would.

Though Minho hugged Eunsook tight, she knew that the hug was meaningless for him. It was only a pity hug from him. She cried harder feeling her heart shatter even more. “Please oppa don’t leave me. I beg you.” Eunsook looked into Minho’s eyes, hoping Minho would agree. She just couldn’t think of her life without Minho by her side.

“I won’t. I’ll be by your side Sookie.” Minho saw the hurt in Eunsook eyes that made him unable to refuse her.

“Thank you oppa.” Eunsook hugged him back. She knew it was false hope and she’d never have Minho’s love or care. She felt bad for forcing Minho to stay with her. But she needed him in her life to survive.

Days passed by. Minho tried to be with Eunsook most of the time, but what his heart desired was to be with Taeyeon. Though he hugged Eunsook, kissed Eunsook and even had with Eunsook, he couldn’t fool his heart. He only loved Taeyeon.

 

2 months later

Eunsook woke up with a nauseous feeling that made her run to the bathroom. Lately she was not feeling well. She got tired easily. When she told Minho about it, he asked her to go to doctor. That day Minho had promised to take her to doctor after lunch.

She was waiting for Minho to fetch her, when suddenly her phone rang. It was a text from Minho.

“Sorry Sookie, I can’t leave my work for now. Go and see doctor without me ok? Please tell me what the doctor said ok.”

Eunsook had no other option after she read the text. She walked to the bus station and went to the hospital.

“Lee Eunsook-ssi, congratulations you are 6 weeks pregnant. Here is the test result for your pregnancy. I am writing a prescription for vitamins, don’t forget to take them.” Her doctor gave her the news.

Eunsook was very happy to hear that and planned to call Minho as soon as possible. She bowed to the doctor and left the room.

As she was leaving, she saw commotion in the emergency area. She asked a nurse what happened.

“There was an accident between two cars and both drivers are hurt badly. One is a pretty girl.”

“Thank you.” Eunsook walked to the entrance where she spotted Dong Hae. “Dong Hae-ssi what are you doing here?”

“Taeyeon had an accident just now and was taken to the emergency room. How about you Eunsook-ssi?” Dong Hae answered in a panic.

“Omo! Taeyeon had an accident? We better rush to the ER now Dong Hae-ssi.” Dong Hae nodded and went with her to the ER.

Eunsook fidgeted in her seat and wondered if she should tell Minho about it. When she was about to call him, suddenly Minho open the ER room door.

“TAEYEON! Hyung, where is she? How is she? Is she ok now? Hyung answer me!” Minho shouted at Dong Hae. He didn’t even realize that Eunsook was also there.

“Relax Minho! Taeyeon is still in the ER. We don’t know yet. Besides you’re supposed to worry about your girl not Taeyeon.” Dong Hae tried to calm Minho.

“She is my girl hyung. Taeyeon is my girl. I can’t lose her again. Not again.” Minho cried, afraid something bad might happen to her.

“But your girl is -” Before Dong Hae could finish his sentence, Eunsook interrupted.

“Dong Hae-ssi please not now. We are still waiting for update on Taeyeon’s condition.” Eunsook didn’t look at Minho. She tried hard to hold her tears.

“Sookie, I, how, I -” Minho became incoherent when he realized that Eunsook was there.

“I was having my regular medical checkup oppa.” She said knowing that Minho had even forgotten the reason she was in the hospital.

Doctor came out from the ER room, “Who is Ms Lee Taeyeon’s acquaintance?”

Dong Hae raised his hand and they went near to the doctor.

”She has got broken her ribs and legs plus she hit her head on the dashboard hard. There is swelling in her brain. I’m afraid she might be in coma. Let’s just hope for the best. If she wakes up in three days then her chances to live are high. She is being moved to a room. You can see her there.”

They all went to Taeyeon’s room. It broke Minho’s heart to see so many medical equipments attached to her. “Taeyeonnie, please wake up. Don’t leave me again. Please.” Minho held her hand and cried brokenly. Eunsook went home with a broken heart and tears running down her face.

Minho remained in the hospital, sitting next to Taeyeon and looking at her sadly. Next day Eunsook entered the room and saw Minho’s state. She came to Minho and said “Oppa, let’s eat first. You haven’t eaten since yesterday. Please don’t be sick. Taeyeon needs you. Come let’s eat downstairs.” Eunsook held his hand and pulled him from the chair.

