Your Smiles

Words We Couldn't Bear To Say

When Seulgi first met Joohyun, she didn’t really know how to talk to her. Joohyun was three years older, quiet, tiny, and pale. She was also really pretty, and it didn’t help with Seulgi’s nervousness around her.

“I’m Kang Seulgi,” Seulgi bowed to the other girl, smiling brightly.

“I’m Bae Joohyun,” Joohyun returned the bow, smiling shyly.

Seulgi stared at her in awe. This girl was the prettiest girl she had ever met.

It was Seulgi’s second year in the company when the older girl joined in, and her practice sessions coincided with Joohyun’s most of the time. In the days following their first meeting, Seulgi began getting to know the older girl. They began talking more in between sessions, sat next to each other in the cafeteria, but Seulgi needed more. She wanted the other girl to open up to her, wanted them to share their dreams and ideas with each other.

“Unnie!” Seulgi ran to catch up with the older girl. “Wait up!”

Joohyun stopped walking and turned around. Seulgi was now right in front of her, wearing a yellow hoodie and a bagpack. It was 4 PM in the company. Practice ended an hour ago, but Joohyun took the initiative to seek out her vocal coach for extra training for thirty minutes.

“Seulgi-ya, I thought you went home already,” Joohyun took notice of Seulgi’s appearance. She looked disheveled, she looked like she hadn’t freshen up after their dance practice. Maybe she hadn’t.

“I was looking for you,” Seulgi said. “Unnie, let’s go eat together tonight!”

Joohyun blinked. “Huh?”

Seulgi smiled brightly at her. “There’s this little place I know that had the best fishcakes! You have to try it. All my other friends that I took there agreed with me.”

Joohyun would never say it out loud (not in a few years, anyway) but she loved seeing Seulgi’s smile. It was the kind of smile that brightened the whole room, and made you want to smile along with her. It warmed her heart to see Seulgi make an effort to get to know her. She honestly didn’t think a girl as bubbly as Seulgi would be interested in being friends with her.

“Alright,” Joohyun agreed shyly. “I’d love to.”

Seulgi beamed. “Wonderful! But, uh, can you wait for ten minutes? I need to take a shower first.”

Since that evening, Seulgi and Joohyun soon became inseparable. Seulgi didn’t know it yet at the time, but her life would soon revolve around the older girl in the years to come.


A/N: Sorry the first chapter is so short...this is just a little preview lol. I will update very soon :)