01: Start

City Diaries

“Tokki-ah..”

 

“Ya!! Tokki-ah!”

 

BUNNY!!

 

A finger snaps itself to your forehead, disturbing your train of thought that has been running hot for the last hour. Annoyed, you put your headphones down and look up, ready to curse at the finger’s owner

“Yah!!” you snap, your eyes meeting the disturbers’. Looking at the face before you didn’t make your mood any better. That man has been the reason you’re here, for the last two hours. Alone.

“You’re late,” you fold your arms and turn your attention back down to the book.

“Mianhae, tokki-ah… We have just finished recording,” that deep voice reasoned and sat himself down, unhooking one side of the black mask he’s wearing, leaving it hanging on his left ear.

“You could at least tell me before,” you reposition your noise-blocking headphone back to your head, showing him how much he had test your patience.

“You know I don’t touch my phone during practices and recordings…” his hand reached out and gently push your left headphone off your ears. He continues to trace the corners of your face before tucking your hair behind your ears.

 

“All these years and I still can’t stay mad at him for more than 5 minutes,” you think to yourself as his index finger gently lifts your chin, inviting your eyes to lock with his. “All these years and those pair of dark brown irises still gets me lost”

 

You knew he was recording for their 4th full length album. You knew he couldn’t contact you beforehand. Besides, you don’t have any right to get angry. It’s not like you’re his girlfriend or anything. It’s not like you’re here wasting your time either, you’ve been studying quite effectively. Whatever that is, you just can’t be angry at him.

 

Yes, him. Him, who twisted your brain inside out. Him, who bend all logic inside your mind. Him, who got you chuckling to yourself every time you remember him. Him, just him, who can always bring happiness to your darkest days. Always. Him, just him, the one that held the key to your heart for the last, say, 4 years?

Yes, just him. EXO’s voice who is now also EXO’s composer, the one and only, Park Chan Yeol.

 

 

“Buy me another drink, then,” you tap your pencil to the almost empty plastic cup just beside your right hand, doing your best to not smile.

“Done, miss Doctor!” he lean back and fold his arms, teasing you with your title.

You raised an eyebrow, asking for an explanation. He replied you with a smirk and took out a buzzer, placing it on the table as if he’s winning a bet. Lost, you can only shook your head and gave up on your sulk.

He knows how to deal with you. He knows it best.

 

“What did you order me?” you question him.

“Your favorite,” he simply answered.

“And what is it?”

“You’ll see!” he put his mask back on and took off to pick up the drinks he ordered as the buzzer called for its holder.

Shaking your head in disbelief, your eyes followed him to the counter and back with two drinks in his hands. A dark brown iced drink in his left and a two colored drink, white and lighter brown on his right.

He definitely got yours right.

 

“Iced caramel macchiato, with non-fat milk and whipped cream,” he smiled in triumph and handed you your drink while sipping on his own Americano. You can no longer held back your smile. He's got a pretty good memory.

 

“Come on, I don't have much time! Baekhyun is gonna tease me to death if I'm back late,” he helped you pack your belongings as you prepare yourself.

 

This is only your fourth time going out with him since you arrived in South Korea 4 months ago. First one is just like when you first snuck him out of his hotel back in your country; midnight convenience store raid. Second time was spent only in 15 minutes cause some girls started recognizing him. Third were midnight movie time together with Sehun and Kai. Today, he had asked you to wait for him in this coffee shop, he wanted to take you to his father’s cafe before it is actually open.

 

As how you usually cover yourself when you meets him, you puts on his sunglasses that he gave you back in Guam’s airport and puts on your hat. As casual as you both can, you exit the coffee shop and started walking, tightening your coats as the autumn breeze hits you. Taking precautions, you walk around, avoiding the main roads. Chanyeol acted as your guide as he is more familiar with the surroundings. After about 10 minutes walking, you arrived at the cafe.

 

좋은세상만들기.

Make a better place.

 

Chanyeol made a phone call and soon, the cafe was unlocked from the inside. It was an hour before their official opening hour, so beside the few staff inside, it was still empty. Chanyeol immediately position himself in his most comfortable seat, his throne; behind the drums. Smiling, you sat on the nearest table and puts down your drink, expecting a show from the drummer.