Minho refused to budge from his seat. Then Dong Hae entered and said “Eunsook-ssi is correct Minho. Just eat first. You need the energy. I’ll take care of Taeyeon while you eat.” Finally Minho nodded and followed Eunsook to the cafeteria.

Eunsook held his hand “Oppa please eat. You need it oppa. It’s for Taeyeon.” Minho took his hand from Eunsook’s grip and started eating. Eunsook’s heart hurt a lot, but she forced herself to smile. She was broken inside. She couldn’t even tell Minho about her pregnancy.  After eating, Minho returned to Taeyeon’s room. Once again he forgot about Eunsook’s existence.

Everyday Eunsook saw Minho look more fragile while taking care of Taeyeon. On day 3, Taeyeon finally woke up. That made Minho jump in joy. He refused to let anyone else take care of here after that.

Three days after Taeyeon woke up, Eunsook decided to visit Taeyeon and brought her some flowers. Eunsook asked Minho to take care of the flowers. When Minho went out, she talked to Taeyeon.

“Taeyonnie. How are you? Getting better? I hope you get well soon.”

“Eunsook unnie. I’m fine. How about you?”

“I’m fine. Here’s a letter for you and Minho. Please read it later with him. I’ve decided Tae. He belongs to you. He never stopped loving you no matter how much effort I made to make him love me. He is still madly in love with you. Please take care of him for me, will you?” tears swam in her eyes.

“Unnie!” Taeyeon tried to say something to Eunsook but she cut her, “Tae sorry. Please don’t say any words. I, I’m going now. Take care” Eunsook hugged Taeyeon and left the room.

When Minho returned, he saw that Eunsook had gone and Taeyeon was crying.

“What’s wrong Yeonnie? Why are you crying? Where is Eunsook?” Minho shushed her and hugged her carefully.

“She left oppa. She asked me to read this letter with you.” Taeyeon showed the letter to Minho.

Dear Taeyeon and Minho,

Before you read this I would like to apologize to both of you. I’m not supposed to be between both of you. Both of you are inseparable.

Tae, I don’t know what was the reason for you to leave Minho just like that. He was broken badly and even lost his will to live. I tried my best to be by his side all the time till finally he noticed me and asked me to be his girl. Maybe that time I was full of joy so I didn’t notice that his request was only because he felt lonely and empty. Days went by and I slowly realized that he never truly loved me.

Everynight I saw him sitting in the balcony while holding your picture and crying his heart out. I heard every night how he missed you badly, how he whispered that he love you.

Every time he hugged me, I felt empty. I gradually realized that his heart never beat for me. Though he was there with me I felt lonely. No matter how hard I tried, my love never reached his heart. Though he held my hand, I didn’t feel warm.

All this time I kept quiet and hoped that one day he’d love me like I love him. But once again my hope slowly faded away. He never knew I silently cried at night thinking about him. I still could hold all the pain until you returned. The time he saw you in the mall with Dong Hae-ssi he was shaken badly. And I realized then that I couldn’t keep him with me any longer.

No matter how many times he said ‘I love you’ to me, he never looked into my eyes. I never saw him smile happily with me. But when he was with you, he smiled brightly.

I have decided to leave Minho. From today onwards we are no longer together. He is free now.

Tae, Minho loves you very much. No one can ever replace your position in his heart. Please don’t leave him again. Please take care of him for me. No worries Tae, I’ll stay away from both of you. Please don’t look for me. I pray for both of you to have a happy life. I love both of you truly.

Tae, I am sorry that I got a very beautiful and meaningful gift from Minho but I can’t return it to him. This is the one and only gift I got from him, so please forgive me for keeping it.

Love,

Eunsook

PS: Here is the key to the apartment.

 

Both Minho and Taeyeon cried after they read Eunsook’s letter. They just realized how badly they’d hurt her, yet Eunsook still cared and forgave them.

 

Eunsook packed all her things and looked around the house. She remembered all the bittersweet memories with Minho. She cried hard, not willing to go, not willing to let Minho go, but this was the right thing to do for both, no for three of them.

“Eunsook are you done? You have to be at the airport soon!” Eunsook heard Key shout. She quickly wiped her tears and walked to the front door. She turned to look at the house one more time.

“Goodbye Minho, I hope you are happy with Taeyeon. I will always love you.” She then rubbed her tummy. “My baby, please forgive umma for not telling appa that umma has you in here. Starting from today there will be only us, without appa. Your appa has finally found his happiness. So my baby let’s pray for him.”

She went out and closed both the door of the apartment and of her heart.

 

        ~fin~