03: don't do that again?

City Diaries

“I’m leaving!” you announced, bowing to the rest of the staff. It’s 6.30am and your shift has ended.

You’re tired and sleepy as hell. Adding to that is the thought of yourself getting abandoned by the guy you love, for the sake of protecting himself. You understand that it’s dangerous for him to be in crowds for people might recognize him, but you still can’t get the slight disappointment out of your heart. He hadn’t contact you until midnight which you knew it was because he’s practicing for their upcoming comeback and you haven’t check your phone since.

When you finally open you phone, you’re surprised to see it flooded with notifications. 28 missed calls, 21 KakaoTalk messages, 7 text messages. All from the last 3 hours and the same number:

Giant baby Park Chanyeol.

Oh , I hope he doesn’t do something stupid.” you cursed under your breath.

Looking through his messages were him saying sorry for leaving you, asking you where you are, asking you why you didn’t answer his calls. You then messages him back: ‘I was on my night shift, going home now. Where are you?’

Send.

Not too long, he replied: ‘Home’

Huh? Okay,” you didn’t reply him back right away because you thought he’s safely at his dorm with the rest of EXO members. Besides, all you wanted right now is a proper bath and a good sleep.

Reaching your apartment floor, you saw a man sitting on the front door. Crouched, exactly. Hugging himself to survive the strong fall breeze that’s already bringing a winter’s sharp needles to your skin.

“Chanyeol?!” you called out, making the man raise his head.

Oh my god! PARKCHANYEOL!! What are you doing here??! It’s so cold out here!” you ran to him and undo your coat, putting it over him as he haggardly tried to stood up.

“(Y/N)-ah..” he reached out for you, but stumbles down. You’re within his reach, thankfully, as you help him support his own weight.

“YA! Park Chanyeol! Why are you like this?! Hold on!” you help him lean on beside your door as you pressed your apartment password in. The door opens, but before you could move, a pair of hands wraps itself around you, hugging you from behind.

“(Y/N)-ah… Mianhae… For leaving you.. Please forgive me…” he breathed out slowly, one breath each sentence. “I’m really sorry. I should’ve stayed with you. I’m s-”

You turn your back, cupped his pale and cold face between your palms. “Ya, ParkChanyeol… You don’t have to do this, you know?” you smiled and pressed your forehead against his. His cold breath brushed against your face.

“Give me 5 days. No, three. Yes, three is enough,” he mumbled.

“For what, giant?

“The song. I’ll finish it. Just please don’t leave me, I-- ”

“Hey, hey, it’s okay! I forgive you, okay? I’m not going anywhere. You don’t even have to do all this… We’ll have to warm you first,” you cut him off, helping him with his shoes before assisting him inside.

Your apartment was small, with just one bedroom, a living room together with dining room and one small bathroom. Since this giant won’t fit on your small couch, you guided him to your bed. Even on your bed, his feet still somewhat sticks out. You then cover him with all the bedcover you had until he become a giant bundle of sheets.

“Tokki-ah, kajima…” he mumbled again as you left to take some warm water for him.

“I’m just taking some water for you, giant,” you replied and soon came back with a cup of warm sweet tea. You didn’t know how long he has been there so you just thought some sugar would help him. “Drink up,” you put the cup near his lips, in which he gladly gulps everything down.

“I’m sorry Chanyeol-ah, I didn’t check my phone cause I was on my night shift,” you said when his cheeks finally had a tint of pink.

“Ani, I’m the one sorry. I shouldn’t have left,” he hung his head, too guilty to look at you.

“I understand, giant. Now I think you need some sleep. Don’t fuss too much. just go sleep,”

“Thank you, (Y/N)-ah. I’m sorry you have to take care of me again,” he mumbles before being quickly taken away by the warmth and comfort of the fluffy sheets. Not too long, you could hear his soft snores. You smiled to yourself and decided to take a nice warm refreshing bath.

- - -

You’re half asleep on your couch when you heard a ring from the direction of your bed. Part annoyed, you got down and search for the ringing phone. It must’ve been Chanyeol’s, since the ringtone isn’t yours. You found his phone on the lamp table beside your bed.

‘Leader Suho Hyung’

I guess I have to answer him,” you think before pressing the green circle on the screen.