 

A few sound check against the membranes and he starts.

 

A constant basic beat at first; bass, snare, cymbal. Within a minute after you both entered, the quiet cafe has now been filled with loud banging of a drum set. You just sat there; enjoying the beats he produce, admiring his every movement, drowned deeper with every hit of his drumstick, lost in the beauty of a beat.

 

Not too long, he stopped to catch his breath and looked at you, asking with his eyes. You felt your cheeks rigid from smiling too long but you smiled wider and clapped your hands, approving his performance. Happy that you liked it, he stood and bowed deep to three direction, as if the cafe is fully packed and he had just finished playing for a concert.

 

The thought had sparked another idea in your head.

Giant,” you called him out. “Do you remember your drum solo during EXO’s first solo concert?”

 

His eyebrows got closer to each other and he closed his eyes. Thinking, remembering.

He started with the cymbals and hi-hat, his lips humming the intro melody. Instantly, your memory brings you back to when you saw him play in front of your very eyes.

Then, the eight snare hits. Marks the beginning of his performance.

 

 

But he suddenly stops. Again, derailing your train of thought.

 

“Ah, I used a double bass!!” his right foot hitting on an imaginary pedal of an imaginary second bass. You chuckle at his body gag.

“Ah, wait,” he took out his phone and started searching for videos. Having watched his own performance many years ago, he recreated the 1 minute 30 second show to the basic drum kit he had in this cafe.

“I can definitely do better than that now,” he state more to himself than to you, proud if his own reproduction just now.

 

*     *     *

 

“Chanyeol-ah!” a man’s voice called, causing Chanyeol to turn.

“Appa!” he carefully skipped the drum kit and ran, bending his knees to match his father’s hug. “Appa, guess who?” Chanyeol lets go and ask you to come closer.

“Annyeonghaseo, Abonim,” you bowed, showing your respect. “It’s nice meeting you again,” you shook his hands.

“(Y/N)!” he exclaimed.

“Ne, Abonim, it’s me, (Y/N),” you can’t help but smile, happy that Chanyeol’s dad remembered you.

"You speak Korean now!" he chuckled.

"Ah, ne. I studied Korean quite a lot since we last meet."

"How are you? I heard you finished your studies and is a doctor now?"

 

And so you chat with him, sitting beside Chanyeol with his dad across you. You talked about the reason you're in Korea; to study, of course! A good doctor never stops learning! He also asked about your family and how they're doing. The three of you exchange stories and laughs, until time has forced you to stop.

 

"Abonim, we're almost open," a staff that has been agitated to speak finally found a space between your chattering.

"Ah, okay okay. Chanyeol and (Y/N), you two should go. We'll meet again soon, okay (Y/N)?" he rose from his seat and shook your hands again.

"Ne, Abonim. It's nice meeting you again,"

"Take care of Chanyeol, too! He still has your picture beside his bed," he winked.

"APPA!!" Chanyeol protested.

You bit your lips to suppress a smile, but failed to hide your blush. It's not a secret that both of you have a mutual feeling, but the image of him keeping your picture has just made you so happy.

"He has a song for you, too!" he continued, making you raise your head from curiosity.

"Ahh! Appa! Hajima!!" Chanyeol stomped his feet.

"Oh, he has one, Abonim? I have never heard of it!" you folded your arms, challenging Chanyeol.

"No, no, no!" he obviously panicked, shaking his hands and head vigorously. Not buying him, his father chuckled and you keep your stance plus raised one eyebrow.

"It's just a scratch! I haven't finished it!" Chanyeol defended.

"Well, finish it quickly, I wanted to hear!" you smiled in glee. You and his father has successfully cornered him.

"Aish, okay okay! I will let you listen to it once I'm done," he scratched his un-itchy head.

"Yess!! It's a promise, then!" you held out your pinky finger which slowly intertwined with his.

"Abonim, you're the witness, okay!" you looked at his dad which were laughing and nodding at the scene before him, finding you two lovebirds extremely cute.

"Aish, come on bunny, let's go," Chanyeol took your hand and guided you through the back door, continuing your unofficial date with EXO's Park Chanyeol.

 

 

This day is just getting started!!