Distance

Distance

I sit beside him on his bed with our backs resting against the wall. We both knew that our time was limited but never did we think that it was going to end so soon. “You have all your socks?” I ask holding back my tears as I look at his now empty drawer. Letting out a soft giggle he replies, “Yeah.”

Turning my head to face him, his eyes were already looking for mine. His green eyes look so peaceful in the dimly lit room but it was starting to look glassy. A tear fell from his eye and I instantly wrap my arms around him. “I’m going to miss you so damn much.” I say, his scent filling my nose.

Without a word, he tightens his embrace around me and I hear his small sobs. Unable to hold myself any longer, my own tears begin to flow from my eyes.

After holding each other for a period of time, we look at the clock and get off the bed slowly. He grabs his suitcase, and I grab his backpack. As we walk, I notice the ticket in his back pocket. My heart was shattering as we get closer and closer to the airport.

Though my heart was falling apart, I wasn’t angry that we decided to put ourselves first before anyone. Many pestered us about why we didn’t decide to go to the same college.

I park the car and we sit as the radio plays softly in the background.  He stretches his hand toward me, and I lace mine in its empty spaces. As usual his hands were warm and he guides our locked hands toward his lips. He kisses my hand, sending his warmth all throughout my body.

With that I knew that it was time to exit the car. I remove the key from the ignition and we grab his luggage and head off. We embrace one last time before he boards the plane. He kisses me softly on the lips and at that moment, time stopped.

We love each other, and we knew that giving up on our dreams for one another would only make us bitter. We even talked about the possibility of meeting new people that we might fall for, but even then, we knew what we had to do.

We knew in our hearts, that we love each other; as true friends, as lovers, and as beautiful memories. Though we may have had our differences it was never enough to drive us apart.

We understand what it feels like to truly love someone.