“Chanyeol-ah! Where are you?!” Suho sounded like a mother losing her child.

“Annyeonghaseo, Suho oppa,” you greeted him. For a few second, the line goes silent.

“Who are you? Where is Chanyeol?” he sounded careful now, more aware and half growling.

“It’s me, (Y/N), oppa. Chanyeol is with me in my apartment,” you smiled to yourself, perhaps Suho has mistook you as a sasaeng.

“Oh! (Y/N)! I’m sorry, I thought I might have to call the police!”

“It’s okay, oppa. Do you have a schedule today?”

“Not really, we just have to finish practicing, that’s all. Is Chanyeol alright? He didn’t come back to the dorm last night. He said he needs to work on a song and so we left him at the company when we finished practicing at 1am,”

“Ne, oppa, he’s alright now. I think he went and waited outside my apartment until I came back from night shift about half an hour ago. He was curling out of cold when I found him, but he’s sleeping soundly on my bed now. Don’t worry, he can come back to practice as soon as he woke up,” you assured Suho that his dear child is safe with you.

“Thank you, (Y/N)-ah. Do you need anything? Can I help you with anything? That kid was acting weird since yesterday afternoon. Did something happen to you two? I hope he didn’t bring too much trouble to you,” and now he sounded like you’re also one of his children.

“It’s nothing oppa, I’ll be okay. I can take care of him. I have done so before, remember?” you played with the sleeping giant’s black hair. You bet to yourself that in a few days he’s going to have his hair colored.

“Ah, yes, I know. Anyway, can you wake him up before 1pm? We really need to finish the preparation,” he sounded hesitant to ask you another favor, but right now you’re his only choice.

“Arraseo, oppa.”

“Thanks again (Y/N)-ah. I’ll leave Chanyeol to you. I’m sorry for causing you so much trouble. Please take care of him,” being the polite and caring leader, Suho thanked you again before ending the call.

You set an alarm at 12pm and you quickly turn yourself back to lay on your coach because you’re simply too tired to do anything else. All you wanted to do now is sleep. You then allow yourself some hours to take you away in a refreshing sleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Your alarm woke you up on time.

Having the annoying ring turned off, you sat straight and rubbed your sleepy eyes.

“Tokki-ah! I was just going to wake you up,” a voice was heard from the tiny counter beside you.

“Chanyeol? What are you doing?”

“Cooking lunch!” he shows off his teeth-rich smile. “Ya, bunny, why don’t you have more onions?”

“What? Onions? Uh..” your half-awake brain has definitely failed you.

“Come here, I’m almost done. Let’s eat together!”

“Wait. More onions? Onions? You went about my stuff?! Yah! You looked through my counters, didn’t you?!” you went up to him. He simply just smiled and nodded.

Oh goodness,” you frowned. “Rude! Okay, fine. But your cooking has to be delicious, get it?”

Chanyeol nodded.

“Here you go! Doenjang jjigae!” he presented to you his dish. You have to admit, it does look and smell good. Taking a spoon, he took one scoop of his soup and blew on it. “Aaaaahh~!” he asked you to open your mouth.

“It’s not poisoned, is it?” you .

“Ya! Open your mouth!” he protested.

You smiled and comply, allowing him to feed you. Much to your surprise, the taste pretty much exceeds your expectation. The amount of sweetness, sourness, and the all the spices get along at the right proportions. The beans were perfectly cooked too; it was soft but not too mushy. Everything melts perfectly under your tongue. Perhaps the surprise can be easily read for Chanyeol were smiling all along, already knowing that you loved his cooking.

“Yah, giant, did you really made this? Not ordered it somewhere?”

“Of course I cook this myself!” he was so proud of himself.

"Not even asking kyungsoo how to do this?"

"Ya! I'm perfectly capable of cooking this myself, you know!"

“Tch. I have to admit this tastes really good!” you admitted, taking the bowl from him to scoop yourself some more.

* * *

“Tokki-ah…” Chanyeol put down his spoon, his soup still half filled.

“Hm?” you are too busy eating and blowing the soup to pay too much attention. Both of you were sitting on the floor, eating on the short dining table.

“Don’t do that again?” he didn’t look up.

“Hm?? Do what? Did I spill my soup?” you checked around for any spots on your table that was from your soup.

“No, not that. Yesterday…”

“Huh?”

“You know… That guy…” he trailed off, playing with his spoon, turning it around and around.

“Ah!! So you were still there yesterday?” you narrowed your eyes.

Chanyeol nodded. His nervousnes added to the fact that he still saw you with another guy has put everything together. Then you knew he was jealous. You knew why he did all this. You knew why he was so worried that he called your number again and again. You knew why he was at your doorstep.  You can’t help but smile. Yes, the feelings you two shared were mutual. You can’t deny that you are in love with each other. But being the adults you two are, both decided not to take some sort of committed relationship due to his job as well as your studies.

“Ya, sasaeng fan! Did you stalk on me yesterday?” you interrogate him teasingly.

Chanyeol, with his eyes still glued on his bowl, nodded again.

“What did you see?”

“You. Him. Together. Working, walking. Laughing. He buys you another drink,” his voice barely audible even with the cross table distance between you two.

“Yah, giant! Whose fault is it that left me alone anyway?” you smirked.

“I KNOW! I’m sorry, (Y/N)-ah…. Please don’t do this…” he finally looked to your eyes and pleaded. That moment, your heart melted. Oh those puppy eyes. Shining sincerely, expressing how he really regretted leaving you. To be honest you don’t really expect him to stay anyway. You understand him. And now, seeing this beagle pleaded to you has made you filled with guilt. You however have made your resolve to longer.

“I don’t know, Chanyeol...”

“Tokki-ah…  I’m really sorry… I contacted you as soon as practice ends but you didn’t answer me.”

“He is my sunbae, you know. I will be working with him in the hospital,”

“I-… ah.. I… I thought you might be home so I came here. But you’re not opening the door for me either,”

“You didn’t even know I have work yesterday, did you?

“No…” he hung his head again. “I’m really sorry, (Y/N)-ah..."

Oh how you have tortured him. He can’t think of anything but the image of you laughing with another guy. Ask s and you’ll know how messed up his concentration were last night. How much he wants to punch that guy right on his nose. Make him bleed for being too close to you. How much he wants to pull you to his side and claim you his.

“One condition before I can forgive you, giant,” you motion your finger and made him lean closer to you from across the table. This time, you’re the one grazing your lips over his ear. You played it like how he did. One breath. Two. Three.

“Finish the song!” you whispered and press your lips against his cheek. Yeah, just like how he did to you. A light kiss on the cheek.

Frozen for two full seconds, he blinks; his brain processing hard of the events just happened. He the slowly pull back, one hand palming the cheek that is now burning as it has just touched your lips.

“YES I WILL! Three days! I promise this time! I really promise!” he giggled like a little kid, easily spreading the infection of happiness to you.

“YAH! Take care of your comeback first!! You can do the song later! I just met that guy yesterday and besides, he already had a fiancé!” you chuckle. Hearing that, Chanyeol pouted.

“Yah, you’re as annoying as Baekhyun hyung sometimes!” he sulked. His heart was however feeling lighter than ever. The chain that has bound him since last night has just been cut off. He can breathe properly now.

“Ya, finish your food quick! Suho oppa called earlier and told you to come back to the practice room before 1pm,” you pointed at the clock with your chin. He has about 25 minutes left, in which the train and the walk to SM might take him more than 15 minutes.

“Uwha!!” he then gulps down everything in his plate. While doing so, you rose from your seat and took a towel. You throw it around his neck as soon as he separates his lips from the bowl.

“Go clean yourself up. Use my bathroom,” you sat back down to finish your own lunch.

“Oh? Thank you, bunny!” he rushes and slam your bathroom door. Not too long, he came back out with a wet head, but still the same clothes. He thanked you again, hugged you for a moment before rushing out of your apartment on his snapback and mask. He promised he’ll contact you again as soon as he can.

Looking at his back, you can only smile at how this giant is acting. Sometimes he’s just trolling you until you’re frustrated, yet other times he’s just so lost, not knowing what to do. But all the time, never has he ceased to be your source of energy, your source of happiness.

 

Oh how much you treasure him.

 

 

Him and the smell of gentle vanilla and musk from the ladies soap he used from your bathroom.

Yup. :)